HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Offseason Thread (Part VII) - "GIVE US BOOBY RYAN!"

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-21-2012, 12:43 PM
  #926
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
Bite your tongue.
Ok but that hurts. Honestly though if they are offering JVR + for Nash and Howson isn't taking it they'll offer him for Ryan. Anaheim doesn't want to take on salary? Well JVR is cheaper, gotta give to get and all that. Anaheim will have to take some salary in the deal. Ryan is easier for Philly to fit, Holmgren likes trading for big names. Seriously the guy has an itchy trigger finger during the offseason. Carter and Richards aren't the type of players you win with hahahah.

Barbara Underhill is offline  
Old
06-21-2012, 12:47 PM
  #927
Killem Dafoe
Moderator
k.
 
Killem Dafoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Land of Bad Drivers
Country: United States
Posts: 16,221
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Ok but that hurts. Honestly though if they are offering JVR + for Nash and Howson isn't taking it they'll offer him for Ryan. Anaheim doesn't want to take on salary? Well JVR is cheaper, gotta give to get and all that. Anaheim will have to take some salary in the deal. Ryan is easier for Philly to fit, Holmgren likes trading for big names. Seriously the guy has an itchy trigger finger during the offseason. Carter and Richards aren't the type of players you win with hahahah.
Yeah. But..but then Ryan won't be a Ranger...

Killem Dafoe is online now  
Old
06-21-2012, 12:50 PM
  #928
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
Yeah. But..but then Ryan won't be a Ranger...
Sad but true.

Barbara Underhill is offline  
Old
06-21-2012, 12:52 PM
  #929
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
A lot of the discussion about bringing in a big time scorer focuses on next year. Softening the blow from the loss of Gaborik, opportunity to win is now, etc, etc, etc. I wonder if that actually jives with what the Rangers front office thinks? I get the feeling that this team is thinking long-term, not just short term.
I think the thrill of the chase far outweighs the longterm implications for many posters around here. Its an epidemic of sorts.

Hope the organization doesnt think the same way.

If they give up a king's ransom in assets while taking on Nash's ridiculous contract, I am going to be pissed.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
06-21-2012, 12:54 PM
  #930
Barnaby
Registered User
 
Barnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,589
vCash: 500
I do have my reservations about Nash - due to the combo contract + assets... but let's say that he did come here, and Stepan wasn't included... I wouldn't be surprised to see him raise his level, and really have a special season. Tell me this wouldn't be a nasty top 6...

Kreider-Richards-Gaborik
Nash-Stepan-Callahan

Two potentially lethal lines or teams to worry about. Shutting down one line is no longer enough...

Barnaby is offline  
Old
06-21-2012, 12:55 PM
  #931
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,258
vCash: 500
why would Anaheim want more forwards going back for Ryan? They need defenseman.

Inferno is offline  
Old
06-21-2012, 12:55 PM
  #932
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Im in agreement, and I hope they are. This team has a foreseeable window that runs through the end of Gaborik's contract in 2 years. By that time, Lundqvist is 32, Richards is 34, and you potentially have a 40 goal hole in the roster. Given the trade/free agent landscape this summer, it makes it even more evident that the core of this current squad deserves one more shot this season. Sign a Whitney-type stopgag for one year at forward, sign a cheap 1 year veteran option for defense, and dont try to fit a round peg into a square hole by making a big splash.

There will be time to re-evaluate at the trade deadline and, especially, next season when the window begins closing and the free agent class is much, much better.
I'm thinking more along the lines of what assets they have at their disposal. What if they're anticipating Jordan Staal on the open market next year? Does that make Stepan available for Bobby Ryan? Add Ryan this year, Staal the next, and you're looking at a top-six of:

Hagelin (or a surprise) - Richards - Gaborik
Kreider - Staal - Ryan

One year of being stacked, and probably wedged right up against the cap. Added development from Kreider, McDonagh, and Del Zotto. Advancement from Erixon and McIlrath. Then you make the decision to cut ties with Gaborik, or get him to re-sign for a cheaper deal to try and win a cup with us.

I'm wholeheartedly against planning for guys who may or may not be UFA's, but in this case, I don't doubt that the Rangers have inside information about Jordan's intentions. Sather is no boy scout.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
06-21-2012, 12:57 PM
  #933
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
why would Anaheim want more forwards going back for Ryan? They need defenseman.
Teams aren't limited to one deal an offseason. Philly needs D too but they seem intent on adding more forwards.

Barbara Underhill is offline  
Old
06-21-2012, 12:57 PM
  #934
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
why would Anaheim want more forwards going back for Ryan? They need defenseman.
They also need a second line center.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
06-21-2012, 12:59 PM
  #935
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
why would Anaheim want more forwards going back for Ryan? They need defenseman.
They also need a 2nd line c, which is why Stepan would have to go for Ryan in any deal.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
06-21-2012, 01:00 PM
  #936
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Teams aren't limited to one deal an offseason. Philly needs D too but they seem intent on adding more forwards.
If I'm philly, I'm trading for Webber

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
06-21-2012, 01:04 PM
  #937
IBleedNYRBlue
Registered User
 
IBleedNYRBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
I don't understand Philly.

They were a top 5 offense and averaged over 3.5 goals per game in the playoffs, yet they're going after another forward? The last thing they need is scoring. Their defense was an abomination. They should be using their money in going after Suter or those assets for whatever d-men may be on the market.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline  
Old
06-21-2012, 01:04 PM
  #938
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
I don't understand Philly.

They were a top 5 offense and averaged over 3.5 goals per game in the playoffs, yet they're going after another forward? The last thing they need is scoring. Their defense was an abomination. They should be using their money in going after Suter or those assets for whatever d-men may be on the market.
they could probably offer that jvr+schenn package for Webber.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
06-21-2012, 01:06 PM
  #939
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
I could see why you wouldn't want to give it up for Nash, but why on earth would no one be willing to give up Stepan, a prospect and a pick in a deal for Ryan??
Because Stepan plays center and Ryan doesn't.
Because Dubi makes more money and trading him instead would balance the cap better.
Because Stepan is younger than Dubi and still hasn't peaked.
Because Stepan just put up 51 points and Dubi put up 34.

If anaheim won't take Dubi + futures for Ryan, then I don't make the deal. And I don't think they would take that for him. They want younger, cheaper NHL players, but I'm not willing to give those types of players up.

GAGLine is offline  
Old
06-21-2012, 01:06 PM
  #940
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
If I'm philly, I'm trading for Webber
Yeah we all know they need D but apparently they don't.

Barbara Underhill is offline  
Old
06-21-2012, 01:07 PM
  #941
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
why would Anaheim want more forwards going back for Ryan? They need defenseman.
Depth.

GAGLine is offline  
Old
06-21-2012, 01:08 PM
  #942
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Because Stepan plays center and Ryan doesn't.
Because Dubi makes more money and trading him instead would balance the cap better.
Because Stepan is younger than Dubi and still hasn't peaked.
Because Stepan just put up 51 points and Dubi put up 34.

If anaheim won't take Dubi + futures for Ryan, then I don't make the deal. And I don't think they would take that for him. They want younger, cheaper NHL players, but I'm not willing to give those types of players up.
1. We can always find another C
2. Ryan makes 5M, we can add a 5M cap hit
3. I agree with this but still Ryan is better and will be better
4. Dubinsky is not going to get Ryan.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
06-21-2012, 01:08 PM
  #943
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Yeah we all know they need D but apparently they don't.
Nash makes no sense for them, they will win games 10-9?

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
06-21-2012, 01:09 PM
  #944
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,000
vCash: 500
So guys want jordan staal.. guess trading marc is pretty stupid, no?

DutchShamrock is offline  
Old
06-21-2012, 01:09 PM
  #945
Barnaby
Registered User
 
Barnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
They also need a 2nd line c, which is why Stepan would have to go for Ryan in any deal.
Tough pill to swallow... Talent-wise Ryan is absolutely worth it. However, this now creates a hole here at 2C. I really don't see Anisimov in that spot. It's clear that centermen are essential in this league. Is this team better with Ryan on the wing, and then Richards-Anisimov-Boyle up the middle? I don't believe so. I'm not sure the Rangers include Stepan in a package unless they have an idea about his replacement. I would be more inclined to include MDZ in a deal, but he isn't what ANA is probably looking at so it's a tough match. I eel that Ryan stays put or goes to Philly, and Nash stays put or comes to NY...

Barnaby is offline  
Old
06-21-2012, 01:11 PM
  #946
Barnaby
Registered User
 
Barnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
1. We can always find another C
2. Ryan makes 5M, we can add a 5M cap hit
3. I agree with this but still Ryan is better and will be better
4. Dubinsky is not going to get Ryan.


What makes you say that...?

Barnaby is offline  
Old
06-21-2012, 01:13 PM
  #947
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
Tough pill to swallow... Talent-wise Ryan is absolutely worth it. However, this now creates a hole here at 2C. I really don't see Anisimov in that spot. It's clear that centermen are essential in this league. Is this team better with Ryan on the wing, and then Richards-Anisimov-Boyle up the middle? I don't believe so. I'm not sure the Rangers include Stepan in a package unless they have an idea about his replacement. I would be more inclined to include MDZ in a deal, but he isn't what ANA is probably looking at so it's a tough match. I eel that Ryan stays put or goes to Philly, and Nash stays put or comes to NY...
I'm one of the few who think a Callahan-Anisimov-Kreider line would excel so I dont really have a problem with him as the #2 center. This isn't Pittsburgh where you have 3 elite centers.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
06-21-2012, 01:14 PM
  #948
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post


What makes you say that...?
if it comes down to Stepan or a Top 3 D man going the other way, it should be stepan.

with that said, I don't mind not moving Stepan at all. and just picking up some depth pieces this year. but Stepan goes before Staal, Girardi or Mcdonagh anyday imo

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
06-21-2012, 01:21 PM
  #949
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Nash makes no sense for them, they will win games 10-9?
Totally agree. But if they want to be a joke franchise let em.

Barbara Underhill is offline  
Old
06-21-2012, 01:21 PM
  #950
Barnaby
Registered User
 
Barnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
if it comes down to Stepan or a Top 3 D man going the other way, it should be stepan.

with that said, I don't mind not moving Stepan at all. and just picking up some depth pieces this year. but Stepan goes before Staal, Girardi or Mcdonagh anyday imo
I absolutely agree with you, and I can't see Tortorella being on board with moving any o them either.

I just don't know how you can move Stepan without a plan B at center. You don't need 3 elite centers like Pitt - though it would be great - but I do believe that it needs to be a point o strength. Let's also remember that Richards is getting up there in age... can you really move Stepan, even though Ryan is clearly the better player?

Barnaby is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.