HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Mock Draft 2012 Edition (Canucks pick G Malcom Subban)

Old
06-19-2012, 07:14 PM
kthsn

vCash: 1785
Always draft BPA.

If that's Subban so be it.

We need someone to replace Honzik in few years.

kthsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Mudshark50

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Well, with one of Luongo or Schneider on the move and Lack potentially coming up into the bigs as a back-up, that really leaves us with Joe Cannata. Despite his impressive college resume, he is pretty well untested at the pro level. After him it's David Honzik, who has been anything but inspiring since being drafted.

Schneider was drafted eight years ago, and Lack was signed almost three years ago - it takes a while to develop goaltenders. So drafting Subban now might be a shrewd move to plan for the future. I wouldn't be disappointed with him, but this is all just my opinion.

EDIT: I think the bigger surprise is that they foresee Grigorenko falling all the way to 17th. I highly doubt that.
I'm not sure I would use a first rounder on a young goaltender with the potential of Lack and Cannata both running fairly high.

I guess that begs the question: Is Subban the best available player at that point in the draft?

Mudshark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:16 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I don't necessarilly disagree that we won't pick Subban, but at the same time - having Schneider has sure given us a massive bargaining chip in spite of having an all-world goaltender in Luongo. Having another prime-pedigree prospect such as Subban coming down the pipe may not be all that bad.

On another note, who did TSN have us picking last year in the Mock Draft?
Don't you think we have too empty of a cupboard to think about a trading chip we can move 5 years down the line?

I do.

We need young talent that can play.

Subban in our development system is easily 4-5 years from NHL time in a perfect world.

Rather draft a skater.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:16 PM
metric

Well the last goalie we took at 26th overall turned out okay.

But, yes, can't see us taking Subban. I do agree we do need to add to our goalie depth relatively soon but will probably be fine doing that three free agency.

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:17 PM
iCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnell G View Post
Luongo,Schneider,lack,Cannata,Subban,honzik. Mad goalie depth. Very crowded too.
Who was that other guy we had who was above Cannata in the depth chart...was playing in Europe? Jonathon.....someone.

iCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:18 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanuck View Post
Who was that other guy we had who was above Cannata in the depth chart...was playing in Europe? Jonathon.....someone.
Illiahti.

We didn't sign him, lost his rights.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:19 PM
whoshouse

I hope the general consensus around the league is that Columbus wants Murray with the 2nd overall pick. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Columbus insists on trading their pick if Edmonton goes with Murray (which isn't very far fetched).

I could see Gillis planning on these circumstances to unfold. That way, he can swoop in and pick up Yakupov.

whoshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
metric

Quote:
Iilahti

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CookieCrumbs*
Heads Up!

I say we take Samuelsson.

CookieCrumbs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:20 PM
Darnell G

Quote:
Jonathan Iilahti forgot him :p don't think we own his right anymore though

Darnell G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:27 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 50
While I agree I don't see you guys taking Subban..I can't help but think back to 2005 when Montreal had a very good goalie in Theodore and drafted Price 5th overall.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:29 PM
digger18

Price was a cant miss prospect and Theodore already had the rumours of gang ties and steroid use swirling around him.

digger18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:34 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 50
Price was predicted by most around 15-20 and went 5th overall. This would have Subban going around where most expect him to.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:39 PM
DL44

vCash: 133
Looking through the selections, i was actually upset to see the Blues take Samuelsson the pick before us... Then i realized it was a mock draft.

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:41 PM
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch

vCash: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
Price was predicted by most around 15-20 and went 5th overall. This would have Subban going around where most expect him to.
I don't really disagree - I think Subban is going to be a top-10 talent from this draft, and it wouldn't surprise me if he is the second best player, when we look back upon this draft in 5 years. And I get the feeling Vasilevski will be a top-10 talent as well.

Having said that, we have incredible goalie depth. Amongst the best, if not outright the best, in the league.

I wouldn't be upset with Subban, but a skater might be the more fitting option for us.

Socratic Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:45 PM
m9

I'm all for always picking BPA in the draft. That being said, if a goalie is clearly BPA many other teams should feel the same way and we should be able to parlay that pick into other picks or players that fill out our organization a bit better via trade.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:45 PM
KISSland

In all honesty, why not?

If he falls to us would you be upset not to pick the BPA? Even if he doesn't fit a need you can never have too many goalies, unless you sign on to a 10 year contract.

I'd be happy with Subban.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:52 PM
HankieDankie

BPA always.

HankieDankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:58 PM
CookieCrumbs*
Heads Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL44 View Post
Looking through the selections, i was actually upset to see the Blues take Samuelsson the pick before us... Then i realized it was a mock draft.
As was I. I really hope we take him. He could turn into the exact sort of player we need.

CookieCrumbs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:04 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudshark50 View Post
I'm not sure I would use a first rounder on a young goaltender with the potential of Lack and Cannata both running fairly high.

I guess that begs the question: Is Subban the best available player at that point in the draft?
Lack and Cannata aren't in the same category at this point. Lack has proven himself at the AHL level as well as the SEL - Cannata had an impressive college career, but his pro experience thus far consists of one game (albeit a very good one). At this stage, we have one of Luongo/Schneider on the way out, Lack graduating to the NHL (most likely), and Cannata taking over in Manitoba. After that, it's Honzik - who I think most of us can agree has underwhelmed to this stage.

Now, several good points have been made insofar as the fact that we have a dearth of good prospects in other areas. Defensemen come to mind, so I'm not necessarily advocating taking Subban over any of the forwards or defenders who might be available at that spot. Off the top of my head, Laughton, Matteau and Thrower were still there and I greatly like them both. I'm just saying I see the reasoning behind drafting a goaltender there, especially one who has been as impressive to date as Subban has. He would have plenty of time to hone his natural talents in the Canucks' system which is beneficial for a goaltender. I used the example of Schneider before, in that he was drafted 8 years ago now and is only now primed to take over the No. 1 job.

Long and short is, I think we could do worse than drafting Subban at No. 26.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:11 PM
duplo

They don't even have Aberg going in the first round? Did they just forget about him or something?

duplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:12 PM
biturbo19

If this actually happens on Friday, i'd throw a wrench through my tv so hard it hits McGuire in the noggin, bounces off and hit Gillis in the shins.

So many things wrong with that pick for us.

1)Goaltender depth here, vs. Skater prospect depth - we have Lack, Cannata, and we really still have no idea what we've got in Honzik. As for skaters, we have a lot of interesting projects, but we badly need top end talent. I'm hoping we grab another goaltender in the mid-later rounds. Someone like Matt Murray would interest me a bit. Heck, even 2nd round wouldn't bug me if there's a solid option available. But not the 1st round.

2)Subban would be eaten alive here the way we treat goaltenders. His demeanor just isn't a fit as a goaltender in Vancouver.

3)Subjectively speaking, i'm just really not that high on Subban as an NHL goaltender. That's a personal judgment call...but i'm not as high as many seem to be on either of the top-2 goaltenders. I liked John Gibson last year more than either of the top-2 this year. And i think BPA gets twisted a bit in cases like this...to me, it's not about drafting off a consensus list, it's about getting the guys that you value most and feel are the best fit for your team and organization at a given point in the draft. For me, Subban isn't it at #26.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:14 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by duplo View Post
They don't even have Aberg going in the first round? Did they just forget about him or something?
Nor Collberg.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Canucker

I don't see why people are making a fuss about picking Subban (or any goalie). You take the BPA (Best Player Available), if that happens to be a goalie, take him. A high end goalie can help you just as much as any other positioned player, whether in your own lineup or in a trade.

Canucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:03 PM
rebel diamond

There's no such thing as a consensus Best Player Available this far down the draft. I feel like BPA only really holds true for the top 10-15 picks.

I've never been a big fan of drafting goalies in the first round, but if the Canucks really like him and think he fills a need then I wouldn't be all that upset about the pick. But doing it just because he's the highest-rated player left on the board is just foolish.

rebel diamond is offline   Reply With Quote