HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carey Price (UPD: McKenzie expects 6-7 years, $6-6.5m per, to be done soon)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-22-2012, 11:01 AM
  #301
Frank Drebin
Registered User
 
Frank Drebin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,549
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
People are ok that Gionta makes 5mil but can't stomach the idea that Price could command around 7mil... massive facepalm.
We are OK with Gionta making 5 mil just about as OK we are with trading Gomez for Mcdonaugh...not much we can do about past mistakes.

So how do you right the ship? Just keep piling on bad contracts from past precedence?

Frank Drebin is offline  
Old
06-22-2012, 11:08 AM
  #302
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
We are OK with Gionta making 5 mil just about as OK we are with trading Gomez for Mcdonaugh...not much we can do about past mistakes.

So how do you right the ship? Just keep piling on bad contracts from past precedence?
If you wanted to low-ball Price, we should have kept Halak. That's not the case, he has all the leverage in the world, he'll get at least 7mil a year... and you're obliged to sign him or massively fail for 5+ years.

I repeat a lot of posters here will be shocked by the numbers of Price's next contract.

He might be a RFA, but he can sit out... and he's known to be patient (just remember how long it took to negociate his last contract).

Anyways... the cap goes up, so it's not as scary as it could have been.

MTL-rules is offline  
Old
06-22-2012, 11:15 AM
  #303
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
7 Million per is about right! Just because Gomez & Gionta are on the roster doesn't mean Montreal should low ball their actual best players!

Player 61 is offline  
Old
06-22-2012, 11:25 AM
  #304
FlyingRat
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 431
vCash: 500
Gionta at 5M hasn't been a mistake for us at all.

He's averaging over 30 goals per 82 games played. How much do other 30 goal scorers get as unrestricted free agents?

FlyingRat is offline  
Old
06-22-2012, 11:27 AM
  #305
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingRat View Post
Gionta at 5M hasn't been a mistake for us at all.

He's averaging over 30 goals per 82 games played. How much do other 30 goal scorers get as unrestricted free agents?
Gionta's contract isn't all that bad! He plays hard! Maybe next Masterson winner! Just trying to make a point!

Player 61 is offline  
Old
06-22-2012, 11:47 AM
  #306
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Bobrovsky is going for 2 4th round picks and a 2nd according to Bobby Mac on Twitter, maybe that's what Price doubters want instead!

Player 61 is offline  
Old
06-22-2012, 11:52 AM
  #307
UniverStalinGraduate*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
No he doesn't.

We're not a contending team, we can afford to let him go. I don't mind paying him a fair price but if he wants to cash out we should trade him.
Hahahha

Go cheer for a different team please.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline  
Old
06-22-2012, 01:20 PM
  #308
Kimota
Three Bananas
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 23,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPac67 View Post
7 Million per is about right! Just because Gomez & Gionta are on the roster doesn't mean Montreal should low ball their actual best players!
Price should command a great contract but I think 7 Million is crazy. He has proven nothing so far. We like the guy and he's great but let's keep our feet on the ground. 6 million is the right number because he is easily a Top 5 goalie. But going beyond that is nuts.

Kimota is offline  
Old
06-22-2012, 01:24 PM
  #309
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
If you wanted to low-ball Price, we should have kept Halak. That's not the case, he has all the leverage in the world, he'll get at least 7mil a year... and you're obliged to sign him or massively fail for 5+ years.

I repeat a lot of posters here will be shocked by the numbers of Price's next contract.

He might be a RFA, but he can sit out... and he's known to be patient (just remember how long it took to negociate his last contract).

Anyways... the cap goes up, so it's not as scary as it could have been.
He doesn't have all the leverage, it would go to arbitration and he would get less than that over the first year.

I think both sides want a long term deal and Price's camp will give a bit...I see 6 or 7 years and years at 6-6.5, this makes a lot of sense for both sides. 6 years and 37-38 mil or 7 years and 43-44 mil.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
06-22-2012, 01:46 PM
  #310
UniverStalinGraduate*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Price should command a great contract but I think 7 Million is crazy. He has proven nothing so far. We like the guy and he's great but let's keep our feet on the ground. 6 million is the right number because he is easily a Top 5 goalie. But going beyond that is nuts.
He's proven nothing, but he's a top 5 goalie?

6 million is the "right" number but 7 million is crazy?

Where do people come up with this stuff?

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline  
Old
06-22-2012, 02:02 PM
  #311
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 29,770
vCash: 152
I like Carey Price.

Le Tricolore is offline  
Old
06-22-2012, 03:10 PM
  #312
habsfanatics*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
He's proven nothing, but he's a top 5 goalie?

6 million is the "right" number but 7 million is crazy?

Where do people come up with this stuff?
He's closer to 15th than 5th imo.

habsfanatics* is offline  
Old
06-22-2012, 03:16 PM
  #313
WolfgangAmadeusEller*
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Burlington
Country: United States
Posts: 2,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
I like Carey Price.
I like Carey Price.

WolfgangAmadeusEller* is offline  
Old
06-22-2012, 03:21 PM
  #314
UniverStalinGraduate*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
He's closer to 15th than 5th imo.
I'd like to see you, with a straight face, name 10 goalies who are better than Price, let alone 14.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline  
Old
06-22-2012, 03:36 PM
  #315
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
I'd like to see you, with a straight face, name 10 goalies who are better than Price, let alone 14.
Henrik Lundqvist-NYR
Martin Brodeur-NJ
Marc-Andre Fleury-PIT
Carey Price-MTL
Ryan Miller-BUF
Tim Thomas-BOS
Tuuka Rask(BU)-BOS
Cam Ward-CAR
Jimmy Howard-DET
Jaroslav Halak-STL
Brian Elliot-STL
Pekka Rinne-NSH
Roberto Luongo-VAN
Cory Schneider(BU)-VAN
Mikka Kipprusoff-CGY
Nik Backstrom-MIN
Semyon Varlamov-COL
Jonas Hiller-ANA
Johnathan Quick-LA
Johnathan Bernier(BU)-LA
Mike Smith-PHO
Kari Letohnen-DAL

Here's a list of 22 goalies. Why don't you pick the 4 others that are better than/ equal to Price. I'd like to see who you leave behind. Price is a very good goalie but he isn't the only game in town.

Frozenice is offline  
Old
06-22-2012, 04:15 PM
  #316
Kimota
Three Bananas
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 23,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
He's proven nothing, but he's a top 5 goalie?

6 million is the "right" number but 7 million is crazy?

Where do people come up with this stuff?
He's Top 5 on pure talent, but you don't pay on talent alone. I mean 7 million? On a 27th overall team?

Kimota is offline  
Old
06-22-2012, 04:29 PM
  #317
Provost
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
He's Top 5 on pure talent, but you don't pay on talent alone. I mean 7 million? On a 27th overall team?
How is the fact the rest of the team is bad Price's problem?

If anything it makes it MORE expensive to keep a star player on a losing roster and not less. Not sure where you logic is coming from... "Hey Price's agent... we know he is a star player... but our team sucks so we think he should play for less than market value because we are bad at our jobs"

... actually come to think of it, that is exactly what the league does with the NHLPA... so maybe it is not that far fetched.

The two sentences that came out of the same post... Price is a top 5 goalie and $7 million is ridiculous make no sense.

A top 5 goalie is worth $7 million and that is what they are getting now. So either he is not a top 5 guy or someone doesn't have a good grasp of what players cost.

Provost is offline  
Old
06-22-2012, 04:32 PM
  #318
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Henrik Lundqvist-NYR
Martin Brodeur-NJ
Marc-Andre Fleury-PIT
Carey Price-MTL
Ryan Miller-BUF
Tim Thomas-BOS
Tuuka Rask(BU)-BOS
Cam Ward-CAR
Jimmy Howard-DET
Jaroslav Halak-STL
Brian Elliot-STL
Pekka Rinne-NSH
Roberto Luongo-VAN
Cory Schneider(BU)-VAN
Mikka Kipprusoff-CGY
Nik Backstrom-MIN
Semyon Varlamov-COL
Jonas Hiller-ANA
Johnathan Quick-LA
Johnathan Bernier(BU)-LA
Mike Smith-PHO
Kari Letohnen-DAL

Here's a list of 22 goalies. Why don't you pick the 4 others that are better than/ equal to Price. I'd like to see who you leave behind. Price is a very good goalie but he isn't the only game in town.
Lundqvist, Thomas, Ward, Rinne, Quick are the only ones who'd give me pause. Brodeur, Kipper and Luongo, are much more proven but I'd rather Price. Fleury, Halak, Elliot, Hiller, Varlamov are inconsistent in my opinion (the STL players need to prove it again next year). Bernier is hype. Letohnen, Smith, Backstrom, Howard, Rask... I just don't rate as better than Price.

WhiskeySeven* is offline  
Old
06-22-2012, 08:42 PM
  #319
the
Registered User
 
the's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,294
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Lundqvist, Thomas, Ward, Rinne, Quick are the only ones who'd give me pause. Brodeur, Kipper and Luongo, are much more proven but I'd rather Price. Fleury, Halak, Elliot, Hiller, Varlamov are inconsistent in my opinion (the STL players need to prove it again next year). Bernier is hype. Letohnen, Smith, Backstrom, Howard, Rask... I just don't rate as better than Price.
I don't think that Jonas Hiller is inconsistent, the guy came back from inujuries...1 average season doesn't make him inconsistent. Same thing with Halak, he had one average season because of injuries and adapting to a new team. Rask is a very good goalie also who wasn't rushed. Backstrom is also a strong goalie who's getting older but gets the job done. I wouldn't mind having any these goalies.

the is offline  
Old
06-22-2012, 09:02 PM
  #320
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the View Post
I don't think that Jonas Hiller is inconsistent, the guy came back from inujuries...1 average season doesn't make him inconsistent. Same thing with Halak, he had one average season because of injuries and adapting to a new team. Rask is a very good goalie also who wasn't rushed. Backstrom is also a strong goalie who's getting older but gets the job done. I wouldn't mind having any these goalies.
Would you take any of them over Price?

WhiskeySeven* is offline  
Old
06-22-2012, 09:57 PM
  #321
MicroFracture
Registered User
 
MicroFracture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Trois-Rivieres
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mind View Post
I like Carey Price.
I like Carey Price too, and he'll get signed in the first weeks of July to a reasonable contract.

Not sure why people are freaking out

MicroFracture is offline  
Old
06-22-2012, 10:49 PM
  #322
digmor crusher
Registered User
 
digmor crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 729
vCash: 500
Price does not have the stats to get one cent over 6 million per, plain and simple people. He is not a top 5 goalie in the league, top 10 maybe. Anyone disagrees please provide stats showing different.

digmor crusher is offline  
Old
06-22-2012, 11:17 PM
  #323
the
Registered User
 
the's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,294
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Would you take any of them over Price?
I wouldn't take any of them over Price since he still has a lot more to offer but the gap isn't huge between them and Price. If Price gets his 6m + then I would be more then happy to have the goalies that I mentioned and never look back since they earn far less then what Price might get and that salary doesn't justify that gap in talent between him and the guys I mentioned minus Backstrom.

the is offline  
Old
06-22-2012, 11:28 PM
  #324
THE HOFF
Registered User
 
THE HOFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
If you wanted to low-ball Price, we should have kept Halak. That's not the case, he has all the leverage in the world, he'll get at least 7mil a year... and you're obliged to sign him or massively fail for 5+ years.

I repeat a lot of posters here will be shocked by the numbers of Price's next contract.

He might be a RFA, but he can sit out... and he's known to be patient (just remember how long it took to negociate his last contract).

Anyways... the cap goes up, so it's not as scary as it could have been.
alright , let's wait and see how that statement looks in a couple of weeks. I mean the cap hit is all that matters and I think its going to be 5m to 5.5m per ... if you think they are working a LONG TERM DEAL with a cap hit of 7m++++ I must strongly disagree.


Last edited by THE HOFF: 06-23-2012 at 10:19 AM.
THE HOFF is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 07:44 AM
  #325
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,482
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Henrik Lundqvist-NYR
Martin Brodeur-NJ Too old now
Marc-Andre Fleury-PIT
Carey Price-MTL
Ryan Miller-BUF
Tim Thomas-BOS Not playing next year
Tuuka Rask(BU)-BOS
Cam Ward-CAR
Jimmy Howard-DET
Jaroslav Halak-STL
Brian Elliot-STL
Pekka Rinne-NSH
Roberto Luongo-VAN
Cory Schneider(BU)-VAN
Mikka Kipprusoff-CGY Wearing down
Nik Backstrom-MIN
Semyon Varlamov-COL
Jonas Hiller-ANA
Johnathan Quick-LA
Johnathan Bernier(BU)-LA
Mike Smith-PHO
Kari Letohnen-DAL

Here's a list of 22 goalies. Why don't you pick the 4 others that are better than/ equal to Price. I'd like to see who you leave behind. Price is a very good goalie but he isn't the only game in town.
Jonathon Quick
Pekka Rinne
Henrik Lundqvist
Ryan Miller
Carey Price

Thats my top 5 list of goalies in the NHL.

WeThreeKings is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.