HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Carey Price (UPD: McKenzie expects 6-7 years, $6-6.5m per, to be done soon)

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2012, 01:32 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
If Schneider played pretty much anyplace but Van City I would put money on it he would have been the starter. I am not saying we should trade CP but if they can't hammer out a deal then we should look at all options.

dont get carried away, that might be the case for 4-5 teams at best

Old
06-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Rocket Richard
Proud Canadian!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
What has Price done to warrant a 10 year deal? I like the guy, but he hasn't been stellar in the playoffs. He's a solid number 1, but not worth 10 years in the 7m range.
He hasn't won a playoff series yet, so gotta agree with you there!

Old
06-21-2012, 01:37 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
I agree to a point. Every player is tradeable if it makes the team better in the long run.

This one does not. Price IMO is easily a top 10 goalie in the league and the only thing that Schneider has proved is that he can be a good backup for the best team in the league.

The 2nd round pick is not enough incentive to downgrade in goal.
I would love a first but I can't see then offering up a first with having to still sign Price so a second and maybe a third for good measure.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:40 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Richard View Post
He did in 07-08.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:40 PM
MM425

Quote:
Yes he has... his rookie year he beat Boston. Played brilliantly that series as well.

He's the most proven 24 year old goalie in the league.

No need to mess around here... lock this guy up long term.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Halifaxhab

If you have a 24yo proven NHL starter, who is still improving, sign him long term. You don't trade him for an older less proven guy.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:42 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
I would love a first but I can't see then offering up a first with having to still sign Price so a second and maybe a third for good measure.

Price is the starter here, The Habs are in no real need to trade him therefore they would not need to comprimize or offer a fair deal.

you want him....pay up

I also have a feeling it would cost more to get Price than any team would be willing to give up.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:42 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
Fun fact: Price's even-strength save percentage over the last two seasons is the same as Devan Dubnyk's.

I'm hoping 5 years or less, around $5 million/year.

Fun Fact : Look at the defense in front of him...27th place team.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:43 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Why make a change when you have a guy in place that you know can do the job?

the fact that Price very good numbers despite a crappy year tells me he can handle the Montreal pressure, let's sign him long term a build a team he can win a cup with instead of some dumb high risk sideways move.
No one said it was about the pressure of playing in Montreal.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:44 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Can you please stop trolling? Vancouver would have to give up their 1sts for the next 4 years to even think about getting Price.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:44 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
You really should look up your facts before posting here. This is after all the MOST informed forum on hockey on the net.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:45 PM
glenn77

I find the entire Unrestritced/Restricted/Offer sheets, etc. VERY confusing.

Does early arbitration mean an issue with Price? How does early arbitration work?

Old
06-21-2012, 01:46 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Price is the starter here, The Habs are in no real need to trade him therefore they would not need to comprimize or offer a fair deal.

you want him....pay up

I also have a feeling it would cost more to get Price than any team would be willing to give up.
I just don't believe he is worth the money some guys are tossing around on here is he good yes is he 10 years and 6 to 7 mill a season good well that I am not sold on.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
No one said it was about the pressure of playing in Montreal.
I did.

I see no point in trading Price unoless somebody makes a ridiculous offer. Schneider and a 2nd rounder ISN'T a ridiculous offer(for the Habs to turn down).

Old
06-21-2012, 01:52 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
I just don't believe he is worth the money some guys are tossing around on here is he good yes is he 10 years and 6 to 7 mill a season good well that I am not sold on.
Lets assume the deal you mentioned is done. and schneider has a great year and the habs make the playoffs and everyone has a great season....

dont you think that Schneider will look around and what some of the other starting goalies are making and ask for that kind of money too????

all you did was doangrade in goal and delay the problem for 1 more season. or will you just want to trade Schneider next summer when he asks for too much money???

Old
06-21-2012, 01:55 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Bergevin and most of the hockey world think he is a top 5 guy or will be very soon.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:57 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Lets assume the deal you mentioned is done. and schneider has a great year and the habs make the playoffs and everyone has a great season....

don't you think that Schneider will look around and what some of the other starting goalies are making and ask for that kind of money too????

all you did was downgrade in goal and delay the problem for 1 more season. or will you just want to trade Schneider next summer???
No you bring in Schneider and work out an extension to his deal hopefully beforehand say maybe 4 years at 3.5 or so and run with it.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:58 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn77 View Post
I find the entire Unrestritced/Restricted/Offer sheets, etc. VERY confusing.

Does early arbitration mean an issue with Price? How does early arbitration work?
Not at all. Filing for arbitration only covers you from having to deal against offersheets from other teams.

Bergevin has been pretty darn busy since joining us. He needed to get his coaching staff and surroundings in order. Now he also has to deal with the draft, and after that he'll have the free agents.

He filed for arbitration, so now Bergevin has the clear conscience that no other team will be capable of signing him to an offersheet. So he can take his sweet time until the hearing to come down with a deal. Pretty simple and smart actually.

Quote:
I don't think anybody is worth a 10year deal in the high millions. Not even Crosby. It's just too risky.

That being said, trading him for a 2nd and 3rd is even dumber.

If we are to trade him, it better be for a huge return because we have absolutely no goalie prospect at all and moving him for Schneider (and pick) for example, is just not worth it.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:59 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Bergevin and most of the hockey world think he is a top 5 guy or will be very soon.
That is great but I still do not see him or any of the goalies really (I still laugh at Nashville signing Rinnie to 7 mill a season) to be worth that much cash.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
I did.

I see no point in trading Price unoless somebody makes a ridiculous offer. Schneider and a 2nd rounder ISN'T a ridiculous offer(for the Habs to turn down).
please tell me that this is a made up rumor. what a pathetic trade proposal. an unproven goalie and basically a 3rd rd pick for a top 5 goalie. Makes sense.....

Old
06-21-2012, 02:03 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
If a top goalie was UFA you'd probably see it. Bryzgalov is/was not a top 5 guy and he got close to 7mil/year up front. I think Price has a chance to be as good as anybody in 2-3 years, especially if the defense improves.
I think using a completely desperate philly team who signed bryz to a ridiculous contract as a model to follow is patently stupid.

Them overpaying and making poor decisions is unlikely to have significant impact on the market.

Their move was the exception rather than the rule.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:12 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafe View Post
Not sure where you guys are pulling these ideas that Price is a middle of the pack goaltender, have you guys not watched the habs play the past two years? Price has been by far the best player on the team for the past two years. The kid has put up some pretty impressive numbers which seem even better when you consider the defense he's been playing behind.

I don't think he will ask for 7 mil/year, but if he does, you give it to him. After three years of Gomez how can you guys justify not giving 7 mil to the teams BEST player.
I don't believe he is the teams best player. I believe in habsland we give way too much credit to the goalie and way too much blame when things go wrong.

We were a bad team last year and Price was part of it. We were outplaying everyone early on and still losing. Goalies managed to steal games from us, but Price seldom stole one for us. He kept us in most games, but wasn't the superstar he's being portrayed.

I am not knocking Price, just stating the truth.

Funny how some fans, many on here, loved all the moves being made, Cammy for Bourque, Spacek for Kaberle ect, but now that we plummeted to the bottom of the standings it's solely because of our poor roster. Where were you guys while it was happening? Cheerleading every move like usual.

I think we have plenty bigger problems then Carey Price, no doubt about that, but come on, 60-70 million? There is no reason to do this.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:12 PM
RC51

MB has done the right thing.
basically he is telling everyone DON'T TOUCH. he is and is going to continue to be a HAB. The Habs will pay Price what he deserves as a #1 goalie. Yes the Habs will sign a long term contract.
I best guess is habs want 4 years at 5-5.5 mil,Price wants 6 years at 6+.
SO guess what. My guess is 5 years at 5.750 per. and that would be fine with me. Then move on to PK. and another 5 year contract at 4.50 per.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:13 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
That is great but I still do not see him or any of the goalies really (I still laugh at Nashville signing Rinnie to 7 mill a season) to be worth that much cash.
If you look at the last 2 playoffs, goaltending is a big part of playoff success. Heck for some teams it's the difference between making or missing the playoffs, ask Toronto and Tampa Bay for example.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I think using a completely desperate philly team who signed bryz to a ridiculous contract as a model to follow is patently stupid.

Them overpaying and making poor decisions is unlikely to have significant impact on the market.

Their move was the exception rather than the rule.
There are always desperate teams. Toronto will probably end up with Luongo's huge contract.

every year there are UFA's that end up grossly overpaid(Wisniewski Leino etc)

Closed Thread