HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Burke will have tough decision to make on Gardiner

Old
06-19-2012, 11:46 PM
hockeywiz542

vCash: 500
Burke will have tough decision to make on Gardiner

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/19...ke-on-gardiner

Quote:
TORONTO - If Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke is serious about making a splash this week with a big trade, he is going to have to think long and hard about parting with defenceman Jake Gardiner.

That’s the feeling of several National Hockey League scouts who have had more than a few looks at the Leafs’ group of prospects, whether it’s with the big club, the Marlies, or at the junior or collegiate level.

And if the Leafs put a lot of stock in their young group, it’s clear that not every one agrees that Toronto is brimming with blue-chip youngsters.

“Gardiner would be the top guy,” a Western Conference scout said. “Two or three years ago, I would have said Luke Schenn. But he has not made that next step.

“For me, Joe Colborne would be the next guy after Gardiner, but to a lesser degree. Nazem Kadri still hasn’t shown he can play with men yet.

“To do something significant, the guy he would probably have to give up is Gardiner.”
Quote:
Where Burke has zero interest in trading Gardiner, many figure he would be amenable to trading Schenn. Not that he necessarily is looking to dump Schenn, mind you, but just that it would be easier to swallow than dealing Gardiner.

Burke has said he plans to hang on to the No. 5 pick, but if, for example, he wanted to pry the No. 1 pick from the Edmonton Oilers, Schenn and the fifth selection would not get it done. Gardiner and the fifth would bring such a deal closer to reality.

There’s another possible reason why Burke would not be willing to move Gardiner.

“A lot of teams are concerned about what the new CBA is going to bring,” an Eastern Conference scout said. “There’s a level of nervousness around trading prospects because you might need them as they are going to be cheaper.”

Another scout concurred that Gardiner probably would have to be moved for Burke to make a major impact.

“I don’t mind Colborne and Kadri, but Gardiner would have to be the guy,” the scout said. “You look at their top four picks in the past two years — Tyler Biggs, Stuart Percy, Brad Ross, Greg McKegg — probably two of them make it. If you have one or two top prospects, other teams will lock in on them.”

hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:51 PM
edruga

vCash: 666
This article could have been written by an hfboard member interviewing another two members.

edruga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:59 PM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

vCash: 566
LOL, Simmons likes to make up crap. Remember Sundin's career ending hip surgery. He probably got 15 west teams thinking someone else said it, when infact no one said it.

Leafs have plenty of assets, and teams would love to have Schenn; I wouldn't give him up anyways. Gardiner goes nowhere, that would be counterproductive.

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:03 AM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

There's no incentive to trading Gardiner.

These are the types of players you win with.

/thread

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:04 AM
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!

I would move Gardiner for Galchenyuk (provided we keep the 5th).

I like Gardiner; but I'ma bit more down to earth on his potential. He has some questionable lapses in his defensive game. I don't see him as a top 2 in the future.

That's my opinion; I'm sure most will not agree. Although; looking at the long line of mesiocore prospects in the past few years that the very same fans were sold on; should put things in a bit more perspective of how great fans of this team are at analyzing prospect talent.

BayStBullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:22 AM
Antropovsky

Very happy/surprised to see scouts still counting Colborne as a top prospect in our system, personally I still have a bit of hope for him, he's huge, is developing a bit of an edge, and does seem to play through alot of injuries. Not just because he played the majority of the past season with a wrist injury, but also whenever I watched his interviews, he seemingly always had a large gash on his face. Other thing I like, is he seems determined to make the big show, and prove all doubters wrong about his apparent lack of heart because of his dad's money. Hopefully Barb Underhill helps him alot this offseason, and he shows the same devotion to training as he did last season. Look out if he ever gets to around Mats 230lb weight (approx 15 more lbs), and stays relatively quick.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:23 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Decisions already been made: Gardiner stays.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:25 AM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

Burkes not trading Gardiner.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:41 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

It's not a tough decision at all to keep Gardiner.

Last edited by thebluemachine*: 06-20-2012 at 08:52 AM.
thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:44 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
There is no tough decision...it's a really easy decision.

Burke would have to be completely out of his mind to trade 5th + Gardiner for 1st.

Yakupov is a great player but he doesn't really help as much as a center can in the future while keeping a talent like Gardiner.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:50 AM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Good old Toronto Sun. Another stupid article. A combination of obvious (Gardiner having a lot of value) and yet pointless since Burke wouldn't trade him.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:00 AM
The Blue Devil

Why do people keep posting his crap like it's some kind of ground-breaking info? It's just Simmons being an idiot!

Also, don't give me the whole "it creates discussion" ******** because it doesn't! The Leafs don't have to trade Gardiner for anything, it's not a tough decision at all.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:00 AM
robdicks

Burke likes 2-way defenseman and is a GM that likes to build at tough [to play against] defense core.

I don't see Burke trading Gardiner unless he is getting a solid D-man back. The likelihood of that hapening is pretty slim, so I really don't think Gardiner will be traded.

Now that's not saying I don't agree with Simmons' assessment here. I really wouldn't be surprised if Gardiner does have to go in order for the Leafs to trade up to number one or to trade for the top line center. I agree that Gardiner is our most important and highest rated prospect right now. I guess we will just have to wait and see, but I doubt Gardiner is going anywhere.

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:02 AM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
Why do people keep posting his crap like it's some kind of ground-breaking info? It's just Simmons being an idiot!

Also, don't give me the whole "it creates discussion" ******** because it doesn't! The Leafs don't have to trade Gardiner for anything, it's not a tough decision at all.
meh, it's the offseason. Simmons is just saying that if the Leafs wanted to move up to number one Gardiner plus the 1st would probably do it. I think that is fairly obvious, but I don't think that it's just Simmons being an idiot. Just Simmons pointing out the obvious.

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:32 AM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
I don't think it's a very hard decision at all to hold on to him. Probably close to a no-brainer.

iPunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:37 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Burke may as well shoot his own foot off, if he were to trade Gardiner. So, it won't happen.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:39 AM
CommonMeans*

Maybe my view is wrong, but: if Burke is unwilling to trade Gardiner or, to a lesser extent the #1 pick, then nothing of significance will come to Toronto via a trade this off-season.

CommonMeans* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:14 AM
Dreakmur

Burke won't trade Gardiner for fair market value, but if somebody wants to overpay to bring him in, Burke would be stupid no to do it.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:14 AM
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonMeans View Post
Maybe my view is wrong, but: if Burke is unwilling to trade Gardiner or, to a lesser extent the #1 pick, then nothing of significance will come to Toronto via a trade this off-season.
The Leafs have plenty of other bargaining chips that can be packaged for something of "significance".

Now what's a Vancouver fan doing coming onto our forums telling us what we have to do with our blue-chip assets this off-season, if it isn't tied to Luongo in some way?

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:27 AM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
LOL, Simmons likes to make up crap.

Yeah except Simmons didn't write the article. That doesn't mean the article is correct by any means, but Simmons didn't write it. Did you even bother to read it?

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:30 AM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
The Leafs have plenty of other bargaining chips that can be packaged for something of "significance".

Now what's a Vancouver fan doing coming onto our forums telling us what we have to do with our blue-chip assets this off-season, if it isn't tied to Luongo in some way?
I personally don't think Luongo will be traded to Toronto, let me say that. But honestly, the Leafs do not have a lot of high quality bargaining chips, especially when it comes to youth. There are a tonne of prospects who have unproven potential. But aside from Gardiner, and maybe a devalued Schenn,, a whole bunch of question marks that will garner little in return.

Just my opinion. Not trying to piss anyone off.

Old
06-20-2012, 02:31 AM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStBullies View Post
I like Gardiner; but I'ma bit more down to earth on his potential. He has some questionable lapses in his defensive game. I don't see him as a top 2 in the future.
Considering that d-men take longer to develop than forwards it is astounding that you have already figured out how Gardiner is going to develop when he is only a kid with a single season under his belt.

Quote:
That's my opinion; I'm sure most will not agree.

Are you even aware that 'opinion' is defined as:
1. A personal belief or judgment that is not founded on proof or certainty.
2. A message expressing a belief about something; the expression of a belief that is held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof.

Quote:
Although; looking at the long line of mesiocore prospects in the past few years that the very same fans were sold on; should put things in a bit more perspective of how great fans of this team are at analyzing prospect talent.
Pot meet kettle.

What makes you such an expert at evaluating talent? Can you please provide us with details of your resume as an NHL scout, coach, or GM? Yeah, didn't think so.

Old
06-20-2012, 02:34 AM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
Considering that d-men take longer to develop than forwards it is astounding that you have already figured out how Gardiner is going to develop when he is only a kid with a single season under his belt.

Are you even aware that 'opinion' is defined as:
1. A personal belief or judgment that is not founded on proof or certainty.
2. A message expressing a belief about something; the expression of a belief that is held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof.

Pot meet kettle.

What makes you such an expert at evaluating talent? Can you please provide us with details of your resume as an NHL scout, coach, or GM? Yeah, didn't think so.
Can you say with certainty or proof that Gardiner will become a top 2 d-man in the NHL? Oh no? I guess that's your opinion.

Old
06-20-2012, 02:34 AM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
Did you read the article? Simmons didn't write it. That doesn't change anything about the article but it is a bit silly to comment on something that you apparently haven't read.

Old
06-20-2012, 02:35 AM
Raptactics29

I'd trade Gardiner + for yakupov.. go ahead and FLAME me, I dare you

Raptactics29 is offline   Reply With Quote