HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

11'/12' Offseason /Trades/Signings: Staal Traded to Carolina

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2012, 02:14 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 769
11'/12' Offseason /Trades/Signings: Staal Traded to Carolina

Only a few days before the draft.

Work those phones Burkie!

Last edited by ULF_55: 06-22-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old
06-18-2012, 02:16 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
we already got the rumors flying

06-18-2012, 02:17 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
Nash + #2
for
Kessel + #5

...that may get consideration, but, short of that, not likely.
i dont care what criticism that might get
i would do it in heartbeat

i don't think kessel is the answer to build your offense around for the bigger stronger defensive NHL
as a 2nd liner ok.
but if you get a 1st line power forward for him under 28/29 with a #2 pick? do it

Old
06-18-2012, 02:18 PM
PhilTheThrillKessel

Howard Berger ‏@Berger_BYTES

Are #Leafs re-visiting Paul Stastny scenario a year later? Stay tuned.

Old
06-18-2012, 02:19 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTheThrillKessel View Post

There never was a Paul Stastny scenario, ever.

Old
06-18-2012, 02:20 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
There never was a Paul Stastny scenario, ever.
I personally think there was, he would actually be a good fit between lupul and kessel.

Old
06-18-2012, 02:40 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

Someone in another thread mentioned (not sure if rumour) Staal for Gardiner, Bozak and 5th. Anyone else hear that?

Old
06-18-2012, 02:42 PM
barilko05

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
i dont care what criticism that might get
i would do it in heartbeat

i don't think kessel is the answer to build your offense around for the bigger stronger defensive NHL
as a 2nd liner ok.
but if you get a 1st line power forward for him under 28/29 with a #2 pick? do it
First off, you're bonkers if you think ANY GM in this league, let alone Brian Burke, thinks Phil Kessel is a 2nd liner. Not only that. but Brian Burke would be shot and pissed on if he made that deal. It's ludicrous. The #2 pick and the #5 pick are essentially a wash in this draft, so then you're going to deal a potential 40 to 50 goal scorer for a guy who's 4 years older, with a MASSIVE cap hit for what, 5 or 6 more years, who's stats have been dropping every since 2008, when he scored 79 points. Which btw, is 3 points less than PK scored last year with his line partner injured for the last couple months of the season, and a 3rd line centre in the middle. And another thing...those same GM's who know Phil Kessell is NOT a 2nd line player also know that Rick Nash is NOT a power forward.

Old
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I personally think there was, he would actually be a good fit between lupul and kessel.
He's exactly the type of player this team needs. He's a very underrated player as is. He's had an aging Hejduk and David Jones, etc on his wings for a few years. Put Lupul and Kessel on either side and I feel he could have a 80-90pt resurgence even with a more defensive oriented overall style.

The only problem is, we've all heard this story before.

Old
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Someone in another thread mentioned (not sure if rumour) Staal for Gardiner, Bozak and 5th. Anyone else hear that?
There are three Staals in the league.

Old
06-18-2012, 02:43 PM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTheThrillKessel View Post

Depending on the price, that would definitely fix the #1 center problems.

It would be a risk acquisition though, but if it's a soft deal like the Phaneuf trade, the rewards could be good.

Old
06-18-2012, 02:45 PM
mydnyte

Quote:
lol, only in the Pens board. Eric Staal, that would be another story though.

Galy may be as good as Eric Staal when it's all said and done. (or he may be Bozak... dont you love the pre-draft projections)

Old
06-18-2012, 02:46 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:

Galy may be as good as Eric Staal when it's all said and done. (or he may be Bozak... dont you love the pre-draft projections)
Galchenyuk could be another ACL away from being the next Antropov.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
06-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:

That time of the year when every russian player is Malkin, every canadian is Eric Staal, etc, etc.

You've really gotta put your 'put it in perspective' hat on when it comes to draft day.

--------------

I know center is the positional need right now, but Jagr is testing free agency. Do we see a 1 year deal to add some leadership to this group? I don't think Jagr would be particularly interested in coming here, but I'm sure Burke will be on the phone July 1st.

Old
06-18-2012, 02:52 PM
threeGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
That time of the year when every russian player is Malkin, every canadian is Eric Staal, etc, etc.

You've really gotta put your 'put it in perspective' hat on when it comes to draft day.

--------------

I know center is the positional need right now, but Jagr is testing free agency. Do we see a 1 year deal to add some leadership to this group? I don't think Jagr would be particularly interested in coming here, but I'm sure Burke will be on the phone July 1st.
He won't come here to be on a losing team, unless we pay him him 5 mil.

Old
06-18-2012, 02:55 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
He's exactly the type of player this team needs. He's a very underrated player as is. He's had an aging Hejduk and David Jones, etc on his wings for a few years. Put Lupul and Kessel on either side and I feel he could have a 80-90pt resurgence even with a more defensive oriented overall style.

The only problem is, we've all heard this story before.
TT damn am I glad to have you on the boards who actually understands a players situation. Pretty much, he has been cycling with wingers starting from yip, maclean, to jones. All borderline second liners, although jones could be one, problem is he is very much a injury prone dude. The other is Galiardi who comes up and down. Hedjuk hasn`t just been the same although shown some flash IMO.

Yea, but he is just a great guy to have really and I`d be ecstatic to have him

Old
06-18-2012, 03:03 PM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:

It was actually on the main trade board and it was a Leafs fan saying it. He was however neither offering it nor claiming it to be a legit rumor, but just saying that would be the equivalent from TO to the actually rumored Carolina offer of Sutter+Faulk+8th.

Hope that explains it.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:04 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Galchenyuk could be another ACL away from being the next Antropov.
ACL surgery has come a long way since then. It's not an issue.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:05 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
TT damn am I glad to have you on the boards who actually understands a players situation. Pretty much, he has been cycling with wingers starting from yip, maclean, to jones. All borderline second liners, although jones could be one, problem is he is very much a injury prone dude. The other is Galiardi who comes up and down. Hedjuk hasn`t just been the same although shown some flash IMO.

Just some insight for you guys from an Avs fan, who is coming in peace, trust me.

Stastny has been playing with Jones now for the better part of the last 2 seasons. But you have hit the nail on the head with your brief analysis. Stastny had an absolutely atrocious 2011 calendar year, the whole Avs team did, that's why they were in the position to draft 2nd overall last year.

Stastny has been constantly given wingers who don't belong to play with him in the mold of Yip, Porter, McLeod, etc. When Jones was placed with him, he led the team in goals with 27 (2 yrs ago), and then when Jones had struggles last year, Sacco started shuffling the lines, moving Jones around, putting Duchene on Stastny's wing, etc.

I know what you may be thinking now, "Duchene on the same line with Stastny? Those guys should play well together!" And that was the general thought of some of us Avs fans on our boards (though I wasn't necessarily one of them)...but the truth is, Duchene needs to be at Center, not playing the Wing w/ Stastny.

Jones eventually found his way back to Stastny's wing, and the Avs acquired McGinn, and that line basically led our charge toward the playoffs last year, even though we fell short. It also helped that strangely enough, once the calendar flipped to "2012" Stastny seemed to play better overall.

At the end of the day, he is still a good player, a smart player, and he continues to amaze us with his vision and his passing skills. He still needs to shoot more in my opinion, and that has been something he's acknowledged.

I am not about to offer any type of "proposal", because I am A) Not knowledgeable enough on what the Leafs have to offer, and B) This is your board. I do not want to insult you. But if it's alright, I will just say that I am not sure our teams are the best trading partners in this scenario. Because I don't believe the Avs are in a "bind" to just give him away, nor should they be. He's still a good and effective player, and if the Avs were to trade him, I'd expect it to be a deal similar in the perceived value at the time of the EJ/Stewart trade. That is to say, that BOTH teams got what they wanted out of the deal.

Thank you for your time.

***EDIT***

And just FYI, while Jones did suffer season ending injuries his first 2 yrs in the league, they were complete freak accidents, he's since then played relatively healthy

Old
pspot

do the Avs need help to make the floor? especially moving Stastny

Komisarek would look great in an avs jersey

Old
Everlong
-

Quote:

They defiantly need alot of help on the wing. Both Mueller and Jones are injury prone. While that may be the case, I've always said you can get by with good depth at center and average wingers (to a certain extent). So it all depends on their organizational depth and where they want to do go in the next 2-3 years. More rebuilding? or are they close to something with a good core? Personally, I had a few red flags raised once Hejduk was named captain. I was almost certain one of Stastny or Duchene (needs more experience), would get the distinguished pleasure. It tells me they're not certain what the future is quite yet.

Edit: Hey RockLobster, can you shed some light on why Hejduk was given the captaincy rather than someone like Duchene/Stas? Cheers bud.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:06 PM
electricjib

Quote:

Avs fan in peace to see where the rumor came from. Good to see some of you see his value. To call him injury prone is incorrect though. He's only missed 3/4 of a season worth of games in his entire career. One injury was getting hit by a Rick Nash slapshot I think....That doesn't make you injury prone.

edit: re-read sorry if you were talking about Jones being injury prone. But I have seen other teams fans call Staz injury prone.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:08 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Stastny is their best forward and a team that has been and will be again close to the cap floor trading their highest paid player makes absolutely no sense to me.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:08 PM
binop7

Quote:
I would trade that for Eric, but def not Jordan

Old
06-18-2012, 03:11 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricjib View Post
Avs fan in peace to see where the rumor came from. Good to see some of you see his value. To call him injury prone is incorrect though. He's only missed 3/4 of a season worth of games in his entire career. One injury was getting hit by a Rick Nash slapshot I think....That doesn't make you injury prone.

edit: re-read sorry if you were talking about Jones being injury prone. But I have seen other teams fans call Staz injury prone.
That's fair. It's hard to get a handle on players from other organizations that aren't in the media's eye. I like Jones, solid 2nd liner, underrated goalscorer. Unlucky would be a better suited word to describe him health wise.

Closed Thread