HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke will have tough decision to make on Gardiner

Old
06-20-2012, 05:55 PM
pooleboy
#chychrun2016

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce457 View Post
The Kings traded J.Johnson and a 1st rounder for Carter

Im not sure most leaf fans or even management would trade Gardiner + mid 1st rounder for a player like Jeff Carter. Which I for one agree with, because I happen to think Carter sucks and that trade will come back to haunt them.
id trade 10 1st round picks for a cup in a heartbeat.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:58 PM
pooleboy
#chychrun2016

Burke doesn't have a tough decision, hold onto prospects and stay away from big name players that have big contracts now. Keep guys like Kadri, Colborne, Ashton, Biggs, Percy, Blacker, Schenn, Gardiner in the system... there are 29 other teams that would love to acquire any one of these guys.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 06:03 PM
trellaine201

All I know is we need a centre, goalie and puck moving d, however that's achieved I'm fine. I know we are tight with the cap and most players here in to are overpaid and hard to move.

trellaine201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 06:48 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

G - Luongo
D - Gardiner
C - Grigorenko

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.

Babs - short for Barbara
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
G - Luongo
D - Gardiner
C - Galchenyuk
Fix't.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:12 PM
edruga

vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
id trade 10 1st round picks for a cup in a heartbeat.
I'd trade 46.

edruga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:24 PM
daveleaf

If they trade Gardiner that would be a horrible move. I would keep him and try to get Schultz-thats like another first round pic. We don't go forward byt trading three or four guys for one.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Certainly, if you are believing the scouts when it supports your opinion but turn on them when it hinders it ...

I tend to think NHL scouts are like the silent majority, you are going to hear from a few vocal guys but the real opinion isn't going to be shared.

If we hear an opinion from 10 NHL scouts, is that a majority of scouts?

Leafs scouts:

Dave Morrison Director of Amateur Scouting
Mike Palmateer Amateur Scout
George Armstrong Amateur Scout
John Lilley Amateur Scout
Garth Malarchuk Amateur Scout
Alan Power Amateur Scout
Gary Harker Amateur Scout
Scott Carter Amateur Scout
Pierre Rioux Amateur Scout
Roy Stasiuk Amateur Scout
John McMorrow Amateur Scout
Darryl Stanley Amateur Scout
Bud Stefanski Amateur Scout
Dave Starman Amateur Scout
Joe Gibbs European Scout
Thommie Bergman European Scout
Jari Gronstrand European Scout
Peter Ihnacak European Scout
Nikolai Ladygin European Scout
I played with Peter at the tail end of his career in Freibourg Germany in 1989 and the guy was a complete moron. Harker, Stasiuk and Starman....gimme a frickin break.

You could take any 4 competent hockey fans and do as well as these chumps. Don't be bragging up our "Quantity" scout patrol.

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:42 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywiz542 View Post
So this supposed NHL executive would like Colborne, but not Kadri because Kadri has yet to show he can play with men? Last I checked, Kadri has played more games against men than Colborne. Another desperate attempt at some form of journalism by the Toronto Sun.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:48 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
Reasons for fans to want to keep Gardiner:

-the ducks fleecing
-he's *relatively young
-he can skate fast and is fairly composed on the PP

Reasons for Burke to want to move Gardiner:

-he's a defensive liability
-his ceiling is a poor man's Campbell
- he's not tough
- his points don't amount to anything: PP goals or winning goals

If anything BB has fooled the world into believing that JG is going to be an elite defenseman of the future. I say we get maximum return for him now and run with it.

*warning: he's not 18 either
Yep, Gardiner making beautiflul plays like skating around the whole Sabres team and putting the puck in the net, It's all smoke and mirrors. Burke is fooling everyone one who actually watches Gardiner play! I have never hears of Burke making any comment on the type of player Gards is going to be.

What I do know from watching Garndiner play.....he reminds me more of Brian Leetch than any other d-man I have ever seen! Not saying he will be a Leetch.

OlderTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:53 PM
Dayjobdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by edruga View Post
I'd trade 46.
Sadly, they basically have and they still don't have one.... :-(

Actually, I think it will be great when Luke scores the winning goal on a broken foot in overtime in game 6 in 2014, putting the tumbler past Cory Schneider for a 1-0 win and a shutout for our own Bobby Lou in net.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:02 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1927 View Post
Jake Gardiner was obtained in a trade, and not drafted by the Leafs. Sometimes a trade works out great for the team acquiring that player and in this case the Leafs got value out of the deal with Anaheim.

Any smart general manager should be able to parlay acquired assets for better assets in other deals. Only for the right deal can Brian Burke look at potentially moving Gardiner. The fact is most teams are demanding Gardiner in a trade of significant value. Burke knows better not to trade Gardiner for a lateral move or decent back stop trade at best.

If Gardiner is being moved it will be for the 1st overall pick or a talent that will make the Leafs better today and not in 3 years time. Had the Leafs traded Kaberle +7th overall pick (Kadri) to Boston for Kessel than the Leafs could potentially have Seguin, Hamilton AND Kessel. Leaf fans did not want to add that 7th overall pick in that trade, just like fans are clamoring to keep Gardiner this year. Burke should not make the same mistake twice.

If Burke even has a chance at trading for the 1st overall or any other all-star player then he should consider upgrading the team.

The General Managers who take risk will end up paying off in the long run. Dean Lombardi took multiple trade gambles with Mike Richards and then going after Jeff Carter in multi asset deals. The Kings are now champions.

For the Leafs to move forward this would be a decent trade if Edmonton wanted to make a trade for first overall.

Gardiner + 5th overall for Nail Yakupov

The Leafs would gain a possible "franchise" player and still have Kessel on the team. Even if the Leafs miss the playoffs and get into the top 5 again, they will be poised to add more talent.

Let's face it; this team is short on any impact players on the roster and the majority of the prospects still have years of development ahead to make an impact in the NHL. The time is right to upgrade the talent pool for this team and forge ahead by taking some risk.
A Bigger risk would be Giving up and NHL D-man "Gardiner" + 5th OV who may turn out better than Yaks, I listen and watch and hear that Yaks is head and shoulders above everyone else right now...but No one I hear is calling him a franchise player!

I'd rather Keep Gards and draft 5th OV!

Old
06-20-2012, 08:06 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Slick View Post
I played with Peter at the tail end of his career in Freibourg Germany in 1989 and the guy was a complete moron. Harker, Stasiuk and Starman....gimme a frickin break.

You could take any 4 competent hockey fans and do as well as these chumps. Don't be bragging up our "Quantity" scout patrol.
We're talking hockey scouts not hospital administrators here. If you can throw a dart Leafs will hire you as a scout. Example, Craig Button.

Old
06-20-2012, 08:09 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
We're talking hockey scouts not hospital administrators here. If you can throw a dart Leafs will hire you as a scout. Example, Craig Button.

Old
06-20-2012, 08:11 PM
ponder

Burke has a very easy decision to make on Gardiner: don't trade him. Done!

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:15 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

why does the general hockey media say that toronto needs a #1 defenseman and yet everyone here talks about gardiner like he's our man. he's not our man. he's not a #1 d. he has many years to go before he can even be a 'poor man's campbell.'

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:22 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
why does the general hockey media say that toronto needs a #1 defenseman and yet everyone here talks about gardiner like he's our man. he's not our man. he's not a #1 d. he has many years to go before he can even be a 'poor man's campbell.'
Who is "everyone here" that is saying Gardiner is a #1 d-man right now?

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:24 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Slick View Post

That's not the smartest thing that I will read today.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:26 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Who is "everyone here" that is saying Gardiner is a #1 d-man right now?
It's his shtick.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:27 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:

Well I wouldn't go that far but agree with you.

I find with Gards, he has a few bonuses other than being a great prospect/Leafs only real blue chipper. He comes with the possibility of helping us land Shultz if the rumours are true. He is also about to enter his sofomore season where he can sink or swim.

We need to hold onto him a bit longer until a few things play out. If Burke does in fact trade him, I will be shocked. As much as a blow hard Burke can be, he has yet to lie to us and he said he would not trade Gardiner.

Old
06-20-2012, 08:28 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
No he'll be a poor man's Campbell by the end of 2012-2013 season.

Old
06-20-2012, 08:28 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
I see them saying Toronto needs a #1 goalie. Nothing really about a #1D-Man.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:31 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
That's not the smartest thing that I will read today.
Well the key word there was "competent".

Old
06-20-2012, 08:31 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathToAllButMetal View Post
It seems like a lot of Leafs fans all live on paper anymore. Doesn't anyone actually watch games? The comment above about LA regretting the Carter trade is one of the dumbest I've read here in some time. LA took off the moment he joined the club and they were on fire right through the Cup final, one of the more dominant team performances in the playoffs in years.

Gardiner is good, but he's not untouchable by any means. This fetishizing every top Leaf pick as some kind of god has burned us over and over again in the past. Anyone remember how Steen was untouchable, even in the Pronger deal? Or how Schenn was untouchable and a future captain? Etc., etc.

The Leafs suck so much anymore that any small good development with a player automatically gets turned into a massive big deal future HOFer! It's desperate and it's pathetic. If Burke can turn Gardiner into something with the potential to really get the Leafs going -- yes, even Luongo, or a Jordan Staal, if it comes to that -- he needs to do it and not look back.

Burke committed to this rebuild now path, and he's too far down that road at this point to turn back. Well, without losing his job and resetting the clock so it's another 4-5 years before the Leafs even make the playoffs.

The fetishing of trading our young players for every player past his prime has got this team in trouble for 40 + years!!!

Luongo??? are you effing kidding me??? It's also deals like that which have ****ed up this club! Trade everything and anything of value ...just cause you say so!!

Does anyone here think that Burke will gut the team because he thinks he is going to get fired???? Seriously....Guys like YOU???

Do you think MLSE is going to fire the whole group????

If Nonis is kept do you think he is going to **** up Nonis buy trading away everything to save his job?? Everything that built together???

Here is what I think...if Burke is fired....he will have a Job with some team in less than a week.

BURKE HAS NEVER BEEN OUT OF A JOB IN THE NHL!!! WHEN FIRED BY THE LEAFS...HE WILL CONTINUE TO HAVE A JOB SOMEWHERE IN THE NHL...DEAL WITH IT

Old
06-20-2012, 08:33 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Don't watch much do you?