HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jake Gardiner

Old
06-20-2012, 08:51 AM
HarrisonFord
He's baaaaaack

vCash: 500
Jake Gardiner

I want to know what you think the value of Jake Gardiner is to your team. I'm under the impression that, in reality, Gardiner is the only real blue-chip guy in the Leafs system. Leafs fans are rightly excited about this guy, but it has been suggested that in order for Burke to make any sort of big moves, it's going to need to include Jake.

So what is he worth (in your opinion) to your team. I don't mean things like "Gardiner + 5th would get you this", I'm talking about what he alone would fetch.

Hopefully this can stay objective

HarrisonFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:55 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReimerForPM View Post
I want to know what you think the value of Jake Gardiner is to your team. I'm under the impression that, in reality, Gardiner is the only real blue-chip guy in the Leafs system. Leafs fans are rightly excited about this guy, but it has been suggested that in order for Burke to make any sort of big moves, it's going to need to include Jake.

So what is he worth (in your opinion) to your team. I don't mean things like "Gardiner + 5th would get you this", I'm talking about what he alone would fetch.

Hopefully this can stay objective
This is a decent question given a recent article (Link below) suggesting that the Leafs may have to include him in a shake up-type trade. If the Leafs want to move up in this year's draft, for example, they may have to send Gardiner the other way in order to make it happen.

Link: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../19898256.html

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

I'd want a top forward prospect. Maybe not Landeskog/RNH level. But maybe Strome/Armia-ish level.

Would much prefer a proven top liner such as Ryan/Nash (if his contract wasn't brutal) for Gards +

Straight up I think we can get a Pavelski/Plekanec-like player. Really good/elite 2nd liner, borderline top-liner. Not saying those teams would trade those players. But that's probably his value

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:20 AM
TOGuy14

I wouldn't trade Gardiner right now, and I don't say that with some sort of hope that he will become a Norris winner.

I say I wouldn't trade Gardiner because he brings something that our back end sorely lacks, a talented skater. The NHL is all about quick feet, and between Phaneuf, Komisarek, and Schenn we have some slower guys out there. Gunnar and Franson are a bit above average, but Gardiner has the silk stride that can keep up with any of the fastest attackers in the league so until we have someone who can do that, he shouldn't be moved.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:24 AM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
I wouldn't trade Gardiner right now, and I don't say that with some sort of hope that he will become a Norris winner.

I say I wouldn't trade Gardiner because he brings something that our back end sorely lacks, a talented skater. The NHL is all about quick feet, and between Phaneuf, Komisarek, and Schenn we have some slower guys out there. Gunnar and Franson are a bit above average, but Gardiner has the silk stride that can keep up with any of the fastest attackers in the league so until we have someone who can do that, he shouldn't be moved.
As an outsider, I also question why the Leafs would trade Gardiner. Isn't he exactly the type of player that they should be building around.
I know that the OP was asking hypothetically but if I'm Toronto and I ever did decide to trade him I'd want an overpayment in return.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:25 AM
DPyro

Quote:

Imagine what Barbara Underhill could do to his game

DPyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:26 AM
Theron
#beauty

Send a message via ICQ to Theron Send a message via AIM to Theron Send a message via MSN to Theron Send a message via Yahoo to Theron Send a message via Skype™ to Theron
Quote:

Couldn't agree more. Trading him for another prospect doesn't make sense either.. Move franson

Theron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:43 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
If I were to trade him I would either want to add to Gardiner for a really good forward or trade Gardiner straight up for a young forward of similar age to Gardiner who has also played in the NHL already and shown some success. We really don't have a reason to move him unless we get blown away. The chances of us moving him before July 1st I think are very slim since it seems to be Gardiner who is giving us the chance to sign Schultz. If we move him before July 1st, I think the value on Gardiner would have to be what Gardiner can become + what Schultz can become. Such a ridiculous price that a team doing the trade has to be out of their mind.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:47 AM
ericnut

I'm starting to wonder how good Gardiner actually was this year with all these trade proposals including him...

ericnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Maj. Conn Smythe

Unless the trade has an all-star caliber player to be packaged with Gardiner or for the first overall pick to draft a potential franchise player, then Brian Burke should keep him on the roster. For Gardiner to be traded it would be for an upgrade not a lateral move just to make a trade for the sake of making one.

Trading just Gardiner alone will not get an impact roster player or highly touted prospect. It would be for an NHL roster player of some value, or a decent prospect with boom/bust potential.

An example from Edmonton you could be looking at MPS, but not Jordan Eberle. This is the type of deal that may help the Leafs or may not down the road by swaping Gardiner for MPS. It would not make sense at this time to do this from a Leafs point of view.

1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:51 AM
jboknows

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnut View Post
I'm starting to wonder how good Gardiner actually was this year with all these trade proposals including him...
He's good enough that if the leafs trade him in a deal that is less than something that blows my mind, I will say a large **** you to brian burke and be done with this team.

He is hand's down the best prospect (even though he's one season in I still see him as a prospect) that this team has had in a long time.

His calmness with the puck this early in his career just doesn't make sense. His speed and the way he sees the game are already above average. I expect a bit of a sophmore slump, but from eveyrthing I've seen, he is going to be one hell of a player someday

jboknows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:54 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1927 View Post
Unless the trade has an all-star caliber player to be packaged with Gardiner or for the first overall pick to draft a potential franchise player, then Brian Burke should keep him on the roster. For Gardiner to be traded it would be for an upgrade not a lateral move just to make a trade for the sake of making one.

Trading just Gardiner alone will not get an impact roster player or highly touted prospect. It would be for an NHL roster player of some value, or a decent prospect with boom/bust potential.

An example from Edmonton you could be looking at MPS, but not Jordan Eberle. This is the type of deal that may help the Leafs or may not down the road by swaping Gardiner for MPS. It would not make sense at this time to do this from a Leafs point of view.
ya ok .. in which world is MPS worth Gardiner?

MPS barely outscored Gardiner in their respective rookie seasons ... as a FORWARD

not to mention he cant even stick on the LAST place team's roster

Old
06-20-2012, 11:00 AM
JackBauer

If you trade Gardiner, you are perpetuating the same diseased behaviour that got you into your mess in the first place.

Keep Gardiner. Keep the 5th. Keep Kadri. Keep Colborne. For once in your existence, be patient and develop your players.

You finally get a young player who has better than expected development and immediately half the fan base wants to trade him for a 28 yr old.

I'm sorry if this sounds patronizing or preachy but honestly, it's exhausting watching some of your fan base and management take a once proud franchise and constantly and incessently run it into the ground.

JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:03 AM
Maj. Conn Smythe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
ya ok .. in which world is MPS worth Gardiner?

MPS barely outscored Gardiner in their respective rookie seasons ... as a FORWARD

not to mention he cant even stick on the LAST place team's roster
The Leafs would not trade Gardiner for MPS because it would be a lateral move at best if not worse. However, the Leafs would not get Eberle so the deal would have to be somwhere in between Eberle and MPS level talent. Edmonton was just used as an example it can be any other team's prospect or roster player.

1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1927 View Post
The Leafs would not trade Gardiner for MPS because it would be a lateral move at best if not worse. However, the Leafs would not get Eberle so the deal would have to be somwhere in between Eberle and MPS level talent. Edmonton was just used as an example it can be any other team's prospect or roster player.
yea i agree ... Gardiner would not fetch Eberle for sure .. but he would get much more than MPS

something in the middle

Old
06-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer View Post
If you trade Gardiner, you are perpetuating the same diseased behaviour that got you into your mess in the first place.

Keep Gardiner. Keep the 5th. Keep Kadri. Keep Colborne. For once in your existence, be patient and develop your players.

You finally get a young player who has better than expected development and immediately half the fan base wants to trade him for a 28 yr old.

I'm sorry if this sounds patronizing or preachy but honestly, it's exhausting watching some of your fan base and management take a once proud franchise and constantly and incessently run it into the ground.
Very very true. Bang on, good post.

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:10 AM
The Saurus

I don't think Jake Gardiner's value can be expressed right now. He's still unproven with a mountain of potential.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:15 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Schenn + 1st for Gardiner + 1st

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Schenn + 1st for Gardiner + 1st
no, you'll be the one adding to Schenn

no need for the Leafs to trade the 2 best pieces in the deal

Old
06-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Mellor683

Gardiner, Macarthur, 1st for B. Schenn, JVR, 1st

Mellor683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:21 AM
funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer View Post

Great summary. Once L.A took time to rebuild properly, they flourished. Have patience. Let your guys like Schenn develop, don't trade your Kadri's, Gardiner's and Franson's unless someone overpays and take a breath. Its no fun fighting for that 8th seed every year. Sacrifice 3 or so years and do it right. You have a good core started, now stock the cupboards and trade for the needed pieces in a few years when you have a clearer picture of what is needed

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellor683 View Post
closer, but still no imo..

not really a fan of JvR ... he still has potential to become a 50-60 point player, but that's what MacArthur is right now (50ish point player)

Old
06-20-2012, 11:25 AM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellor683 View Post
Tough deal to pass on for sure, Schenn and JVR are both obviously two very attractive pieces.

However I really don't see Burke trading Gardiner...
A. It'd be stupid... you don't trade players like this.
B. With Schultz actually being interested in Toronto, you can bet a part of it is because of Jake.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:25 AM
Woll Smoth

vCash: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnut View Post
I don't think there's been a single trade proposal that includes Gardiner that Leaf fans agree on.

He's pretty good.

Woll Smoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:35 PM
bernmeister

Useful to NYR in that:
Have a core of Staal, McDonagh, Girardi, Del Zotto to which Stralman (going to Sweden, we think) is gone and Eminger is iffy. We need 2 guys. We have Erixon, we will have McIlrath by end of year. We hope to add Schultz, like everybody. With McD I consider rangers nominal favorites for Schultz, but Gardiner might put us over the top. (And we can satisfy you for Gardiner before you can satisfy us for McDonagh.)

Many of us want to trade 1 D for 1 top F, preferably a sniper. We do not have consensus on that D, or that F, and if it is basically 1 for 1 or a package. The only good D prospects Rangers have are righties way down the road. My vote is move Girardi, though preferably for a great sniper, as opposed to a piece on Shea Weber, who may turn out to be a 1 yr rental.

So Gardiner could have his use for us, specifically as a possible basis to move MDZ.

Unfortunately, we don't have too many Fs to spare.

Ideally, if you added significantly, if he would waive his NMC, I'd do Richards and his big contract for Gardiner ++ (this is not including your 5th overall this year). Feel free to make a reasonable suggestion.

Alternatively feel free to make other proposal.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote