HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Edmonton interested in Cody Franson (Jeff Marek)

Old
06-20-2012, 10:01 AM
tony135420

vCash: 500
Franson for EDM second 2012 is the closest in terms of value IMO. I hope Burke isn't interested in trading developing blue chippers (aka Kadri) for this years 1st overall...as good as Yakupov was in juniors this year, there just seems to be a wealth of talent in the top 5-6 that's not to far behind him.

How about Franson + Reimer for EDM 2nd + Khabs?? Just a thought

tony135420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:02 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Franson should cost no more than a 2nd rounder from the Oilers.

Oilers have enough subpar Ds, if they were to acquire more it'd probably be of little cost.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:02 AM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432 View Post
With all the Leafs fans laughing at this idea, I guess Oilers fans don't need to.

As for the 2nd rounder, I think that would work but more likely 2013 since it will likely be in the late 30s, early 40s.
We'd likely want this year's for him. Yes he's a 5th dman now but his potential is pretty high. With the playing time he'd get on Edmonton, he'd likely be a good top 4 guy in no time. He's valuable still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
I don't mind him, but his cap-hit is concerning.
Don't pay any attention to the guy who offered Phaneuf. He's staying a Leaf. He's much more valuable than people give him credit. Top 10 in ice time, top 12 in points for a dman, top 25 for hits, top 55 for blocks, plays in tough situations.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:05 AM
King William
MARNER & NYLANDER

Two proposals...

To Toronto: Travis Ewanyk + 2013 2nd Round Pick
To Toronto: Curtis Hamilton + 2012 3rd Round Pick (63rd overall)

King William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:05 AM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Depending on who is on the board at #32, I'd have no problem with Tambo trading #32 straight up for Franson.
I'd do this from the Leafs.

QMJHLfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Drew311
Bringer of Rain

Funny how valuable Franson was on these boards when he was a bottom pairing defenseman on Nashville. Why isn't he as valuable as a bottom pairing defenseman on Toronto?

Search the archives if you don't believe me.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
One of the likeliest Maple Leafs to move. Saying he's not worth a mid-to-late 2nd round pick is quite comical though
Leafs fans believe Gagner is only worth a 2nd rounder at best, but it's comical to think that Franson(a bottom pairing defenseman) isnt worth a 2nd???? He's great at getting the puck out of his own zone but its usually to the opposing defenseman at centre ice and its right back in there. The Oilers are doing just fine in that department already, and I doubt would be willing to part with a 2nd for another give away machine

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:09 AM
middletoe
Why am I me?

If Franson isn't even worth a 2nd then Edmonton can't be that interested in him can they?

middletoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:11 AM
ponokanocker

Exactly how reliable is Marek? There just seems to be a whole lot of talk going on with very little substance. When guys like Dreger are called out, they say they are just speculating, that they haven't actually heard any real rumors.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:13 AM
MisterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma View Post
Franson is terrible, I hope we don't give up a 2nd for him. Hes just a 6'5 Marc-Andre Bergerion.
Interesting statement. One of Bergeron's biggest negatives, was that he was so small. So if we're getting a Dman that has some offense to his game, as well as some size, might be intriguing.

MisterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
alpine4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
I'm very interested in such a move.

Perhaps Franson + 5th + for the #1?
Oilers counter with Omark + 3rd for Leafs 1st

(no wonder Leafs fans have bad rep on here, good thing they're not all like that)

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
King William
MARNER & NYLANDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
Exactly how reliable is Marek? There just seems to be a whole lot of talk going on with very little substance. When guys like Dreger are called out, they say they are just speculating, that they haven't actually heard any real rumors.
Jeff Marek is pretty reliable with Toronto speculation.

He's been with major media outlets and seems to have a good network within the NHL scene. Former host of Leafs Lunch on AM 640. Doesn't throw around trade speculation often and has over 36,000 followers on Twitter.

King William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:14 AM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Leafs fans believe Gagner is only worth a 2nd rounder at best, but it's comical to think that Franson(a bottom pairing defenseman) isnt worth a 2nd???? He's great at getting the puck out of his own zone but its usually to the opposing defenseman at centre ice and its right back in there. The Oilers are doing just fine in that department already, and I doubt would be willing to part with a 2nd for another give away machine
Gagner doesn't have that much more value than Franson.

Old
06-20-2012, 10:14 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

You have to be kidding, Franson wouldn't make the team in Edmonton. Edmonton doesn't need a pylon D that has some offensive abilities, at best he's worth a 3rd no more.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:17 AM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
You have to be kidding, Franson wouldn't make the team in Edmonton. Edmonton doesn't need a pylon D that has some offensive abilities, at best he's worth a 3rd no more.

Old
06-20-2012, 10:17 AM
funky

On the TSN draft show Pierre Mcquire speculated it would take Montreal's number 3 pick un Subban to get the 1st overall. I think that is a little much. As for Franson, maybe 1 of Gagne, MPS, or Edmonton's 2nd?

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:18 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
It's ridiculous that he's not getting playing time in Toronto - just ridiculous. Everytime they decide to not scratch him, he looks good and generates offense yet somehow we manage to always keep him scratched no matter how poorly our defenseman play.

We're gonna trade Franson and it's going to be the biggest mistake of the off-season, this kid's ceiling and potential is very high. If anything, we should be trading other defenseman to make room for Franson.
I agree with the bolded.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:20 AM
Halibut

I'd think a swap of prospects would make the most sense. Omark and a 4th is something I think the Oilers could part with. This years 2nd is almost a 1st so I dont think they'd trade it and as others have said most likely this deal doesnt happen until after Justin Shultz signs. If he ends up in Edmonton no need for Franson, if he ends up in Toronto they probably have no room for Franson which will make him cheaper.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:21 AM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Lots of people are talking out of their ***** here

Franson is terrible? Have you guys ever watched any games?

When he played he was a top 4 guy. He has a great mix of skill/size/physicallity and he can actually skate!

Not to mention he has a top 5-10 wristshot from a dman in the league. Don't believe me? Watch some games. His shots have eyes of their own. Fast release, and accurate as hell.

I'd love to keep him on our bottom pairing and watch him develop into a mainstay top 4 dman.

I'd say the 32nd overall + later pick/boom-bust prospect is good value.

He's 25, and has LOADS of potential. Don't let the fact that he was scratched a few times fool you. He didn't deserve to be scratched. KomiPylon just deserved his spot due to "seniority". Which is complete ********.

If the Oilers do get Franson you guys will see what I'm talking about.

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:22 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 95
Imagine if Franson does get traded for a 2nd. Leafs would end up getting Lombardi + 2nd for Lebda

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Shane O'Brien landed a 1st.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
McLion
Gretzky to McDavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
Interesting statement. One of Bergeron's biggest negatives, was that he was so small. So if we're getting a Dman that has some offense to his game, as well as some size, might be intriguing.
Ya I guess thats true

My point is that Franson can't skate and is a bone head defensively. Maybe Anton Babchuk on the Flames is a good comparison?

McLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:24 AM
Skm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma View Post
Ya I guess thats true

My point is that Franson can't skate and is a bone head defensively. Maybe Anton Babchuk on the Flames is a good comparison?
Kurtis Foster 2.0?

Skm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:26 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by middletoe View Post
If Franson isn't even worth a 2nd then Edmonton can't be that interested in him can they?
EDM's 2nd is the 32nd overall pick. There is a difference between and 2nd from EDM and one from a team like NSH or NYR.

Just because EDM prefers a high 1st does not mean they are not interested in Franson on the 2nd or 3rd pairing.

Franson for a 3rd rounder plus a mid tier prospect or a player like Peckham or Omark is all TOR fans should expect from EDM.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:26 AM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine4life View Post
Oilers counter with Omark + 3rd for Leafs 1st

(no wonder Leafs fans have bad rep on here, good thing they're not all like that)
What's your problem buddy?

The difference between the 5th overall and the 1st overall this year isn't as large a gap as previous year. I fail to see how Franson + isn't even good enough to start talks to move up 4 spots in the draft.
I have no idea how that's remotely close to Omark and a 3rd rounder for the Leafs 1st.

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote