Old
06-20-2012, 09:43 AM
Bmf316nhl
But there's no dog

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bmf316nhl
2 New Rules in the NHL for next season

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=635218

Rule 67: a penalty now will be issued any time a player places his hand over the puck while it is on the ice in order to conceal it from an opponent or prevent an opponent from playing the puck.

Rule 76: a delay of game penalty now will be issued to any player taking a faceoff who uses his hand to direct the puck in any direction.

I really like both of these rules. Especially the second one. Marc Savard used to do that quite often. Even though he was on my team, it would drive me nuts.

Bmf316nhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Wonder if they'll start calling diving penalties.

Roll 4 Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

What about a simple rule? : Just apply the damn book !

Latrappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

I personally really like the "no kicking the puck in the damn net" rule. This seems like another set that they'll fail to consistently administer to the point where they completely forget the actual point of the rule.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:05 AM
Ratty

This rule change would have no effect on allowing a team to use a hand to direct a puck in the defensive zone, would it?

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:17 AM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
This rule change would have no effect on allowing a team to use a hand to direct a puck in the defensive zone, would it?
I was wondering the same thing..

right now it's legal to make a hand pass in the defensive zone.. but that second rule makes it sound like you can't do it at all on any face off.

Not that you could outside the defensive zone since it would just be whistled down for a hand pass.

I don't know... neither rule seems necessary to me. Throw in an anti-dive penalty and get rid of the puck over glass delay of game crap.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:03 PM
patty59

Brutal. They need LESS rules not MORE

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:08 PM
seemlessglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmf316nhl View Post

Rule 67: a penalty now will be issued any time a player places his hand over the puck while it is on the ice in order to conceal it from an opponent or prevent an opponent from playing the puck.

Rule 76: a delay of game penalty now will be issued to any player taking a faceoff who uses his hand to direct the puck in any direction.

I really like both of these rules. Especially the second one. Marc Savard used to do that quite often. Even though he was on my team, it would drive me nuts.
These are stupid! More judgment calls made by refs that have proven that most of them couldn't tell what day it is much less know the intent of the player. Does that apply to hand passes made in the defensive zone? I didn't think these were problems. How about fewer rules and less penalties being called?

seemlessglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:14 PM
Merk57

Quote:
Originally Posted by seemlessglass View Post
These are stupid! More judgment calls made by refs that have proven that most of them couldn't tell what day it is much less know the intent of the player. Does that apply to hand passes made in the defensive zone? I didn't think these were problems. How about fewer rules and less penalties being called?
I agree... This will only lead to "missed" calls, causing player and fan frustration during games. What a waste of time

Merk57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:19 PM
SerenityRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merk57 View Post
I agree... This will only lead to "missed" calls, causing player and fan frustration during games. What a waste of time
Yep.. fans on both sides are going to flip out when a ref misses a player winning a faceoff with his hand and then sends a winger on a breakaway to score.

yay more controversy. NHL is getting stupider by the day, haha

But I ask again... is there ANY evidence that this was a huge problem in the NHL? Enough that they had to regulate winning a stalemate by hand passing a puck in the dot? How often does that happen anyway? How often did we see players smothering pucks to hide it from the opposition? Is there an epidemic of this that I don't know about?

Old
06-20-2012, 12:19 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmf316nhl View Post

Winning a face off would drive you nuts?

They want more PPs because they think it will lead to more goals. That's pretty much the intent here. I think it will make for a worse game, I don't see how implementing these rules will attract more fans, which is really what they are trying to do, isn't it?

Old
06-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
Winning a face off would drive you nuts?

They want more PPs because they think it will lead to more goals. That's pretty much the intent here. I think it will make for a worse game, I don't see how implementing these rules will attract more fans, which is really what they are trying to do, isn't it?
You've answered your own question.

On their own, these rule changes don't mean a ton...but if it creates more PP opportunities, in theory, scoring goes up (unless it's the Bruins). Higher scoring = more exciting game. More exciting game = more fans.

If you put $10/week into a jar and don't touch it for a year, you probably won't notice the pinch in your wallet, but you'll surely notice the difference a year later when you just "found" $520.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:41 PM
SerenityRick

I know there are focus groups and millions of dollars that goes into what sells and doesn't sell but I don't care.. I don't buy that high scoring games = more exciting games.

The WORST playoff series this past year was Pitts and Philly because it seemed like every shot was going on. That 10-8 game or whatever it was was seriously one of the most boring games I've ever seen. It was awful.

Meanwhile, and I'm biased, but our game 7 versus TB was one of the most exciting, on the edge of your seat games I've seen in recent years and that was a 1-0 affair.

I don't know.. tie games that go late are a lot more exciting than seeing teams getting blown out.

Obviously I'm not the average casual fan though so... meh.

Old
06-20-2012, 12:44 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
You've answered your own question.

On their own, these rule changes don't mean a ton...but if it creates more PP opportunities, in theory, scoring goes up (unless it's the Bruins). Higher scoring = more exciting game. More exciting game = more fans.

If you put $10/week into a jar and don't touch it for a year, you probably won't notice the pinch in your wallet, but you'll surely notice the difference a year later when you just "found" $520.
That's not true though. People don't tune into to NHL games to watch powerplays and it definitely doesn't make for a more exciting game. When has anyone gotten excited over tick tack calls?

Old
06-20-2012, 12:44 PM
bp13

Quote:
I agree. And it's not like these were major issues.

I can't believe they added a couple rules and didn't even address how to really cut down on diving. Baffles me.

bp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:48 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
I know there are focus groups and millions of dollars that goes into what sells and doesn't sell but I don't care.. I don't buy that high scoring games = more exciting games.

The WORST playoff series this past year was Pitts and Philly because it seemed like every shot was going on. That 10-8 game or whatever it was was seriously one of the most boring games I've ever seen. It was awful.

Meanwhile, and I'm biased, but our game 7 versus TB was one of the most exciting, on the edge of your seat games I've seen in recent years and that was a 1-0 affair.

I don't know.. tie games that go late are a lot more exciting than seeing teams getting blown out.

Obviously I'm not the average casual fan though so... meh.
There was a lot of buzz surrounding that series and during it and it wasn't because of the goals. It was the rivalry.

If they want more fans/exciting/money, they should have more divisional games and divisional playoffs.

These garbage "no farting on the puck" rules bog the game down and make for a worse experience.

I hat the puck over the glass, especially when you got 5 guys pointing to the ref that it went over the glass like they are 3 year olds telling their mom that they have to pee.

Old
06-20-2012, 12:48 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
I agree. And it's not like these were major issues.

I can't believe they added a couple rules and didn't even address how to really cut down on diving. Baffles me.
My guess is they like the diving, since their logic is more pps=better product.

Old
06-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
That's not true though. People don't tune into to NHL games to watch powerplays and it definitely doesn't make for a more exciting game. When has anyone gotten excited over tick tack calls?
It's not always true, but do you disagree with the theory that one way to increase your chance of scoring is to draw a PP?

People don't tune in to watch power plays, nor do they get excited by tickey tack calls. But people, especially those new to the game, get excited about goals. If rule changes would in theory lead to an increase in goals, then I see what the league is doing. I dont' necessarily agree with it, but I see it.

You're looking at it as a long time hockey fan. New people to the game often don't even know what a PP is (I've heard the question asked several times at the Garden), but a goal is scored, and that same person is out of their seat clapping and WOO-ing. They don't know what a PP is, but they know what a goal is and how they are supposed to react to it.

Old
06-20-2012, 12:55 PM
WickedBruinsGirl

I don't like either one.

A stoppage of play for covering the puck is all that is really needed, but I guess that's what they're trying to get rid of. Yet they'll instead call a penalty which is a longer stoppage.

As for the face-off one, why not just reset the face-off again or kick the player out of the dot? If the opposing center ties you up and you brush the puck out the faceoff, then wouldn't the penalty be on the opposing center who is tying you up?

What about kicking the puck from the faceoff? That method will obviously increase and then mid-season they'll have to modify the rule to "a delay of game penalty now will be issued to any player taking a faceoff who uses anything other than his stick direct the puck in any direction."

WickedBruinsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:56 PM
patty59

Quote:
It's not always true, but do you disagree with the theory that one way to increase your chance of scoring is to draw a PP?

People don't tune in to watch power plays, nor do they get excited by tickey tack calls. But people, especially those new to the game, get excited about goals. If rule changes would in theory lead to an increase in goals, then I see what the league is doing. I dont' necessarily agree with it, but I see it.

You're looking at it as a long time hockey fan. New people to the game often don't even know what a PP is (I've heard the question asked several times at the Garden), but a goal is scored, and that same person is out of their seat clapping and WOO-ing. They don't know what a PP is, but they know what a goal is and how they are supposed to react to it.
More PPs will lead to more goals. But it won't make for a better game.

The NHL is the only league that cares more about the fans they don't have than the ones they do.

Old
06-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

The NHL is the only league that cares more about the fans they don't have than the ones they do.
You'll find no disagreement from me.

Again...I don't agree with the theory, but it makes sense given what they are trying to do.

Old
06-20-2012, 12:57 PM
SerenityRick

Quote:

Perfectly stated.

Old
06-20-2012, 12:59 PM
patty59

Quote:
You'll find no disagreement from me.

Again...I don't agree with the theory, but it makes sense given what they are trying to do.
The problem is more goals isn't going to attract more fans in Phoenix or Florida. The only thing that will is a winning team or re-location to a better market.

Old
06-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Cronuss

vCash: 2823
What if the faceoff is in the defensive zone? That should be a fair hand pass.

Cronuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:03 PM
icyblue

Quote:
Agreed. And the one that drives me nuts the most is the puck over the glass rule. STUPID. I've said this many many times, but how is it that much different from icing the puck? So treat it like an icing.

icyblue is offline   Reply With Quote