HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

DiBenedetto heading to Austria

Old
06-20-2012, 09:44 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Big Brock

vCash: 500
DiBenedetto heading to Austria

Quote:
Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday
Justin DiBenedetto headed to Austria next season. Mark Katic reportedly signed to play in Germany. ‪#Isles‬
Anybody else getting a little suspicious as to why everyone's leaving?

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:52 AM
BillD

Well, that's three of our UFA's clearig contract space against the maximum 50.
I exect Haley to be gone also. ST will be a very young, iexeperienced team next year.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
seems pretty obvious to me in DiBenedettos case. He's an undersized, average at best AHLer, playing for an organization that has one of the deepest prospect pools in the NHL. If Dibo is ever to become an NHL regular, he's going to have to make a name for himself elsewhere. There's just no room for him.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the potential work stoppage (which I personally don't believe will happen) could be playing a role.

I'm more upset about Katic who at the very least is a solid option at #6 or 7.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:53 AM
SpeedDemon

vCash: 491
could it be because we sign useless vets and play them ahead of kids who paid their dues

SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:57 AM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

vCash: 102
Snow made a statement at the season ticket meeting about having the depth in prospects to trade... So much for that..Everyone keeps leaving. Katic, Rhett now Dibo.

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:58 AM
twentytwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
seems pretty obvious to me in DiBenedettos case. He's an undersized, average at best AHLer, playing for an organization that has one of the deepest prospect pools in the NHL. If Dibo is ever to become an NHL regular, he's going to have to make a name for himself elsewhere. There's just no room for him.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the potential work stoppage (which I personally don't believe will happen) could be playing a role.

I'm more upset about Katic who at the very least is a solid option at #6 or 7.
Yes, yes and yes. But the emergence of Matt Donovan softens the blow of losing Katic.

twentytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:59 AM
twentytwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesallday View Post
Snow made a statement at the season ticket meeting about having the depth in prospects to trade... So much for that..Everyone keeps leaving. Katic, Rhett now Dibo.
I don't think any of those guys would put a trade package over the top.

Old
06-20-2012, 10:00 AM
ziggy7716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesallday View Post
Not really lol. None of those players would be in a trade because they are all pretty much useless

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:02 AM
twentytwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
Not really lol. None of those players would be in a trade because they are all pretty much useless
Ha ha. I was trying to soften the blow.

Old
06-20-2012, 10:03 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Frustration?This was DiBenedetto's third full AHL season.It was Rhett's second full season.They are both still top players for the Sound Tigers,but saw
Ullstrom and Cizikas also become top scorers in Bridgeport this season.
When injuries hit on LI and Comeau was waived,Ullstrom and Cizikas were the ones called up to the big club.

Next season Kabanov,Brock Nelson and Nino (all highly touted forward prospects),could all be on the Bridgeport roster.

If I was DiBenedetto or Rhett,I'd wonder what I had to do to get my shot on LI.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:13 AM
Renbarg

Dibo was always going to be a tweener. Rhett had a legit shot but still kinda meh. Katic has size issues and injury issues. Another potential tweener. I wouldn't read too much into this. Garth is probably pissed and happy at the same time. On the one hand you don't have to pay em, but the other you still control their rights should they ever really put it together to become NHL quality.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:24 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Even rats leave a sinking ship!

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:24 AM
IslesNorway

With all these RFAs leaving for Europe it actually opens up spots for other prospects without the Islanders losing their rights. Like Joensuu, if they do well enough they can be brought back and if they don't the Isles just forget about them. I think they'll be qualified and left at that.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:49 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
Damn, I really like Dibo.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:49 AM
ettlinger

Katic to the Eisbären Berlin is not a done deal, at least not according to the link that the LHH tweet mentioned (and that was cited by Kevin Schultz on IPB). The link refers to an article on the German hockey website Eishockeynews.de from June 11th. It says that the manager of the Eisbären Peter-John Lee is very much interested in signing Katic. No word on how far the contract talks have advanced or if there have been such talks at all.

The German news website Bild.de already claimed a week ago that it was a done deal: http://www.bild.de/sport/mehr-sport/...5684.bild.html

But since then, several other websites just reported that Berlin was interested in signing Katic. I really hope that Katic goes back to Bridgeport (and not just because I am a fan of Berlin's archrivals Adler Mannheim ;-)

Last edited by ettlinger: 06-20-2012 at 11:00 AM.
ettlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:06 AM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

It is better for them. Probably all 1 year contracts and the Organization will watch them and see how they do against (what I assume) is higher competition than the AHL. They can still come back.

Seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
The exodus continues..

But seriously these three guys leaving means absolutely nothing. They just saw the writing on the wall: they haven't shown enough consistently to be everyday NHL players, more high end talent coming up the system and pushing them back in the pecking order, they're still young making probably crap in the AHL so why not try and make bank in Europe while still advancing their game. We still own rhett's rights and even if we didn't none of these guys leaving really impact our system.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:16 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
The exodus continues..

But seriously these three guys leaving means absolutely nothing. They just saw the writing on the wall: they haven't shown enough consistently to be everyday NHL players, more high end talent coming up the system and pushing them back in the pecking order, they're still young making probably crap in the AHL so why not try and make bank in Europe while still advancing their game. We still own rhett's rights and even if we didn't none of these guys leaving really impact our system.
This, plus out of the 3 one is going to Austria and the other Germany, seems like that is where careers go to die. Rhett might be back but the others I think are pretty much done like dinner.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Moosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the potential work stoppage (which I personally don't believe will happen) could be playing a role.

I'd also think there is a good possibilty of a lockout. I don't see Fehr bending over backwards to cooperate with the owners.

Moosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:23 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarmynative View Post
It is better for them. Probably all 1 year contracts and the Organization will watch them and see how they do against (what I assume) is higher competition than the AHL. They can still come back.
def not. AHL is right there with SEL/KHL as 2nd best league competition-wise

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:42 AM
pattyb91

Send a message via AIM to pattyb91
Not happy about this...I thought DiBenedetto was a good depth option, and I liked him as a player.

pattyb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:28 PM
IslesNorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
This, plus out of the 3 one is going to Austria and the other Germany, seems like that is where careers go to die. Rhett might be back but the others I think are pretty much done like dinner.
The money is lots better in Austria or Germany compared to the AHL, so it's an understandable choice. Given the choice, would you rather have a good career in Europe or play your best years in the AHL to no avail? I also think Rhett might be back if he does well.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:43 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
A logical move for all three. Important factor to consider is the insane depth NYI has in their cupboard. They are slowly moving down the depth charts for younger, better prospects, and there is more of an opportunity to advance their skills/recognition in other leagues. A bigger fish in a smaller pond.

Snow is going to have to bring in some depth to support the AHL newbies, although we all know how apt he is at doing that with the parent club.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyb91 View Post
Not happy about this...I thought DiBenedetto was a good depth option, and I liked him as a player.
Me too. He can put up decent numbers in the AHL in a supporting role and in the NHL he can agitate with the best of them IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
A logical move for all three. Important factor to consider is the insane depth NYI has in their cupboard. They are slowly moving down the depth charts for younger, better prospects, and there is more of an opportunity to advance their skills/recognition in other leagues. A bigger fish in a smaller pond.

Snow is going to have to bring in some depth to support the AHL newbies, although we all know how apt he is at doing that with the parent club.
I don't blame Dibo, or anyone else. They see guys like Persson, Sundstrom, Nelson, Nino and Kabanov coming in and see their ice time fading. I wish they stayed to be good vets for them but whatever. I think it made the most sense for Rhett who was battling injury issues but for Katic, I think he had a decent shot at 20 games or so. He showed promise in his first callup and then had a bad injury. Dibo is someone I also thought had a shot at a 4th line spot since Reasoner may not be back, Pandolfo may not be back and Nino will be in the minors. Joensuu is back but there are still options for him.

Oh well. Not even small deal, it's just depth players who are looking at the possibility of 10 games or so.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

His AHL salary was $55K, the Euro is worth $1.27 - so if he was receiving that same figure in Europe, he'd be making $69,850. I'm sure he signed for $100K+ USD so good for him, take their Euros and cash in on the opportunity instead of playing for peanuts in the AHL.

Even after taxes, I believe DiBo will still make more in Austria than in NA.

Last edited by Poulin 0n My St1ck: 06-20-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline   Reply With Quote