HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Murray to the Habs ?

Old
06-20-2012, 04:31 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

vCash: 500
If the habs do draft Murray, then down the road they can trade Subban, Beaulieu, or Murray for that centre they need.

I don't have Tinordi as he isn't like the others. Also, he'd have to go beyond expectation to be a vital part in getting a number 1 centre. The style Murray plays would make Subban, or Beaulieu expendable.

Though, the habs might view Murray as the 5th best player in the draft, thus making him not the BPA.

For all we know, they could have Malcolm as the 2nd best player in the draft and would be ecstatic at getting him.

What happens if the Oilers feel Murray is better than Yak and Columbus feels the risk of getting another Russian is too great ? Or they even feel a player in the draft is better than Yak ?

To me, the whole first round of this draft will be out of the norm of what the average person suspects.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManSam View Post
Never thought about it, but if he could step in right away, he would be a fantastic stabilizer for PK Subban. IMO I think it would be a smart pick if he fell to them.
PK plays 24 mins a night in all situations...not sure if they draft Murray, that Murray will be the one stabilizing him

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 06:46 PM
Zeroknowledge*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
Exactly. If their top 5 before the draft looks like:

1. Yak
2. Forsberg
3. Murray
4. Galy
5. Grig

on draft day, and Yak - Forsberg go 1-2, then they take Murray at 3, not Galchenyuk.

BPA, BPA always.
I doubt Grig is anywhere near 5 on their list.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:17 PM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by byeyimini View Post
is there any chance he goes to the Habs ? Or is that just not on their radar at all ?? as in it's going to be a forward no matter what.
Can't see it...Timmins generally selects most upside. Murray is NHL ready but not most talented d-man in this draft

Mats86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:10 PM
Malreg

It depends on what the philosophy of the new management is.

Under Gainey/Gauthier, Timmons always went BPA, and Timmons has always been a proponent of the BPA philosophy in his interviews.

If Yakupov and Galchenyuk go 1-2, then Murray is a possibility...

If they pick Murray it does NOT mean that they have to trade one of Subban/Tinordi/Bealieu. Why wouldn't they build around a defense core made up of those 4? One offensive defenseman(Beaulieu), a physical stay-at-home type(Tinordi), and two all-around defensemen (Subban, Murray), would be fine by me!

Malreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:20 PM
JSBach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
If the habs do draft Murray, then down the road they can trade Subban, Beaulieu, or Murray for that centre they need.

I don't have Tinordi as he isn't like the others. Also, he'd have to go beyond expectation to be a vital part in getting a number 1 centre. The style Murray plays would make Subban, or Beaulieu expendable.

Though, the habs might view Murray as the 5th best player in the draft, thus making him not the BPA.

For all we know, they could have Malcolm as the 2nd best player in the draft and would be ecstatic at getting him.

What happens if the Oilers feel Murray is better than Yak and Columbus feels the risk of getting another Russian is too great ? Or they even feel a player in the draft is better than Yak ?

To me, the whole first round of this draft will be out of the norm of what the average person suspects.
That would be a disastrous pick in my mind. The last thing we need is a goalie. Even if we could end up trading one of them down the line, this would be looked on as a serious missed opportunity.

JSBach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:02 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

I highly doubt it happens..

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:06 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Only problem with this is I think it's much easier to trade for a top defenseman then a top center. The problem with this logic is let's say one becomes a star NHLer and the other 2 good NHLers, do you want to trade the guy who is a star?

Chances are if you are lucky you might be able to trade the guy who is your #2 for somebody at the level of say Jeff Carter

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:11 AM
SauceHockey
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fall of Troy View Post
That would be a disastrous pick in my mind. The last thing we need is a goalie. Even if we could end up trading one of them down the line, this would be looked on as a serious missed opportunity.
M.Subban will replace Budaj

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 08:43 AM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fall of Troy View Post
LMAO if they pick Subban with #3 my head will explode

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 08:59 AM
tony d
The franchise

I think they will end up drafting a forward, they have a huge need in their organization for a forward.

06-21-2012, 11:12 AM
byeyimini

I actually think they are going to draft a forward too, but when I saw Bobby Mac's list with Murray at #2 again I was thinking well if Columbus goes with a forward and Murray is sitting there...is it within the real of possibility ? Sure would leave them with a solid young core of defenders that would come into their prime at just he right time. dunno, we'll see I guess.

byeyimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:16 AM
LeMAD

''Best player available. You always go with the best player available, and especially when you draft this high.''

-Marc Bergevin

(posted on a video on RDS.ca a month ago)

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:45 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
Exactly. If their top 5 before the draft looks like:

1. Yak
2. Forsberg
3. Murray
4. Galy
5. Grig

on draft day, and Yak - Forsberg go 1-2, then they take Murray at 3, not Galchenyuk.

BPA, BPA always.
Problem is BPA is a generic subjective term. You may have scouting and GM consensus but there has been high draft choice that totally bomb out o say BPA always doesn't really mean that much except the odds are better the higher you draft.

Hacing said that, I would no doubt pick Yakupov #1 if I were the Oilers, with the draft being such a crap shoot at times.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:03 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Habs will go BPA... If Murray is highest rated guy on their list that is available they will take him.

Would be a good outcome, imho. Too much parity among the forwards whereas Murray seems to be the consensus #1 d-man. Although, guys have been closing the gap with the pre-draft fervor approaching.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:12 PM
tikkanen5rings*

They have a boner for Teravainen. I wouldn't be surpriced if they moved down and draft him.

tikkanen5rings* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:35 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

I'd be happy either way (forward or defense)--no goalie at 3rd overall, pretty please?

I don't understand those who claim the Canadiens don't need defense. I like our group of forwards better than our group of dmen. The only two solid players we currently have on D are Subban and Gorges. After that, it's Markov who's still a question mark due to chronic injuries, Emelin, Weber and Diaz who *might* get better but if they don't, shouldn't be anywhere near the top-4, and then you have a Kaberle on the decline.

Sure, we have some prospects coming up the system, but while they've shown great things in junior, none of them inspire me enough confidence to claim our future is set in stone on defense.

I'm not trying to make a case against drafting a forward at all. I'd probably be a bit happier with a forward, if only because of how much fun it is to watch a talented, dominant forward play for your team. I just think the Canadiens have holes all over the roster except in net.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Plante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
I'd be happy either way (forward or defense)--no goalie at 3rd overall, pretty please?

I don't understand those who claim the Canadiens don't need defense. I like our group of forwards better than our group of dmen. The only two solid players we currently have on D are Subban and Gorges. After that, it's Markov who's still a question mark due to chronic injuries, Emelin, Weber and Diaz who *might* get better but if they don't, shouldn't be anywhere near the top-4, and then you have a Kaberle on the decline.

Sure, we have some prospects coming up the system, but while they've shown great things in junior, none of them inspire me enough confidence to claim our future is set in stone on defense.

I'm not trying to make a case against drafting a forward at all. I'd probably be a bit happier with a forward, if only because of how much fun it is to watch a talented, dominant forward play for your team. I just think the Canadiens have holes all over the roster except in net.

I just don't see how you can be a habs fan and not see we desperately need a #1 C.

Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:08 PM
Qvist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3652 View Post
do they need a player this year? Murray is not ready to play in the NHL. If they are ok to wait one or two years then why not. If they need a forward NOW they will have to trade their pick to get a player that is NHL ready
To make drafting decisions on the basis of who you think is going to help you right away is famously and rightly regarded as stupid, but if the Canadiens nevertheless do, Murreay would in fact probably be their best option. Other than Yakupov, he might be the only prospect ready to step up.

Qvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:09 PM
Qvist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plante View Post
I just don't see how you can be a habs fan and not see we desperately need a #1 C.
You need BPA. Same as always. Nobody you draft is likely to be a #1C for at least half a decade, by which time your needs might be other.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Qvist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Problem is BPA is a generic subjective term. You may have scouting and GM consensus but there has been high draft choice that totally bomb out o say BPA always doesn't really mean that much except the odds are better the higher you draft.

Hacing said that, I would no doubt pick Yakupov #1 if I were the Oilers, with the draft being such a crap shoot at times.
Consensus doesn't mean anything. BPA is whoever the team who drafts think is the best player available, without taking team positional needs etc particularly into account.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:26 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
This whole center thing is overblown. It would be amazing to have a superstar center. Yet, it would be equally amazing to have a superstar defenseman or winger. Talent is talent, regardless of position. I like our centers better than our wingers. You may not like Desharnais (just guessing), but he put up (low-end) #1 center numbers last year, and Plekanec is a solid two-way player that perfectly fits the role on the 2nd line. Then, you have Eller who will improve and seems to have a pretty high ceiling. On the wings, after Cole, Pacioretty and Gionta, it doesn't look too good.

I feel we have decent depth at center. It could be improved, but it's not a dire need, as some would think. Meanwhile, you need 4 to 6 good wingers, we only have 3.

Once again, I'm not saying we shouldn't draft a center. I just think the whole center thing is an obsession that started a few years ago when we only had Koivu and that just stuck around for whatever reason.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:27 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qvist View Post
You need BPA. Same as always. Nobody you draft is likely to be a #1C for at least half a decade, by which time your needs might be other.
Also, this.

See: Carey Price.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:02 PM
LeMAD

Quote:
Plekanec and Desharnais might be both top-30 centers in the league.

We desperately need good players, no matter the position. Actually our wingers are pretty bad, and our defense is even worse. And there are question marks over both Grigorenko and Galchenyuk (including being Russian).

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:11 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qvist View Post
Consensus doesn't mean anything. BPA is whoever the team who drafts think is the best player available, without taking team positional needs etc particularly into account.
You are right. There has been quite a few consensus high picks that have bombed for one reason or another. There is no absolute BPA until you view the draft 10 plus years from now.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote