HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues

CHL Rio Grande suspends operations

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-20-2012, 12:00 PM
  #1
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 55,263
vCash: 500
CHL Rio Grande suspends operations

SARampage_Voice: [AHL] Rampage and #FlaPanthers CHL affiliate Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees suspended operations and will not play next season

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:11 PM
  #2
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 55,263
vCash: 500
http://www.killerbeehockey.com/2012/...nd-operations/

Cost of business. Too many out-of-state teams, too few in state teams == higher expenses.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:27 PM
  #3
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 24,460
vCash: 50
Can that league get some good news for a change, please?

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:51 PM
  #4
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola
 
FrancoRussianAlaskan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pensacola, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,498
vCash: 500
Closest CHL team was the Brahmas at 525 miles. Yikes.

FrancoRussianAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:16 PM
  #5
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,029
vCash: 500
Once Laredo closed up shop this was inevitable.

How many teams are left in this league now??? 9 or 10?

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:47 PM
  #6
TopCityAirCapHockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 34
vCash: 500
This will leave the CHL with 10 teams. I wouldn't be surprised to hear merger talk over the next year.

TopCityAirCapHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:49 PM
  #7
IceFlyersRule
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 44
vCash: 500
once larardo folded this was infact inevitable,I just cant believe it didnt happpen earlier. and there is now 10 teams in the league. its hard to believe the CHL who was once as big as the ECHL in its glory days of 30 teams is now the size of the SPHL just 5 years later.

IceFlyersRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:27 PM
  #8
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola
 
FrancoRussianAlaskan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pensacola, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,498
vCash: 500
League size isn't a fair judge of league strength. Hell I'd say the CHL is better off at 10-12 than when it was close to 30. Get solidly run teams that don't have to deal with crazy travel and maintain. If a good opportunity arises in a new market, take a chance but do not over expand.

FrancoRussianAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:09 PM
  #9
akacesfan
Leafs/Aces/Seawolves
 
akacesfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Anchorage, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 293
vCash: 500
This league is just falling apart. Honestly, I could see Allen, Missouri, Rapid City, Wichita, and maybe Tulsa or Arizona jumping leagues. The rest... well, we'll see.

akacesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:28 PM
  #10
IceFlyersRule
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 44
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoRussianAlaskan View Post
League size isn't a fair judge of league strength. Hell I'd say the CHL is better off at 10-12 than when it was close to 30. Get solidly run teams that don't have to deal with crazy travel and maintain. If a good opportunity arises in a new market, take a chance but do not over expand.
While that is true if you would have told me that the CHL would only have ten teams i would be shocked I would have said ECHL .but they have done a great job of expanding in the past 5 years and the CHL hasnt at all.

IceFlyersRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:39 PM
  #11
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,029
vCash: 500
http://www.themonitor.com/articles/k...sons-bees.html

http://killerbees.themonitor.com/201...ng-pro-hockey/

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:41 PM
  #12
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFlyersRule View Post
once larardo folded this was infact inevitable,I just cant believe it didnt happpen earlier. and there is now 10 teams in the league. its hard to believe the CHL who was once as big as the ECHL in its glory days of 30 teams is now the size of the SPHL just 5 years later.
Meh, I guess it depends. But I think this league is better than the E. I guess it depends where you live. I live in Elmira and personally I didn't buy season tickets to watch a bunch of FHL Callups.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:42 PM
  #13
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,029
vCash: 500
The CHL has some messes still going:

QC
Bloomington
Arizona

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:17 PM
  #14
IceFlyersRule
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 44
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
Meh, I guess it depends. But I think this league is better than the E. I guess it depends where you live. I live in Elmira and personally I didn't buy season tickets to watch a bunch of FHL Callups.
I understand the FHL part. BUT it is ECHL hockey.. even though ive heard the E has changed alot since the Pensacola IcePilots left so my judgement of the league is based on 5 years ago. but id say the ECHL is better than the CHL based soley on the fact they have faired better over the past 3-4 years and there is more NHL affiliations within the E.

IceFlyersRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:22 PM
  #15
IceFlyersRule
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 44
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
The CHL has some messes still going:

QC
Bloomington
Arizona
As far as that goes 2-3 years well see QC go juniors or to the E,bloomy fold then juniors and arizona fold then juniors. along with the rest of the league which will go to the ECHL and NAHL.Texas and allen willl never go SPHL Unless there happens to bemajor expansion out west with the SP and the closest there thinking right now is Jackson ,MS and Baton Rouge,LA. but long story short this whole league will be nothing but a memory by 2015 in my opinion.

IceFlyersRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:30 AM
  #16
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFlyersRule View Post
I understand the FHL part. BUT it is ECHL hockey.. even though ive heard the E has changed alot since the Pensacola IcePilots left so my judgement of the league is based on 5 years ago. but id say the ECHL is better than the CHL based soley on the fact they have faired better over the past 3-4 years and there is more NHL affiliations within the E.
Affiliations can be great and terrible. See Florida...A lot of luck that both NHL Clubs missed and 1 of the 2 AHL ones did as well. Really it's all about just qualifying. A lot more roster shuffling now than 4-5 years ago. Also Pensacola isn't near like 15 AHL teams so they will just call your guys when in a bind.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:32 AM
  #17
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFlyersRule View Post
As far as that goes 2-3 years well see QC go juniors or to the E,bloomy fold then juniors and arizona fold then juniors. along with the rest of the league which will go to the ECHL and NAHL.Texas and allen willl never go SPHL Unless there happens to bemajor expansion out west with the SP and the closest there thinking right now is Jackson ,MS and Baton Rouge,LA. but long story short this whole league will be nothing but a memory by 2015 in my opinion.
Unless QC gets a sucker no E is coming with their attendance. Bloomington has some clause in their lease that says it must be a pro team. I believe they lost out via a coin flip on being an ECHL team. It was either UHL or ECHL at the time. Well it was UHL and ya know the rest.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.