HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nicklas Jensen to play with AIK in SEL if he does not make Canucks (upd: July 2)

Old
06-20-2012, 01:54 PM
metric

vCash: 500
@TEAM1040: Gillis on Jensen: It's his decision to do that (Sweden).We think he has a chance to be a bigtime player. Really pleased with his development

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:56 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatley View Post
Why can you not play in the AHL until you're 20, but you can play in the NHL as a teenager?
same reason you can't play in the NBA until you're 19.

the NCAA/CHL develop players for the pros for free. the pro leagues create these seemingly arbitrary rules to protect the economic life of those developmental leagues.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:57 PM
struckmatch

The Canucks need to let some of their younger players onto this squad. They just don't ever have young players contributing on a regular basis. I would love to see Jensen compete and win a spot on the team, but then I just know AV would ruin him.

struckmatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GoTeamDom

CHL/NHL have an agreement that NHL teams can't send players to the AHL until they are 20.

You keep a lot more talent in the CHL that way, which is better for them as a business

GoTeamDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
same reason you can't play in the NBA until you're 19.

the NCAA/CHL develop players for the pros for free. the pro leagues create these seemingly arbitrary rules to protect the economic life of those developmental leagues.
To be fair the NCAA make a *TON* of money of their basketball/football programs (while the "students" make squat).

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:01 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
To be fair the NCAA make a *TON* of money of their basketball/football programs (while the "students" make squat).
no question, collegiate athletics is a complete scam. but the NBA has been a huge supporter of those draconian rules about student-athlete (non-)compensation because the NCAA continuing to operate in the way it does is good for the NBA too.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Wiggum View Post
Rodin played for Brynas, right? that teams' management picks huuuge favorites, As long as Nicklas goes to a good organization, he'll be fine.
Rodin also went through the Brynas system so he was in a different situation than Jensen. Based on these quotes Jensen is negotiating with a few teams, so I think he can pretty easily gauge whether he would be an important part of the team or stuck on the 3rd/4th line for depth.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Jevo

I would think that two of the 3-4 teams that he is negotiating with are Rögle and Frölunda because of their proximity to Denmark. And they are not bad development clubs. From the looks of their rosters, Frölunda doesn't seem to have a many good offensive wingers, which should make it easier for Jensen to get a regular spot in the top 6, and they only have 7 wingers under contract at the moment. While Rögle just promoted, so I would guess that their roster is rather weak compared to the average SEL club, they have more wingers under contract than Frölunda, but a few are young and not as good as Jensen.

Jevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:20 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Why can you not play in the AHL until you're 20, but you can play in the NHL as a teenager?
Which confuses me because he played 8 AHL games last year.

Anyhow, I'm happy with the decision. I have a feeling he might even make the big team this year.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:21 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Which confuses me because he played 8 AHL games last year.

Anyhow, I'm happy with the decision. I have a feeling he might even make the big team this year.
He could join the Wolves because his OHL team didn't play in the playoffs, or they were eliminated.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:24 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
He could join the Wolves because his OHL team didn't play in the playoffs, or they were eliminated.
OK, thanks for the clear-up.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:44 PM
denkiteki

Quote:
AHL + OHL agreement as part of the current CBA. Otherwise the OHL will not have any star prospects 'cause any decent prospects drafted would just head straight to the AHL if they don't make the NHL team.

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:48 PM
AvantiCanada*

Quote:
And tuition is sky high. What a crooked system that is. In so many ways.

AvantiCanada* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
His right to, doesn't make me worry though. SEL is a fine league, and if he doesn't make the Canucks, he's back in the OHL anyway. Sucks for Generals I guess (that is his OHL team, right?).

It's not like we lose him either way.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:05 PM
mikael99

Well i would argue that it is not only for Jensen to decide, but also Canucks. Sure he might do a great job in camp and land at spot on the NHL roster.

But what rolle and with what minutes? Then the management will have to make a decision. Is this a guy we want to have having around right now, and then use him in spots here and there and maybe even occational bench him ... or will they let him play big minutes in Sweden and prepare him to be a top6 forward @ the canucks.

Personally no matter how good he is, i just cant see Jensen playing top6 minutes at Vancouver for a full season... i could see him do that in Sweden.

From a Denmark point of view, send him to Sweden, then we can use him in the Olympic Qualifications tournement in febraury. Denmark deserves a spot at the olympics.

mikael99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:06 PM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
I would think that two of the 3-4 teams that he is negotiating with are Rögle and Frölunda because of their proximity to Denmark. And they are not bad development clubs. From the looks of their rosters, Frölunda doesn't seem to have a many good offensive wingers, which should make it easier for Jensen to get a regular spot in the top 6, and they only have 7 wingers under contract at the moment. While Rögle just promoted, so I would guess that their roster is rather weak compared to the average SEL club, they have more wingers under contract than Frölunda, but a few are young and not as good as Jensen.
Good call, I'll say Modo is definitively in on him as well.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:29 PM
SomeoneGreat

I'm happy with this. Last I heard he was only getting 2nd line minutes in Oshawa.

SomeoneGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:35 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Rift jk good choice by Jensen

Horvat2Virtanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:40 PM
TheDiver*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Agree on all counts. Shrewd move from Jensen and his agent, actually - a workaround of the CHL's (rather silly) rule about under-20s not being allowed to play in the AHL.
I completely agree.

I find it odd that U-20s can play in the NHL, but not in the AHL.

The SEL would be great for his development because h would be playing against men. I think he's already proven what he can do in Major Junior.

TheDiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
I'm still hoping he makes the team. Might struggle initially but after a full season, could be a solid top 9 contributor.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:41 PM
tantalum

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Gillis has it on his agenda to set up some of these "agreements" with teams in Europe for his prospects he believes should turn pro but CHL rules prevent them from doing so.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:44 PM
TheDiver*

Quote:
Yes, and Junior Hockey owners make a boatload of cash while giving their players a $40 per week allowance while they could be getting an education worth six figures at a top University.

Ron Toigo made a killing off players like Gilbert Brule when the Coliseum was full every night.

Junior Hockey teams are owned by millionaires but the players would make more with a Summer painting business.

Old
06-20-2012, 03:47 PM
TheDiver*

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckmatch View Post
The Canucks need to let some of their younger players onto this squad. They just don't ever have young players contributing on a regular basis. I would love to see Jensen compete and win a spot on the team, but then I just know AV would ruin him.
Are you kidding me?

AV has made a player out of Edler, Hansen, and many others who have had carere seasons under him. AV also developd a lot of players, and guys like Martin Gelinas have publicly given him credit for his development of them in Junior.

I guess some fans are still upse he didn't put the "C" on the rich kid who changed agents every season.

Old
06-20-2012, 03:48 PM
Tim Calhoun
Tim Calhoun

vCash: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Gillis has it on his agenda to set up some of these "agreements" with teams in Europe for his prospects he believes should turn pro but CHL rules prevent them from doing so.
Exactly. With Grenier going to Europe as well, it's clear that Gillis' strategy is to actively use European leagues to develop prospects. Very smart move.

Tim Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:08 PM
Laterade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
Exactly. With Grenier going to Europe as well, it's clear that Gillis' strategy is to actively use European leagues to develop prospects. Very smart move.
Very ingenious if you asked me. Not only is it getting crowded on the Wolves roster anyway with Friesen, Matson, Corrado, and Cannata all graduating from college or juniors, the ECHL is probably the last place you would want to be as a blue chip prospect. It doesn't hurt that he's of European decent from his moms side.

Laterade is offline   Reply With Quote