HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Nicklas Jensen to play with AIK in SEL if he does not make Canucks (upd: July 2)

Old
06-20-2012, 04:27 PM
Jevo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laterade View Post
Very ingenious if you asked me. Not only is it getting crowded on the Wolves roster anyway with Friesen, Matson, Corrado, and Cannata all graduating from college or juniors, the ECHL is probably the last place you would want to be as a blue chip prospect. It doesn't hurt that he's of European decent from his moms side.
He is not just of European descent from his mothers side. He has lived all his life in Denmark until he moved to Oshawa. And his father is also practically Danish at this point, having lived in the country for over 20 years and having played for the Danish national team for over 10 years.

Jevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:41 PM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
He is not just of European descent from his mothers side. He has lived all his life in Denmark until he moved to Oshawa. And his father is also practically Danish at this point, having lived in the country for over 20 years and having played for the Danish national team for over 10 years.
It is also fascinating that he pronounces his surname as if his father were of Danish ancestry despite Dan being from Toronto. During last year's draft, everybody was calling him "Jensen" with a very prominent "j" present.

Has his father adopted the "yen-sen" pronunciation as well?

JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
It is also fascinating that he pronounces his surname as if his father were of Danish ancestry despite Dan being from Toronto. During last year's draft, everybody was calling him "Jensen" with a very prominent "j" present.

I still crack up at the moment that the camera-man wipes out and Jensen looks all concerned.

(EDIT: 2:44 if you want a laugh)

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Jevo

Quote:

I'm not sure if his dad has Danishified (making up words here) the pronunciation of his last name, but I would say it's very likely. The english J-sound is not present in Danish, we only have the soft j-sound that is comparable to the english y, while in Danish, y is used only as a vowel, so no one would really be used to make that sounds while speaking Danish. And Jensen is the most 'popular' last name in Denmark, everyone knows a Jensen, so I would guess that it pretty quickly becomes easier to just roll with the flow and accept that when you are in Denmark you are a 'Yensen' and in Canada you are a 'Jensen'.

Jevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:03 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
As long as it doesn't hinder our ability to use him after this year I see this as a great thing.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:08 PM
biturbo19

Mixed feelings on this.

On the one hand, i completely agree that another year in the OHL would've been largely a waste for Jensen. On the other hand, i'm not super high on the idea of going to the SEL for a year either. But i guess it's probably better than nothing.

Certainly not any worries about Jensen's commitment to the Canucks organization...just a real indictment of the CHL-AHL transfer agreement and how silly the rules are in some situations. They absolutely need to hash out a more sensible and flexible arrangement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I'm not too concerned about that - he acquitted himself very well in his brief showings in Chicago this year, so I think he's got the skill and the moxie to be an impact player for whichever team he signs with.
The ice time and role is my first concern with the SEL. Hopefully his talent shows through and he is given a prominent role with significant ice time in key situations. The talent is surely there, but you see a decent number of examples where promising youngsters are relegated to a limited and inappropriate role because of politics and favouritism. Hopefully that isn't the case with Jensen.

The bigger concern for me though, is him moving back to the big ice surface game. Yes, he'll be playing against men (which is a positive for sure), but he's going to be playing with a lot more open space out there as well (which is a negative). IMO, one of the biggest things Jensen needs to continue to work on is using his size to greater advantage and building more of a physical edge to his game. The SEL doesn't at all strike me as the sort of place to improve that facet of his game. Rarely do you hear of prospects coming over from Sweden with an 'NHL-ready physical game'. Even physical prospects over in Sweden who come over have some adjustment to do. So that worries me a bit.

I'm not extremely worried about the move, and it's probably no better or worse overall than if he were to stay in the OHL for another year...but i definitely have my concerns. It's an absolute shame that he isn't allowed to play in the AHL, as he's a picture perfect example of the case for a modified transfer agreement. *sigh*

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:08 PM
Cntrmid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikael99 View Post
Well i would argue that it is not only for Jensen to decide, but also Canucks. Sure he might do a great job in camp and land at spot on the NHL roster.

But what rolle and with what minutes? Then the management will have to make a decision. Is this a guy we want to have having around right now, and then use him in spots here and there and maybe even occational bench him ... or will they let him play big minutes in Sweden and prepare him to be a top6 forward @ the canucks.

Personally no matter how good he is, i just cant see Jensen playing top6 minutes at Vancouver for a full season... i could see him do that in Sweden.

From a Denmark point of view, send him to Sweden, then we can use him in the Olympic Qualifications tournement in febraury. Denmark deserves a spot at the olympics.
I didn't know that.

I love the move. Just the opportunity for the kid to go and live in Sweden for a year, playing pro hockey, living on his own, I don't know, being surrounded by Swedish girls. Sounds pretty good, no?

He'll play against men, and I agree with another posted who pointed out his stint with the Wolves as evidence that he has the class to make an impact at that level.

If he gets to represent Denmark at an extra international event, a pretty big one for his country at at that, all the better. Cherry on top.

I like this trend of using Europe as a development route. Gives the young men great life experiences.

Cntrmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Cntrmid

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
Mixed feelings on this.

The bigger concern for me though, is him moving back to the big ice surface game. Yes, he'll be playing against men (which is a positive for sure), but he's going to be playing with a lot more open space out there as well (which is a negative). IMO, one of the biggest things Jensen needs to continue to work on is using his size to greater advantage and building more of a physical edge to his game. The SEL doesn't at all strike me as the sort of place to improve that facet of his game. Rarely do you hear of prospects coming over from Sweden with an 'NHL-ready physical game'. Even physical prospects over in Sweden who come over have some adjustment to do. So that worries me a bit.

Good point, particularly as his game, ideally, would involve a lot of corner work and low puck-protection type play. But even if he takes 6 months to readjust to the smaller ice in 2013, it shouldn't hinder him long term. I remain positive on the idea.

Cntrmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:31 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laterade View Post
Very ingenious if you asked me. Not only is it getting crowded on the Wolves roster anyway with Friesen, Matson, Corrado, and Cannata all graduating from college or juniors, the ECHL is probably the last place you would want to be as a blue chip prospect. It doesn't hurt that he's of European decent from his moms side.
If Jensen were age eligible, there's no way he doesn't make the AHL. He had 6 goals in 8 AHL games this year. He'd never see the ECHL, and doesn't play the same position as any of the players you've mentioned.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 06:09 PM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

vCash: 420
Quote:

His father is a 1st or 2nd generation Canadian. His (Dan's) parents moved to Canada from Denmark, I'd assume that his name was pronounced "Yensen", but after about 30 years in Canada before Dan went to Denmark, it had become "Jensen" and simply reverted after he moved back.

Hansen 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:02 PM
Hielo Grande

....so Nicolas Hensen will play in Vancouver or Suecia

definitive pronunciación

Hielo Grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:04 PM
arsmaster

Think Naslund brings him to Modo?

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:39 PM
MS

Could be a good move if he gets icetime, could be a bad move if he doesn't.

Keep in mind that the team he signs for will have nothing invested in him and know they only have him for 1 year, so he'll really have to earn icetime ... won't get it because the team is 'developing' him and want him to grow.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:41 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Canucks pushing their prospects to pro in Europe?

Interesting idea.

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:46 PM
The Gourmet
Potage Le Magnifique

I hope he makes the Canucks. The way the coaches were raving about him last year makes me think he's got a shot.

The Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:02 PM
ayoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneGreat View Post
I'm happy with this. Last I heard he was only getting 2nd line minutes in Oshawa.
Well it is unlikely he will get anything more than that on a full professional team with veterans and no real incentive to develop a player who will only be there a season or two.

I guess I am in the minority here, but I would prefer Jensen stay at Oshawa. It is not like he was dominating or anything - barely a point-per-game as a 18/19 year old, tied for 3rd in team scoring.

If he was only playing 2nd line minutes I hardly see how staying in Major Junior is "a waste". He can further develop into the Generals #1 player, improve his offensive output, and continue to work on his defensive game.

Also, I believe he could benefit from the added confidence that goes with (hopefully) being one of the best players in the OHL (if he does well).

I could easily see him playing 4th/3rd line minutes on an SEL club. That's like 7-12mins a game. If he stays at Oshawa he can be their go-to guy. Something he has yet to achieve.

ayoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:11 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckmatch View Post
The Canucks need to let some of their younger players onto this squad. They just don't ever have young players contributing on a regular basis. I would love to see Jensen compete and win a spot on the team, but then I just know AV would ruin him.
There's very little truth in this post, IMO.

They don't ever have young players contributing on a regular basis because we don't have great prospects, not because they don't get a chance.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:13 PM
HankieDankie

I'd love it if he went to Modo to play under Naslund.

One great Canuck winger mentoring the next great Canuck winger? Count me in.

If Naslund could mentor him, it could ensure he gets a fair chance and good amount of ice time, and maybe Jensen could learn a few things from #19 as well. Maybe Jensen comes back with a lethal wrister

HankieDankie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:23 PM
mrbitterguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoshi View Post
I guess I am in the minority here, but I would prefer Jensen stay at Oshawa. It is not like he was dominating or anything - barely a point-per-game as a 18/19 year old, tied for 3rd in team scoring.

If he was only playing 2nd line minutes I hardly see how staying in Major Junior is "a waste". He can further develop into the Generals #1 player, improve his offensive output, and continue to work on his defensive game.
you have to look at it from jensen's perspective though. it's a waste for him to play a year for free when he could be making a salary closer to home. a lot of kids don't have that option but he is and i don't mind at all that he takes advantage of it.

frankly if the season starts on time there's a reasonable chance that he makes the nhl team and this is all moot.

mrbitterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:13 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckmatch View Post
The Canucks need to let some of their younger players onto this squad. They just don't ever have young players contributing on a regular basis. I would love to see Jensen compete and win a spot on the team, but then I just know AV would ruin him.
Give him Raymond's spot. And AV actually had a love fest going with Jensen last year in preseason.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:15 PM
Peter Griffin

Good, I'd rather he play against men in the SEL than play another year in the OHL. He showed he has the ability to produce at the pro ranks in the time he saw with the Wolves.

That said, I think there is a good chance Jensen cracks the Canucks' roster. He almost made it last year and Gillis has said he wants the Canucks to get younger and bigger...

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:17 PM
MajorCanuck
Cup Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Good, I'd rather he play against men in the SEL than play another year in the OHL. He showed he has the ability to produce at the pro ranks in the time he saw with the Wolves.

That said, I think there is a good chance Jensen cracks the Canucks' roster. He almost made it last year and Gillis has said he wants the Canucks to get younger and bigger...
With Kesler out for parts of the season, and Raymond potentially being packaged with Luongo, its a great chance for Schroeder, Jensen and Kassian to make their marks on the roster.

MajorCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:17 PM
Provost

I suspect that unless he cans out in training camp he will make the big club (at the very least for his 9 games). Teenagers are making contributions on other teams... and why not inject some youth into the squad.

It does somewhat depend on who gets moved out from our roster during the summer in trades.

Hansen/Raymond/Weise/Alberts/Ballard are not exactly locks to be with the Canucks by training camp. I could easily see any of them moving out as part of a Luongo deal. If it is Hansen moving, then you could easily see Jensen slotting into the 2nd/3rd line wing

Provost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:20 PM
Trvp Lord

Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
Go to Brynas and play on a line with Jarnkrok please?

Trvp Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:22 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provost View Post
I suspect that unless he cans out in training camp he will make the big club (at the very least for his 9 games). Teenagers are making contributions on other teams... and why not inject some youth into the squad.

It does somewhat depend on who gets moved out from our roster during the summer in trades.

Hansen/Raymond/Weise/Alberts/Ballard are not exactly locks to be with the Canucks by training camp. I could easily see any of them moving out as part of a Luongo deal. If it is Hansen moving, then you could easily see Jensen slotting into the 2nd/3rd line wing
I think Hansen stays. Danish players have shown that they have tremendous amounts of heart in clutch situations like the playoffs (Boedker and Hansen) and there's no way I'm move him.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote