HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Nicklas Jensen to play with AIK in SEL if he does not make Canucks (upd: July 2)

Old
08-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Robin Hood

vCash: 500
Confirmed with link: Jensen will play for AIK for entire season

Hi,

AIK confirmes on its website that Nicklas Jensen will play for its SEL team for the entire 12/13 season. http://aikhockey.se/artikel/24888/

He has been training with the team for about a month and the decision has been made together with the Vancouver Canucks. Apparently the threat of a lockout is so imminent that he is transfered officially now in order to begin to play matches with AIK.

The AIK coach is thrilled to have him and it seems he's is eager to use him a lot.

This also means that he can play for Team Denmark in the crucial Olympic Qualification tournament in february.

Robin Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovand View Post
Hi,

AIK confirmes on its website that Nicklas Jensen will play for its SEL team for the entire 12/13 season. http://aikhockey.se/artikel/24888/

He has been training with the team for about a month and the decision has been made together with the Vancouver Canucks. Apparently the threat of a lockout is so imminent that he is transfered officially now in order to begin to play matches with AIK.

The AIK coach is thrilled to have him and it seems he's is eager to use him a lot.

This also means that he can play for Team Denmark in the crucial Olympic Qualification tournament in february.
Great for his developement. I would have liked him to get in another camp though.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Taco Fingerhat

vCash: 3754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
Great for his developement. I would have liked him to get in another camp though.
Agreed. I had a gut feeling that he was going to have a lights out camp and crack our roster. Wishful thinking perhaps. He'll be playing much bigger minutes in Europe with a larger role, so it's still a win-win.

Taco Fingerhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 01:29 PM
Barney Gumble

Think he was AHL bound in any event - and there's no lockout pending there (not sure why the NHL lockout would have a siginificant bearing with respect to him).

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 01:31 PM
Robin Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Think he was AHL bound in any event - and there's no lockout pending there (not sure why the NHL lockout would have a siginificant bearing with respect to him).
Unless they changed the rules in case of a lockout he can't play AHL. It was either OHL or NHL for him - or SEL.

Robin Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovand View Post
Unless they changed the rules in case of a lockout he can't play AHL. It was either OHL or NHL for him - or SEL.
Oh crap - you're right (I forgot about that).

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 06:38 PM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Fingerhat View Post
Agreed. I had a gut feeling that he was going to have a lights out camp and crack our roster. Wishful thinking perhaps. He'll be playing much bigger minutes in Europe with a larger role, so it's still a win-win.
Same here, very sad to see him not try to crack the roster this year. Him and Kassian were the two reasons i was excited for the year.

Pseudonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 06:41 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Jamie Benn!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
Same here, very sad to see him not try to crack the roster this year. Him and Kassian were the two reasons i was excited for the year.
Yeah, same here. After his performance in the pre-season last year, I was extremely excited to see him put on a Canucks uniform again for the pre-season and see how much he's grown as a player. But I also believe he will flourish in the SEL and play quality minutes over there against Top-Class players, so I can't harp on his decision to go there.

Twitter | HFBoards Contact | Youtube | Instagram| Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 06:49 PM
vadim sharifijanov

it's really too bad he can't play in the AHL. if there is a lockout, playing against the best prospects and young pros in the world in a super-AHL would be fantastic for his development. remember what it did for so many of the stars of the '03 draft, including kesler?

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 06:53 PM
vadim sharifijanov

according to his agent, there is a possibility he might stay in the SEL for the year in the event of a shortened season but they will make that decision if/when that happens.

Quote:
Thun said Jensen will attend the Canucks training camp next month, provided it is not postponed due to a NHL lockout. Some Swedish media reports had suggested Jensen was not planning on attending the Vancouver camp.

"In relation to training camp and him coming over, there has been no change," Thun said. "Hopefully he makes the team and doesn't have to go back to play for AIK. That wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. But that's the plan, he comes to camp."

Thun said the only scenario where Jensen might not attend Vancouver's training camp would be if the season was shortened because of a lockout.

"If the season doesn't start until February maybe he won't come over," Thun said. "But at this point, that is purely conjecture."
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/C...330/story.html

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 07:40 PM
Stonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
according to his agent, there is a possibility he might stay in the SEL for the year in the event of a shortened season but they will make that decision if/when that happens.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/C...330/story.html
Pretty much an ideal arrangement for both Jensen and the Canucks.

Stonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 02:07 AM
ProstheticConscience
I see an eagle

vCash: 883
*grumbles*

There goes my fantasy of Jensen making the Canucks out of camp (assuming there's going to be a camp at all this year).

Oh well, better for his development he plays in the SEL against men than the OHL against boys. GL, Nicky.

Also, had some great Engrish.com moments when I had chrome translate the aikhockey page into English from Swedish.

ProstheticConscience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 03:24 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Still wish he could be eligible to play in the AHL this year if there's a lockout. Did that lockout year spent in the AHL really make that much of a difference for the '03 draft class?

vanuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 02:10 AM
Yossarian54

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Still wish he could be eligible to play in the AHL this year if there's a lockout. Did that lockout year spent in the AHL really make that much of a difference for the '03 draft class?
I don't think anyone can definitively say yea or nay either way but it sure looks like it, given the sheer amount of talent that emerged from the 1st round.

Yossarian54 is offline   Reply With Quote