HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

sherman at the draft

Old
06-20-2012, 01:19 PM
avsfan9

vCash: 500
sherman at the draft

do you guy's think sherman will make a move at the draft or wait for free agency?

avsfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Joe Sakic
Goodbye ROR

vCash: 125
I think he will at least be trying to make a move.

However, I doubt something gets done but you never know.

Joe Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Wilson is gonna get dealt at the draft, BANK ON IT

Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:35 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
I agree with this. I don't see much of a future for him here when Gaunce is pretty much ready for the #5 role. On the right team, I could see Wilson as a #4. It just won't happen here with O'Byrne, Hejda, EJ, and whoever Sherman shoots for in free agency.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I agree with this. I don't see much of a future for him here when Gaunce is pretty much ready for the #5 role. On the right team, I could see Wilson as a #4. It just won't happen here with O'Byrne, Hejda, EJ, and whoever Sherman shoots for in free agency.
I don't think he has a future with the Avs either, but why does everyone think it's a given he'll be traded at the draft.

I don't see it happening unless they acquire Suter's rights. It doesn't look like they'll resign O'Brien either, so it would be pretty stupid to go into the offseason with EJ, Hunwick, O'Byrne, and Hejda as their only NHL proven defenseman.

That would mean they are relying on Elliott, Barrie, or Gaunce, or adding at least two NHL defenseman in free agency. Why not just keep Wilson and O'Brien if that were the case.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:49 PM
avsfan9

gonna miss those big hits if he gets delt. hopefully gaunce can bring the same type of game.

avsfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:04 PM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
Not gonna happen (but maybe in a trade which brings back a physical dman). You can't rely on a D consisting of EJ, ROB, Hejda, Hunwick and a bunch of rookies. He'll probably (better: possibly) get traded at some point but not before free agency imo. Gaunce will replace SOB.

klozge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:14 PM
Hans Landaskog

Quote:
Originally Posted by klozge View Post
Gaunce will replace SOB.
This.

Keep Wilson for now because he is more than serviceable. Good passer, hard hitter and somewhat dependable. If we don't get any D during FA he needs to play with EJ until Gaunce or somebody else can step in to that top pairing.

Hans Landaskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:15 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

If Wilson is traded, it will be a signal that the Avs plan to be players for the 'big' free agent defensemen (Suter, Garrison, Wideman).

Old
06-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Drij

I'd rather keep SOB then Wilson...

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:51 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
You must be joking.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:52 PM
BoxOfChocolates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
You must be joking.
Meh, they both suck

BoxOfChocolates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
I wouldn't.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:12 PM
Kloparren
Hth

I hope not, all he got for Liles last season was a 2nd round pick with one full year left on the contract. Friggin Kaberle got a 1st + a very good prospect (Colborne) with less than half a season left on his deal and he gets us a late 2nd for Liles.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:46 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
I hope not, all he got for Liles last season was a 2nd round pick with one full year left on the contract. Friggin Kaberle got a 1st + a very good prospect (Colborne) with less than half a season left on his deal and he gets us a late 2nd for Liles.
You see no difference between Liles and Kaberle as players? You don't see the implications of moving salary and taking none back in the salary cap world?

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:47 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
You're not the only one. I think people vastly overrate Wilson, and exaggerate O'Brien's faults because he was forced into a larger role.

I think they're both similar 3rd pairing defenseman, but O'Brien adds an element of nastiness, and is better able to stick up for his teammates. Plus he keeps the guys loose.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Drij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
You're not the only one. I think people vastly overrate Wilson, and exaggerate O'Brien's faults because he was forced into a larger role.

I think they're both similar 3rd pairing defenseman, but O'Brien adds an element of nastiness, and is better able to stick up for his teammates. Plus he keeps the guys loose.
O'Brien is better all around then Wilson.
Wilson occasionally makes big hits but that's it.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:27 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
I can see any one of Mueller, Kobasew, Wilson, Barrie, Elliott, or Gaunce being dealt.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:33 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

I don't see Sherm doing anything earth-shattering at the draft, hopefully he's gearing up for a big splash in FA, but we'll see.

As for Wilson, he's a perfectly serviceable bottom-pairing D-man. Both he and SOB were forced to play more minutes and a bigger role than either should have been asked to do.

His concussion history is getting a little troubling though. Guess we'll see what they do, but I wouldn't expect him to be dealt until the Avs start the season and have a better idea where they're at defensively...unless of course they make that aforementioned big splash and sign a big-name blueliner, then I think he's gone.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:37 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
I can see any one of Mueller, Kobasew, Wilson, Barrie, Elliott, or Gaunce being dealt.
I don't really see a chance that Gaunce or Elliott get dealt. Gaunce because he is the only defensive defenseman we have being close to ready. Elliott because he has very high potential.

Barrie will likely top out as a tweener top 4, 2nd powerplay sorts and those are a dime a dozen. Wilson is expendable if we can sign one LD. Mueller has the injury history and I could see the Avs wanting something more reliable.

Old
06-20-2012, 05:50 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Only way I could see them dealing a guy like Barrie is for a youngish, already top 4 defenseman (Hjalmarsson?).

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 06:25 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 531
i could see some wheels being in motion but i'm not convinced that a deal will be concluded.

CalderKing21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I don't really see a chance that Gaunce or Elliott get dealt. Gaunce because he is the only defensive defenseman we have being close to ready. Elliott because he has very high potential.

Barrie will likely top out as a tweener top 4, 2nd powerplay sorts and those are a dime a dozen. Wilson is expendable if we can sign one LD. Mueller has the injury history and I could see the Avs wanting something more reliable.
I actually think the opposite about Barrie. I think Barrie has the tools to be a very good Dman, possibly even Top pairing. He's small but is more then willing to initiate contact, and a very good outlit passer and Offensive game. All he needs to do IMO is work on positioning a little, and he could be a very good #3 Dman, maybe even decent #2. Elliott on the other hand Im not entirely sold on. He shys away from Contact, and IMO didnt looks that greatest positionally in the Big league last year either, which was supposed to be his strength.

If I were to guess, I would guess Elliot has more of a chance of only being a Top 4 tweener then Barrie.

Now regardless, I dont think we see either one of them or Gaunce traded unless its a part of a package that brings a real talented player back, and I dont think we have the Extra assets neccesary to bring real talent back without giving up one of our Centers.

I could see something like Siemens + Elliott + 2nd being packaged for someone, but I dont know who that someone would be.

I would also do Siemens + Elliott + 2nd + 2013 1st for Bobby Ryan. Ducks Need Defense pretty badly and pick up 2 nice Prospects in that deal, and 2 Top 40 Picks. Not sure if its enough to get Ryan, but I dont think its all that far off.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:16 PM
The Shermanator
Knee Brace Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
I would also do Siemens + Elliott + 2nd + 2013 1st for Bobby Ryan. Ducks Need Defense pretty badly and pick up 2 nice Prospects in that deal, and 2 Top 40 Picks. Not sure if its enough to get Ryan, but I dont think its all that far off.
That would be a tough one to swallow. Not sure how'd feel.

The Shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:30 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
This teams prospect group isn't deep enough to be dealing away that many picks/prospects.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote