HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

montoya vs. czech republic?

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2004, 03:05 PM
Levitate

vCash: 500
montoya vs. czech republic?

how did montoya play against the czech republic? anyone wanna give me a quick recap? i missed the game, was on a plane at the time

seems like 2 goals on 31 shots...not bad, .935 save % (or was it 31 saves on 33 shots? i'm kinda drunk at the moment and dont' have the patience to figure it out) but how did he actually look compared to previous games?

i'm pretty dissapointed in the US team...only 1 goal against the czech republic? give me a break. this team doesn't know wtf it's doing, what a joke

Old
12-31-2004, 04:34 PM
Onion Boy

The game wasn't televised in the U.S. I quick read over the thread on the these board and it seemed like the two goals he let in were kinda soft, but he really stepped up in the third when the Czechs were looking for the insurance goal.

Old
12-31-2004, 06:34 PM
Ocelot

I watched it. He did not play all that well in the first two but he picked it up in the third. It was a good game. Lots of chances on both ends. Seemed like no one could score from small mistakes.

Old
12-31-2004, 07:00 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Sadly, I was more impressed with the Michigan backup Ruden last night than Montoya in these games.

He just looks so unsteady. Like he's overanxious.

He makes the hard saves look easy but has difficulty with routine shots and is an adventure playing the puck.

This could also be attributed to positioning and a loss of confidence.

They need to get Allaire to fix Al.

Old
12-31-2004, 08:41 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart
Sadly, I was more impressed with the Michigan backup Ruden last night than Montoya in these games.

He just looks so unsteady. Like he's overanxious.

He makes the hard saves look easy but has difficulty with routine shots and is an adventure playing the puck.

This could also be attributed to positioning and a loss of confidence.

They need to get Allaire to fix Al.
That is great news. The hard saves are what decides the good goalies from the better goalies. Over time he will get himself ready like he wants to be for games and will easily save all these shots that he has been letting in. I dont think confidence has anything to do with Al...after letting in some big softys he has come back and shown he can put it past him..i dont know whats going on durning the tornament...but its part of Als development..its a bump...he has to overcome this and he'll become a better goalie.

Old
01-01-2005, 12:24 AM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
That is great news. The hard saves are what decides the good goalies from the better goalies. Over time he will get himself ready like he wants to be for games and will easily save all these shots that he has been letting in. I dont think confidence has anything to do with Al...after letting in some big softys he has come back and shown he can put it past him..i dont know whats going on durning the tornament...but its part of Als development..its a bump...he has to overcome this and he'll become a better goalie.
It's not good news, not at all.

The soft goals are what kill a team (Dunham anyone). The best goalies are separated from the rest with the ability to make the breakaway or 2-0 save look just as easy as a routine point shot.

Countless goaltenders have only been able to make the impossible save and none of them have lasted very long.

The two goals were weak, he's always down on his knees and his balance is extremely poor right now. Pierre Maguire of TSN was saying that his practicing habits are mediocre at best and that above anything else is what I'm most concerned about. When Maguire gets going he's hard to stop (and extremely annoying) but for the most part he's right. A little bit of success doesn't mean you stop working.

I'm not about to say I told you so but I think some people might be starting to realize that he's not the almighty, infallible prospect that they imagined.

Old
01-01-2005, 07:30 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE
I'm not about to say I told you so but I think some people might be starting to realize that he's not the almighty, infallible prospect that they imagined.
All it means is he has had some struggles during this very short tournament on a team that was not favored to win. No more and no less. This is what most prospects go thru and it's all part of the process. Is McGuire following this player on a regular basis to make such determinations about his work habits, is he talking with professionals at Michigan who work with Montoya daily?

Old
01-01-2005, 01:28 PM
Graveytrain

Sadly, in typical Ranger fashion, Montoya just does not look as talented as many have made him out to be...

Is it really so hard to believe?

Old
01-01-2005, 03:39 PM
Levitate

i think he's quite a talented player but he's not "on his game"

i'm not sure it's fair to say he's not talented at this point since this year has been the abberation for him, not the rule.

Old
01-01-2005, 04:45 PM
Fletch

Hard to say, Gravey...

obviously he had an excellent tournament last year in which he carried his team, an underdog, to a victory. Did he have talent then? Probably, and I doubt he's lost it. He seems to have lost some of hie mental edge. Perhaps, as I believe dedalus pointed out, this whole season is a bit of matter-of-fact for him because he was near-NHL, or near-AHL at the beginning of the season. Not too different from a sophomore slump. I hate making excuses, but at the same time it's real tough to say he's not talented or anything negative. He's been real good, and pretty bad, all the while being behind a consistently bad defense. We'll see how he does in the big games - the others to date are behind this team and are now meaningless.

On another note, how's Korpikosi doing? I know he scored a goal in the first game, against Germany, but am having difficulty finding individual stats - where's Fish?

Old
01-01-2005, 05:03 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
All it means is he has had some struggles during this very short tournament on a team that was not favored to win. No more and no less. This is what most prospects go thru and it's all part of the process. Is McGuire following this player on a regular basis to make such determinations about his work habits, is he talking with professionals at Michigan who work with Montoya daily?
If it were just this tournament it would be different but it's not just this 'very short tournament' - it's been all year.

Sure he's got talent but he's not so talented that he doesn't have to work. The mistakes he's making are a direct result of a lazy effort in goal. His focus is an issue entirely separate from repitition and repitition is what goaltending is all about. He's not putting in the quality, hard-working reps in practice and it's evident. Look at the pad not being down on his fivehole goal or the poor rebound control and awful crease movement (often unbalanced) which led to the top shelf goal from the hash marks. He's not looking for the puck so he's dropping to his knees and that's where he's getting burnt. He's flopping all over the place instead of being patient. There is a saying in the world of goaltending; the flashier the save, the more you're out of position - that much seems to be very true of Montoya, thus far in the tournament and this season.

As far as Maguire goes, of course he's following the player - it's part of his job. Not only is he constantly watching these kids, he's talking to the people that know him best. I wouldn't take everything these guys say as truthful because like everyone else in the business you're hearing opinions. With that said, Maguire is quite often bang on.

Old
01-01-2005, 05:42 PM
Graveytrain

Fletch, Levitate

He is definitely talented... i did say " not as talented " as some have made him out to be, which i think is true...

He certainly does seem to be overrated IMO...making his selection at 6 somewhat suspect if you ask me.... though my opinion is probably biased because i did not agree with the pick anyway...

Many were not sold on Blackburns talent after his experience as an 18 year old, and he was terrific behind a wretched D against NHL shooters

Montoya, about 2 years older then Blackburn at that time... does not appear to have anywhere near the level of talent Danny had/has

He has a long way to go

Old
01-01-2005, 05:46 PM
Fletch

Comparing the two...

Blackburn was more poised. More talented, I don't know. And Blackburn did have some real shaky periods and real shaky games too.

Old
01-01-2005, 05:49 PM
Graveytrain

Yes, he had a couple of stinkers... to be expected i guess...

However, Blackburn made saves that were tremendous, sometimes 2-3-4 in a row...

I just don't see that ability in Montoya

Old
01-01-2005, 06:18 PM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE
Sure he's got talent but he's not so talented that he doesn't have to work. The mistakes he's making are a direct result of a lazy effort in goal. His focus is an issue entirely separate from repitition and repitition is what goaltending is all about. He's not putting in the quality, hard-working reps in practice and it's evident.
Unless your a hockey coach or goaltending coach it's not very fair to say whether this player is working as hard as he should unless you are at practice and observe him not working. Are professional trained experts within Michigan saying Montoya is not working as hard as he should has a lazy work ethic? This is a player without a contract so I find that tough to accept.

Sometimes players simply develop bad habits and at that age are still physically growing.

Closed Thread