HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Joe Thornton to the Leafs

Old
06-20-2012, 06:53 PM
Crazy Joe Divola

vCash: 500
Took longer than I was expecting to be honest.

Crazy Joe Divola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 06:58 PM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

will rage if that is the package for anyone not named Sydney Crosby or Malkin

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 06:59 PM
Pyromaniac3

Not worth it for either team.

Pyromaniac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:00 PM
TMLOBI

That trade looks like a Burke trade to me. He just LOVES giving up the future for a player as young as 33. Let's break down this trade shall we?

Toronto

Thornton- 33 year old Elite 1st line centre for the Leafs through 2013/2014- has to be re-signed as a 35 year old or he becomes an UFA (which with only 2 years as a Leaf he won't have much loyalty to stay unless he drastically changes us to a cup contender)

San Jose

Gardiner-21 year old top 4 dman with top pairing potential his rights are 6 years

Kadri-21 year old blue chip prospect who should play a top 9 roll this year and has first line potential his rights are 5 years

Colborne- 22 year old prospect who should be on the team in a year as the 2nd or 3rd line centre his rights are 5 years

2012 5th overall- Unnamed player with potential to be a top line winger, centre or top pairing dman. You have his rights for a while but if he plays this year in the NHL it would be 7 years. In two years this player might be your top winger, 2nd line centre or a top 4 dman.

So this trade even if the Leafs were in a position to take the cup this coming season still doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I think Burke is going to keep his young group and go after some veteran players via UFA. I understand that Thornton isn't available but you must understand that a package of Gardiner, Kadri, Colborne and the 5th overall selection in the 2012 NHL entry draft are NOT available. I know this may sound crazy but I think if you offered Sidney Crosby for that package a smart GM would turn it down. Crosby obviously has tremendous value BUT that value comes from him re-signing with you. Two years of Thornton is NOT worth the future of the Toronto Maple Leafs! No player is. Now of course if Crosby was on a sign and trade then the value would be a lot more than this package for Thornton (but then why not go after him as a UFA?)

Bottom line PLEASE LEAFS DO NOT TRADE THE FUTURE FOR AN OLDER PLAYER PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! lol

TMLOBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:28 PM
bobg1

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
Why does every leaf proposal have Kadri in it???
It's just the same as all Canuck proposals include Raymond

bobg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:45 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
Why does every leaf proposal have Kadri in it???
Cause most people forgot hes only 21 years old..

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:53 PM
Johnny Bang Bang

The Leafs would only do it for Heatley, Nabokov and Setoguchi. Even this proposal isn't as ridiculous as this Thornton garbage.

Johnny Bang Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:08 PM
Arrch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk View Post

It must hurt your throat, regurgitating this tires old rhetoric.

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:29 PM
ProstheticConscience
WITNESS ME!!!!!!!!

vCash: 50
You know, it's amazing how the Leafs players are all so incredibly valuable yet the team continues to wallow in the NHL basement year after year.

ProstheticConscience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:48 PM
oilinblood

vCash: 553
i think the sharks SHOULD do a trade like this BUT make some changes.

get rid of the crap first... the two AHL talents out. they are just waste of contract quota.

Thorton to TO for Gardiner, 5th overall 2012, Kulemin, 1st RD 2013

the only problem is if sanjose becomes irrelevant for even a season they wont survive in that market. JT will eventually get injured in his old age and the lights will go out in SJose but until then they will wait and hope some world class centre falls in to their laps.

oilinblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:03 PM
CupfortheSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
i think the sharks SHOULD do a trade like this BUT make some changes.

get rid of the crap first... the two AHL talents out. they are just waste of contract quota.

Thorton to TO for Gardiner, 5th overall 2012, Kulemin, 1st RD 2013

the only problem is if sanjose becomes irrelevant for even a season they wont survive in that market. JT will eventually get injured in his old age and the lights will go out in SJose but until then they will wait and hope some world class centre falls in to their laps.
It's clear you don't really know our team and our market.

This thread is funny. A leafs fan proposes a quantity for quality trade for Thornton. EVERY sharks fan says Thornton isn't going anywhere. Then lots of non Sharks fans pile on and say that Thornton isn't worth the futures. What's the point?

A Pittsburgh fan could offer Malkin and Letang for Thornton. Us Sharks fans would be forced to say the same thing. Thornton isn't going anywhere. Even though we know that Malkin and Letang are WAAAAAAY more than we could ever hope or expect to get for Thornton. The fact remains that Jumbo ain't going anywhere.

CupfortheSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:06 PM
Sharksfan83

Anyone who says JT is past his prime, needs to stop looking at point totals to get value of a player.

He has evolved into a more complete player, he plays against the teams best players, and still produces at a PPG rate.

Sharksfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:06 PM
Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupfortheSharks View Post
It's clear you don't really know our team and our market.

This thread is funny. A leafs fan proposes a quantity for quality trade for Thornton. EVERY sharks fan says Thornton isn't going anywhere. Then lots of non Sharks fans pile on and say that Thornton isn't worth the futures. What's the point?

A Pittsburgh fan could offer Malkin and Letang for Thornton. Us Sharks fans would be forced to say the same thing. Thornton isn't going anywhere. Even though we know that Malkin and Letang are WAAAAAAY more than we could ever hope or expect to get for Thornton. The fact remains that Jumbo ain't going anywhere.
No. He proposed a young quality for aging quality trade. Neither team does it in my opinion but if for some reason SJ decided to have a rebuild out of nowhere and Toronto decided to become like their pre-lockout components, then this trade might make sense. No one is claiming JT is done but he IS aging. These guys are just starting their careers, JT is probably closer to the end of his.

06-20-2012, 10:08 PM
Barilko14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
You know, it's amazing how the Leafs players are all so incredibly valuable yet the team continues to wallow in the NHL basement year after year.
Yeah, because Gardiner (the only guy that actually played in the NHL last year) was really the Leafs weak link last year.

Nice try though, this is like me saying Doherty or Petrecki are the reasons San Jose has not won the cup.

Barilko14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:11 PM
Barilko14

This is an excellent trade for the Leafs if the goal is to just make the playoffs for the next couple years, and never actually build towards being a contender.

Barilko14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:19 PM
CupfortheSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
No. He proposed a young quality for aging quality trade.
Ok. Let's call it futures for quality. Gardiner is just getting started. Kadri and Colborne haven't done anything yet....and the #5 is an unknown. Combined, they could be MUCH better or the could fail. We don't know yet. The fact remains that Thornton isn't going anywhere.

CupfortheSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:23 PM
Inverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barilko14 View Post
This is an excellent trade for the Leafs if the goal is to just make the playoffs for the next couple years, and never actually build towards being a contender.
it would be just like the JFJ era again, we trade our top prospects and picks for players who are in their twilight of their careers, good enough to get to you the postseason but no further and we're back to point A again

Inverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:25 PM
hockeyball

Why are you guys getting all upset, there is absolutely ZERO chance of Doug Wilson trading Thornton. He loves the guy, never says a bad word about him. He has a NMC, is easily the teams best player, and wants to retire here.

There is no reason to even be discussing this, let alone getting pissed off about it.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:48 PM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

Thornton isn't available, and he's too old to fit Toronto's rebuild. We aren't getting anywhere. Lock this thread please.

JayP812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:03 PM
BigDmitriy

Send a message via AIM to BigDmitriy Send a message via MSN to BigDmitriy Send a message via Yahoo to BigDmitriy
Meh...if JT was available, I'd probably do this...

BigDmitriy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:31 PM
Mafoofoo
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Why are you guys getting all upset, there is absolutely ZERO chance of Doug Wilson trading Thornton. He loves the guy, never says a bad word about him. He has a NMC, is easily the teams best player, and wants to retire here.

There is no reason to even be discussing this, let alone getting pissed off about it.
Not just DW. The whole ownership group loves the guy.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:10 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Not just DW. The whole ownership group loves the guy.
He's a lovable guy. How can you not love this guy?

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:15 AM
EmergencyExit

vCash: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
Joe's my boy, but I want to watch him on a contender, not pay to see him with my Leafs.
My thoughts exactly. JT is my favourite player, but he's a bad fit for my Leafs. And I'm seeing some serious under rating of Joe in this thread. Yeah he's 33 but the guy has a lot left in the tank, and I feel like he's the type of player who's skillset won't be rendered useless even in his late 30s.

In any case, it's a bad fit for Toronto. We don't need to redo the mistakes of the past where we dump futures for veterans only to toil in playoff purgatory. Sharks also need to win now. I like our prospects but they are not yet proven and could either end up being great players or not so great. The side of me that roots for the Sharks doesn't want to trade Thornton anyway, but if it were to happen it would need to be for players that could make an impact now.

EmergencyExit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:55 AM
Mafoofoo
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
He's a lovable guy. How can you not love this guy?
They could care less about his personality. All they care about is the boatloads of cashflow he's directly put into their pockets. He's a huge cash cow for SJ. That and his mammoths. Everyone ****ing loves wooly mammoths.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:37 AM
N o o d l e s

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
Actually it was 2012 #5 pick, Jake Gardiner, Nazem Kadri, Joe Colborne.

See, who laughing now.
Seems like you missed the point. Sorry, it must have been over your head.

N o o d l e s is offline   Reply With Quote