HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2013, 09:03 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 500
Yeah, looks like their skating through mud. I would give not trying because its the AHL team, but they had no urgency and they were going to lose them. They should be embarrassed.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:05 PM
Halpysback

Guys that didn't play during the lockout won't be up to speed for a while, especially those who aren't elite skaters.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:08 PM
HTFN

Hope this off timing thing keeps going a while. The Caps hardly had any to begin with, they're comfortable there. Easy advantage.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:26 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

It seems though some teams have purely practice rinks, and this negatively effects them because as part of the lockout, those facilities were completely off limits, vs Kettler having recreation play too therefore open to the players being able to rent the rink for practicing, which they did.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:40 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Guys that didn't play during the lockout won't be up to speed for a while, especially those who aren't elite skaters.
Unless they were work out warriors with some good on ice work despite no game speed. These first few weeks there is going to be crappy and hilarious hockey.

01-15-2013, 11:49 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Unless they were work out warriors with some good on ice work despite no game speed. These first few weeks there is going to be crappy and hilarious hockey.
Well, there is going to be a lot of groin injuries. There is already a lot in just a couple days of training camps due to laziness.

I also will laugh when all the Gary Roberts people are nothing special. The training facility is just free weights, you would expect a high class training facility to have Keiser machines...

Old
01-16-2013, 12:19 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Even then. For players like Lucic this is what, an 8-9 month gap? That's a lot different than 4-5 months. Plus in usual seasons everyone starts on level at the same time, whereas now a lot of players are coming in with a head start.

If I were a GM I'd have begged all my players to play in the AHL/KHL/SEL during the lockout. That's gonna be like 10 free points over teams that don't.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:24 AM
sunnydaycrash

Definitely doesnt hurt that the Caps 2 best players played and played well.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:38 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Yes, there is an initial advantage to playing overseas if they don't get hurt there, which is always a risk.

On the other hand, the guys who didn't will be better rested come playoff time...

01-16-2013, 05:21 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

I have to say, I'm still mad we didn't pick Grigorenko...

Though I fear no Forsberg at 11th, the Caps end up picking Wilson, because according to GMGM, Grigorenko wasn't even on their board, which now looks stupid.

Old
01-16-2013, 05:55 AM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post

Though I fear no Forsberg at 11th, the Caps end up picking Wilson, because according to GMGM, Grigorenko wasn't even on their board, which now looks stupid.
i still think forsberg>grigorenko but i guess we'll see. anyways im way more made he took wilson instead of Teuvo Teräväinen

Old
01-16-2013, 09:27 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Might want to go a bit easier on the JD, guy.

And if you need a band, or a bar gig, my kid no longer works for the production company (he's a junior at Towson), but he's still wired into the management guys. In fact, we let them use our tickets sometimes, so they owe me a few favors. PM me, I would help.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:31 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post

Of course, much is blamed on the car accident. But Mickey Redmond says that the Wings soured on Griggy due to a Dimitri Mironov type work ethic.

A sluffin Russian ain't what we need. PLUS: he's too small.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:50 AM
discobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
i still think forsberg>grigorenko but i guess we'll see. anyways im way more made he took wilson instead of Teuvo Teräväinen
Grigorenko vs Forsberg comes down to the risk / reward of C vs W. Forsberg was the more sure prospect, but I would take a risk with a potential #1C over a potential #1W. Especially given that you have Ovechkin signed long term, Kuznetsov likely coming in 2014 as a very solid 1-2 lineup. I'm still holding out for Johanson turning into a solid to elite #2C, but I'd rather hedge that bet by picking Grigorenko than stocking our solid corps of wingers....

Old
01-16-2013, 10:39 AM
HTFN

I don't understand why we're "holding out hope" when if he were playing for damn near anywhere else, people would just now be expecting him to really break out of his shell and become whatever he's going to be in the league. Especially when he looked so good his rookie year, and then slumped his way to nearly 50 points.

It's just confusing the hell out of me that people from his draft class are all still developing, some just now poking through to the NHL level, and we're talking about how we'd better find the future 2C, because the guy with the world class wheels and increasing production is about to be done with his ELC and he's got to be worthless to us after that.

EDIT: Not specifically addressed at discobob, just reminded me. It's like the people who think Johansson can't grow any more are the same ones that think Neuvirth should never play an NHL game again.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:35 AM
Halpysback

I'm fine with the Forsberg pick assuming McPhee is planning to get one of Weiss, Getzlaf or Zajac long term. Forsberg is safer and we do need that type of winger. I think McPhee was also concerned about a country club atmosphere and getting a supposedly distractable guy like Grigorienko with Ovechkin. This is why he purged Semin after all.

That said, Grigorienko will be a much better player if both pan out. If not for mono he goes top 5.

I'd be much more pissed if I was a Pens or Lightning or Leafs fan.

With the Red Wings draft record since the lockout I trust them about as far as I can throw them, especially on first rounders.

The concern that Johansson won't grow to be much more is valid. People put way too much emphasis on very young players having good seasons. It in no way indicates that they will progress exponentially. Sam Gagner is proof of that.

Really it comes down to whether he can put on 20 pounds and learn to play in traffic better while still retaining the same speed. We won't win a cup without a 2C that is at least somewhat physical unless our 3C is Mike Richards or David Backes. What Johansson did as a 20 year old doesn't have much to do with the above.

Last edited by Halpysback: 01-16-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old
01-16-2013, 12:10 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Redden finally on waivers.

Gomez as well. Buyouts next.

Wonder if either will get a job this season. Id expect so.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:19 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Redden finally on waivers.

Gomez as well. Buyouts next.

Wonder if either will get a job this season. Id expect so.
I think Gomez is going to get hired quick and have to choose between a few offers. Redden I'm not sure but he'll probably get something. Maybe the Isles or Oilers?

Old
01-16-2013, 12:21 PM
Halpysback

Gomez could work as a dumpster dive 3C if he only gets one year. Would fit nicely with Chimera as a guy who can effortlessly gain the zone but not have a clue what to do afterward.

Phoenix probably ends up getting him and making him shine though.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:24 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Thought I'd read that the Cats were interested in Redden, among a couple other teams. Figure both will get something quick if they're willing to sign for cheap (and Gomez honestly might be able to get more than "cheap" if he really wants it).

Old
01-16-2013, 12:42 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Everyone saying "thank god" needs to consider causality rather than simple player to player comparisons.

Perhaps we bomb horribly with Barker but then tank exceptionally well for the next 4 years and come out looking as good as both of those teams.
Yeah that ping pong ball not going our way wouldn't have happened in a bubble.

The seasons and drafts over the next 3-4 years likely would have gone a decent amount differently.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:44 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Thought I'd read that the Cats were interested in Redden, among a couple other teams. Figure both will get something quick if they're willing to sign for cheap (and Gomez honestly might be able to get more than "cheap" if he really wants it).
if Gomez takes a small contract why not take a chance on him.

I could see him ending up back in NJ

Old
01-16-2013, 02:02 PM
discobob

Quote:
I'm fine with the Forsberg pick assuming McPhee is planning to get one of Weiss, Getzlaf or Zajac long term. Forsberg is safer and we do need that type of winger. I think McPhee was also concerned about a country club atmosphere and getting a supposedly distractable guy like Grigorienko with Ovechkin. This is why he purged Semin after all.

That said, Grigorienko will be a much better player if both pan out. If not for mono he goes top 5.

I'd be much more pissed if I was a Pens or Lightning or Leafs fan.

With the Red Wings draft record since the lockout I trust them about as far as I can throw them, especially on first rounders.

The concern that Johansson won't grow to be much more is valid. People put way too much emphasis on very young players having good seasons. It in no way indicates that they will progress exponentially. Sam Gagner is proof of that.

Really it comes down to whether he can put on 20 pounds and learn to play in traffic better while still retaining the same speed. We won't win a cup without a 2C that is at least somewhat physical unless our 3C is Mike Richards or David Backes. What Johansson did as a 20 year old doesn't have much to do with the above.
I think your probably right on GMGM's reasoning for avoiding Grigorienko, but the fact of the matter is that OV needs to foster the "anti-country club" mentality for the team regardless of other Russians. Grigorienko is a young guy and would follow OV's lead in that regard - he would not be like Semin who was more of a peer to Ovechkin. I somewhat understand the move, I just would have been more aggressive with that pick...especially knowing that we had another 1st rounder...

Old
01-16-2013, 03:31 PM
Dr John Carlson
Emotional Boys 2001

vCash: 50
Zajac re-signed by NJ, 8 years, $5.7 cap hit. One option down.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:38 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr John Carlson View Post
Zajac re-signed by NJ, 8 years, $5.7 cap hit. One option down.
LMAO when I first saw this news. What was that lockout for exactly?

Closed Thread