HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Capitlols

vCash: 500
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Rangers get Nick Palimieri and Darrell Powe from Minny for Mike Rupp. Rangers will send Palimieri to AHL.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:02 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

At first I thought that was Kyle Palmieri, and was wondering how the hell the Rangers got him for Mike Rupp and when the Ducks traded him to Minnesota.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:54 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
That is garbage. I'm not saying all your best players need to be going every game to win but for the most part a couple need to be going every game to win. Often with long playoff runs you see a couple guys carry the team through one series and a couple others through the next and then the first guys through the next series again.

If you think it is possible to build a winning team where 2 guys with a combined $16.2+ mil cap hit provide very little I don't know what to tell you.

For a combined cap hit of $17.4 mil Crosby and Malkin have put up 25 points in 9 games while Ovechkin and Backstrom have 11 points in the same amount of games. I'm sure this has nothing to do where each team sits in the standings right now...
Wouldn't have anything to do with their linemates and defense playing well and creating tons of space for them would it now? Ovechkin aside their winger group is better than our winger group and they're still trying to improve it. How ****ing sad is that?

Crosby and Malkin have been good but they're far from carrying the pens. How much better would you say they were than, say, Ovechkin and Ribeiro yesterday?

You need a team where if your some of your best players aren't going for a short while it doesn't miss a beat. A team that can go through a 7-10 game slump from Ovechkin and Backstrom and still be .500 or better. That is more than attainable. A good start is having a top 9 half of which isn't pulled together from a scrap heap.

If you expect Ovechkin and Backstrom to keep being 90-100 point players in the regular season with any supporting cast because that's what their salary and pedigree dictates prepare to be disappointed.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:01 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Rangers get Nick Palimieri and Darrell Powe from Minny for Mike Rupp. Rangers will send Palimieri to AHL.
Rupp, remembering him on 24/7 on Christmas day mocking Green and his Vespa.

Then a week later during the WC Erskine knocking the piss out of him until Rupp asked him to stop because he lost his contact.

What's the deal with this kid Palimieri, Devils fans were happy to see him go and looking at the boards Wild fans are noting that he had pissed off Minnesota management.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:03 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
You stated your opinion as a fact. So I opined. Oh I loved that FACT post of so many years ago (only a few may remember it)

Your post premise is like saying a step-dad can only influence his new born, not the 3 and 5yr old from his wife's previous marriage. Those young guns all had extreme success under BB and that became their paradigm for repeating success. This fall is not unexpected.
And your premise says whoever is around when kids are 3 through 5 is the only influence that will ever matter.

I'm sorry but the idea that THE key development time for a player just happened to be the time Boudreau had those 4 guys and was playing the run and gun and that what happened before and what happens afterwards doesn't matter, that whatever they become was only based on those 2 3/4 seasons when their development was 'destroyed' is absurd. IMO of course...

Old
02-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Wouldn't have anything to do with their linemates and defense playing well and creating tons of space for them would it now? Ovechkin aside their winger group is better than our winger group and they're still trying to improve it. How ****ing sad is that?

Crosby and Malkin have been good but they're far from carrying the pens. How much better would you say they were than, say, Ovechkin and Ribeiro yesterday?

You need a team where if your some of your best players aren't going for a short while it doesn't miss a beat. A team that can go through a 7-10 game slump from Ovechkin and Backstrom and still be .500 or better. That is more than attainable. A good start is having a top 9 half of which isn't pulled together from a scrap heap.

If you expect Ovechkin and Backstrom to keep being 90-100 point players in the regular season with any supporting cast because that's what their salary and pedigree dictates prepare to be disappointed.
Do you feel Kunitz and Neal are Kurri and Anderson or something? Because God knows Dupuis and recent waiver wire pickup Boychuk aren't anyone to talk about when discussing scoring wingers.

And every Pens fan would have ditched Martin for a song after last season so that leaves Letang, Orpik, and a bunch of guys who belong on 3rd pairings.

Acting like there is some huge gulf between the talent level of the guys surrounding Crosby and Malkin compared to the guys surrounding Ovechkin and Backstrom is ridiculous IMO, outside of in net of course.

The difference is that Crosby and Malkin are more than getting it done while Ovechkin and Backstrom are not even coming close.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:42 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
And your premise says whoever is around when kids are 3 through 5 is the only influence that will ever matter.

I'm sorry but the idea that THE key development time for a player just happened to be the time Boudreau had those 4 guys and was playing the run and gun and that what happened before and what happens afterwards doesn't matter, that whatever they become was only based on those 2 3/4 seasons when their development was 'destroyed' is absurd. IMO of course...
No I did not. You attempted to poo poo the idea of his influence by stating the previous coaches tenures in all but Backy. Hence the step-dad vs previous coach.

These guys are still just a handful of games out of his influence. It takes time to recover... and some will never. These "kids" to keep the analogy going are 5 and 7 now. They're getting a chance to grow under new development. We'll see how they develop.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:56 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
No I did not. You attempted to poo poo the idea of his influence by stating the previous coaches tenures in all but Backy. Hence the step-dad vs previous coach.

These guys are still just a handful of games out of his influence. It takes time to recover... and some will never. These "kids" to keep the analogy going are 5 and 7 now. They're getting a chance to grow under new development. We'll see how they develop.
You said their development had been destroyed by the run and gun. This team hasn't been a run and gun team since early December 2010.

Sure run and gun Boudreau influenced their development. So did trapping Boudreau. So did trapping Hunter. So did trapping Hanlon.

We aren't too far away from having played the same amount of games not run and gunning as they did run and gunning and that doesn't take into account all the games Ovechkin, Semin, and Green played before Boudreau arrived to begin with.

But those pre Boudreau games didn't matter and the post run and gunning games don't matter because the run and gun destroyed them?

Old
02-04-2013, 05:02 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

BB. Trapping BB was an ignored coach. Trapping DH was a flash in the pan.

Neither of those are going to positively influence developing players. Just continue the spiral. If DH came back.... maybe. But these spoiled orphans need stability.

Old
02-04-2013, 05:16 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
BB. Trapping BB was an ignored coach. Trapping DH was a flash in the pan.

Neither of those are going to positively influence developing players. Just continue the spiral. If DH came back.... maybe. But these spoiled orphans need stability.
So there is some magic 2 3/4 season threshold that just burns something in a player's brain to make it matter? Hanlon's trapping time came close but didn't quite make it so that is out the window and the combined Boudreau/Hunter trapping time only reached about a 1 2/3 seasons so that didn't matter either. And while the combined trapping time reached almost 4 seasons since it wasn't in a row and no one segment reached the magic threshold so only the run and gun mattered. How convenient...

Old
02-04-2013, 05:16 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Apparently of the 60 WC games, 20 have gone to OT, and then 15 to shootouts.

East is 8 OT, 3 shootouts.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:36 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Old
02-04-2013, 11:21 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Redditors in Edmonton, I see.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:45 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

No it's called having success reinforcing how you learn. Like basic stuff.

Quote:
So there is some magic 2 3/4 season threshold that just burns something in a player's brain to make it matter? Hanlon's trapping time came close but didn't quite make it so that is out the window and the combined Boudreau/Hunter trapping time only reached about a 1 2/3 seasons so that didn't matter either. And while the combined trapping time reached almost 4 seasons since it wasn't in a row and no one segment reached the magic threshold so only the run and gun mattered. How convenient...

Old
02-05-2013, 12:18 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Bobby Ryan playing center. Interesting.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:22 AM
Halpysback

I have one of those masks. Best $20 I ever spent

Old
02-05-2013, 05:08 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Ducks fans not happy with Perry and his play.

Would be funny to see Ovechkin traded for Perry.

Old
02-05-2013, 07:51 PM
Millhaus

Wow Rinaldo just about knocked Crombeen cold...

Old
02-05-2013, 09:34 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Wow Rinaldo just about knocked Crombeen cold...
Got a couple extra shots in as well.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:31 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
No it's called having success reinforcing how you learn. Like basic stuff.
So player development only occurs when the team is doing well? So the young Oilers have been just spinning their wheels on the development front because they haven't been getting it done on the ice?

That's garbage. IMO, just in case you thought I think I am stating a fact, you are just trying to find a way to blame Boudreau for all the failures of this team and especially the inability of the star players to do much these days.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:56 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
So player development only occurs when the team is doing well? So the young Oilers have been just spinning their wheels on the development front because they haven't been getting it done on the ice?

That's garbage. IMO, just in case you thought I think I am stating a fact, you are just trying to find a way to blame Boudreau for all the failures of this team and especially the inability of the star players to do much these days.
If you remember how this came up, it was simply you stating the team would be better. All I said was I disagree. Its not like my disagreement is new on the subject. And its not revisionist history to the current situation. Its well documented on these boards when I cared that this team wasn't being developed correctly during the fun times. They weren't accountable, and they were successful. That positive reinforcement we likely sent to doom them. When they "switched" to "accountability" via BB and GMGM, I said there is no way for them to fix it, and it will end up bad. Its not blame for now. Its not simply BB but he was the leader who allow things to occur. Its not vendetta. Its called forsight and a simple exercise in leadership.

People develop due to positive and negative things that happen to them, but when your "teacher" allows poor technique to continue and you have success, that's about 100% certain those traits will be engrained for the long haul. Tearing down them to their foundation and rebuiling them is going to take a long time. We are at step one in their rebuilding process.

Should this team blow them up? Who knows. Going through the trade process is definitely a negative stimulus that can work positively in these stars' rebuilding their own self. And doing that may be what's best for the team. The only way to know that is to be in the room.

Old
02-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
People develop due to positive and negative things that happen to them, but when your "teacher" allows poor technique to continue and you have success, that's about 100% certain those traits will be engrained for the long haul. Tearing down them to their foundation and rebuiling them is going to take a long time.
Sure bad habits can become ingrained but the idea that the run and gun days after the Hanlon trap days and before the Boudreau/Hunter trap days ruined the development of this team and now it needs a long period of tearing down and rebuilding is absurd. Players and teams unlearn bad habits and develop new good habits all the time and many easily within a season.

IMO of course, you have an agenda and that makes it very easy for you to completely ignore everything that happened before and after the salad days. Hanlon, run and gun Boudreau, trap Boudreau, Hunter, and now Oates have all had a part to play in the development of this team and the individual players who make up the team.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:14 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

How do people that have nothing to do with the operation actually have an agenda? What a sad life that must be.

edit: being consistent in your opinions isn't an agenda... its called consistency.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:17 PM
Langway
Intangibles

It wasn't just habits. They could do no wrong and weren't kept on an even keel. It begets arrogance, big heads and a core of ****ing fragile divas. Adversity should be what humbles them to respect the details and prepare like professionals. However, I fear Ovechkin is 100% diva at this point with little hope of return. Of course, it would help if McPhee had a clue how to put teams together.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:19 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
If you remember how this came up, it was simply you stating the team would be better. All I said was I disagree. Its not like my disagreement is new on the subject. And its not revisionist history to the current situation. Its well documented on these boards when I cared that this team wasn't being developed correctly during the fun times. They weren't accountable, and they were successful. That positive reinforcement we likely sent to doom them. When they "switched" to "accountability" via BB and GMGM, I said there is no way for them to fix it, and it will end up bad. Its not blame for now. Its not simply BB but he was the leader who allow things to occur. Its not vendetta. Its called forsight and a simple exercise in leadership.

People develop due to positive and negative things that happen to them, but when your "teacher" allows poor technique to continue and you have success, that's about 100% certain those traits will be engrained for the long haul. Tearing down them to their foundation and rebuiling them is going to take a long time. We are at step one in their rebuilding process.

Should this team blow them up? Who knows. Going through the trade process is definitely a negative stimulus that can work positively in these stars' rebuilding their own self. And doing that may be what's best for the team. The only way to know that is to be in the room.
You're still blaming Bruce for all of this? Come on man....

You make a lot of huge assumptions about accountability, who was held to it and who had a free pass. I mean, unless you're a Caps team member we don't know about...you're guessing about all of this.

And we've now had two coaches since Bruce and we see the same stuff happening. So you tell me, still the era of no accountability and Bruce's fault? I think you need to take a long hard look at the core players on this team and stop blaming a guy who is long gone and showing the same signs of success with another franchise.

Closed Thread