HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2013, 07:07 AM
msrulo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Incorrect. The Caps didn't have the cap room to keep him even if they wanted to.
Why would he be last on cap priority than? Listen to what Bruce said after Cooke Kneed Ovechkin. "It was Matt Cooke. Need we say more? It's not like it's his first rodeo," Boudreau said. "He's done it to everybody and then he goes to the ref and says: 'What did I do?' He knows damn well what he did. There's no doubt in my mind that he's good at it and he knows how to do it. He knows how to pick this stuff. We as a league, we still buy into this [idea] that, 'Oh it was an accidental thing."

Old
02-14-2013, 07:11 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

That wasn't why he left DC, though. They were always only going to keep one of Cooke or Bradley, and Bradley was better in the playoffs. Cooke was pretty tame while he was here.

Also, that's not remotely what an intentional stomp looks like. But it's Cooke, so I don't really care whether people think it was intentional or not.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:29 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

That's just brutal to watch the Karlsson injury. I hope he makes a full recovery. Don't know what Cooke's intention were but anyway.........FU Cooke.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:33 AM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

vCash: 2743
Cooke got a piece of Vinny while he was here, IIRC.

Yeah i know, it was accidental.

I can't remember if Tampa was making a playoff push or not.

Long time caps fans remember Verbeek chopping down Langway. Was that accident? I kind of remember thinking not.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:41 AM
msrulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Cooke got a piece of Vinny while he was here, IIRC.

Yeah i know, it was accidental.

I can't remember if Tampa was making a playoff push or not.

Long time caps fans remember Verbeek chopping down Langway. Was that accident? I kind of remember thinking not.
Similar to Karlsson. The skate blade is as sharp as a knife, any intent to injure like that should not be taken lightly.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:44 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrulo View Post
Why would he be last on cap priority than? Listen to what Bruce said after Cooke Kneed Ovechkin. "It was Matt Cooke. Need we say more? It's not like it's his first rodeo," Boudreau said. "He's done it to everybody and then he goes to the ref and says: 'What did I do?' He knows damn well what he did. There's no doubt in my mind that he's good at it and he knows how to do it. He knows how to pick this stuff. We as a league, we still buy into this [idea] that, 'Oh it was an accidental thing."
Probably because a team loaded with wingers didn't need to tie up what little cap space it had on another winger. Biggest reason Cooke was brought in was to get rid of the Pettinger contract. You haven't been following the GMGM trainwreck long enough if you think ******** on the roster is beyond him.

Bruce said a lot of stuff.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:20 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Just saw the Karlsson injury. Gnarly.

I don't suspect it was intentional...but who knows with Cooke.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:59 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Trying to jar my memory and couldn't find anything on the internet, but during the playoffs one year Rod Langway's leg was lacerated from behind by a skate and he was done for the playoffs and so were the Caps that year. Can't remember if it involved the achilles, anybody can provide any more info. as to the nature of the injury, time off and who the culprit was.

BTW, don't know the severity of Karlson's injury but usually a tear of the achilles results in a full leg caste and 9 to 12 months recovery. This may not just have implications on Ottawa this season, but a good part of next season as well as Karlson's participation in the Olympics in Sochi.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:01 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Trying to jar my memory and couldn't find anything on the internet, but during the playoffs one year Rod Langway's leg was lacerated from behind by a skate and he was done for the playoffs and so were the Caps that year. Can't remember if it involved the achilles, anybody can provide any more info. as to the nature of the injury, time off and who the culprit was.

BTW, don't know the severity of Karlson's injury but usually a tear of the achilles results in a full leg caste and 9 to 12 months recovery. This may not just have implications on Ottawa this season, but a good part of next season as well as Karlson's participation in the Olympics in Sochi.
Verbeek, no? Think Bryan Murray was there for that one too, oddly enough.

Stuff I've read suggests that it's like a 6 month deal most likely in Karlsson's case (3 month cast or something like that), but I mean it's all guessing until they do the surgery.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:10 AM
Capsman

That play by Cooke was intentional as hell. Perhaps he didn't mean to lacerate the achilles, but the skate was held up a good 4 feet before contact at the wall; he meant to do some type of dirty damage. But this is Mario's league, so I expect no repercussions.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:19 AM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

Skate up off the ground Cooke was probably just trying to get a piece with his leg or knee. Maybe like Verbeek on Langway, using their knee to enhance checks. It's somewhat common.

But there nothing to see here folks if there were ill intentions, Mario has this one under control.

I do still find ironic what with all his constant whining about the rough old NHL, that the Pens ice players that working the edge of dirty and clean.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:22 AM
tycoonheart

What the hell was Cooke trying to do with his leg up like that pinned against Karlsson's leg?

Old
02-14-2013, 09:26 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
What the hell was Cooke trying to do with his leg up like that pinned against Karlsson's leg?
Pin Karlsson to the boards, most likely.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:28 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

The irony with the Pens fans are that the same ones that are quickly defending Cooke on the hit against Karlsson last night, were throwing Steckel under the bus and suggesting that it was premeditated and Steckel was the closest thing to Jack the Ripper. We know Cooke's history, Steckel never had a history and still doesn't since the WC.

Still, I don't believe it was intentional however Cooke has already been responsible for ending one players career (Savard).

Old
02-14-2013, 09:31 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
The irony with the Pens fans are that the same ones that are quickly defending Cooke on the hit against Karlsson last night, were throwing Steckel under the bus and suggesting that it was premeditated and Steckel was the closest thing to Jack the Ripper. We know Cooke's history, Steckel never had a history and still doesn't since the WC.

Still, I don't believe it was intentional however Cooke has already been responsible for ending one players career (Savard).
Steckel could probably skate faster though if he had his Achilles tendon cut.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:37 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Steckel could probably skate faster though if he had his Achilles tendon cut.
Well played.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:00 AM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

Today's Villains Trending on Twitter

Pistorius
Dorner
Cooke
videosdebarraquito

Old
02-14-2013, 10:24 AM
BobRouse

Cooke wanted to resign here but we didn't have much cap space or roster space really. Bradley was a gamer so it was the right choice to keep him at the time. In hindsight probably should have kept Cooke.

Cooke DID get a 5 minute penalty in one of his first few games here and got ejected I thought.

Verbeek did the exact same thing to Langway in 88 and that cost us that playoff series. Furthermore Langway was never the same after that but he was older than Karlsson and medical advancements probably won't let the same fate occur to him.

If you are going to penalize players for errant high sticks then why not penalize them for these kinds of things? Maybe they are harder to detect?

Old
02-14-2013, 10:33 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Cooke wanted to resign here but we didn't have much cap space or roster space really. Bradley was a gamer so it was the right choice to keep him at the time. In hindsight probably should have kept Cooke.

Cooke DID get a 5 minute penalty in one of his first few games here and got ejected I thought.

Verbeek did the exact same thing to Langway in 88 and that cost us that playoff series. Furthermore Langway was never the same after that but he was older than Karlsson and medical advancements probably won't let the same fate occur to him.

If you are going to penalize players for errant high sticks then why not penalize them for these kinds of things? Maybe they are harder to detect?
Bob thanks, it's good to have old timers on the board.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:39 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Bob thanks, it's good to have old timers on the board.
No problem. For the record not only was I furious that Verbeek got no discipline but also I still question that offsides rule in game 7. Typical curse of the Caps.

Attempted slew foot gone bad. If Ovechkin gets suspended for 3 games for an attempted hit gone bad not sure how these plays are tolerated.

I would be upset were I a Sens fan. If you are going to get suspended for reckless (not intentional) infractions then Cooke should get suspended even without considering his past.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

As far as I remember, the Cooke-Lecavalier thing was complete BS.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:44 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
As far as I remember, the Cooke-Lecavalier thing was complete BS.
It was. I don't remember if he got a 1 game suspension after that or not.

Either way Cooke got away with alot more once he joined the Penguins up until that last episode when everyone lost their minds.

Whatever...I love Matt Cooke..but only when he played for my team.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:49 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
It was. I don't remember if he got a 1 game suspension after that or not.

Either way Cooke got away with alot more once he joined the Penguins up until that last episode when everyone lost their minds.

Whatever...I love Matt Cooke..but only when he played for my team.
Pending UFA, would GMGM . . .

Old
02-14-2013, 12:05 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Nothing came of the Cooke-Lecavalier thing because everyone outside of Tampa knew it was obviously unintentional.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:23 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Pending UFA, would GMGM . . .
Seriously doubt it. We have far too many bottom 6 players as it is and have them filling in at top 6 roles currently.

Closed Thread