HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 04:21 AM
LetsGoBears

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Hey brah, just leave the finance mumbo jumbo to mom and dad.

For Parise and Suter, they are getting $12mil base salary +w/ $10mil signing bonus each of the first two seasons. Then it's $11mil w/ $5mil for the third season. The signing bonus will be the interesting part.
Well he is kind of right and you typed it out odd. Suter and Parise are being paid a signing bonus of $10 million and $2 million through the first two seasons for a $12 million per year total. Due to how Signing Bonuses are paid, they each will get $22 million within one calender year.

Something tells me the Flyers' offer has to be $12 million SB and $2 million salary for the first two years. Max amount and the large signing bonus so Shea is paid one way or the other this year. That also would allow the Flyers to drop the contract by $7 million any given year. The actual interesting part is Shea giving Nashville a realistic chance of making him a life long Pred.

Old
07-19-2012, 05:01 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBears View Post
Well he is kind of right and you typed it out odd. Suter and Parise are being paid a signing bonus of $10 million and $2 million through the first two seasons for a $12 million per year total. Due to how Signing Bonuses are paid, they each will get $22 million within one calender year.

Something tells me the Flyers' offer has to be $12 million SB and $2 million salary for the first two years. Max amount and the large signing bonus so Shea is paid one way or the other this year. That also would allow the Flyers to drop the contract by $7 million any given year. The actual interesting part is Shea giving Nashville a realistic chance of making him a life long Pred.
Didn't say he was wrong, just pointing out how the deals were structured. The big thing with the bonuses is that they are protected against any CBA rollback.

Old
07-19-2012, 06:32 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Depending on what happens in the CBA, Perry and Getzlaf have to be likely gone from the Ducks.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:44 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Yea, well we got Jake Hiller and John Crabs.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:09 AM
Marshall
The OMalley Sellouts

vCash: 50
I wonder if Weber leaves, does it kill that franchise? The fan base can't be expected to support the club after two high-profile losses like that, can they?

On a side note, this is exactly the kind of move that the Caps can't comprehend, much less execute on. This risk-averse, reactive management style does get irksome, at times.

Ed - for clarification, I think the Preds will match, and in a quick, pleased fashion.

Last edited by Marshall: 07-19-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old
07-19-2012, 08:14 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

I assume Pronger is Poti's permanently on LTIR?

Old
07-19-2012, 08:16 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I wonder if Weber leaves, does it kill that franchise? The fan base can't be expected to support the club after two high-profile losses like that, can they?

On a side note, this is exactly the kind of move that the Caps can't comprehend, much less execute on. This risk-averse, reactive management style does get irksome, at times.
You mean, three high-profile losses.

Suter, Weber, Hillen.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:23 AM
The Flying Finn

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nhl/alex-o...-superstition/

Old
07-19-2012, 08:53 AM
fsnoles98

At least Homer has the balls to try and fill a gap his team needs is a big way, GMGM fills his team's needs by addressing it in a manner which might be the cheapest route.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post

Oh c'mon, Philly had to do this, they saw us signing Wojtek Wolski, they knew they had to be competitive.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:03 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
The big thing with the bonuses is that they are protected against any CBA rollback.
We know the players will still get them in the event of a lockout but whether they're actually not impacted by any potential rollback is unknown. I would guess not given that they would then have a disproportionate impact on restructured cap hits.

It's Scott Stevens all over again. I've got to think the first year in particular is very important. If it's at all feasible to withstand financially then they should match and if Weber does want out in a season they can move him for more immediate assets. Man, this is pretty close to a worst-case off-season scenario for Poile.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:07 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycaps98 View Post
I assume Pronger is Poti's permanently on LTIR?
Pronger was a 35+ contract. Others here know much better than me, so I defer to the cap wonks, but I don't believe Pronger gives the Flyers any cap relief.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:07 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
At least Homer has the balls to try and fill a gap his team needs is a big way, GMGM fills his team's needs by addressing it in a manner which might be the cheapest route.
last year at this time we had repeated posts saying just this about the bryzgalov signing. that didnt get off on the right foot and the flyers collapsed in round two. the kind of collapse that would have brought the executing gm a brutal response.

yet here, because holmgren is a gunslinger its all forgiven.

you guys really think you would be lovin' mcphee had he signed bryzgalov to a huge contract, traded carlson for pronger who is done, and signed paul martin who blew up in his face? have the flyers won as many playoff games as the capitals the last two seasons? i dont think so.

the grass is always greener...eh?

Old
07-19-2012, 09:09 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Pronger was a 35+ contract. Others here know much better than me, so I defer to the cap wonks, but I don't believe Pronger gives the Flyers any cap relief.
Pronger on the LTIR gives them cap relief. Pronger retiring or being waived would not.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:14 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
We know the players will still get them in the event of a lockout but whether they're actually not impacted by any potential rollback is unknown. I would guess not given that they would then have a disproportionate impact on restructured cap hits.

If a signing bonus is due upon signing, the rollback should have no impact on the signing bonus paid out within the next week or bonuses already paid to Parise or Suter. As to how they factor it into the cap going forward, that's different issue.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:16 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

The flyers have one bad acquisition, based on one year of history.

Timo, Hartnell, Briere, and Coburn are all better acquisitions than McPhee has ever made. And they all played huge roles in getting farther than the post-lockout Caps ever have.

Edit: better than anyone he's acquired until Ribeiro.

Last edited by BrooklynCapsFan: 07-19-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old
07-19-2012, 09:17 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Its funny, the idea of offer sheets was taboo and dirty last week, now its used to bash GMGM.

Whats the ****ing point of a new GM if you guys are going to criticize them for not making every move.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:22 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
last year at this time we had repeated posts saying just this about the bryzgalov signing. that didnt get off on the right foot and the flyers collapsed in round two. the kind of collapse that would have brought the executing gm a brutal response.
Dude, last year was a "quick rebuild" for the Flyers. Getting to the second round was kind of their "potential". They got much younger by adding Voracek, Schenn, Simmonds. I don't think anyone thought they were "cup" moves. They added 2 22 year olds and a 21 year old to their roster and got rid of more "proven" players.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:31 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
They still can exceed the cap by the amount of Pronger's contract if he's on LTIR. 35+ has no impact on LTIR. However, they are impacted by his cap hit even if he retires, is loaned to another club, or is sent to Adirondack.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:56 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Per f;n twitter:

1st 4 yrs 1M salary+13M sb; yrs 5-6 4M sal+ 8Msb; yrs 7-10 6M sal; year 11 3M sal; last 3 yrs 1M sal

Old
07-19-2012, 10:05 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
If a signing bonus is due upon signing, the rollback should have no impact on the signing bonus paid out within the next week or bonuses already paid to Parise or Suter. As to how they factor it into the cap going forward, that's different issue.
Right. What's paid is paid.

So potentially up to $27M just to keep Weber until 7/1/13 when they could trade him for more than picks. That's a lot of coin to one player for the sake of the franchise's viability and goes to show how out in front GMs need to be or else a situation is liable to spiral out of control.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Per f;n twitter:

1st 4 yrs 1M salary+13M sb; yrs 5-6 4M sal+ 8Msb; yrs 7-10 6M sal; year 11 3M sal; last 3 yrs 1M sal
So that is $110 mil over 14 years for about a $7.86 mil cap hit right?

The way it is structured the Preds are going to have to swallow hard to match that but I still think they do.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:09 AM
bonzilla

Quote:
Per f;n twitter:

Question: So what (league acceptable) deal can Nashlille counter with that would require the least amount of front loaded dollars and still retain Weber?

Old
07-19-2012, 10:11 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

I think the way it works, they sign or don't sign. I am not sure there is an alternative negotiation.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
You mean, three high-profile losses.

Suter, Weber, Hillen.
Didn't Sloan also sign somewhere else?

Closed Thread