HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

vCash: 500
The league is negotiating against Don Fehr. They have to come out swinging or else they're going to get trampled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molseed View Post
Maybe so but when they signed Bryzgalov all the experts immediately started screaming Cup for them...after all their only missing piece all these years was a solid goalie...which given Bryzgalov's playoff "experience" made no sense.
Bryzgalov was terrific in the playoffs for Anaheim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
That worked out well for him the last time he did it, no?
He even got five first rounders instead of four that time.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:05 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I wonder if Weber leaves, does it kill that franchise? The fan base can't be expected to support the club after two high-profile losses like that, can they?

On a side note, this is exactly the kind of move that the Caps can't comprehend, much less execute on. This risk-averse, reactive management style does get irksome, at times.

Ed - for clarification, I think the Preds will match, and in a quick, pleased fashion.
Someone needs to show McPhee these. Would probably be the first time he's seen a pair...

Old
07-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
Looks like Poile will lose another stud defenseman to an offer sheet, except this time as GM with another organization.
yea Ive been thinking about that exact same thing......pretty odd this happens to the same GM

Old
07-19-2012, 01:35 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

If Poile has learned anything the Preds match...

Old
07-19-2012, 01:40 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
I think in this case, like before, it's not up to Poile. Pollin wouldn't pay up for Stevens, and if his hands are tied and he can't shell out $27 mil within the next year with the Preds then not much he can do.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:44 PM
IafrateOvie34

I wonder if a GM will even consider answering the phone when Holmgren calls about players in the future? I do realize this is a business and he is doing what he has to do make his club better. That is a ton of money.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:50 PM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
I don't see how they don't unless money is a real issue which I'm not sold it is. They can match the term and money but can throw away any NTC/NMC. They can have Weber by the balls when it comes down to it.

The league knows that Weber isn't happy to some degree, so even a handful of bad years won't decrease his value to much. Nashville at that point can trade him for roster players instead of taking four lower first round draft picks. Polie has a better pulse on whether the fans see Weber as the "traitor", or turn on him for not keeping another superstar with the building support over the years.

It's one thing for Homer to piss off players, but it's another thing to start branching out into the GMs. It was reported that Nashville was aware of the Offer Sheet by at least Wednesday morning. It still seems like an uber dick move though. I would love to know what other GMs think of the situation so far.

Last edited by LetsGoBears: 07-19-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old
07-19-2012, 02:35 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I have a hard time saying it's a dick move when it's a CBA tool that's supposed to be used. If anything the front loading is the questionable part because you're talking about two teams who can compete on different levels financially.

I don't see how the Preds don't match unless they literally can't come up with the cash in time, which in the grand scheme of things, seems unlikely for a pro team in the US. They're $13 mil under the cap floor today (if accurate, read in another thread).

Old
07-19-2012, 05:38 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Weber's agent comes across as a dolt. Shut your mouth until Nashville actually walks away.

If Poile hasn't been constrained financially by ownership then I'm not sure how he survives them walking away (if they do). Even if his hands have been tied, this was an avoidable situation. What a mess.

Old
07-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Millhaus

I match it and let Weber know him signing that offer sheet is the reason a couple other important players on that team have to be traded away so they can make ends meet in the near term.

Old
07-19-2012, 06:13 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I match it and let Weber know him signing that offer sheet is the reason a couple other important players on that team have to be traded away so they can make ends meet in the near term.
Bingo. Just seems unintelligent by Weber and his agent. If he wanted to sign a deal with Philadelphia, wait 1 year and do so. Now he may find himself in Nashville for the rest of his career -if he wanted that, he should have just worked out a deal with Poile -without creating all of this ill will and limiting Nashville to terms that might not be great for them. I know Nashville told him they would trade him if they couldn't agree to a long term deal, but again, he'd just have to play somewhere for 1 year before getting to UFA.

From the player's perspective, this makes zero sense.

Old
07-19-2012, 06:27 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Bingo. Just seems unintelligent by Weber and his agent. If he wanted to sign a deal with Philadelphia, wait 1 year and do so. Now he may find himself in Nashville for the rest of his career -if he wanted that, he should have just worked out a deal with Poile -without creating all of this ill will and limiting Nashville to terms that might not be great for them. I know Nashville told him they would trade him if they couldn't agree to a long term deal, but again, he'd just have to play somewhere for 1 year before getting to UFA.

Seriously. Let him know the ridiculous structure of that contract has so hamstrung the team that they don't really see themselves as being able to compete again until year seven and that they hope he enjoys these next six seasons.

Old
07-19-2012, 06:31 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post

It makes some sense if he really doesn't mind playing out his career in NSH, because this is likely his last chance to sign a lifetime contract. If leaving is his #1 priority then yeah, wait a year and walk, but if it were me I'd make do with NSH as plan B if it meant getting that kind of security.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:01 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

It also makes sense for the player because he gets a retirement contract before the new CBA adds term limits

Old
07-19-2012, 07:04 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

That was what I meant, yeah. Granted his agent's comments being so committed to PHI don't make sense to me in that light, but it may just be trying to put pressure on Poile in hopes that he'd defer to the players' wishes. Having their cake and eating it too, I suppose.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:10 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
So that is $110 mil over 14 years for about a $7.86 mil cap hit right?

The way it is structured the Preds are going to have to swallow hard to match that but I still think they do.
Based on Mickey Redmond's comments I recall him making on the Pred's financial picture, the odds are that they'll pass.

It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out.

My take: Bobby Orr, he ain't. That's much more than he's worth.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:18 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Yes. If I'm Poille, I take the 4 first round picks.
As CS Stanton used to say:

"DING DING DING DING DING.... we have a winner here!"

IMHO... that would be the prudent wager.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:22 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Radulov's a pretty high-profile loss for Nashville.

If Weber leaves, their goose is cooked as a franchise. I'd think the potential loss in ticket, concession, and merchandise sales if they lost Weber would be more than the outlay of his signing bonus.
Nah,

Rads has played, what, 20 or so games for them these last few years? (and that's purely from memory).

He's a defenceive liability as well.

A loss, yes. Nowhere near on the level of their 2 D men, or frankly, even #22.

#22 would have been a good Capital.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:26 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molseed View Post
Maybe so but when they signed Bryzgalov all the experts immediately started screaming Cup for them...after all their only missing piece all these years was a solid goalie...which given Bryzgalov's playoff "experience" made no sense.

Fact is, if the Penguins and Fleury weren't catastrophically bad in that series, the Flyers are easily out in Round One. Their defense and goaltending stunk to high heaven. But heck at least they're trying here or there. We have...Crabb and Wolski.

I got my third Caps email in the last eight days asking if I want a partial ticket plan. They seem a bit nervous on the sales front.
Yeah... but Bryz was pretty solid for them Yotes. Why can't the Caps get a goalie like Bryz?

Oh yeah... we COULD have had him.... for peanuts.

McPhee passed on him. Irbe too.

Reality time: if we'd have had a back-up of either to help take the load off of Kolzig, we'd certainly have done much better, and who knows?

2 missed opportunities.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:31 PM
BTCG

Credit where credit is due: good last few pages of posts guys.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Halpysback

Bryzgalov is as much a horrible goaltender as Ovechkin is a 65 point winger.

Old
07-20-2012, 02:04 PM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
I have a hard time saying it's a dick move when it's a CBA tool that's supposed to be used. If anything the front loading is the questionable part because you're talking about two teams who can compete on different levels financially.

I don't see how the Preds don't match unless they literally can't come up with the cash in time, which in the grand scheme of things, seems unlikely for a pro team in the US. They're $13 mil under the cap floor today (if accurate, read in another thread).
I don't blame him for using the tools, but the manner in which he did. We're working from limited information but between the salary structure and the timeline seems like a dick move. Very well could have been Polie being an ass through negotiation with Philly.

Just curious how the strong arm nature of the situation rubs other GMs.

Old
07-20-2012, 03:35 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
Yeah... but Bryz was pretty solid for them Yotes. Why can't the Caps get a goalie like Bryz?.
i watched bryz in the playoffs v detroit in both series. he gave up theodore like soft first goals early in first periods and just killed his team. he left and his team pushed the west hard. his playoff play in philly was erratic as well.

he was solid for the yotes in the regular season. much like the much hated theodore. as we speak many to most flyers fans are somewhere between dont trust him and hate him as much as any flyer's goalie since hextall. much like the much hated theodore.

you can make a case that mcphee did get the caps a bryz like goalie. it was jose theodore.

Old
07-20-2012, 04:30 PM
sycamore

Speaking of Philly if they get Weber I think we should try to defect to the Western Conference.

Old
07-22-2012, 06:33 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Gagner signs a 1 year extension for $3.2.

Good comp for Johansson next year. I wish it had come in a little lower.

Closed Thread