HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

First Round Mock 6/21 FINAL ADDITION

Old
06-21-2012, 12:58 AM
IslandersFan17

vCash: 500
First Round Mock 6/21 FINAL ADDITION

All I want to say to start is the status quo never goes according to plan during drafts of ANY SPORT. Thus, like years in the past I am willing to go on a limb and be more creative and more open to teams actually having players ranked differently than the MEDIA. Guys like Gudbranson, Skinner, Johansen, Scheifele, etc.. all went higher and players like Fowler, Couturier, etc all ended up dropping in their classes... Again this is why I keep an open mind.

1) Oilers- Nail Yakupov; The Oilers organization needs to make this pick plain and simple. Although Murray would be the better fit considering the fire power the Oilers have amassed over the past couple of drafts. However, Nail does have the most upside of any player in this class. Thus creating what would be one of the most dynamic, young and up-and-coming offenses in the league. Furthermore, Nail is not scrutinized for the "Russian factor" like fellow COUNTRYMEN Grigs thus making this all but a lock.

2) Blue Jackets- Mathew Dumba; SURPRISE! Do i think this is the sure fired pick here? Not so much, but I would not rule this out seeing as how high of a ceiling Dumba could potentially have. Dumba is the pure definition of RAW TALENT. If Dumba was a few inches taller the kid would most likely be one of the more dynamic defenders to come into the draft in years. Columbus has lacked a cornerstone defender since they entered the league in 2000 and although Murray is the better prospect his "ceiling" is not as high as Dumba's. Dumba is a prototypical boom or bust prospect which is why I am not sold on this being the pick but if Dumba reaches his potential the Blue Jackets will have them selves one heck of a player.

3) Canadians- Alex Galchenyuk; Despite the injury this past season it is hard to argue that Alex is one of the more tantalizing talents in this class. Likened to Hossa my most the kid will without a doubt be a Canadian if still there. I mean, I feel like the Habs have been touting Galchenyuk the way the Lightning were Stamkos. You would think the Habs are all but sure they have the former first overall pick in the OHL draft locked up. If Galchenyuk could have played last year there are some who feel the young man would have given Nail a big time run for his money. Those same evaluators feel Galchenyuk has a more complete game to go along with the size that Nail lacks.

4) ISLANDERS- RYAN MURRAY; A dream come true for Islanders fans. The second slam dunk pick since Tavares would finally give the Islanders the blue line presence they have sorely lacked and have not been able to obtain via the FA market. Murray is the best player in this class and I will argue that non stop. The kid is very similar in style to the Niedermayer's and Rafalski's of the world. Might not be overly physical and might not make the highlight reels night in and night out but will be a machine and eat up huge chunks of minutes against teams top lines for the better part of a decade. Has Tavares not been on the team Murray would be Captain material.

5) Leafs- Filip Forsberg; Burke IMO would like to possibly bait a team like the Bolts or Caps to take this pick with Grigorenko still being on the board and obtain their two picks in the process. Grigs is the BPA here but is not a Burke type of prospect. I made the mistake of not putting Forsberg here and I am in the process of fixing the draft now. I knew I was missing something and that would be one of the highest rated prospects in the class.

6) Ducks- Jacob Trouba; I know some Ducks fans that will love this pick and some that will call me a bafoon for this pick. Trouba brings some of the most complete defensive responsible presence of any of the top tier defense prospects. The kid rises to the occasion and has underrated offensive ability. The Ducks were more than pleased when American born Fowler slipped to them and they will more than pleased that the potential best defender in the class falls into their laps.

7) Wild- Mikhail Grigorenko; Grigorenko is easily the forward with the potential to be absolutely dominating force in this class. The "work ethic" issue along with his nationality will cause the kid to slip but his talent will make some team (in this case the Wild) a huge beneficiary of other teams fears. Between Granlund and Phillips the Wild are looking very solid down the middle of the ice and the addition of Grigs would make for a formidable group of pivots.

8) Hurricanes- Teuvo Terivainen

9) Jets- Griffin Reinart; The situation going on with Kane could potentially have the Jets leaning towards taking a forward especially when you consider their current blue line situation is very stout. Yet, the Jets lack any real stud defender in their prospect pool (Postma, Negrin and Redmon) and Reinhart would instantly become their best defensive prospect. A player who allows his play on the ice to do the talking and excels in a lot of areas that you would not totally expect for a player of his stature. Some have said Reinhart's ceiling could be a Shea Weber clone. Reinhart is very very highly regarded by teams in the earlier parts of this draft could very well go as early as #4 to the Islanders so the Hurricanes are getting great value.

10) Lightning- Hampus Lindholm; Now many people are familiar with the Sweed but Lindholm is a very gifted all around defender. The Lightning are going to enjoy the combination of Hedman and Lindholm for years.

11) Caps- Radek Faksa; Hunters brief stint as coach of the Caps showed how important defense is and how how the Caps forwards needed to buy into that philosophy to be successful. Problem was their best defensive forward was not much of an offensive contributor. While Faksa is not the most potent offensive player in this draft that does not mean the kid can not get it done offensively.

12) Sabres- Zemgus Girgensons; Blast away Sabres fans but the fact of the matter is you need some talent outside of Joel Armia in your prospect pool offensively. I would consider the Sabres to be one of the deepest defensive talents with their prospects so they can afford to wait until their second pick in the first round if they would like to continue to build up their defense. Thus, Girgensons whom is the BPA has outstanding leadership qualities and has committed to play NCAA hocket at the U of Vermont. Thus, the young man's English is only going to get better.

I am stoping here because I have a strong feeling a lot of folks who read this will think I am insane and would probably not care to read past this part anyway so lol...

I did take a decent chunk of time doing this so I am more than open to every and anyones opinions.

Last edited by IslandersFan17: 06-21-2012 at 01:16 AM.
IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:05 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

vCash: 157
Awww, stopped one early.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:06 AM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Forsberg, Filip.

Bernier the Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:09 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
Forsberg, Filip.
Shhh he's clearly gonna be a Star.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:12 AM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Hopefully Grigorenko falls to their 2nd so they can play together!

Bernier the Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:13 AM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
Forsberg, Filip.
I am embarrassed to forget forsberg like that. This is what happens when you do your mock this last at night.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:18 AM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Well if I were to keep going I would have the Starts taking Subban of course lol kidding kidding. They would benefit from Rielly falling because I fore one like Lindholm to the Lightning and think the Swedish connection would be a nice pairing for them down the road.

Old
06-21-2012, 07:41 AM
Habsrule

Love the mock. I like the mock drafts that go off the board. I give you full credit for thinking outside the box here.

Habsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 08:06 AM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
All I want to say to start is the status quo never goes according to plan during drafts of ANY SPORT. Thus, like years in the past I am willing to go on a limb and be more creative and more open to teams actually having players ranked differently than the MEDIA. Guys like Gudbranson, Skinner, Johansen, Scheifele, etc.. all went higher and players like Fowler, Couturier, etc all ended up dropping in their classes... Again this is why I keep an open mind.

1) Oilers- Nail Yakupov; The Oilers organization needs to make this pick plain and simple. Although Murray would be the better fit considering the fire power the Oilers have amassed over the past couple of drafts. However, Nail does have the most upside of any player in this class. Thus creating what would be one of the most dynamic, young and up-and-coming offenses in the league. Furthermore, Nail is not scrutinized for the "Russian factor" like fellow COUNTRYMEN Grigs thus making this all but a lock.

2) Blue Jackets- Mathew Dumba; SURPRISE! Do i think this is the sure fired pick here? Not so much, but I would not rule this out seeing as how high of a ceiling Dumba could potentially have. Dumba is the pure definition of RAW TALENT. If Dumba was a few inches taller the kid would most likely be one of the more dynamic defenders to come into the draft in years. Columbus has lacked a cornerstone defender since they entered the league in 2000 and although Murray is the better prospect his "ceiling" is not as high as Dumba's. Dumba is a prototypical boom or bust prospect which is why I am not sold on this being the pick but if Dumba reaches his potential the Blue Jackets will have them selves one heck of a player.

3) Canadians- Alex Galchenyuk; Despite the injury this past season it is hard to argue that Alex is one of the more tantalizing talents in this class. Likened to Hossa my most the kid will without a doubt be a Canadian if still there. I mean, I feel like the Habs have been touting Galchenyuk the way the Lightning were Stamkos. You would think the Habs are all but sure they have the former first overall pick in the OHL draft locked up. If Galchenyuk could have played last year there are some who feel the young man would have given Nail a big time run for his money. Those same evaluators feel Galchenyuk has a more complete game to go along with the size that Nail lacks.

4) ISLANDERS- RYAN MURRAY; A dream come true for Islanders fans. The second slam dunk pick since Tavares would finally give the Islanders the blue line presence they have sorely lacked and have not been able to obtain via the FA market. Murray is the best player in this class and I will argue that non stop. The kid is very similar in style to the Niedermayer's and Rafalski's of the world. Might not be overly physical and might not make the highlight reels night in and night out but will be a machine and eat up huge chunks of minutes against teams top lines for the better part of a decade. Has Tavares not been on the team Murray would be Captain material.

5) Leafs- Filip Forsberg; Burke IMO would like to possibly bait a team like the Bolts or Caps to take this pick with Grigorenko still being on the board and obtain their two picks in the process. Grigs is the BPA here but is not a Burke type of prospect. I made the mistake of not putting Forsberg here and I am in the process of fixing the draft now. I knew I was missing something and that would be one of the highest rated prospects in the class.

6) Ducks- Jacob Trouba; I know some Ducks fans that will love this pick and some that will call me a bafoon for this pick. Trouba brings some of the most complete defensive responsible presence of any of the top tier defense prospects. The kid rises to the occasion and has underrated offensive ability. The Ducks were more than pleased when American born Fowler slipped to them and they will more than pleased that the potential best defender in the class falls into their laps.

7) Wild- Mikhail Grigorenko; Grigorenko is easily the forward with the potential to be absolutely dominating force in this class. The "work ethic" issue along with his nationality will cause the kid to slip but his talent will make some team (in this case the Wild) a huge beneficiary of other teams fears. Between Granlund and Phillips the Wild are looking very solid down the middle of the ice and the addition of Grigs would make for a formidable group of pivots.

8) Hurricanes- Teuvo Terivainen

9) Jets- Griffin Reinart; The situation going on with Kane could potentially have the Jets leaning towards taking a forward especially when you consider their current blue line situation is very stout. Yet, the Jets lack any real stud defender in their prospect pool (Postma, Negrin and Redmon) and Reinhart would instantly become their best defensive prospect. A player who allows his play on the ice to do the talking and excels in a lot of areas that you would not totally expect for a player of his stature. Some have said Reinhart's ceiling could be a Shea Weber clone. Reinhart is very very highly regarded by teams in the earlier parts of this draft could very well go as early as #4 to the Islanders so the Hurricanes are getting great value.

10) Lightning- Hampus Lindholm; Now many people are familiar with the Sweed but Lindholm is a very gifted all around defender. The Lightning are going to enjoy the combination of Hedman and Lindholm for years.

11) Caps- Radek Faksa; Hunters brief stint as coach of the Caps showed how important defense is and how how the Caps forwards needed to buy into that philosophy to be successful. Problem was their best defensive forward was not much of an offensive contributor. While Faksa is not the most potent offensive player in this draft that does not mean the kid can not get it done offensively.

12) Sabres- Zemgus Girgensons; Blast away Sabres fans but the fact of the matter is you need some talent outside of Joel Armia in your prospect pool offensively. I would consider the Sabres to be one of the deepest defensive talents with their prospects so they can afford to wait until their second pick in the first round if they would like to continue to build up their defense. Thus, Girgensons whom is the BPA has outstanding leadership qualities and has committed to play NCAA hocket at the U of Vermont. Thus, the young man's English is only going to get better.

I am stoping here because I have a strong feeling a lot of folks who read this will think I am insane and would probably not care to read past this part anyway so lol...

I did take a decent chunk of time doing this so I am more than open to every and anyones opinions.

That's the same 11 and 12 I have.

SuperNintendoChalmrs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 08:18 AM
Menwithouthat tricks

Dumba at #2 makes absolutely no sense for Columbus. They've had a history of unfortunate top draft picks, they're going to pick a boom or bust defenseman when solid high-end building blocks like Forsberg, Murray or Galchenyuk are available? And Columbus is solid with defense (Johnson, Wiznewski, Tyutin) and more likely to build up on offense, having lost Voracek, then his replacement Carter, and probably Nash.

Menwithouthat tricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:21 AM
HoseEmDown

Why would Tampa trade up to 5 for Grigs in the first place? We would take Reilly over Lindholm 99% of the time, Lindholm could easily fall to 19, Reilly will not.

HoseEmDown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:24 AM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menwithouthat tricks View Post
Dumba at #2 makes absolutely no sense for Columbus. They've had a history of unfortunate top draft picks, they're going to pick a boom or bust defenseman when solid high-end building blocks like Forsberg, Murray or Galchenyuk are available? And Columbus is solid with defense (Johnson, Wiznewski, Tyutin) and more likely to build up on offense, having lost Voracek, then his replacement Carter, and probably Nash.
Honestly, what makes Forsberg or anyone else you mentioned more of a sure fired pick? Of course on the front the picks seem more "safe" than others but every pick is prone to being a bust as well as turning into something special.

Dumba obviously has that more boom or bust factor but in that same regard the boom factor could be higher than a lot of other players in this class.

Furthermore, Johnson, Wiz and Tyutin are quality defenders but by no means are they stalwarts nor are they considered younger by any stretch.

Dumba would potentially give them a franchise defender they have never had as I mentioned. Of course they could go Forsberg and most likely will or Galchenyuk but like I said I am thinking outside of the box because a lot of strange things happen in a draft.