HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Things Pierre McGuire Says: All Encompassing Thread.

Old
06-21-2012, 09:01 AM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Reilly
Schenn
Gardiner
Blacker
Percy
Phaneuf

THE CROP......or "the crap" if they all don't pan out as we think lol.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 09:05 AM
caribouPINE

Listened to Pierre on the Team1200 this morning.

The host basically said, (and I am paraphrashing) but 'so we're down to 1 team as a landing spot for Luongo and that is Toronto?'... to which Pierre replied that he does think it will probably be Toronto but he thinks there is more than 1 team interested. He said that if we want any chance at the playoffs than we have to upgrade Reimer/Scrivens (for next year). He did say he thinks those 2 may be good goalies in the NHL in the future.

He also mentioned the bad blood between Leafs-Canucks management but that it shouldn't stop a deal from happening.

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 09:15 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
Morgan Reilly? No way. No chance, not with that #5 pick. Reilly sounds exactly like Gardiner, Schultz and Blacker are minus the ACL tear. His defensive game is not exactly stellar, and he's not what we need right now.

I'd be more comfortable with Reinhart if we went the D route, but even he has question marks over compete level and consistency.

We really need to be adding a forward at the draft. That top-5 pick should be bringing a top-6 forward to our team. Only exception is if Murray is available at #5 still - you can't pass on him in that case.
good post. some good points.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 09:24 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

poulin said theyre drafting the best player available this morning

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:03 AM
BudForLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busher Jackson View Post
Nope, he testified for the league against Luongo type contracts calling them illegal cap circumvention.

So Burke would have to take on a contract he considers illegal and would never sign going against everything he believes.

He also does not believe in offer sheets and they are legal.

Can everyone please stop with this nonsense?

Burke DOES NOT have a problem with offer sheets. He didn't have a problem with the fact that they gave Dustin Penner an offer sheet. The problem was that they didn't give Burke a "heads up" and then they offered Penner a ridiculous amount of money which not only screwed Burke up, but also set an extremely high bar in the NHL for players of Penner's caliber.

Burke was prepared to offer sheet Kessel but we needed our 2nd round pick back from Chicago to go through with it. Burke reacquired that pick by giving Chicago a 2nd round pick and a third round pick. Chirelli was quite aware of what was happening. They were able to negotiate a deal, however, Burke was prepared to pull the trigger if a deal wasn't made.

BudForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:41 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudForLife View Post

Can everyone please stop with this nonsense?

Burke DOES NOT have a problem with offer sheets. He didn't have a problem with the fact that they gave Dustin Penner an offer sheet. The problem was that they didn't give Burke a "heads up" and then they offered Penner a ridiculous amount of money which not only screwed Burke up, but also set an extremely high bar in the NHL for players of Penner's caliber.

Burke was prepared to offer sheet Kessel but we needed our 2nd round pick back from Chicago to go through with it. Burke reacquired that pick by giving Chicago a 2nd round pick and a third round pick. Chirelli was quite aware of what was happening. They were able to negotiate a deal, however, Burke was prepared to pull the trigger if a deal wasn't made.

Actually, he said on TV Ontario last week that he doesn't like them because if you offer sheet someone it can come back and bite you on the arse when that team, or another team, does the same thing to you down the road.

Last edited by colchar: 06-21-2012 at 02:48 PM.
colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:20 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
He also mentioned the bad blood between Leafs-Canucks management but that it shouldn't stop a deal from happening.
Isn't that what prevented a Cody Hodgson trade to Toronto? I remember after his trade to Buffalo was announced Bob McKenzie said one Eastern Conference GM was told he was not available and it turned out he was talking about Burke.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:26 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
Morgan Reilly? No way. No chance, not with that #5 pick. Reilly sounds exactly like Gardiner, Schultz and Blacker are minus the ACL tear. His defensive game is not exactly stellar, and he's not what we need right now.

I'd be more comfortable with Reinhart if we went the D route, but even he has question marks over compete level and consistency.

We really need to be adding a forward at the draft. That top-5 pick should be bringing a top-6 forward to our team. Only exception is if Murray is available at #5 still - you can't pass on him in that case.
Don't sell him short, he is a very reliable boy in the back end, more so IMO than dumba.

06-21-2012, 01:46 PM
Cappayne

If Luongo were to end up here, would the Toronto fans chant "Luuuuuuu" when he makes a save, just like the fans in Vancouver did?

Cappayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
Listened to Pierre on the Team1200 this morning.

The host basically said, (and I am paraphrashing) but 'so we're down to 1 team as a landing spot for Luongo and that is Toronto?'... to which Pierre replied that he does think it will probably be Toronto but he thinks there is more than 1 team interested. He said that if we want any chance at the playoffs than we have to upgrade Reimer/Scrivens (for next year). He did say he thinks those 2 may be good goalies in the NHL in the future.

Bad blood eh? I am curious on what happened much be some teams underselling the other?

Also I will go crazy if people do the luuu thing that bugs me like hell.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:54 PM
MapleLeafs9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Isn't that what prevented a Cody Hodgson trade to Toronto? I remember after his trade to Buffalo was announced Bob McKenzie said one Eastern Conference GM was told he was not available and it turned out he was talking about Burke.
Ok so why is there bad blood between Toronto and Vancouver management exactly?

MapleLeafs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafs9 View Post
Ok so why is there bad blood between Toronto and Vancouver management exactly?
Has something to do with Burke's history there.

Two fairly recent examples of bitterness are when the Leafs leaked confidential Canucks trade info on "Behind the Draft" a few years back and also the Ron Wilson/Sedins tampering drama.

Leaf Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:34 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army View Post
Has something to do with Burke's history there.

Two fairly recent examples of bitterness are when the Leafs leaked confidential Canucks trade info on "Behind the Draft" a few years back and also the Ron Wilson/Sedins tampering drama.
The funny thing is Burke didn't leak anything confidential on that "Behind the Draft" special. It usually airs on Leafs TV in September or October and we all know the Canucks never traded for the 2nd overall pick in 2009. So I never understood what Mike Gillis problem was because the events of that Draft happened a couple of months before. So I laughed when he complained to the NHL about that.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
The funny thing is Burke didn't leak anything confidential on that "Behind the Draft" special. It usually airs on Leafs TV in September or October and we all know the Canucks never traded for the 2nd overall pick in 2009. So I never understood what Mike Gillis problem was because the events of that Draft happened a couple of months before. So I laughed when he complained to the NHL about that.
He leaked what they were "offering" for the pick.

Gillis' reaction leads me to believe it was probably true.

Whether it ended up happening or not, players don't like to hear that they were offered in a trade.

Leaf Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:57 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army View Post
He leaked what they were "offering" for the pick.

Gillis' reaction leads me to believe it was probably true.

Whether it ended up happening or not, players don't like to hear that they were offered in a trade.
I still don't know why the NHL allowed Gillis to file that complaint based on timeline that this information came out a few months later and no trade between the Canucks/Lightning took place. In the end what did he think the NHL was going to do?

Old
06-23-2012, 10:33 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

McGuire called it and I 2nd the motion.

People should stop getting irritated with NHL analyst on TSN and SPORTSNET. Just because you're not given a voice doesn't mean that these people are "dead wrong" every time.

Give it up people. We nailed it.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:39 AM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
Actually, he said on TV Ontario last week that he doesn't like them because if you offer sheet someone it can come back and bite you on the arse when that team, or another team, does the same thing to you down the road.
Right.

With GM's a working relationship is vital. You can't go screw everyone or you wont be able to find work ever again. An offer sheet is a tool but it isn;t the first tool you reach for.

That's all he has been trying to say.

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote