HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jamie Oleksiak

Old
06-20-2012, 08:11 PM
tjcurrie

vCash: 500
Jamie Oleksiak

I worded this all wrong originally, got flamed, changed it. The discussion with a friend over trading for Evander Kane and Jamie Oleksiak came up. We got to arguing over Oleksiak's value - that of a big question mark who hasn't done a thing, or a very good prospect with number 2 potential? The two different points of view would hold different market values towards any trade for a guy who's more proven. Title should have been, "Value Of - Jamie Oleksiak"

What say you?

Last edited by tjcurrie: 06-20-2012 at 10:39 PM.
tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:14 PM
Havok89

Kane has more value and it's not even close.

Havok89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:14 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Winnipeg laughs and hangs up.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:15 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Is this a joke? Stars win.

I don't like using it, but this is totally AINEC worthy. Oleksiak may become the next Myers (and that is far from likely), but you don't trade on maybe's and hopefully's.

Captain Smurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

This isn't a video game. People actually have jobs at stake. With that said Chevy keeps his job by hanging up.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:19 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 300
"I'd trade Kane for Oleksiak" - **** no one says.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:22 PM
tjcurrie

Not a joke, more just a discussion with a friend. Wanted outside opinions.

My opinion is that Oleksiak is the Stars' top D prospect, and maybe their top prospect period. They're pretty high on him. To me it's one of those deals that neither team does. I could see Dallas pulling the trigger ahead of Winnipeg for sure, but I just don't know if they would at the end of the day. Defensemen are more valuable and the Stars' future on D is Oleksiak. As of now anyways. If they had 2 Oleksiak types then they're more likely to take the deal.

I know Winnipeg doesnt do the deal, but I'm really questioning whether Dallas would or not.

Old
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 2252
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
"I'd trade Kane for Oleksiak" - **** no one says.
This was great.

HF needs a meme generator.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Johnny Bang Bang

Seriously?

Johnny Bang Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Lion

inb4lock

Dude what are you smoking?

Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

Oleksiak aaaaaannnnnd

?

Devilsfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:27 PM
Yog S'loth

Evander Kane for WHO?!? Just trolling, I assume?

Yog S'loth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:28 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post

My opinion is that Oleksiak is the Stars' top D prospect, and maybe their top prospect period. They're pretty high on him. To me it's one of those deals that neither team does. I could see Dallas pulling the trigger ahead of Winnipeg for sure, but I just don't know if they would at the end of the day. Defensemen are more valuable and the Stars' future on D is Oleksiak. As of now anyways. If they had 2 Oleksiak types then they're more likely to take the deal.
Oleksiak is also incredibly raw. He could top at out at Chara level, but the far more realistic goal should be Couburn. And he may not be that good. He had a pretty blah season this year. If you wouldn't trade him for Kane, your an idiot.

Old
06-20-2012, 08:28 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:

I know Winnipeg doesnt do the deal, but I'm really questioning whether Dallas would or not.
That in and of itself means nothing. Oleksiak's had a good but far from exceptional junior career, and Kane is just a year older but has already proven himself a 30 goal scorer in the NHL at age 20.

Dallas would **** themselves if that offer came up. Of course, it never would.

Old
06-20-2012, 08:29 PM
Rhaego

Duncan Siemens for Evander Kane who wins?

if you can't tell this is sarcasm -_-

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:32 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Oleksiak is also incredibly raw. He could top at out at Chara level, but the far more realistic goal should be Couburn. And he may not be that good. He had a pretty blah season this year. If you wouldn't trade him for Kane, your an idiot.
Looks like an easy win for Dallas now, but in 5 years it may not be so easy to declare a winner. That's what I'm questioning. If Oleksiak is a top pairing Dman and lives up the the Stars' hopes then they could easily be thankful they didn't make that trade. That's all he has to do and suddenly this doesn't look so ridiculous.

Old
06-20-2012, 08:35 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Looks like an easy win for Dallas now, but in 5 years it may not be so easy to declare a winner. That's what I'm questioning. If Oleksiak is a top pairing Dman and lives up the the Stars' hopes then they could easily be thankful they didn't make that trade. That's all he has to do and suddenly this doesn't look so ridiculous.
Because its so easy to become a stud D-man. The chances that Oleksiak will end up being a more valuable player are so remote that its a chance that anybody would (and should make).

Old
06-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
You can say that about many good defense prospects who have yet to play an NHL game. Virtually all of them would get laughed out of any one-for-one proposal for Kane too.

Old
06-20-2012, 08:40 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
This gets the classic

lolwut.jpeg and notsureifserious.jpeg

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:43 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Because its so easy to become a stud D-man. The chances that Oleksiak will end up being a more valuable player are so remote that its a chance that anybody would (and should make).
Not saying it's easy, but I'm basing it on his potential and Dallas's hopes for him. He doesn't even necessarily have to be a stud to be on par with a 35 goal scorer. If he's Richard Matvichuk, then I do it. But if he's more along the lines of a Tyler Myers + some of Matvichuk qualities then it's not so ridiculous to put the two on the same level.

Like what if this was a Myers for Kane thread? Is it as crazy? Oleksiak has no chance of being as good as Myers or even better?

Last edited by tjcurrie: 06-20-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old
06-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
Not saying it's easy, but I'm basing it on his potential and Dallas's hopes for him. He doesn't even necessarily have to be a stud to be on par with a 35 goal scorer. If he's Richard Matvichuk, then I do it. But if he's more along the lines of a Tyler Myers + some of Matvichuk qualities then it's not so ridiculous to put the two on the same level.
He hasn't shown anything outstanding to date, other than being big.

Old
06-20-2012, 08:52 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
He hasn't shown anything outstanding to date, other than being big.
So is it out of the question to project him as a good number two? Not an absolute stud or a Norris candidate, but a solid number two who plays heavy minutes against other teams' top lines?

I swear I'm not an idiot (I know I maybe fooled you guys) but I'm projecting Oleksiak as that solid #2. A guy that can can play half the game, put up 40 points, and handle the hard minutes as well and play in any situation. That's huge for any team.

If that's unrealistic then I guess label me unrealistic, but based on what I think he has a good shot of being, I'm not sure it's such a win for Dallas in a few years. As I said though, I dont do it if I'm Winnipeg.

Last edited by tjcurrie: 06-20-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old
06-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure

You're grounded, tj.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:58 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
So is it out of the question to project him as a good number two? Not an absolute stud or a Norris candidate, but a solid number two who plays heavy minutes against other teams' top lines?

I swear I'm not an idiot (I know I maybe fooled you guys) but I'm projecting Oleksiak as that solid #2. He can play half the game, put up 40+ points, and handle the hard minutes as well.

If that's unrealistic then I guess label me unrealistic, but based on what I think he has a good shot of being, I'm not sure it's such a win for Dallas in a few years. As I said though, I dont do it if I'm Winnipeg.
It's very unrealistic. Oleksiak is not even a top 30 prospect in the league. I'd argue maybe top 50. Kane is a 21 year old 30 goal power forward. It would take more, much, much more, like Oleksiak, 2012 first and a roster player to get him.

Pilgore88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:59 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:

I swear I'm not an idiot (I know I maybe fooled you guys) but I'm projecting Oleksiak as that solid #2. He can play half the game, put up 40+ points, and handle the hard minutes as well.

No. But it's a best-case scenario, and really no different than a prospect like Simon Despres...who's not only further along than Oleksiak, but played superbly in his NHL stints.

And Despres wouldn't be anywhere near Kane's value either.