HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2012 NHL Draft Thread IV (June 22-23)

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2012, 08:26 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
I will go on record saying that I think that the Jackets want Murray, and if he isn't available, then they try to trade down.
If he isn't available at 2, I'll be doing cartwheels, because Yak will be there....

And I swear, if that happens and they pass on him or trade the pick, I might just go crazy/

Old
06-21-2012, 08:27 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
I will go on record saying that I think that the Jackets want Murray, and if he isn't available, then they try to trade down.
Assuming Murray isn't available, if you are correct, will give TW a point to which he can say "see, told ya"

Old
06-21-2012, 08:27 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizoncol View Post
I really hope the Jackets get Alex. Gally's nationality is Belarusian and he's a U.S citizen, so he's not Russian by any means. Well, he spent a few years in Russia when his father was coaching over there, but that's about it. I remember his father - hard worker, great character, and Alex looks and sounds just like him.
I was questioning the whole Russian thing before since his dad is clearly from Belarus. But I've seen Galy list himself as Russian. Maybe his mom is Russian?

On his NHL.com blog last summer (http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=3170), he mentioned spending time in Moscow to take his school exams.

I'm not sure if Russia recognizes dual (or triple) citizenship and whether he could play for Russia in an IIHF event since he's played hockey so little there. The easiest thing is for him to have US citizenship.

Old
06-21-2012, 08:43 PM
Roadman
Moving On

The only question that might rain on the Yakupov parade is the concussion issue. Concussions can not be surgically repaired. They cannot be rehabbed to my knowledge. I don't know what the medicos have to say about how severe his was. My understanding is that they can also have a cumulative effect. I am not saying that it is a reason to pass but this last year ought to dramatically demonstrate how quick a promising career can just go up in smoke.

To be just entering the NHL and already have had a concussion is not a good thing.

I post, therefore I am.
Old
06-21-2012, 09:01 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
If he isn't available at 2, I'll be doing cartwheels, because Yak will be there....

And I swear, if that happens and they pass on him or trade the pick, I might just go crazy/
It is just a hunch, nothing more. I think Howson really likes to draft centers and defensemen high and build up the middle (I know Voracek is an exception) but I think he probably feels that those two positions are premiums when picking high

Old
06-21-2012, 09:11 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
I was questioning the whole Russian thing before since his dad is clearly from Belarus. But I've seen Galy list himself as Russian. Maybe his mom is Russian?

On his NHL.com blog last summer (http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=3170), he mentioned spending time in Moscow to take his school exams.

I'm not sure if Russia recognizes dual (or triple) citizenship and whether he could play for Russia in an IIHF event since he's played hockey so little there. The easiest thing is for him to have US citizenship.
His dad was from Belarus, but played several years in Russia. Young Alex was born in his second year in North America, so I think it's highly likely that Mama Galchenyuk is Russian.

As far as Russian citizenship goes, it's the same country that granted an American female basketball player citizenship in a very short period of time in order to play for them in the Olympics in 2008. As far as I know, she'd spent part of one WNBA offseason in Russia, and that was it.

Old
06-21-2012, 09:45 PM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post

When someone asks me where am I from the easiest choice for me is to say "from Russia". Some people who knows me forever still think that I'm Russian. Any time I'm trying to explain the difference between Russia and Belarus nobody seems to care and I just get myself in troubles. Looks like 90% of Americans have no idea where Belarus is. "You speak Russian, so you're Russian!"... Yeah... It's like "You speak English, so you're British"... I think he just tried to avoid those problems with explanations.
His mother actually is also from Belarus: http://www.pressball.by/news.php?t=0707&id=72392 . This is his father's interview to Belarusian media where he said: "My wife is also Belarusian, every year we visit our motherland". ALL Alex's grandparents are still living in Belarus.
As I posted it before his sister represented Belarus internationally at figure skating tournaments, even though she was born in Moscow where their father used to play: http://www.pixieworld.net/en/profile...nna_galcheniuk ...
I think the guy grew up all over the world and he could choose any citizenship, but his pedigree is Belarusian, there's no doubt about it.

He said that he's got ONLY U.S. passport. His father gave him freedom of choice and he preferred American citizenship, so he never gonna play for Russia:
http://www.sports.ru/hockey/141166369.html

Old
06-21-2012, 09:51 PM
bizzz*

And something else to add why picking Alex could be a good idea... Wayne Gretzky was born in North America, but his ancestors came there from Belarus! The similarity is obvious . Here's the link to the Walter Gretzky wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Gretzky
Quote:
However, according to Walter Gretzky, whenever anyone would ask his father if they were Russian, he would reply, "Nyet. Belarus."

Old
06-21-2012, 10:22 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

My read on #CBJ first-round thought process: If Yakupov goes first to #Oilers , #CBJ take Murray and are delighted. If Murray goes first...#CBJ try to trade out of No.2. Preference if they trade down is Galchenyuk, then Forsberg, depending on how far they go/who's available. If #CBJ are stuck @ No. 2 - can't trade down - I think they go Galchenyuk.

Not buying it. I think its Forsberg either way. Just IMO though.

Old
06-21-2012, 10:22 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
https://twitter.com/Aportzline/statu...07431854112771

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/statu...08083875430401

Quote:
My read on ‪#CBJ‬ first-round thought process: If Yakupov goes first to ‪#Oilers‬ , ‪#CBJ‬ take Murray and are delighted. If Murray goes first...

... ‪#CBJ‬ try to trade out of No.2. Preference if they trade down is Galchenyuk, then Forsberg, depending on how far they go/who's available.

06-21-2012, 10:25 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Its unreal that we might not take the best player in the draft. Unreal.

Old
06-21-2012, 10:27 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Im so confused as to why we would want Murray so badly....we need forwards, yes Ik BPA but obviously we want Murray if Porty says we'd trade the #2 even with Yakupov there. Thats if Porty is right....please someone tell me where the sense lies in missing out on the best forward to draft a dman when we are going to be trading our star forward. We already cant score goals it seems...Before everyone attacks me with the "WHY ARE YOU COMPLAINING IF IT HASNT HAPPENED YET" BS. Play it out as hypothetical. Porty's words carry more weight as to what might happen than any of ours. Sorry if you dislike the guy, but hes right most of the time. Discuss.

Old
06-21-2012, 10:29 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Its unreal that we might not take the best player in the draft. Unreal.
Just the thought of it makes me want to grab the torches.

If we truly are going to pass on Yak, I HOPE EDM drafts him so we can save some face for this sorry organization.

Old
06-21-2012, 10:31 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Maybe because Not everyone thinks he is the best player in the draft.

Or that if Murray is gone and Galchenyuk is available then you can draft him plus assets.

Or that there is very real concern about the concussion.

There has been significant discussion that if Galchenyuk had not had his injury the best overall would have had been nothing more than a coin flip.

Last edited by Roadman: 06-21-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old
06-21-2012, 10:31 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Just the thought of it makes me want to grab the torches.
Me too.

Old
06-21-2012, 10:32 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Maybe because Not everyone thinks he is the best player in the draft.
Just TSN, Hockey News, Hockey Experts everywhere, and a bunch of other educated fans.

But our and Edmonton's excellent scouting staffs might not. Have alot of trust in that.

Old
06-21-2012, 10:33 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Just TSN, Hockey News, Hockey Experts everywhere, and a bunch of other educated fans.

But our and Edmonton's excellent scouting staffs might not. Have alot of trust in that.
The one year where all the experts agree on who the BPA is, that BPA might not go 1st. Hilarious.

Old
06-21-2012, 10:34 PM
OldGoaltender

And it could be posturing. If Howson does want Yak you'd hope he wouldn't come out and say it. He might be calling the Oiler's hand.

Or he might not.

Old
06-21-2012, 10:34 PM
Ludicrous Speed

If Murray goes 1, and our preference is Galchenyuk over Yakupov, then why trade down? Whoever we trade with will take Yak at 2, then Montreal will take Galchenyuk.

Old
06-21-2012, 10:39 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGoaltender View Post
And it could be posturing. If Howson does want Yak you'd hope he wouldn't come out and say it. He might be calling the Oiler's hand.

Or he might not.
Idk man I hope you are right. No one would actually believe you if you told them 3 weeks before the draft that they passed on Yakupov with the 2nd overall. I'd be truly mind blown and would love to hear the explanation.

Old
06-21-2012, 10:40 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGoaltender View Post

Or he might not.
I hope you're right..

Old
06-21-2012, 10:42 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
The one year where all the experts agree on who the BPA is, that BPA might not go 1st. Hilarious.
Since the combine ther has been quite bait written about the fast turnaround of Galchenyuk and how maybe he will be ready and that if he had not missed the year it be a very different discussion.

Old
06-21-2012, 10:44 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:

All of those same groups had Gilbert Brule ahead of Carey Price, and there was nearly a riot in Montreal when Price was picked over Brule.

But yes, we all know what's best.

Old
06-21-2012, 10:44 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Since the combine ther has been quite bait written about the fast turnaround of Galchenyuk and how maybe he will be ready and that if he had not missed the year it be a very different discussion.
I wont be upset with Galchenyuk at all honestly, I just will be pissed if we take him over Yakupov.

Old
06-21-2012, 10:45 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
If Murray goes 1, and our preference is Galchenyuk over Yakupov, then why trade down? Whoever we trade with will take Yak at 2, then Montreal will take Galchenyuk.
I would tend to agree.

But what if Montreal is willing to offer up a second rounder for the privilege of making the choice. If they take Yak you take Yuk or visa versa and you get a second.

Closed Thread