HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

What should we expect from Foligno next season...?

Old
06-21-2012, 03:14 PM
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
Don't care About points. They'll come.

I want to see a consistent Physical game that won't tone down after a few penalties that might be called against him. I want to see him bang people off the puck instead of after they get rid of it. I want to see a player that will stick up for his teammates.

I want defensemen to be hesistant when he's on the ice. I would like to see many moments like the Toronto game. Make people focus on him and not the others around him. Go to the net consistently, keep winning battles in all three zones.

That is what my expectations are. If he does the majority of those I think he will be fine.
Yes! This is what we should expect from Foligno. The points will come, but he should be playing a physical game and creating space for the more skilled players like Ennis and Stafford.

1point21Gigawatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:17 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
Isn't that what being a fan is all about?And I don't love every player we have, I don't really like Ellis,Sekera,Leopold and a few others which could be why we disagree so much

I don't think point totals in the OHL means a whole lot when it comes to Foligno..he has improved a lot the past couple years.And remember, some players produce better in the NHL then they do in juniors.Let's use Tyler Myers as an example.

Season before he was drafted 07-08 - 65gp,6g,13a,19p
His last junior season 08-09 - 58gp,9g,33a,42p

Then look at his rookie season.82gp,11g,37a,48p

By looking at Myers junior production before his rookie season or even before the 08-09 WHL season, would you have ever thought Myers would ever score 48 points in a NHL season, let alone his rookie one?Especially considering he scored 34 points his 2 seasons prior to the 08 draft combined? I think there are players who have high potential that didn't produce that much in juniors, yet produce in the NHL.And the reverse is so very true, a lot of producers in juniors can't score at all in the NHL.I guess what I'm saying is I think Foligno's offensive ceiling is a lot higher then what his junior production would dictate it'd be.
You're still projecting a rookie to top 50 points, a guy who's an effort player, not someone who's going to net some easy snipes. That's overly optimistic, especially tying it to an "expectation". So next summer, when talk of Foligno comes up, those expecting totals up around guys like Landeskog, Duchene or Tavares are going to be grousing because he put up less. The expectation seems outlandish -- the kid would have to be a serious trend setter for it to happen. If it did, awesome. But it's damned unlikely.

06-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

I want to see a consistent Physical game that won't tone down after a few penalties that might be called against him. I want to see him bang people off the puck instead of after they get rid of it. I want to see a player that will stick up for his teammates.

I want defensemen to be hesistant when he's on the ice. I would like to see many moments like the Toronto game. Make people focus on him and not the others around him. Go to the net consistently, keep winning battles in all three zones.

That is what my expectations are. If he does the majority of those I think he will be fine.
Yeah, he (and Kassian that year) were part of the move to get some road graders around to create space for the water bug types. That's going to be his game and there will be opportunities to hit the score sheet but his overall game, the key thing he can provide is the bang along the wall, the intensity, and the tenaciousness. The points will come.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Here are the 50+ point scoring rookies the last five seasons:

Gabriel Landeskog - 80 games, 52 points
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - 62 games, 52 points
Adam Henrique - 74 games, 51 points

---------------------------

Jeff Skinner - 82 games, 63 points
Logan Couture - 79 games, 56 points
Michael Grabner - 76 games, 52 points

--------------------------------

Matt Duchene - 81 games, 55 points
John Tavares - 82 games, 54 points

--------------------------

Bobby Ryan - 64 games, 57 points
Kris Versteeg - 78 games, 53 points (aged 22)

-----------------------------

Patrick Kane - 82 games, 72 points
Nick Backstrom - 82 games, 69 points
Jonathan Toews - 64 games, 54 points
Peter Mueller - 81 games, 54 points

There are very few outliers there (Versteeg and Henrique are the only non-first round talents in those lists). This is like the "Ennis will hit 80/90 points" thread last year. It's a nice dream, would be great fun if it happens... but the probability is for far, far less.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:25 PM
tsujimoto74

Expecting anywhere from 35-50 points (if the chemistry stays hot and he gets more, AWESOME) and 110-150 hits. If he's training properly over the summer, he should only be bigger and stronger next year.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:29 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
30-40 is what I'm expecting. Anything more would be awesome. Though, I would be even more thrilled if his line sticks as one of our scoring lines. He's the perfect complimentary player. I hope the chemistry continues.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 04:18 PM
Girgenburger

Even if he doesn't put up good points he is still an amazing character guy. I'm gonna say 15 goals, 40 points and 185 hits.

Girgenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 05:09 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
I'll go with 15-20 for a very solid 35. On top of that I expect him to improve his defense, retain his level of physicality, and begin learning how to become a true penalty killer in this league.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 05:18 PM
Sabresfansince1980

He may bump over 40 pts if he gets time parked in front of the crease on the PP.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 06:07 PM
tsujimoto74

As long as he comes with the same energy and grit that he showed over the last stretch of 11-12, I'll be happy to watch him play. Everything he brought to the table in the Toronto game specifically was a thing of beauty. But I don't think it'll be too hard for him to keep scoring with Ennis as his center.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 06:11 PM
jfb392

I could see about 30 points.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 06:13 PM
Der Jaeger

30 points.
Vying for team high in hits (depending on if McNabb stay up).

Bad things. Bad things, man.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 09:53 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Consistent physical play and north-south skating are what I want to see more than his point totals next season. If he keeps his edge on a scoring line, that could be more important to this team than 40 points.

That said, I agree that 30 points is probably the safest expectation.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 09:57 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

14 g, 22 a, 167 h, 6 scraps. And I'd be a happy man.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:02 PM
slip

Quote:

Nailed it.

slip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:14 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Expecting a result means if it doesn't happen you'll be disappointed or upset.

I don't expect Foligno to get 5 points all season. I don't expect him to hit. I don't expect him to make any difference on the ice at all.

Anything more than that, I'll be happy with a rookie trying to make an impact in someway on an NHL team.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:35 AM
sivert

I would be happy if he plays all season with the club and sees no time in the press box or AHL. 25-30 points would be fine.

sivert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:58 AM
Luceni

25 points, close to 200 hits and I'm happy.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 07:39 AM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Expecting a result means if it doesn't happen you'll be disappointed or upset.

I don't expect Foligno to get 5 points all season. I don't expect him to hit. I don't expect him to make any difference on the ice at all.

Anything more than that, I'll be happy with a rookie trying to make an impact in someway on an NHL team.
Marcus.... welcome to the "core".

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 07:57 AM
dkollidas

I'm expecting anywhere from 20-35 points realistically. It's tough to prognosticate numbers for young players, especially a guy who seemed like more of a grinder that played so well but in a short period of time. Would be very happy with 15-20-35 if he's still employing his physical game, which I think he will bc it's his forte

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:22 AM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

I just want him to do exactly what he did last year. Play the same way. Points or not, I think that's what we need.

CarlWinslow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:27 AM
5 Minute Major

Sorry, but if this kid doesn't put up 40 points I would be disappointed. To me that would mean one of three things;

1- His physical play if lacking. If we see what we did last year this kid is going to create a lot of havoc in front of the opposition net and he will get more than a few excuse me points.

2- He was taken off the Ennis/Stafford line.

3- He is seeing a lot of time in the press box/AHL. (See option 1)

Quite frankly, I see none of the three options I listed above taking place. The kid is a bull in a china shop and his point total will be more than people are thinking if Ennis and Stafford come through. He will give those two a lot of room to operate.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 12:46 PM
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
Sorry, but if this kid doesn't put up 40 points I would be disappointed. To me that would mean one of three things;

1- His physical play if lacking. If we see what we did last year this kid is going to create a lot of havoc in front of the opposition net and he will get more than a few excuse me points.

2- He was taken off the Ennis/Stafford line.

3- He is seeing a lot of time in the press box/AHL. (See option 1)

Quite frankly, I see none of the three options I listed above taking place. The kid is a bull in a china shop and his point total will be more than people are thinking if Ennis and Stafford come through. He will give those two a lot of room to operate.
To the first bold section: This is almost inevitable. Ruff is always juggling lines. Even if Foligno isn't playing poorly, Stafford or Ennis might end up juggled into different lines

To the second bold section: This defines your expectations for Stafford and Ennis, not Foligno. While I agree that Stafford and Ennis have the ability to help pad Foligno's point total, it's unfair to hold Foligno to a higher expectations if the other two don't produce.

I say aim low and the kid can't disappoint. Let him be the bull in a China shop with out getting to low on him if he doesn't put up ridiculous point totals...

1point21Gigawatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 12:48 PM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
I expect 20-30 but would be estatic with anything above 40. As long as he helps up Ennis and Staffords totals and plays hard all the time hes dynamite

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 12:57 PM
5 Minute Major

I guess it's just me but I can't understand the low expectations I am reading.

The kid had 13 points in 14 games with the Sabres last year. I think we all know his physical game will not drop off. That's firmly entrenched in his DNA.

I can't see him getting less than 40 unless something outside of his own doing is the cause.

40-50 points. I see him as being that type of point producer for the majority of his career and see it starting this season.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote