HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Encompassing Draft Day Thread (Formerly Yakupov Thread)

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Maybe indications are that Reinhart is going higher than expected so they're looking at Rielly?

Or maybe it's Tervainen!
I wouldn't be upset at drafting Rielly. Can't have too many of those guys in the system. Don't know how I feel about moving Gagner to get him though. Between Rielly and Reinhart I like Reinhart better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
So you don't think Gally could slot into his spot and at least tread water next year? (actual question i don't know enough about gally)
In theory I guess that many young players in your top 6 is crazy.
I don't know enough of Gally's game to really say with anything other than speculation. However, I don't think the Oilers have the defense or enough defensive veteran forwards to really shelter a young forward group like that. I'm sure others on here will chime in on Gagner's lack of defensive play (IATL, looking in your direction here). I know that Gally has good size and has at least Gag's offensive upside with likely a higher ceiling, so IMO he probably could play 2C but there would be growing pains.

Old
06-21-2012, 05:35 PM
#ualberta

I know alot of "sources" and people are saying they think we r going Murray but I don't know I just seen tambo's interview from today and it sounds to me like they're leaning toward yakopov
I'm not sure if u all seen it but here are some words these aren't by any means exact words

Asked if they're ar etwo players so close in skills that he could draft by org needs (which is obviously defense)
He replied only with they're like equal or something like that he made it sound like he is taking bpa

Old
06-21-2012, 05:37 PM
Oillio*
OMB god

lol pierre mcguire says he would be absolutely shocked if the oilers didnt take one of murray or reinhart if we keep the first overall, which he isnt sure we do

Old
06-21-2012, 05:38 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Judging by how shocked McGuire was when the NYI didn't draft Parise I'm okay with that statement.

He's out of his element here

Old
06-21-2012, 05:39 PM
#ualberta

Mark Spector Sports
@SportsnetSpec

We always thought they wouldn't deal No. 1 pick, but hearing Oilers GM Steve Tambellini, I am now convinced Edmonton takes Yakupov.

Old
06-21-2012, 05:40 PM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oillio View Post
lol pierre mcguire says he would be absolutely shocked if the oilers didnt take one of murray or reinhart if we keep the first overall, which he isnt sure we do
And at the mock draft the other night he said he'd take Yakupov if he were the Oilers if they don't trade down. Covering his bases I guess.

I think there are just a few scouts in the organization who don't want Yakupov at this point. The higher-ups seem to favor him.

Old
06-21-2012, 05:40 PM
The Bored Man
5-14-6-1

Quote:
The only thing in McGuire's head, other than visions of Hal Gill's stick, is hot air. Remember when he said that Penner wouldnt fetch a first?

Old
06-21-2012, 05:41 PM
T-Funk

Oh Donny

Old
06-21-2012, 05:43 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
Mark Spector Sports
@SportsnetSpec

We always thought they wouldn't deal No. 1 pick, but hearing Oilers GM Steve Tambellini, I am now convinced Edmonton takes Yakupov.
, I is a happy camper to this statement. Truthfully, I find Spec has a good feel for the organization.

Old
06-21-2012, 05:43 PM
Johnny Bravo
Fired Up

Quote:
What a dumbass. During the TSN mock draft he said he would take Yakupov #1.

Old
06-21-2012, 05:45 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
What a dumbass. During the TSN mock draft he said he would take Yakupov #1.
It's amazing this guy didn't get the Minny or Habs GM job.

Old
06-21-2012, 05:45 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
Ok..I guess I'd have to understand the context of the question(s) as to whether these were the only five they were considering or whatever...Was it the Oiler's group or just his list...It wouldn't be the first time someone interpreted what someone said differently...

The reason I find it strange is whenever someone trades down, they usually make it sound like they were the player they wanted all along so as not to hurt the players feelings or whatever...So, if the Oil traded for, let's say 10th overall and got a great package, they'd still try to spin to whomever they chose 10th that they were going to heavily consider them anyway and they were the player they wanted....Can't very well do that if they wern't on the 'list'..

I know it sounds jumbled but it would seem unusual to name a limited list based on not knowing what can happen in a draft...
He said straight out the top pick was down to one of five. Stauffer named a few and then to his surprise Stu offered to name the rest. Galy was not one of them (which I must say shocked the hell outta me).

Old
06-21-2012, 05:47 PM
Johnny Bravo
Fired Up

Puck-rakers: #CBJ GM Scott Howson has "no interest" in trading up for Edmonton's No. 1 pick, but could trade down.

Old
06-21-2012, 05:47 PM
PepsiFiend

I am 100% convinced the Oilers take Yakupov (only way they don't is if they trade down)... This is just TSN drumming up interest/controversy for the draft... They did it with Tavares/Duchene, Hall/Seguin, RNH/Larsson/Landeskog.

Old
06-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Oillio*
OMB god

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFiend View Post
I am 100% convinced the Oilers take Yakupov (only way they don't is if they trade down)... This is just TSN drumming up interest/controversy for the draft... They did it with Tavares/Duchene, Hall/Seguin, RNH/Larsson/Landeskog.
my thoughts exactly

Old
06-21-2012, 05:49 PM
dem

Take this for what its worth (nothing)

A buddy of mine golfed with Mike Sillinger a few weeks ago and he said Murray was the man.

Yes I know thats the definition of a worthless report. I didn't even know Mike Sillinger worked for the Oilers.

Old
06-21-2012, 05:51 PM
CupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
On Oilers now they said it was down to two but with a wildcard. He must be the Wildcard.
Hmmm, that's very interesting. The wildcard would have to be Galchenyuk one would think, maybe Dumba?

In any event, i'm all for drafting Galchenyuk at 1 if it's not Yakupov. As long as we hear "From the Sarnia Sting....", we should be good to go.

I'm thinking also that they might be exploring options not for a trade down like some think but for a trade up to the #6 or #8 pick. Interesting times ahead.

Old
06-21-2012, 05:52 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Agreed. We're taking Nail.

Old
06-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Johnny Bravo
Fired Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
Take this for what its worth (nothing)

A buddy of mine golfed with Mike Sillinger a few weeks ago and he said Murray was the man.

Yes I know thats the definition of a worthless report. I didn't even know Mike Sillinger worked for the Oilers.
I don't like the sounds of this.

Old
06-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
I remember the Tavares year, all of a sudden the night before the draft, Duchene, who had been a solid 3 the entire time, was going #1, lol

Old
06-21-2012, 05:55 PM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
, I is a happy camper to this statement. Truthfully, I find Spec has a good feel for the organization.
Like I said, Tambo himself seems to be leaning towards Yakupov based on some of his recent claims.

Among the scouts I'd guess that Yakupov is winning, but there are still a few guys pushing for someone else. That seemed like it was the case in previous years though, as well, but they made the right decision eventually. Just need to hope that the internal debate isn't going to be a problem this time.

Old
06-21-2012, 05:56 PM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
I am now convinced that nobody knows what the Oilers are going to do.

They must have various scouts going out there and telling people different things... bunch of trolls.

Old
06-21-2012, 05:58 PM
CupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
Exactly, this was especially the case in the Tavares draft when they were really pumping up Duchene to the Isles when the rest of the world knew that it would be Tavares.
I am convinced that Yakupov will be the pick, i refuse to believe that the consensus in the Oilers war room was for Murray.

Old
06-21-2012, 05:58 PM
Skm

24 hours...

Old
06-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Worst 24 hours ever coming right up.

Closed Thread