HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Encompassing Draft Day Thread (Formerly Yakupov Thread)

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2012, 12:06 PM
Angelus*
Smile Time!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
This is going to be a disaster... I can just feel incompetence in the air.
My thoughts exactly.

I have no confidence in them. The dunces running this freakshow are going to pass on the best player in this draft. I really hope I eat those words later but I don't know....

Old
06-22-2012, 12:07 PM
Dr_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Id feel bad for Murray if he was thrown into this fire. We as a fan base would never really embrace him and he would always be compared to what could have been.
You are 100% right. He would never be given a proper chance and would be yet another early pick D man traded before they get any good.

Old
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
TSNBobMcKenzie
EDM GM Steve Tambellini and his staff met this morning and, assuming no trades are made, finalized their decision on who they'll take at 1.
Which is........ YAKUPOV!

Old
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
On a positive Note, here's my pie in the sky, all the planets align perfect draft day for the Oilers.

1st Overall - Valeri Yakupov

Reinhart still on the board at #8, trade Sam Gagner and Linus Omark to the Canes for 8th overall, Zac Dalpe and rights to Bryan Allen

8th Overall - Griffin Reinhart

by some miracle Grigorenko still on the board at 12, call up the Sabres, move PRV, Hamilton and 2013 2nd round pick for 12th overall and Derek Roy

12th Overall - Mikael Grigorenko

Dalton Throw Continues to be in the bottom 20s, trad 32 overall + (something) to Phx at 27

27th Overall - Dalton Throw

Super awesome 1st round....that may not happen lol
Sam Gagner and Omark might get you the 8th overall, but I doubt it. No way do they add one of their best prospects in with it..

PRV, Hamilton and and a 2nd wouldnt be enough for Derek Roy alone..

Old
06-22-2012, 12:08 PM
alphahelix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
TSNBobMcKenzie
EDM GM Steve Tambellini and his staff met this morning and, assuming no trades are made, finalized their decision on who they'll take at 1.
"Shortly thereafter, the message was put out to team media Stauffer and Tencer, and the family of Murray was congratulated in private prior to the beginning of festivities."

GG

Just kiddin' y'all... it's not over til its over.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
@s7ark:

It's occured to me lately that you are doing a mighty fine job keeping a couple of these threads under control and even keeled.

Just thought I'd mention that...keep up the good work s7ark, and all the other Mods as well.

Tonight is gonna be hell night:

Old
06-22-2012, 12:09 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
I will take your tickets for half of face value....
nono I would scalp the hell out of them

Old
06-22-2012, 12:10 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Oilers just tweeted this.

Quote:
Edmonton Oilers ‏@NHL_Oilers

What do you think the #Oilers should do with their 1st overall selection at tonight's #NHLDraft? Tweet us your call for #FeedbackFriday
Feel free to let your opinion be known HFOil.

Thanks for the misfits, Dorian2. Great band

Old
06-22-2012, 12:12 PM
McNutty780

If we draft Murray I'm going to go ballistic.

Getting irritated just thinking about the possibility

Old
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Sam Gagner and Omark might get you the 8th overall, but I doubt it. No way do they add one of their best prospects in with it..

PRV, Hamilton and and a 2nd wouldnt be enough for Derek Roy alone..
Thanks for helping? Without you how would I know for sure that everyone on the team is worthless.

Whew, we really dodged a bullet their, thank you.

Old
Digger12

Quote:
Id feel bad for Murray if he was thrown into this fire. We as a fan base would never really embrace him and he would always be compared to what could have been.
That's the sad thing...IMO a lot of fans will end up looking at Murray in distaste not because of who he is, but what he represents.

He'll forever be the red headed stepchild for some fans.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:13 PM
OntOilFan

Gotta think it would suck for Murray to come in under these circumstances. Not only do you know you the fans DIDN'T want the team to select you, the pressure to be better than Yakupov will be enormous.

*sigh*

Old
06-22-2012, 12:15 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
That's the sad thing...IMO a lot of fans will end up looking at Murray in distaste not because of who he is, but what he represents.

He'll forever be the red headed stepchild for some fans.
yup, its a stupid pick because he's not the BPA, but its double-dumb because of how the fan base will react to him

Old
06-22-2012, 12:15 PM
Lacaar

If we take me I better not here from management that they've drafted a number 2 or 3 dman that will play in the NHL for 15 years. What kind of praise is that for a first overall?

What first overall hasn't done that? Patrick Stefan?

Come out and tell me. He's going to eat 25 mins on this blue line a night in a couple of years. Lead the d-corps in points and be everything a true #1 dman will be.

Tell me that and I'll reserve judgement for a couple of years.
Tell me he's a number 2 d-man and I'll puke.

Just keep in mind. There is NO significant offensive help coming to help the Oilers in the AHL or Minors. RNH, Eberle, Hall will have to shoulder the offensive burden for this team themselves.

If Hemsky doesn't recover or leaves and Hall remains on and off IR we are in deep kaka when it comes to goal scoring.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:17 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
i bet the oilers management team is just sitting there reading this thread loling

stu: lol hey tambo check this one hahahahaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
My thoughts exactly.

I have no confidence in them. The dunces running this freakshow are going to pass on the best player in this draft. I really hope I eat those words later but I don't know....
tambo: lol i saw that, kev you see this one? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNutty780 View Post

Klowe: bookmark that page as soon as macT gets dont sewing up the yakupov jersey he will want to read this as well

Old
06-22-2012, 12:17 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
If we take me I better not here from management that they've drafted a number 2 or 3 dman that will play in the NHL for 15 years. What kind of praise is that for a first overall?

What first overall hasn't done that? Patrick Stefan?

Come out and tell me. He's going to eat 25 mins on this blue line a night in a couple of years. Lead the d-corps in points and be everything a true #1 dman will be.

Tell me that and I'll reserve judgement for a couple of years.
Tell me he's a number 2 d-man and I'll puke.

Just keep in mind. There is NO significant offensive help coming to help the Oilers in the AHL or Minors. RNH, Eberle, Hall will have to shoulder the offensive burden for this team themselves.

If Hemsky doesn't recover or leaves and Hall remains on and off IR we are in deep kaka when it comes to goal scoring.
And don't forget our prospect pool up front is decrepit. Not too much top 6 talent there.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:21 PM
jebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Yeah I haven't seen too many Nail interviews, but this one was difficult to watch. I expected more after hearing several posters here talk about how personable he is. It certainly didn't show during the Gene interview.
TBH ive never been a huge fan of the guy personality wise. It dont matter though, hes the obvious BPA.

For those interested the interview is at http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:22 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
And don't forget our prospect pool up front is decrepit. Not too much top 6 talent there.
i just don't understand how the management team wouldn't see this... we have literally no help coming beyond the big 3 .... we are relying a LOT on hemsky for secondary scoring... we also have to hope that none of the big 3 have injury problems, which is pretty unlikely considering they all have had injury problems already.... we have literally no secondary scoring help coming, unless you foolishly believe that paajarvi is going to magically grow some scoring hands

yakupov would instantly give us two scoring lines, solving this problem

Old
06-22-2012, 12:22 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNutty780 View Post

Same here. The fact that we even have to worry about this shows how much of a joke this organization really is.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:24 PM
czar99

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I don't know... He's got a bit of the Ovechkin swagger to him. Don't get me wrong, I would like us to take him, but there's always a chance he gets that sense of entitlement and stops working as hard and Grigorenko/Galchenyuk/Murray ends up passing him

Good god I was just going to say the same thing.

He's an attention ***** and I think that puts some people off.

I remember a few years ago when Ovy had a contest for girls to win date with the almighty unibrow himself.

Of the flip side of the coin go's, I can't get by what the sarnia coach says about his work ethic on the ice is second to none he has coached.

I really hope the Oilers can land another high pick and get one of the centers+Reinhardt my gut tells me that would be a good thing for the team.

Also if the oilers could do the Anaheim scenario and they know Shultz is a slam dunk and they pick six I'd be like and it's 1 Yakupov, 6 Grigs and high fives from me.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:25 PM
AvOiL

If we're picking at #1, and we take anyone other than Yakupov or Galchenyuk, I will probably throw up. If not for Galchenyuk's injury this year, he would be right there with Yakupov.

If you want a defencemen, trade down and take Reinhart or Rielly. Use the 32nd and Gagner to get into the top-10 and take Grigorenko.

These are the only viable options, IMO.

Of course, what do I expect them to do? Draft Murray at #1

Old
Paralyzer008

If Tambo doesn't take Yakupov, it spells disaster. It puts immense pressure on Ryan Murray from the fans and it also makes the fans angry because 86% of us or so want Yakupov. So the majority becomes disappointed and then expectations for Murray skyrocket. We put high expectations on Hall, RNH, and Eberle, but we wanted all three of them in the end. For so many fans to want Yakupov yet receive Murray, we might end up putting more pressure on him than Leafs fans do on Schenn. So Tambo and Co, I have faith in you, please take the BPA.

I have this opinion even though I think Ryan Murray could be better offensively than he's projected. But, I still think Yakupov and Galchenyuk are better players in this draft.

Old
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
i just don't understand how the management team wouldn't see this... we have literally no help coming beyond the big 3 .... we are relying a LOT on hemsky for secondary scoring... we also have to hope that none of the big 3 have injury problems, which is pretty unlikely considering they all have had injury problems already.... we have literally no secondary scoring help coming, unless you foolishly believe that paajarvi is going to magically grow some scoring hands

yakupov would instantly give us two scoring lines, solving this problem
biggest problem with our prospect pool is that they've drafted so heavily on defence that, as you say, there isn't a lot there to pick from that hasn't already graduated to the "big time" outside the top-3 (Eberle, RNH, Hall).

I'd hope the Oilers go big on forwards this time around, starting with Yakupov.

Old
loller12

I have no idea, whats up with all the hate tambo is getting. Obviously if we are drafting Ryan Murray at #1 tells me that our scouts think that Murray is the BPA in there eyes. What the heck is tambo suppose to say if the scouts think murray is #1? Also don't forget the past two years we took the consensus #1 so have faith with our scouting staff and stu. If stu thinks yakupov isn't the bpa then so be it.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:26 PM
Digger12

I fully expect this board to go into full-blown 'sanitarium' mode at a level that hasn't been seen since that moment when Smyth became an Islander back in '07.

It'll be like when Alderaan got laser'd by the Empire...except it won't be the sound of billions of people screaming in terror you'll hear, but Oiler fans going "FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU..........." and so on.

Closed Thread