HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo XIII - UnoLussy (Mod Warning In OP)

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2012, 11:04 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyPO View Post
Just like I said, brush it off. You don't need to try to sell Luongo to me, but the Leafs are not in a corner and can easily turn else where.
If Leaf fans don't want Luongo then why bother making trade offers for him? I don't want Komisarek which is why you never see me posting trade offers to acquire him.

I don't think the Canucks and Leafs are good trading partners at all. The Leafs have only a couple of assets I'd move Luongo for, and the Leafs apparently won't move those pieces. Makes more sense for both teams to look elsewhere.

06-22-2012, 11:04 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
I've read and heard from people in Vancouver that Toronto is the logical choice for Luongo.
TO is 'a' logical choice, but there are others. Florida actually makes more sense if they don't believe Markstrom can handle #1 duties for a few years... as Luongo lives there, his family is there and Florida has a boat-load of young players/prospects and picks.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:05 AM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Any and every time a Leaf fan has answered this question a Canuck fan brushes them off with "Good luck making the playoffs with x or y." The point is there are other goalies available, not that they are as good but they come at a far lesser price and allow for some more stable, short term help than we had last year. Other than just going with Reimer/Scrivens cheap options include:

Scott Clemmensen, Marty Biron, Johan Hedberg, Antero Niittymaki, Dan Ellis, if Luongo goes to Florida Jose Theodore, potentially Jonathan Bernier (most signs are pointing to not being available though)
Why are you surprised? Reimer/Gustavsson was a failure last year; personally I wouldn’t be too confident Reimer/Scrivens will be able to be good enough to make the Leafs a playoff team. All those names you’ve mentioned that are available at this point are backups and aren’t necessarily upgrades on what the Leafs have now. The only goalie available right now that is an upgrade for Toronto is Luongo.

Burke is looking to upgrade the position, not make a sideways move.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:05 AM
Inverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Or you could always trade for Mason, the former rookie of the year and then pick up Cheechoo a 50 goal scorer.
mason was rushed and given the workload of playing 60+ games a season as a 20 yr old, reimer spent his last 2 seasons in the AHL posting 920% before his rookiie year with the leafs

Old
06-22-2012, 11:07 AM
AlmightyPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Why are you surprised? Reimer/Gustavsson was a failure last year; personally I wouldn’t be too confident Reimer/Scrivens will be able to be good enough to make the Leafs a playoff team. All those names you’ve mentioned that are available at this point are backups and aren’t necessarily upgrades on what the Leafs have now. The only goalie available right now that is an upgrade for Toronto is Luongo.

Burke is looking to upgrade the position, not make a sideways move.
Burke is looking to upgrade THE TEAM firstly. If he gets Luongo obviously we become a better team, but if we are giving up too much I doubt he does it. Personally I agree with this, I really want Luongo and know what he can do for the team, but I would rather go into next season with Reimer and Scrivens than have to give up too much.

They would most likely be acquired as a back-up for one year and let us re-ass ess next offseason if Reimer or Scrivens don't pan out. They wouldn't need to provide lights out goaltending but just be better than last season, while also bringing some experience to the table to help Reimer when needed.

Old
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
TO is 'a' logical choice, but there are others. Florida actually makes more sense if they don't believe Markstrom can handle #1 duties for a few years... as Luongo lives there, his family is there and Florida has a boat-load of young players/prospects and picks.
Bolded part wouldn't matter at all to Florida. Stop bringing that up Nuck fans.

Old
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
If Leaf fans don't want Luongo then why bother making trade offers for him? I don't want Komisarek which is why you never see me posting trade offers to acquire him.

I don't think the Canucks and Leafs are good trading partners at all. The Leafs have only a couple of assets I'd move Luongo for, and the Leafs apparently won't move those pieces. Makes more sense for both teams to look elsewhere.
Thank you.

It would be equivalent to a bunch of us posing in a "Value of: Mike Komisarek" thread going on and on about how much we don't want him.

You don't want Luongo, that's perfectly fine. There are 4 teams interested, we will take the best offer (as would any team in the league) and move on - filling the team holes and gearing up for a 2013 Stanley Cup run.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:08 AM
Dr Good Vibes

I think a trade with Florida is possible as he lives there and his wife his from there.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:08 AM
Ballgarath

Vancouver needs size/skill/grit in their top6, they also need a power play qb D-man, these are the areas id like to see vancouver trade one of our goalies+w/e. these needs may not make T.O. a good trading partner and when all is said and done ill be very disappointed if a goalie+w/e doesnt get that for us. i dont care who we trade with or if more than just one of goalies moves in the trade please we a player with size/skill/grit on the top 6 and a qb d-man make it happen MG

Old
06-22-2012, 11:09 AM
FiveAndGame

Can the next title still be "A View to Kill" if he isn't traded? You know, from the bench?

Old
06-22-2012, 11:11 AM
AlmightyPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
Thank you.

It would be equivalent to a bunch of us posing in a "Value of: Mike Komisarek" thread going on and on about how much we don't want him.

You don't want Luongo, that's perfectly fine. There are 4 teams interested, we will take the best offer (as would any team in the league) and move on - filling the team holes and gearing up for a 2013 Stanley Cup run.
Leafs are interested, you just asked for a list of alternatives for the Leafs and then when provided the Canuck patrol comes out in full force making sure we all know that anyone else sucks, Luongo is the only option, and Leafs won't make the playoffs without him, etc.

Based on rumours last night there are 3 interested teams, including the Leafs.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPyro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Don't like what you read? Proceed to act like children.
Should I apply this same logic to the Vancouver Sun? After all both have local "favorites" but apparently it's okay when it favors Toronto but not Vancouver. Keep in mind the Vancouver Sun does follow ups with TSN, the most reputable source. Granted, both are likely bias.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:12 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Uhh pretty sure I was stating I hope Luongo gets traded to Florida.

FLA 1st, Upshall and Bjugstad is far more appealing than any of the crap the Leafs will send our way.
Of course it's more appealing. But why in God's name would FLA do that?

Old
06-22-2012, 11:12 AM
Dr Good Vibes

Quote:
Ah, the ever reliable source in argument, "Rumour"...

Well played sir, well played.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:13 AM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Dreger said today there are 4, including the Leafs.

Which is great, and more than even I thought. 4 teams will drive up the price nicely, and hopefully Gillis works his magic to fill out team needs over the next week and a half.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:14 AM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundCake View Post
Bolded part wouldn't matter at all to Florida. Stop bringing that up Nuck fans.
Luongo is still popular with Panthers fans. Bringing him back would be a very good PR move.

Old
dfunk

pretty sure if Burke doesn't get Luongo he will be egged or tarred and feathered anytime he is in public. which would be probably be more satisfying to me than making the playoffs.

Old
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Of course it's more appealing. But why in God's name would FLA do that?
That's what a few FLA fans agreed to - may not be the actual trade but we are all playing armchair GM here so...

I think they would do that as their 1st is a late pick, Bjugstad is somewhat redundant given their nice cache of centre prospects and Upshall is a salary dump whom many Florida fans weren't overly enthused with.

I think FLA fans also recognize that you have to give to get.

Old
AlmightyPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Good Vibes View Post
Ah, the ever reliable source in argument, "Rumour"...

Well played sir, well played.
Better than a blind statement, but if they are the same what we say literally has no meaning.

Quote:

Which is great, and more than even I thought. 4 teams will drive up the price nicely, and hopefully Gillis works his magic to fill out team needs over the next week and a half.
If he did, I missed it. My mistake.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:17 AM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0MER View Post
mason was rushed and given the workload of playing 60+ games a season as a 20 yr old, reimer spent his last 2 seasons in the AHL posting 920% before his rookiie year with the leafs
I don't think you guys did any favours throwing Reimer to the wolves last year. Aside form his concussion issues I'd be worried that you ruined his confidence much like Mason in Columbus. If he gets thrown in as the number one again this year I think you'll regret it.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:18 AM
AlmightyPO

Quote:
I don't think you guys did any favours throwing Reimer to the wolves last year. Aside form his concussion issues I'd be worried that you ruined his confidence much like Mason in Columbus. If he gets thrown in as the number one again this year I think you'll regret it.
That is why we would bring in someone else with more experience. Luongo isn't the only goalie out there with experience who can provided better goaltending than last year.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:19 AM
Halibut

Quote:
Really? Is that why multiple sources are saying Florida is interested and kicking the tires on Luongo? Florida aren't the New York Islanders, they added a ton of salary last offseason and usually sit around 20th in terms of overall spending.

There are a ton of goalies available? Really? Huh.

Could you name one who fits your description of the Leafs goaltending situation? Sounds like optimistic spin to me.

The bolded is one of the big reasons why they'd be less likely to do so again this year. That and the fact that if Luongo's play starts to slide or Markstrom eclipses him in a couple years they'd be in the same situation the Canucks are in now with even a worse market.

As for an adequate goaltender Clemmenson is available, Emery might be enough, Roloson could still be ok for a year, Biron, Leighton, any of a half dozen other guys who've shown something at various points in the NHL or even AHL. These arent high end guys but they dont need a sure fire thing if they still believe Reimer can turn things around or that Scrivens could turn into a solid guy. Luongo would be nice to have but he's a luxury not a necessity. They'll try and get him for sure but it's not a necessity.

Old
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
Isn't he the one everyone says doesn't know anything?

Old
vanwest

Quote:

If there really are four and Luongo will go to all of them then this could be very good news. I'd guess Toronto, Florida and Columbus as three. The problem is whether Luongo would see Columbus as a team that is committed to getting better. The management there has been terrible. I wonder who the 4th could be?

Old
06-22-2012, 11:20 AM
AlmightyPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
Isn't he the one everyone says doesn't know anything?
Ya that other poster contradicted him in the post right before that, but I didn't want to say anything

Quote:
If there really are four and Luongo will go to all of them then this could be very good news. I'd guess Toronto, Florida and Columbus as three. The problem is whether Luongo would see Columbus as a team that is committed to getting better. The management there has been terrible. I wonder who the 4th could be?
Chicago or San Jose I am guessing

Closed Thread