HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Offseason Thread Part VIII: The Ballad of Ricky (and) Bobby

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2012, 01:07 AM
mahonistan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Selanne wont leave.

Jagr.
Anyone's morals can be bought.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:11 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
From the trade board:

To

Stepan + MDZ + 2012 1st

To

Ryan + 2012 2nd

Would you guys do this deal? I'm only hesitant because our depth at center would be very weak after this deal. You have to admit, the value is pretty close though. Ducks fans accepted this one as fair value. Oh well, I guess it's MILLER TIME lol.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:17 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

no, i wouldnt trade a top 4 defenseman for a forward. ABSOLUTELY NOT.

To throw in our #2 center too...I'd wager a LOT that our offense would be worse without MDZ and Stepan even with Bobby Ryan in it.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:19 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i just think Bobby Ryan is a bad fit for us. Only because there will be 28 other teams trying to trade for him, driving his price up. He's also on a reasonable contract to boot. Nash is the best option once Howson realizes nobody with a brain is going to give up the type of players he wants.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:21 AM
gravey9

I keep having this thought that Resnick told Howson that his client now only wants to come to the Rangers based on the remaining teams that are serious about making a deal. And now, Howson in a very bad spot, said he'd do his best as long as Nash/Resnick kept their mouths shut. Now, he's merely using the Sharks as a way to get the best he can out of Sather. I actually think Philly popping up as a destination is a total smoke screen.

Problem is, Slats isn't giving him nearly a good enough deal. It's possible Nash could end up in SJ...and that Howson is trying to squeeze a bit more out of them too. That said, I'm not certain Nash/Resnick think SJ is a legit contender, even with Nash, especially as the very trade sending him there could hurt their depth (now and in the near future).

I seriously hope Slats keeps to his guns and doesn't sweeten the pot anymore than he already has. I think it's Dubi, Thomas, #28 - maybe the last piece is one of: Miller, AA, Erixon or next year's #1 as the other component. Or perhaps Slats is separately trying to move up in this year's draft or adding picks from next year.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:21 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

personally if the only way we can upgrade our offense is to trade one of our top 4 defenseman, id opt for just standing pat for a year. Im ok with trading Dubi, AA, some prospects...thats fine. Our D is elite, i have zero interest in dismantling it. MDZ had like 3 bad games and ppl are shippin ghim out without a problem, pisses me off.

if were upgrading our scoring its going to be a 4-1 type of thing where we send 3 or 4 mid range type players for 1 great player. If we can't do that, then I say stand pat next year. Go get me Konopka for the 4th line, re-sign Prust if you can, and call it a day.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:26 AM
gravey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
personally if the only way we can upgrade our offense is to trade one of our top 4 defenseman, id opt for just standing pat for a year. Im ok with trading Dubi, AA, some prospects...thats fine. Our D is elite, i have zero interest in dismantling it. MDZ had like 3 bad games and ppl are shippin ghim out without a problem, pisses me off.

if were upgrading our scoring its going to be a 4-1 type of thing where we send 3 or 4 mid range type players for 1 great player. If we can't do that, then I say stand pat next year. Go get me Konopka for the 4th line, re-sign Prust if you can, and call it a day.
I couldn't agree more.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:33 AM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
From the trade board:

To

Stepan + MDZ + 2012 1st

To

Ryan + 2012 2nd

Would you guys do this deal? I'm only hesitant because our depth at center would be very weak after this deal. You have to admit, the value is pretty close though. Ducks fans accepted this one as fair value. Oh well, I guess it's MILLER TIME lol.
Solves 1 problem but creates 2.
1LW is solved, but now we have a hole in 2C and top 4 D
And any cap space saved by signing Ryan will have to go toward signing a FA center and FA D.
The value is not there and neither is the math.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:37 AM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
no, i wouldnt trade a top 4 defenseman for a forward. ABSOLUTELY NOT.

To throw in our #2 center too...I'd wager a LOT that our offense would be worse without MDZ and Stepan even with Bobby Ryan in it.
Stepan will have to be involved in the trade. Ducks want him, question is how bad?

Old
06-22-2012, 01:38 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
Stepan will have to be involved in the trade. Ducks want him, question is how bad?
Stepan may have to go...but i wouldnt include any of our top Dmen...not unless they wanna gamble on Sauer.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:44 AM
nyr5186

Quote:

Amen.

As much as it's easy to say that we need one more piece to complete our team for a Cup run, let's be honest. We did very well this year, despite all the setbacks (Staal, Sauer, subpar seasons from Richards, Dubi and Boyle). Now is not the time to make harsh, drastic panic-ridden moves. Unless we get a deal on our terms (like inferno mentioned), let's be patient. Let's keep developing the chemistry we've been forming over the past 3/4 years. Let's develop our own players (Kreider, Hags, Erixon, etc.) and see what we got. This is the formula that's gotten us to where we are now. It would be a shame to break it apart by creating several major holes in order to fill one.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:46 AM
Ola

I think we could be in in Yandle!

Our offer:
Artem Anisimov -- Tippet loves centers like him. Won't cost PHX a ton, you will always get a good bang for the buck.

Tim Erixon -- PHX already have David Rundblad, Erixons former formidable PP partner.

2-3rd rounder

I am not sure how crazy the bidding for Yandle could become in today's market. But believe me, that's two perfect fits in PHX. You get like Schenn, you are forced to pay him 4-5m even if he only scores 35 pts, just like with Turris. AA and Erixon would definitely fit righ in PHX, they would be cheap for years to come, and both could grow in bigger roles.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:47 AM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

On another front, how about Ryder as a 3RW? What would he cost in terms of picks? 1 more year at 3.5 Mil

Old
06-22-2012, 01:50 AM
Hodgy OFWG
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Hodgy OFWG
not sure if we are looking for cap space but would anyone add a pick or something to Dubi for Grabovski

Old
06-22-2012, 01:51 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
On another front, how about Ryder as a 3RW? What would he cost in terms of picks? 1 more year at 3.5 Mil
Rather have Jagr at a much cheaper cap hit

Old
06-22-2012, 01:52 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:

Agreed with everything except for Konopka. I despise him.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:52 AM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Stepan may have to go...but i wouldnt include any of our top Dmen...not unless they wanna gamble on Sauer.
Maybe Stepan, JT and first?

Old
06-22-2012, 01:55 AM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRangers89 View Post
Huh? Eminger played pretty good IMO. Mitchell never made any mistakes that costed us a game did he?
Actually now that you mention it there were two games this year Mitchell pretty much lost by himself.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:56 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Moving Stepan is both a terrible idea and won't happen. If we're moving a center it'll be Anisimov with Dubinsky.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:59 AM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Moving Stepan is both a terrible idea and won't happen. If we're moving a center it'll be Anisimov with Dubinsky.
Ducks want Stepan, not Anisimov or Dubinski. If Dubi and Anisimov can bring back Nash, I am all for it.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:01 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Ducks want Stepan, not Anisimov or Dubinski. If Dubi and Anisimov can bring back Nash, I am all for it.
Entice them to take someone else or move along. Opening up a hole at center with aging/possibly injury prone Richards could be one of the biggest mistakes this franchise ever makes.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:12 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Sign stop gaps, bring in Staal after this season. Explore the big trade market after another season or at this deadline. Make smart moves, bring in depth. That is what needs to be the agenda. Don't do anything stupid. This team is good enough to win, just needs to be tinkered with enough and a couple small pieces added.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:14 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
The Rangers, who are believed to have quarantined Chris Kreider, Ryan McDonagh, Marc Staal and Derek Stepan (in addition to Ryan Callahan, Dan Girardi and Henrik Lundqvist) probably don’t have enough young NHL-ready talent available in order to get Ryan, the 25-year-old with three years remaining on his contract at an annual $5.1 million cap charge.

Anaheim is not believed to have interest in Brandon Dubinsky ($4.2M cap hit), who would be one of the pieces going the other way in a hypothetical deal for Nash that won’t occur unless Columbus general manager Scott Howson slashes his asking price for the 28-year-old with six years at $7.8M per season remaining on his contract.

Including Stepan in an offer for Ryan would pique the interest of Anaheim GM Bob Murray, who is seeking a second-line center behind Ryan Getzlaf. But moving Stepan would leave the Rangers with either Dubinsky or Artem Anisimov as the putative second-line pivot on the summer roster.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1yVImblCS

Brooks writes the Rangers will attempt to trade up to select Mikhail Grigorenko if he starts to slide. Trade up to the low 20's or trade down to pick up an extra pick or two.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:15 AM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Inferno
Quote:
My ideal lineup next year when Gabby is healthy….

Hagelin – Richards – Gaborik
Kreider – Stepan – Nash
Anisimov – Boyle – Callahan
Rupp – Konopka (~750k- 1 Mil) – Prust

McDonagh – Girardi
Staal – Schultz
Del Zotto – Erixon
Hagelin is a not first liner, he is a 3rd liner.
Boyle is not a 3rd liner, he belongs on the 4th line.
How is Arty still on the team? You traded him for Nash.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:15 AM
gravey9

Quote:
Maybe Stepan, JT and first?
No, no. The whole point of Ryan is we're trying to get a winger to play with Stepan.

In 2012...
Stepan ended up with: 17g 34a 51p +14 - Age 22.
Ryan had: 31g 26a 57p +1 - Age 25.

Why would it then also cost us one of our top prospects and a first rounder for SIX POINTS? Especially, when you consider the +/-, playing on the PK and all the other things Step does for the team. Stepan may not have the name value of Ryan or the flash but he's worth way more in so many ways to the Rangers than Ryan was to the Ducks. And you don't bring in a sniper at the expense of shipping out one of the best guys on the team at getting him the puck.

This makes no sense and while Ryan has good value, this is terrible value for our team. And I'm not even getting into the other players youv'e added.

Beyond that, the way we should be judging a trade isn't about what team got more value, but about how the trade impacts our team. And I would argue adding bobby ryan but losing stepan alone is a loss. Losing miller and a 1st in addition is a huge loss for the Rangers in terms of what the team will suddenly be missing. I think a more fair trade in regards to value would be Anisimov + a first + (maybe another draft pick or prospect). If they want more, then walk. Keep in mind AA is only 21... he's probably not hit his ceiling yet. He hasn't even filled out completely.

Closed Thread