HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Offseason Thread Part VIII: The Ballad of Ricky (and) Bobby

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2012, 12:43 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

vCash: 500
I completely understand that Howson needs to get the most he can for Nash, but he's painted himself into a tough situation.

He can't fix all the problems of the Blue Jackets in one offseason. He's created an absolute mess, that would need a really heady and smart GM to fix, and even at that, I still think it would be 5+ years until the Blue Jackets are somewhat competitive.

Not to mention Nash, at no point, has brought this to the public. He's tried to keep this as in house as possible. Its Howson whose turned this into a complete spectacle.

That organization is in desperate need of a total blow up.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Darn tootin. I still don't get the infatuation with putting McIIrath into every conceivable trade prosposal.
Can we just wait and see what he develops into?
Cause people are obsessed with the names on the back of the jerseys more so than what it will do to the team.

McIlrath from day one was labeled as a long term project. The hope was to give him enough time and we'd reap the rewards in like 5 years time. He's projected to be similar to Brooks Orpik. People insist on putting him in trade packages because he's under the radar right now and has little-no hype. The minute he fills out physically and starts becoming defensively responsible is the minute he'll be considered "untouchable" by our fan base.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:45 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
For the 10th pick in the draft, he better at least be Brooks Orpik.
Was about to say "right handed Orpik".

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
Old
06-22-2012, 12:47 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
He's going to be 30 by the start of next season. That's the wrong side of 30 buddy. That is considered aging. Hence why I said he was "aging", not "old".
There are a lot of guys between the ages of 30 - 35 who are still very productive.

Not to mention, he only has one year left on his contract. If he doesn't perform, you let him walk or you can trade him at the deadline for assets.

That being said, I still think Clowe would be an excellent addition to this club.

Old
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Except he's much much bigger than Orpik.

McIlrath has a higher ceiling than Orpik but could end up as a bottom pairing guy for his entire career.

I really like him and would be upset to see him traded to be honest.

Old
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Lets just say for the fun of it, Stepan gets moved for either Ryan or Nash and Dubinsky could bring in someone like Clowe. and we brought in Schultz.

Ryan/Nash-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Anisimov-Clowe
Hagelin-Boyle-Callahan
Prust-?-Rupp

Mcdonagh/Girardi
Staal/Del Zotto
Schultz/Stralman?
7th D

Biron
Hank.

not sure too many would complain about that...
Not bad except for a few big issues:

1) Anisimov isn't anywhere near a 2nd line center.
2) Boyle sure isn't a 3rd line center
3)Still need another right side defenseman because playing Del Zotto on the right side is a recipe for disaster.

Our center position would be weak as all hell with the lineup you've presented. Just look at the King's centers compared to our's vis a vie your lineup:

-Kopitar is a lot better than Richards
-Richards blows Anisimov out of the water!
-What's his name? is way better than Boyle.

Apart from that, I would Iove to get Clowe on this team but wouldn't jump thru flaming hoops to move the ranch for Ryan or Nash. They're both way overpriced at present.

Old
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodySaveKreider View Post
I completely understand that Howson needs to get the most he can for Nash, but he's painted himself into a tough situation.

He can't fix all the problems of the Blue Jackets in one offseason. He's created an absolute mess, that would need a really heady and smart GM to fix, and even at that, I still think it would be 5+ years until the Blue Jackets are somewhat competitive.

Not to mention Nash, at no point, has brought this to the public. He's tried to keep this as in house as possible. Its Howson whose turned this into a complete spectacle.

That organization is in desperate need of a total blow up.
I mean can you blame him? He had a decent core a few years ago and then handcuffed himself in trying to get as many big name free agents as possible to surround around Nash. They turned out to be ultimately bad investments and now he has to go about rebuilding the franchise the right way. Nash is his only leverage, he's using it to the best of his ability now. He'll cave soon, he's backing himself into a corner. Right now he's hoping that someone caves and gives him that package, if no trade happens by like July 5th, look to see Howson lower his price significantly.

He's setting himself up to be absolutely embarrassed because he's overplaying his card. If he overplays it too much and offends big Glen over here you can be guaranteed the package he'll receive will be considerably lower than the one the Rangers offered at the deadline.

Old
eco's bones

The answer to Byfuglien if he ever came here would be to put him on the wing again and use him as a point man on the pwp. He would drive Torts up the wall though. He doesn't like his players being out of shape-no matter how good they are at what they do.

I really wonder how competent Howson is. I mean--Flyers achilles heel since Pelle Lindberg died in an auto crash--must be 20-25 years ago has been in goal and it still is--so they trade for the backup netminder of a dysfunctional goalie tandem. How the **** do you think that is going to work out when your team is worse in just about every area than the Flyers? He couldn't displace Bryzgalov who had a fairly horrible year and now he gets to play for a much worse defense.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodySaveKreider View Post
There are a lot of guys between the ages of 30 - 35 who are still very productive.

Not to mention, he only has one year left on his contract. If he doesn't perform, you let him walk or you can trade him at the deadline for assets.

That being said, I still think Clowe would be an excellent addition to this club.
We're talking about long term solutions here. The assets it takes to get Clowe here now, just to see if he'll work out is too big of a risk without the big reward aspect. He'll be another 3rd liner or a stop gap 2nd liner, which we have enough of as it is. Yea, adding onto our strengths isn't a bad thing, but people are making him out to be the solution and he is not that at all. He'll actually probably be more detrimental to our long term future than anything, considering the assets we'll have to give up to get him.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:51 PM
chip chipperson*

pretty soon nash is going to force howsons hand.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdale View Post
I don't know much about McIlrath. What player currently in the league do you see him turning into?
I have no idea but we spent a 10th pick on him and if/when he develops into an NHL player, he gives us something that we haven't had here in an eternity and that none of our current defensemen(who are pretty much clones of one another) can come close to giving us and that is a big, tough, mean clear the crease defenseman.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:54 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Stop with this love affair for Clowe. Dubinsky is a better option.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:55 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Switch out Stepan with Del Zotto and I think you got it.
Dude. Stepan isn't getting traded.

From Clark's mouth.

They're not trading their 22 year old #2 center.

I forgot to put Del Zottto on the list. He's not going anywhere either.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:55 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

No blockbuster deals are happening tonight.

Lots of draft picks and minor deals but no big ones.

06-22-2012, 12:58 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

From Clark's mouth.

Thats what I'm saying!!!!

Why would you ever trade a young Top 6 Center, who continues to show improvement?

The center depth of this team would be completely shot it they traded Stepan.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:59 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
No blockbuster deals are happening tonight.

Lots of draft picks and minor deals but no big ones.
Party pooper. Who knows, if Nash forces Howson's hand tonight a lot of **** could go down.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:59 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Buff would die at a Torts camp.
He'd have to wear an oxygen tank on his back and his tongue would still be wrapped around his knees!

Old
06-22-2012, 01:01 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

From Clark's mouth.

Didn't say he was getting traded. Just saying he's not on the untouchables list, in my opinion. HE grossly underperformed at the end of the last 2 seasons, maybe management doesn't like that.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:03 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle62 View Post
Was about to say "right handed Orpik".
I wasn't a fan of the pick, but, after watching him in TC and in the pre-season, you can see what Clark and Gorton saw. His hands and feet are quite nimble for such a big player. Give me solid physical play and the ability to clear the crease on a consistent basis, and McIlrath will be okay.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:03 PM
mahonistan*

Quote:
Didn't say he was getting traded. Just saying he's not on the untouchables list, in my opinion. HE grossly underperformed at the end of the last 2 seasons, maybe management doesn't like that.
Maybe management sees a 21 year old with untapped potential.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:06 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I wasn't a fan of the pick, after watching him in TC and in the pre-season, you can see what Clark and Gorton saw. His hands and feet are quite nimble for such a big player. Give me solid physical play and the ability to clear the crease on a consistent basis, and McIlrath will be okay.
Yup, he really did well in TC, showed some great glimpses.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:10 PM
KingWantsCup
United we stand

vCash: 50
There hasn't been a truly exciting trade in the league since Carter and Richards were dealt from Philly. The trade deadline was a JOKE. I was expecting so much more from today. The only thing that's happened thusfar is the Bobrovsky trade... WEAK. Apparently Columbus does not feel they are close to a deal at the moment either. So lame, it's not even funny. Thank God July 1st is always fun because as far as trades go it has been terribly boring for almost a year now.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:19 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Just saying he's not on the untouchables list, in my opinion.
Well, when you consider the hole his departure would create it all but makes it certain he won't be dealt. He's the best young center the organization has developed in a long, long time.

Yes, meager play off performer thus far. But he's 22. Young players with this upside are given time by organizations with a clue.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Well, when you consider the hole his departure would create it all but makes it certain he won't be dealt. He's the best young center the organization has developed in a long, long time.

Yes, meager play off performer thus far. But he's 22. Young players with this upside are given time by organizations with a clue.
I mean either he has it or he doesn't. He doesn't just disappear for the playoffs he disappears for the end of the season in general. Don't get me wrong, put him on a line with Kreider and I think we'll have instant chemistry, but I don't think he can be considered an untouchable. He's not a 1st line center and it doesn't look like he'll ever be able to develop into one.

There's a difference between untouchable and not wanting to trade. I don't want to trade Stepan but I don't think he should hold up a deal for someone who will keep an opponents defense at bay during the playoffs either.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Trades will happen at the draft especially if picks are involved just for the drama of it. Wouldn't be surprised if it was quiet until then.

Closed Thread