HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Nash Thread III (all things Nash here)

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2012, 06:58 AM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

vCash: 500
His best chances for the biggest return died when it was discovered that Nash demanded a trade. After that, GM's have been waiting on Howson to lower the price, because they know Nash wants out and if he waits too long, he may make waves. Luckily, that's only happened once, but sooner or later, Nash is gonna get frustrated and may push his agent to go public once again.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:03 AM
Xoggz22
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
Looks like Scotty pooped his big boy pants. This is awful and how this organization can continue to allow it to happen is baffling. At this point, I absolutely understand why Rick Nash asked for a trade. I hope that you are traded to an organization that actually gives a ****. We can all forget about getting roster players because our dimwitted GM set the bar way too high and now, he'll be lucky to get a roster player and a first round pick. That's not an indictment of Nash, that's an indictment to just how incompetent Howson is. Ryan Murray I'm sure will be a fine addition, but Howson in my mind turned this draft into exactly what I thought he would...a train wreck.
Why is this awful? Why has Howson "Pooped his pants again"? Who cares if you want it done? I do too but the last thing I want is a bad deal made because "it needs to happen" and I'm not looking forward to listening to a bunch of whiny babies about how Howson should have held out for more. I really don't want to defend the guy but he can't win. If he holds out and still ends up with Stepan, Dubinsky, Miller and the 2013 1st from the Rangers is that still bad?

Murray is a great pick and a way to build a winner. The draft is one round into the books and the CBJ has a future defensive pillar. Sexy? no, but it's a great pick, just not the guy you wanted (me either, I wanted Galchenyuk first but this isn't a "train wreck"). You'll be the first one *****ing regardless of what happens with this team. I feel sorry for you. You should take up bird watching or something less stressful. Oops, my bad, those birds were the wrong color....damn angry birds.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:03 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandJacketFan View Post
His best chances for the biggest return died when it was discovered that Nash demanded a trade. After that, GM's have been waiting on Howson to lower the price, because they know Nash wants out and if he waits too long, he may make waves. Luckily, that's only happened once, but sooner or later, Nash is gonna get frustrated and may push his agent to go public once again.
We can say now that it eventually would have come to light that Nash requested the trade, but by my estimation, Howson hurt only himself and the organization with that statement at the deadline presser.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:22 AM
Kev22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Why is this awful? Why has Howson "Pooped his pants again"? Who cares if you want it done? I do too but the last thing I want is a bad deal made because "it needs to happen" and I'm not looking forward to listening to a bunch of whiny babies about how Howson should have held out for more. I really don't want to defend the guy but he can't win. If he holds out and still ends up with Stepan, Dubinsky, Miller and the 2013 1st from the Rangers is that still bad?

Murray is a great pick and a way to build a winner. The draft is one round into the books and the CBJ has a future defensive pillar. Sexy? no, but it's a great pick, just not the guy you wanted (me either, I wanted Galchenyuk first but this isn't a "train wreck"). You'll be the first one *****ing regardless of what happens with this team. I feel sorry for you. You should take up bird watching or something less stressful. Oops, my bad, those birds were the wrong color....damn angry birds.
My comment was not aimed at the pick of Murray, he's a fine pick that will be here for a long time, have absolutely no problem with it.

My comment is regarding his handling of the Nash situation. You can't tell me after SIX MONTHS that there has not been an acceptable deal. This whole saga has become ridiculous. If you don't like my opinion, fine, but don't try to paint this like it's okay because it's not. Unfortunately, we should come to expect this type of ineptitude from this organization. I'm not always one to ***** about this team, but when I see something handled as poorly as this, it's worth complaining about. To me it's become obvious that Nash only re-signed here because he was made promises that they'd get him some help and they have failed him and now he feels he needs to move on and fulfill his goals. No matter how much a player loves a city, if the ultimate goal is to win at the highest level, they'll look elsewhere, it's a constant in professional sports.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:40 AM
EspenK

Out of curiosity how many would have been happy with #8 (Forsberg?) Sutter and whoever the other guy was for Nash?

Basically Pitt traded for two up and comers and a pick.No established star. If Howson was anywhere in this ballpark the deal would have been done long ago.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:53 AM
Matt

Galenchyuk will be a star for Mtl before this kid gets earns a spot in the NHL

Old
06-23-2012, 08:56 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Out of curiosity how many would have been happy with #8 (Forsberg?) Sutter and whoever the other guy was for Nash?

Basically Pitt traded for two up and comers and a pick.No established star. If Howson was anywhere in this ballpark the deal would have been done long ago.
We have to temper that a bit because Staal had one year left on his deal and it was widely known that he wanted to play with Eric. Considering all that, The Pens got a great deal because Sutter immediately steps into Staal's old role, which he's much better suited for than Staal (who's much better than a third liner) is., Jordan Staal has top line center ability and this move immediately makes Carolina an immediate favorite in their division.

My guess is that GM's around the league know what Nash is capable of. The last three seasons have been a disappointment, even for him. The biggest obstacle right now is not that he isn't worth it himself, its that his deal is not great for the future.

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 06-23-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old
06-23-2012, 08:57 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Galenchyuk will be a star for Mtl before this kid gets earns a spot in the NHL
Nash?

Old
06-23-2012, 09:03 AM
Monk

It's looking pretty likely that we have 3 first rounders next year. That's cool.

Old
06-23-2012, 09:19 AM
Socks
SharkCat Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Thanks. I now feel much better not being impressed with the proposal.

What I don't understand is how anyone not playing in the NHL is better than Umberger. Cart before horse.

Meh, whatever..

At any rate, Staal can get moved on a whim for a good return. We can't get jack for Nash. Typical.
That's because we got Jack for Carter.

Old
06-23-2012, 10:53 AM
BoonesJenner

vCash: 250
Idk about you guys but I liked ottawas offer. Hopefully the offers still stands after the 1st.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
Idk about you guys but I liked ottawas offer. Hopefully the offers still stands after the 1st.
As long as Lehner stays in it, that's fine.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:49 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
My comment was not aimed at the pick of Murray, he's a fine pick that will be here for a long time, have absolutely no problem with it.

My comment is regarding his handling of the Nash situation. You can't tell me after SIX MONTHS that there has not been an acceptable deal. This whole saga has become ridiculous. If you don't like my opinion, fine, but don't try to paint this like it's okay because it's not. Unfortunately, we should come to expect this type of ineptitude from this organization. I'm not always one to ***** about this team, but when I see something handled as poorly as this, it's worth complaining about. To me it's become obvious that Nash only re-signed here because he was made promises that they'd get him some help and they have failed him and now he feels he needs to move on and fulfill his goals. No matter how much a player loves a city, if the ultimate goal is to win at the highest level, they'll look elsewhere, it's a constant in professional sports.
Other than the Nash situation not being resolved, what real information do you have that it's being handled poorly?

Certainly you have your opinion, but it seems to me that it's based on layers of guesses and assumptions. Without knowing the dynamics of the situation, I just don't see how you can passionately agree or disagree with how this is going.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:51 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
As long as Lehner stays in it, that's fine.
I'm ok with Bishop as well, but Lehner would be the guy. The Ottawa deal, if true, certainly seems to be awfully good. Hopefully someone else steps up, or both Nash and Howson come to some agreement on this one.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:05 PM
alphafox

Well, I'm just hoping that they can move Nash shortly after July 1st. Bobby Ryan and Staal coming onto the market changed the focus of Philly, Carolina, and NYR. With Stall gone and Parise gone around July 1st the prices will likely be better for the Jackets. My worry is that this will get ugly. I don't think Nash will go heatley or anything but if Howson keeps jerking his chain I can see Nash letting Resnick off his leash. If that happens we'll be lucky to get much more than a bag of pucks.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:06 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
I think he missed his best chance to move him for the highest return. The Staal move really has me thinking too. He, arguably, had a market of one team when he was FA eligible next offseason and the Pens still managed to secure a top ten pick plus one of Carolina's better forwards.

I'm not saying its going to be a significant drop yet, but I think the package Howson gets will have a lot of people scratching their heads when its made.

I'm starting to wonder whether its not just better to try and gamble with Nash being angry and on the roster next season, taking the "C" and telling him not to worry about anything else than scoring points and that, assuming we aren't in a serious playoff race, we will move him at the deadline. Of course, that might make trying to sign FA's very difficult, what are you selling to them when they come in here?
Remember, Carolina was interested in Nash. Are they still? Do they want Nash on a line with one of the Staal's? Would he now be more willing to go there?

Old
06-23-2012, 12:08 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
I'm ok with Bishop as well, but Lehner would be the guy. The Ottawa deal, if true, certainly seems to be awfully good. Hopefully someone else steps up, or both Nash and Howson come to some agreement on this one.
I have yet to see how it's good. Someone needs to explain this to me.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:10 PM
Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I have yet to see how it's good. Someone needs to explain this to me.
Agreed, not terribly thrilled.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:25 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Remember, Carolina was interested in Nash. Are they still? Do they want Nash on a line with one of the Staal's? Would he now be more willing to go there?
Big time gamble.... You'd be banking on Jordan taking considerably less than what he'd command on the open market to stay there.... Of Course, I'd think it would immediately put Carolina in the favorites list to come out of the East next year. Of course, I assumed the reason Rutherford went after Jordan as aggressively as he did was that he realized they were getting Nash after the rumors had them as recent major players in the Nash Sweepstakes.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:45 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Big time gamble.... You'd be banking on Jordan taking considerably less than what he'd command on the open market to stay there.... Of Course, I'd think it would immediately put Carolina in the favorites list to come out of the East next year. Of course, I assumed the reason Rutherford went after Jordan as aggressively as he did was that he realized they were getting Nash after the rumors had them as recent major players in the Nash Sweepstakes.
I think it was always an open secret that Jordan wanted to join his brother and so, even if they didn't think they would get home now, they knew they could get him next year as a UFA. So, if they were going after Nash, they were willing to have both.

They still have $22.5 million in cap room. Depending on what they send back, it is doable, particularly with the cap continuing to increase.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:13 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I think it was always an open secret that Jordan wanted to join his brother and so, even if they didn't think they would get home now, they knew they could get him next year as a UFA. So, if they were going after Nash, they were willing to have both.

They still have $22.5 million in cap room. Depending on what they send back, it is doable, particularly with the cap continuing to increase.
I admit to knowing next to nothing about Carolina and its players. A quick look at their roster didn't reveal any names other than Jeff Skinner who might spark Columbus' interest. What about their prospects?

Old
06-23-2012, 01:17 PM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
I admit to knowing next to nothing about Carolina and its players. A quick look at their roster didn't reveal any names other than Jeff Skinner who might spark Columbus' interest. What about their prospects?
SOme aren't prospects but are young that is playing or have played in the NHL.

Jamie Mcbain (D) but he's offensive and we don't have room for him. Similiar upside to Moore/Savard is my guess.

Justin Faulk (D) I didn't know he was a dmen. Not sure if he is offensive or defensive.

Zac Dalpe (F)

Not sure if any of those guys are great but those were the 3 names that popped into my head.

I honestly hope we get a deal done by July 1st. Not hoping Howson rushes and takes any offer but by having the trade done, Howson can look at the roster and the needs via UFA.

Last edited by punk_o_holic: 06-23-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old
06-23-2012, 01:20 PM
Cash for Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
Other than the Nash situation not being resolved, what real information do you have that it's being handled poorly?

Certainly you have your opinion, but it seems to me that it's based on layers of guesses and assumptions. Without knowing the dynamics of the situation, I just don't see how you can passionately agree or disagree with how this is going.
Well...until the Nash situation is resolved its unfair to really be critical.

But....

Howson did not trade him at the deadline (value wasn't there)
Howson did not trade him at the draft (which is always the best time, said no value)
Howson has now turned to the free agency period (he says there will be better value)
My prediction: (There will NOT be better value at the deadline). No way

He needs a homerun, however he is already down in the count 0-2:, like a pitcher ahead in the count, another GM will have to make a big mistake (overpayment) and throw a meatball right over the plate for Howson to cash in.

Cause once a team like the Rangers acquire Ryan and Parise signs somewhere the demand goes down further to leverage deals.

The sad reality is (I have made this mistake) is Nash isn't worth that much anymore and the best scenario possibly (keeping him) was squandered when the GM opened his piehole at the deadline regarding Nash's request. Dumb....

Old
06-23-2012, 01:28 PM
EDM

I happen to agree that Nash is not really worth what CBJ think he is. He has been coasting since the 2010 season. Yeah, he gets his 30 goals, but he really should be potting 40, dominating teams with his power. But he does not. He coasts quite a bit. Now are teams going to give up 3-4 players for a guy who could be but has been not dominant for the least 3 years? No. We might be able to get a decent 20 goal scorer back, a mid-level prospect and hopefully a first round draft choice. But at this point it seems multiple NHL ready players is a pipe dream.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:35 PM
Cash for Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
I happen to agree that Nash is not really worth what CBJ think he is. He has been coasting since the 2010 season. Yeah, he gets his 30 goals, but he really should be potting 40, dominating teams with his power. But he does not. He coasts quite a bit. Now are teams going to give up 3-4 players for a guy who could be but has been not dominant for the least 3 years? No. We might be able to get a decent 20 goal scorer back, a mid-level prospect and hopefully a first round draft choice. But at this point it seems multiple NHL ready players is a pipe dream.
Yep....which is why I would be fine with Ottawa's Zbad, Folligno, and first rounder (next yr)

If Howson really is all that maybe he could weasel another forward prospect as well (pumpel, Noessen, Silverberg, etc).

I have now realized Howson's demands are a joke as well....Revalation came yesterday at 6:47 PM.

Closed Thread