HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Staal Wars - Episode V: Gronk Strikes Back, Wedding Edition.

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2012, 06:44 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

vCash: 500
If people think Staal turned down a business decision, one in which will dictate his new families life, because he's getting married, you're a fool. We're talking about a dollar amount that holds 7 zeros, two commas, and a period.

In your professional career, if you were offered that kind of a figure the night before you were getting married, would you really be thinking... "hey guys, not now... I'm getting married tomorrow, for christ sake!"

I think not.

Old
06-21-2012, 06:45 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
but he can be traded tomorrow at the draft. If he doesn't want to be bothered with a career defining contract negotiation around his wedding date, he shouldn't have his wedding on the night of the draft.
He probably wasn't thinking of draft days when thinking of a wedding date, it was probably his fiance's idea aswell, he just agreed to it. He also probably would not think of getting a mega deal on the eve of his wedding day. If i was Staal, i'd decline anything Penguins related (except the team for the wedding), and just focus on the wedding first. When it comes to Penguin related stuff, it can wait untill July. IMO, it will be PERFECT for Staal to be traded tomorrow at the draft, why? after the honeymoon, they go to say...Carolina? look for a nice house, and have all offseason to really look for a place. I'm sure they have talked about having a kid or 2, they would need to find a big house with alot of acres for a dog, some kids, a school nearby. I'm gearing for a Staal trade tomorrow, and he should not take it personally...it's a business afterall.

Old
06-21-2012, 06:46 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
Because he's not. For the role he would fill here for the next ten years, and the responsibilities he'll be given and the linemates he'll receive (defensive, 3C with grinders and no top-unit PP time), we can do a Hell of a lot better than $6M/yr.

One thing that's interesting about this is the implication that Shero is willing to throw down huge money and big years for deals. I can see Sid signing one of those insane, retirement contracts. Same with Geno next season.
The other thing-- and maybe it's not a bad thing in the end-- is that the formula for this team changes. No more winger diluted three center model. Now, it's got to be two lines with two good wingers centered by arguably the best player in hockey on each line. I still say that's a tougher matchup for other teams than the winger diluted three center model has been. And, I'll say one further thing: If Dan Bylsma were willing to use Sid and Geno like Sutter uses Richards and Kopitar, then a lot of the reasons to be apprehensive about losing Staal would be mitigated significantly if not offset.

Old
06-21-2012, 06:47 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
If people think Staal turned down a business decision, one in which will dictate his new families life, because he's getting married, you're a fool. We're talking about a dollar amount that holds 7 zeros, two commas, and a period.

In your professional career, if you were offered that kind of a figure the night before you were getting married, would you really be thinking... "hey guys, not now... I'm getting married tomorrow, for christ sake!"

I think not.
Staal will get that kind of money regardless, does not matter that it's today or next week. It's not a once in a lifetime thing, he will get it by the Pens or someone else, he has a whole year to make a decision.

Old
06-21-2012, 06:47 PM
KIRK

Quote:
So if he is going to Carolina, doesn't the 8 pick basically have to be coming back to make it work? That means he will be traded on his wedding day if it happens. At least we probably won't have to wait long. Carolina has to realize that the pick is a huge asset so they will be pushing to get it done asap.
That would be interesting with what I'd assume will be quite a number of his current teammates there . . .

Old
06-21-2012, 06:48 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
The other thing-- and maybe it's not a bad thing in the end-- is that the formula for this team changes. No more winger diluted three center model. Now, it's got to be two lines with two good wingers centered by arguably the best player in hockey on each line. I still say that's a tougher matchup for other teams than the winger diluted three center model has been. And, I'll say one further thing: If Dan Bylsma were willing to use Sid and Geno like Sutter uses Richards and Kopitar, then a lot of the reasons to be apprehensive about losing Staal would be mitigated significantly if not offset.
Agreed on all accounts.

Another silver lining might be that with Staal allegedly on his way out, we now have room for Shero to throw huge dollars at Parise. And I think he will, if Jordan makes it clear he will not sign unless he's moved to Carolina.

Old
06-21-2012, 06:49 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang fan 58 View Post
Staal doesnt fill the role of a #3 centerman. I dont know why people continue to not see this. #3 centermen play 14-15 mins a night and are almost exclusively in a defensive role. Staal has offensive upside and plays over 20 mins a night. 6 mil for him over the next 10 yrs woulda been a great deal imo. If he were UFA it would be the big 3 with Parise Suter and Staal. He would get a contract right in line with them.
No offense, but he can get offers for 7M+, and both he and his agent know it. No reason to sign for that much less with the Pens, none whatsoever. It sucks, but that's the truth of the matter.

Old
06-21-2012, 06:49 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
He probably wasn't thinking of draft days when thinking of a wedding date, it was probably his fiance's idea aswell, he just agreed to it. He also probably would not think of getting a mega deal on the eve of his wedding day. If i was Staal, i'd decline anything Penguins related (except the team for the wedding), and just focus on the wedding first. When it comes to Penguin related stuff, it can wait untill July. IMO, it will be PERFECT for Staal to be traded tomorrow at the draft, why? after the honeymoon, they go to say...Carolina? look for a nice house, and have all offseason to really look for a place. I'm sure they have talked about having a kid or 2, they would need to find a big house with alot of acres for a dog, some kids, a school nearby. I'm gearing for a Staal trade tomorrow, and he should not take it personally...it's a business afterall.
except a lot of potential deals CAN'T wait until july 1st. It's a huge risk to pass up deals right now if he might not be interested in signing here at all. And if he isn't signed on July 1st, it could mess us up a lot as far as free-agent signings. Hossa was the last guy Shero was patient with signing, and it bit him right in the ass. Sure, it worked out in the end but I really think Malone would have been signed in a heartbeat if we knew Hossa was leaving.

Old
06-21-2012, 06:50 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:
Staal will get that kind of money regardless, does not matter that it's today or next week. It's not a once in a lifetime thing, he will get it by the Pens or someone else, he has a whole year to make a decision.
As true as that might be, he's one accident away from never being able to skate/walk/breath again. The only thing certain in life is uncertainty. When someone comes to you offering you 60 MILLION dollars, I really doubt anyone would actually dismiss the business negotiations because of a marriage thats happening tomorrow. At this point, everything wedding related is already planned.

Old
06-21-2012, 06:50 PM
Hophog

Quote:

I think not.
I'd be thinkin. Hmm. I could probably get a better wife with that kind of money

Old
06-21-2012, 06:51 PM
Karnage420

Quote:
this is a very very very overrated post. borderline bad.
sounds like you are butthurt because i dont believe in ****ale. what has he done to prove he is an nhl player? he wins faceoffs and is fantastic at it no doubt. but so was zigomanis.

I'd love nothing more than an actual 4th line. preferably one that dumps and chases rather than passing before the opponents blueline.

our 3rd line will be fine tho.

Old
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
No offense, but he can get offers for 7M+, and both he and his agent know it. No reason to sign for that much less with the Pens, none whatsoever. It sucks, but that's the truth of the matter.
I believe he was implying that $6M/yr for 10 years was a good deal from the Penguins perspective.

Old
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
Which brings this up:

If Staal was willing to sign the 10year, 60M deal and move to wing, would you be happy with it? Is he a 6M/year winger/PKer?

Honest question to all. Don't know how I'd answer it, to be honest.
I'm not happy with him on this team for 6 million dollars, so the rest is moot.

Old
06-21-2012, 06:52 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
I'm sure Burke is all hot and bothered by this news. Bet he called up Shero immediately after this news broke. Pretty sure Staalsy has played his last game in Pitt.

Best case scenerio at this point i guess is that Carolina and Toronto get into a bidding war.
I am fairly certain that Burke is thinking 'he may not be interesting in talking extension off an offer of 6M a year, but I wonder how his attitude would change if he looking at a 7 year, 50M deal and the prospect of centering Kessel and Lupul'.

The only thing I think that changes is that Shero might have to kick back a conditional first for someone like Burke. He's got to make the playoffs next year. Staal helps him do that. Bozak, Kulemin, Ashton or Biggs, 5th overall, 40th overall for Staal, 22nd overall, conditional 2014 1st (depending upon whether Staal resigns) is the ballpark I suspect Shero is thinking.

Old
06-21-2012, 06:53 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
except a lot of potential deals CAN'T wait until july 1st. It's a huge risk to pass up deals right now if he might not be interested in signing here at all.
Personally, if i was Shero? i'd deal him for Crosby's long term life winger. But i'm not a respected GM, hell i'm not even respected in real life. It will leave a hole, but it's a cap world, and i'd want my star C's playing with atleast 1 long term winger, 2? not needed. You'd fill that with a 3rd wheel type, and worry about other needs like a defensive shutdown Dman. I'd try going hard for Suter, also clearing cap space (Martin). Then i'd worry about my bottom 6.

Old
06-21-2012, 06:54 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
As true as that might be, he's one accident away from never being able to skate/walk/breath again. The only thing certain in life is uncertainty. When someone comes to you offering you 60 MILLION dollars, I really doubt anyone would actually dismiss the business negotiations because of a marriage thats happening tomorrow. At this point, everything wedding related is already planned.
True, guess Semin did not get that memo for those 1 year deals.

Old
06-21-2012, 06:55 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnage420 View Post
sounds like you are butthurt because i dont believe in ****ale. what has he done to prove he is an nhl player? he wins faceoffs and is fantastic at it no doubt. but so was zigomanis.

I'd love nothing more than an actual 4th line. preferably one that dumps and chases rather than passing before the opponents blueline.

our 3rd line will be fine tho.
I think it goes beyond your post about Vitale. The entire thing was just plain dumb. Our bottom-6 lost us the series against Philly? Really? Delusional.

Besides, what more do you want from Vitale? He hits like a truck, he is good defensively, he is extremely good at faceoffs, he's young, and he's signed for league minimum. What exactly are you looking for out of your 4th line center? He's basically as good as it gets.

Old
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Personally, if i was Shero? i'd deal him for Crosby's long term life winger. But i'm not a respected GM, hell i'm not even respected in real life. It will leave a hole, but it's a cap world, and i'd want my star C's playing with atleast 1 long term winger, 2? not needed. You'd fill that with a 3rd wheel type, and worry about other needs like a defensive shutdown Dman. I'd try going hard for Suter, also clearing cap space (Martin). Then i'd worry about my bottom 6.
that would pretty much be my ideal too. Though I'd rather get that 2nd top 6 wing than another defensemen. Depending who the winger is too. Another Neal and another Kunitz would be ideal But that's an argument for a different day

Old
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Man... we all still have to go to sleep tonight, fairly early (assuming the rest of you need to wake up early for work), then have a long 8 hrs at work, THEN get home and wait for the draft to start about 24 hrs from now.

This is going to be a long 24 hrs...

((((((((((((((

Old
06-21-2012, 06:57 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Man... we all still have to go to sleep tonight, fairly early (assuming the rest of you need to wake up early for work), then have a long 8 hrs at work, THEN get home and wait for the draft to start about 24 hrs from now.

This is going to be a long 24 hrs...

((((((((((((((
dude it's summer. You should be a teacher.

Old
06-21-2012, 06:57 PM
TravisUlrich

When's the last time a 3-Way Trade was made in the NHL?

Old
06-21-2012, 06:58 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
When's the last time a 3-Way Trade was made in the NHL?
this year. Tampa, Colorado and Detroit. Downie to Colorado, Quincey to Detroit and a first to Tampa.

Old
06-21-2012, 06:58 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Personally, if i was Shero? i'd deal him for Crosby's long term life winger.
Yup. And it doesn't have to be a guy you get in the actual trade for Staal, either. If you trade Staal and free up space, you can go after Parise and sign him to a ten-year deal to play alongside Sid for the next decade. That's what I'd do.

Old
06-21-2012, 06:59 PM
Karnage420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
I think it goes beyond your post about Vitale. The entire thing was just plain dumb. Our bottom-6 lost us the series against Philly? Really? Delusional.

Besides, what more do you want from Vitale? He hits like a truck agreed, he is good defensively not agreed at all. among the worst on the team defensively, he is extremely good at faceoffs absolutely, he's young not important as a fourth liner. fungible as heck., and he's signed for league minimum fair. What exactly are you looking for out of your 4th line center? He's basically as good as it gets..
pretty sure i said they lost it along with MAF. how many times did they dump the puck in the opposing zone during the entire series? how many times did they turn the puck over? not what you want from your energy line in the playoffs. they were pathetic.
remember when craig adams gave the puck away instead of dumping it in? remember when vitale couldnt receive a pass and it lead to the first flyer goal of the series?
its a problem. no one wants to admit it. no clue why.

Old
06-21-2012, 06:59 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I'm not happy with him on this team for 6 million dollars, so the rest is moot.
I'm with you on that.

Closed Thread