HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Was Jurco ever signed?

Old
06-21-2012, 05:28 PM
Dynheart

vCash: 500
Was Jurco ever signed?

Last time I checked they were holding out on the Wings for whatever reason. Did they ever get this deal done? I know they extended the deadline, it was indefinite the last time I looked.

Was the deal ever made, or it still up in the air? I can't find anything at all.

Dynheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 05:31 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

They're waiting on a transfer agreement between his home country and the NHL, since there apparently isn't one in place yet. Once that is settled, then they'll sign him... Guess they don't have a whole lot of time anymore... Forgot it was the end of June.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 05:32 PM
zecke26

all you need is capgeek:

http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=15

he's not yet listed there. so he's not yet signed. haven't heard anything about an agreement between slovakian federation and IIHF either.

so i guess we'll have to wait.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

As per my article on the Red Wings prospects playoffs, he has agreed to terms with the Red Wings. However, they can't file it with the league until the transfer agreement with Slovakia is finalized. This is from his agent directly.

The league has granted an extension to signing him until June 15th. I'll try to follow-up with him after the draft and see if there's anything new.

If I know anything before the word hits mainstream, I'll pass it along.

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Drunkspleen
Face of the company

Why do they need a transfer agreement with Slovakia if the kid was playing in the QMJHL?

Drunkspleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 07:18 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
As per my article on the Red Wings prospects playoffs, he has agreed to terms with the Red Wings. However, they can't file it with the league until the transfer agreement with Slovakia is finalized. This is from his agent directly.

The league has granted an extension to signing him until June 15th. I'll try to follow-up with him after the draft and see if there's anything new.

If I know anything before the word hits mainstream, I'll pass it along.
Mike,

Is that July 15th, or June 15, 2013?

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 08:19 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

@Drunk - I believe it's because Canadian Major Junior hockey is not considered a pro entity, except by the NCAA. A similar situation happened with Dallas prospect Ondrej Roman and his agent (Patrik Stefan, no less) said that he may have to spend a year over in Europe. Which he did.

@HasAnyoneEverToldYou,YouLookExactlyLikeAlPacino - It was June 15, 2012. Whether that's been further extended, I don't know yet. I'll try to touch base with him early next week if possible. Generally speaking, he said, there's something of a moratorium on signing prospects from June 1 - June 30. And said that if he's going to play pro this year in North America, he needs to sign by this deadline (the aforementioned 6/15/12).

- Both the Wings and his agent don't feel that returning to Saint John as an overager will do him any good (I agree, I'm sure you guys do as well, he's passed junior hockey now) - probably not an option.

- I asked his agent if there's a chance he gets "stuck" in Europe this coming season, he basically said that he didn't think so, but didn't rule it out (http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...g-post-seasons).

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 08:32 PM
Drunkspleen
Face of the company

I guess that kind of makes sense, it still seems a bit strange to me though.

News from the start of the month suggested that the league granted an indefinite extensions to signing him at least until shortly after the transfer agreement is sorted out, so it's interesting that you are giving this date of the 15th which you seem to have gotten from his agent, perhaps they see it differently, because they don't want to risk him missing the start of the season.

Drunkspleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 12:02 AM
joe89

Well this was what Jim Nill said June 1st:

Quote:
Today was the deadline to sign Jurco, but it has been extended indefinitely, until the transfer agreement is reached, which should be fairly soon, Red Wings assistant general manager Jim Nill said.
Once the transfer agreement is official, Nill said there will be no problem getting Jurco signed to a three-year entry level contract.
The transfer deal missing is between the IIHF and the Slovak federation, not NHL. Which is likely why he's affected despite being a QMJHL player.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index...._2011_top.html

joe89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 04:57 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Well this was what Jim Nill said June 1st:

The transfer deal missing is between the IIHF and the Slovak federation, not NHL. Which is likely why he's affected despite being a QMJHL player.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index...._2011_top.html
Not at all. They have the wrong info. A while back the Slovak federation released a short statement that they were trying to agree an amendement to the current agreement between them and the NHL (which was agreed a few months back). The article stated that it was what was preventing Jurčo from signing with the Wings.

http://www.hockeyslovakia.sk/sk/clan...-zamorskou-nhl

Sounds like total bollocks about a missing agreement between IIHF and SZĽH. I mean SZĽH is a member of IIHF, do they even need to have a transfer agreement with them? Also, if it was about something with the IIHF it would prevent our players signing contracts everywhere, but all of them except for Jurčo have signed contracts all over the place without any trouble.

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:13 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Are Detroit allowed to basically "sign" him to a team of their choice in europe? For example place him on a SEL/DEL/FEL team and pay his salary like some kind of loan? I mean if they cant sign him for play in NA.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote