HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scott Arniel "Likely" to be named Assistant Coach; debunked by Arniel himself

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2012, 10:57 PM
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways

vCash: 157
brodiebrazilCSN
RT @DMaetzMedia: Just ran into former #CBJ coach Scott Arniel in Pittsburgh. He says reports of his hiring w/ #sjsharks are not accurate.

oy vey?

Old
06-21-2012, 11:00 PM
Iron Chef

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii View Post
brodiebrazilCSN
RT @DMaetzMedia: Just ran into former #CBJ coach Scott Arniel in Pittsburgh. He says reports of his hiring w/ #sjsharks are not accurate.

oy vey?
Hmmmmm

Old
06-21-2012, 11:03 PM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
Quote:
brodiebrazilCSN

oy vey?
That's what they all say before they sign a contract.

Old
06-21-2012, 11:04 PM
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways

vCash: 157
Multi-year contract FTW

Old
06-21-2012, 11:12 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I don't mean to 'keep piling on' but I honestly mean this, how? I mean, maybe he works out, but if you are basing the hiring on things like:

PK coaching... hrm, nope.
PP coaching... again, terrible.
Professionalism... hahaha

If it works out, someone made a seriously impressive gut call, cause the evidence would seem to point to him being the worst possible choice. (among 'qualified people' of course. Any of us would technically be 'worse')
You're also only using a year and a half of body work as a head coach of one of the worst teams in the league in terms of talent. You're also putting the entirety of their failures on him when we both know that responsibilities for particular aspects of the game fall to different coaches. And we're also assuming that his failures as a head coach in that year and a half is some sort of predictor of how he'll handle an assistant job.

The evidence doesn't point to anything as a choice. You don't get to a head coaching position without having some sort of track record to get you the interview, let alone the job.

Old
06-21-2012, 11:16 PM
Rem
I am a ham radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
The evidence doesn't point to anything as a choice. You don't get to a head coaching position without having some sort of track record to get you the interview, let alone the job.
but then...

Old
06-21-2012, 11:33 PM
ChubbChubby
My life is a gym

So DW's brilliant idea to fix the PK is to bring in a guy who coached the team with the worst PK in the league?

Old
06-21-2012, 11:34 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
So DW's brilliant idea to fix the PK is to bring in a guy who coached the team with the worst PK in the league?

Are people really looking at this so simplistically?

Old
06-21-2012, 11:37 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
You're also only using a year and a half of body work as a head coach of one of the worst teams in the league in terms of talent. You're also putting the entirety of their failures on him when we both know that responsibilities for particular aspects of the game fall to different coaches. And we're also assuming that his failures as a head coach in that year and a half is some sort of predictor of how he'll handle an assistant job.

The big thing is Columbus is a complete clusterquack of a team. Case in point, Todd Richards was hired as the head coach WITHOUT anyone being seriously considered, interviewed, etc.

I'm not going to say everything with the CBJ was Arniel's fault, for clearly it is not. But, he did not leave a good impression with me during his tenure, either. I don't think he is head coach material yet. Perhaps his time as an assistant with San Jose or wherever he ends up will do him good, but he has a lot to learn to make himself better.

Old
06-21-2012, 11:39 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
The big thing is Columbus is a complete clusterquack of a team. Case in point, Todd Richards was hired as the head coach WITHOUT anyone being seriously considered, interviewed, etc.

I'm not going to say everything with the CBJ was Arniel's fault, for clearly it is not. But, he did not leave a good impression with me during his tenure, either. I don't think he is head coach material yet. Perhaps his time as an assistant with San Jose or wherever he ends up will do him good, but he has a lot to learn to make himself better.
I would assume he didn't leave a good impression but he's not being asked to be a head coach here so I don't see how he did as one with probably the worst organization to be one should be held against him for an assistant gig especially when it was only a year and a half.

Old
06-21-2012, 11:44 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
I would assume he didn't leave a good impression but he's not being asked to be a head coach here so I don't see how he did as one with probably the worst organization to be one should be held against him for an assistant gig especially when it was only a year and a half.
Depends on what he would be asked to do as the AC. If he's just a figure head to bounce things off of, he might be fine. If he has significant responsibility, then I do feel his tenure with Columbus has to factor in. It just comes down to what T-Mac wants his coaching staff setup to be. I still maintain that Arniel has a lot to learn to be HC material, so depending on how the setup would be with the Sharks, he may be afforded that opportunity to learn.

Old
06-21-2012, 11:54 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Depends on what he would be asked to do as the AC. If he's just a figure head to bounce things off of, he might be fine. If he has significant responsibility, then I do feel his tenure with Columbus has to factor in. It just comes down to what T-Mac wants his coaching staff setup to be. I still maintain that Arniel has a lot to learn to be HC material, so depending on how the setup would be with the Sharks, he may be afforded that opportunity to learn.
All assistants are given significant responsibilities. There's no such thing as a guy that is just a sounding board. But his head coaching tenure in Columbus doesn't negate the experience he has prior to that.

Old
06-21-2012, 11:57 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810

Old
06-21-2012, 11:58 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
All assistants are given significant responsibilities. There's no such thing as a guy that is just a sounding board. But his head coaching tenure in Columbus doesn't negate the experience he has prior to that.
They do exist in sports. See: Dallas Cowboys. (Heck, even the HC there is a puppet!)

Old
06-22-2012, 12:02 AM
KirbyDots

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
James Verger...
Vay...
Vayg...
James!

Love Egoraptor.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:14 AM
one2gamble

and this is why I didnt renew after 18 years....inept management

Old
06-22-2012, 12:16 AM
hockeyball

I hear what you guys are saying, but remember I am the guy who's been saying IT IS in fact McLellan's fault. The buck stops there as it were. I don't care who was coaching what, McLellan was the one who put those people in charge, allowed them to remain in charge, and oversaw the utter failure of a season.

So yes, Arniel is at least, in large part, to blame. Even a poor team can have a good PK. We had a great roster, and our's was terrible. Montreal sucked and had one of the best.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:53 AM
sharski

we NEED a PK coach who is at least above average... "more experience than Woodcroft" and "he's had some success at prior jobs... just disregard his last one" sound like a very, very low bar to set for a new hire

who knows, maybe Arniel isn't the worst PK coach in the league... there's always many variables that go into the PK

but I find it hard to believe that if he was above average at coaching the PK (which is what we're looking for), he'd be able to get more out of his team (no matter how bad it is) than dead last...

Old
06-22-2012, 01:07 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I hear what you guys are saying, but remember I am the guy who's been saying IT IS in fact McLellan's fault. The buck stops there as it were. I don't care who was coaching what, McLellan was the one who put those people in charge, allowed them to remain in charge, and oversaw the utter failure of a season.

So yes, Arniel is at least, in large part, to blame. Even a poor team can have a good PK. We had a great roster, and our's was terrible. Montreal sucked and had one of the best.
Montreal has this guy named Carey Price...the Sharks have Antii Niemi. Not saying that goalies are the be all and end all of the PK but tell me who would you feel comfortable with? And yes we all know you've been blaming TMac for the shortcomings of the Sharks. Its much deeper than just TMac.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:17 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Quote:
Multi-year contract FTW
what I was thinking

Old
06-22-2012, 01:20 AM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Montreal has this guy named Carey Price...the Sharks have Antii Niemi. Not saying that goalies are the be all and end all of the PK but tell me who would you feel comfortable with? And yes we all know you've been blaming TMac for the shortcomings of the Sharks. Its much deeper than just TMac.
It had just as much if not more to do with the defense. Really weak sauce back there... although Stuart does improve things somewhat.' At least he gives the Sharks more options against power forwards

Old
06-22-2012, 01:45 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
It had just as much if not more to do with the defense. Really weak sauce back there... although Stuart does improve things somewhat.' At least he gives the Sharks more options against power forwards
Hmmm I don't know about the defense being "weak sauce"...I thought the forwards were far worse on the PK than the defense were.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:45 AM
Arkansas Shark
Rebuild lol

lol this has to be a joke...

Old
06-22-2012, 09:55 AM
68 Z-28

This board is becoming more and more like the official sharks board.

Old
06-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Ninja Hertl
formerly sharkohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Z-28 View Post
This board is becoming more and more like the official sharks board.
I've noticed the same. Or sharks fans are becoming ultra critical because of the lack of 'expected' playoff success these past few years

The guy said he wasn't hired. Can't believe everything that is said to the media but there it is. Cool the jets for a bit and enjoy the draft.

Closed Thread