HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs 2nd. pick, 35th. overall is: Matthew Finn - Defender

Old
06-24-2012, 09:59 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Don Cherry is very pissed that Rielly is from BC..He likes Matt Finn though.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:36 AM
Pi

vCash: 100

He's got a bomb from the point and he can do this...and he is a smart defenseman.

Yeah I can see why Burke went for D over a forward.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFancyHuh View Post
"Its the GM's job to draft the BPA and trade players for positional need" - BB
He did both (skilled big forward I mean, not a centre which is still a positional need) this weekend. Pretty happy so far, let's see what else he has up his sleeve this summer.

06-25-2012, 12:57 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
Hey just wanna say I love this pick, I was told that if Ceci wasn't available at 15 we might have even taken him then. I think he will really turn out.

Solid draft overall, I like the Reilly pick (Either he or Dumba BPA) and the Rupert pick as well. I don't know many of the other players but I think you guys should be pleased with this crop as a whole.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:00 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post

He's got a bomb from the point and he can do this...and he is a smart defenseman.

Yeah I can see why Burke went for D over a forward.

Fighting Campagna is a joke. Finn should've kicked his ass..

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:09 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Love getting Finn so much, just as many said before, this could be major steal in the draft because I have been Finn very closely prior to this draft and hoped somehow Leafs can get their hands on, and I am glad we did.

Personally, I feel Finn is going to better than both Percy and Gunnarsson because his defensive is very very comparable to them but his offensive game is a level above their's, he is not the best offenisvely but he can certainly play an effective role in offensive situations(PP, rushing up the puck at the time, great first pass out of the zone, solid point shot).

This is the type of prospects u want in your organization because he is got so many great attributes and if I had to compare him to similiar player in the NHL, I would go with poor man's Ryan Suter.

found out a good write up here from a scout:

Quote:
He's the top scoring rearguard on his Guelph OHL team with 33 points in 42 games and is already an assistant captain. Strengths: A competitive, gritty six-foot defenceman with some offensive ability. He cares and he wants to win. He has good hockey sense at both ends of the rink, has decent speed and makes a solid outlet pass. A strong point shot and stellar leadership qualities. Weaknesses – His skating is a little choppy and he gets in a bit of trouble under pressure. Not big enough to be a physical blueliner at the next level. No real standout dimension physically. NHL upside: Lacks the physical tools to be a top-three defenceman, but he may be versatile enough to be Top 4 with some refinement.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:04 AM
67Cup

In the interview on the official site, Dave Morrison talks about wanting a goalie. He also says that a goalie they wanted was taken just a few picks before aLeafs choice. Looking at the draft results, the goalie taken shortly before a Leafs pick was Oscar Dansk at 31 before Finn at 35.

The only other possibility was a Russian goalie in round 7 before Loov, but it isn't as close and, well, he's Russian.

67Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:06 AM
Krylian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Things fluctuate. This time last year, Frk was a top-5 pick, an nobody really heard of Finn.

People have preferences, it doesn't make them stupid. What's stupid, is chastising someone for having an opinion.

Now that's stupid.
If you think Best player available isn't the way to go then I'm glad you're not running my Leafs.

If your issue is that you think my wording is too harsh, then toughen up and don't take things so personally. The point is drafting based on need is stupid (unless you're choosing between two players and it's a coin flip based on ability and projectability...then you can go based on position).

Having an opinion isn't wrong.....that doesn't mean the opinion itself isn't wrong.

Krylian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:27 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
If you think Best player available isn't the way to go then I'm glad you're not running my Leafs.

If your issue is that you think my wording is too harsh, then toughen up and don't take things so personally. The point is drafting based on need is stupid (unless you're choosing between two players and it's a coin flip based on ability and projectability...then you can go based on position).

Having an opinion isn't wrong.....that doesn't mean the opinion itself isn't wrong.
First, he never said anything that disagreed with a BPA drafting strategy. He might have been defending a guy who did, but you're projecting that guy's view on to him and thereby attacking an argument that's not even his. Which is kind of silly. Secondly, unless Morrisson decides to make his rankings public, BPA is purely and inherently subjective, as we saw with Lindholm > Forsberg. So if I say Frk was the best player available at 35, you can't qualitatively refute that and say that my opinion is wrong.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:09 AM
Machinae

Wasn't Stefanovich rated top-10 a year before his draft? Wow did he turn out great.

Machinae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:15 AM
Krylian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinae View Post
Wasn't Stefanovich rated top-10 a year before his draft? Wow did he turn out great.
No. He wasn't.

Old
06-25-2012, 10:19 AM
Krylian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
First, he never said anything that disagreed with a BPA drafting strategy. He might have been defending a guy who did, but you're projecting that guy's view on to him and thereby attacking an argument that's not even his. Which is kind of silly. Secondly, unless Morrisson decides to make his rankings public, BPA is purely and inherently subjective, as we saw with Lindholm > Forsberg. So if I say Frk was the best player available at 35, you can't qualitatively refute that and say that my opinion is wrong.
What are you even arguing?

I never said that there wasn't a forward that was ranked higher or a player that even I preferred. I never said a defenseman or forward needed to be selected. I'm against people who want to select based on position, rather than it being based on where the organization has him ranked, from a player quality standpoint. How many, 'Why didn't we draft a forward/centre' comments were posted on draft day? Too many. Many of these people would've been happier if the team drafted Assclap Johnson - Centre. That's the point.

Why is it difficult to grasp that it's a philosophy that I'm arguing.

Old
06-25-2012, 10:28 AM
Machinae

Quote:
No. He wasn't.
My mistake; he was ranked top 30.

Old
06-25-2012, 10:30 AM
Smif

Quote:
No. He wasn't.
Close enough, he was top 20 at one point.

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:31 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:

Uhhh, toughen up? Your post was ignorant, and name calling is childish. Grow up.

In my opinion, Marty Frk has higher upside, and so does Pontus Aberg. I would've rather seen the forward pick at 35. That's not wrong, that's my subjective opinion.

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:46 AM
Krylian

Quote:
Uhhh, toughen up? Your post was ignorant, and name calling is childish. Grow up.

In my opinion, Marty Frk has higher upside, and so does Pontus Aberg. I would've rather seen the forward pick at 35. That's not wrong, that's my subjective opinion.
Ya...and that's not what I have a problem with. You believe Frk has a higher upside. That's fine. But saying I want a forward just cause I want a forward is dumb.

I didn't call anyone names. I called a thought process stupid.

Nobody seems to get this.

That's fine.

Old
06-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Smif

Quote:

My four picks for our 2nd pick was Aberg / Frk / Collberg and Finn after knowing what was available after Friday night. So I was super happy with the pick, I had never mentioned him as a pick with our 2nd because I thought for sure he was a top 20 pick.

Personal note: My sons name is Finn so I'm gonna order a Winter Classic Finn jersey...gonna be sweet!

Old
06-25-2012, 11:13 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Ya...and that's not what I have a problem with. You believe Frk has a higher upside. That's fine. But saying I want a forward just cause I want a forward is dumb.

I didn't call anyone names. I called a thought process stupid.

Nobody seems to get this.

That's fine.
Well, whatever. There's no need to insult people or their opinions.

I honestly think Finn is just like the Percy pick; a safe one. I respect our scouting staff, and they get paid good money to do what they do, but the safe pick BS has gone on since Morrison has been in charge, and it's starting to get old.

You don't get anywhere by taking the safe pick all the time. You have to take chances at some point, and our staff simply doesn't do that

With that said, I believe if Finn continues on his path of development, having seen him a few times this year, he'll be a fine rearguard, but a bounce-back year by Frk could make this pick look really stupid, really fast.

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:18 AM
Krylian

Quote:

I honestly think Finn is just like the Percy pick; a safe one. I respect our scouting staff, and they get paid good money to do what they do, but the safe pick BS has gone on since Morrison has been in charge, and it's starting to get old.

You don't get anywhere by taking the safe pick all the time. You have to take chances at some point, and our staff simply doesn't do that

With that said, I believe if Finn continues on his path of development, having seen him a few times this year, he'll be a fine rearguard, but a bounce-back year by Frk could make this pick look really stupid, really fast.
I know Burke keeps saying he's not opposed to drafted Europeans, but he really hasn't shown me much to believe it. Sure, we'll draft a token Swede in the 7th round here and there, but, and I don't know the answer to this, has Burke drafted a European player in the Top 4 rounds since coming to Toronto?

Old
06-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Interactif

Quote:

I was shocked Finn was available to us at #35, thought he would go earlier in the 2nd rd. I had him as one of the better defencemen in this draft.

Murray
Rielly
Dumba
Reinhart
Ceci
Trouba
Koekkoek
Finn

I had him inside the first #21 picks. Great pick that will pay dividends in long playoff series, where you can throw him out there to worry free mins. These are the types of guys you win championships and series with.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Machinae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I was shocked Finn was available to us at #35, thought he would go earlier in the 2nd rd. I had him as one of the better defencemen in this draft.

Murray
Rielly
Dumba
Reinhart
Ceci
Trouba
Koekkoek
Finn

I had him inside the first #21 picks. Great pick that will pay dividends in long playoff series, where you can throw him out there to worry free mins. These are the types of guys you win championships and series with.
how much earlier in the 2nd could he have gone lmao

Old
06-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post

Murray
Rielly
Dumba
Reinhart
Ceci
Trouba
Koekkoek
Finn

Where did you have Pouliot, Maatta and Lindholm?

Old
06-25-2012, 11:40 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinae View Post
how much earlier in the 2nd could he have gone lmao
#31 - #34.

Heck, I thought Boston was going to pick him when they went up to draft in the first rd.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:43 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
Where did you have Pouliot, Maatta and Lindholm?
I'm not as familiar with Lindholm as Matta or Koekkoek, but Finn fits in with the latter 2 quite well.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:47 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

I had the D something like this:

Murray
Rielly
Reinhart
Dumba
Pouliot