HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs 2nd. pick, 35th. overall is: Matthew Finn - Defender

Old
06-23-2012, 09:45 AM
OmarSaeed

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
No you're just spot on here. Hating Burke is just soooooo idiosyncratic of you. We're all sheep here.
Well with 45 years without an appearance in the Finals, 8 years without the playoffs, yet still leading the league in merchandise sales, viewership, combined with over 45 straight years of sellouts, and STILL supporting everything Burke does, then yes, you are all sheep here.

OmarSaeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:45 AM
Pierre Gotye

Has Burke finally silenced Cherry and the CBC by drafting two Canadian kids now?

I think this is an insurance pick, Percy has to have injury concerns moving forward.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:47 AM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
Has Burke finally silenced Cherry and the CBC by drafting two Canadian kids now?

I think this is an insurance pick, Percy has to have injury concerns moving forward.
Silenced about 50% of him. Rielly is from BC.

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:48 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarSaeed View Post
Well with 45 years without an appearance in the Finals, 8 years without the playoffs, yet still leading the league in merchandise sales, viewership, combined with over 45 straight years of sellouts, and STILL supporting everything Burke does, then yes, you are all sheep here.
Because boycotting the games and not buying Leafs ball caps is going to turn Tyler Bozak into Claude Giroux and all our problems will be over and there will be lollipops and rainbows for all. Boom. Logic.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PoisonMushroom
I'm a fungi!

Surprised he made it to 35. Sounds like a good pick. Too bad Dansk or Collberg didn't drop to us, but wow do we have some defensive prospects now. Anyone who is complaining about that obviously doesn't understand the business of hockey or how much turnover there will be on our roster in the next 5 years alone.

PoisonMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
He should've already silenced Cherry seeing how he's drafted more Ontario-born players since arriving in Toronto than any other team has.

Kyle Doobas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:50 AM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Not mad or anything but wished we took Kerdiles.

Finn's solid though.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:51 AM
trickster

I am so happy the Leafs did not trade 35 down to get a couple lower picks...
Matt Finn seems to be the straw that breaks the camels back in terms of looking at the Leafs D pool and saying - "not bad" - compared to saying - holy, thats a lot of depth.

I was thinking what another poster already mentioned, that Rielly, Finn, and Percy will all compete to be on team Canada's U20 team. While I think Rielly is a safe bet, it is nice to have other candidates.

With Gardiner just graduating, it is impressive to still have Rielly, Percy, Blacker, Finn, and Holzer on the radar in the next few years... Especially when the current D is not old by any means...

trickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:51 AM
WWB

Quote:
Playoffs?
Man some people just don't get it...I for one would much rather see a long thorough rebuild that produces a legit contender than a stupid 8th seed playoff birth. If the Leafs miss the playoffs again this year does it really matter if they are stock piling young talent and building towards a big picture?? I for one am glad Burke has resisted trading his young assets just to get in the playoffs. I personally can handle a few more years of bad hockey if it means a legit contender. People assume that other teams are looking to trade their good players to the Leafs for the Leafs scraps just because the Leafs fans think deserve everyone else's good players. Playoff contending teams are not built over night. It takes years of patients to rebuild. To everyone who complains about the Leafs drafting defensman I say it takes way longer to develop defenseman than forwards so why not build your defense first then draft and find forwards so all your young players are getting good at the same time? Good job yesterday and today Mr. Burke. I see where you are trying to go with this team!!!

WWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:53 AM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Swag View Post
Don Cherry would be proud!

Sounds like he projects to be Carl Gunnarsson.
To me he doesn't sound like a shut down guy like Gunnar... I see him as similar to Percy. Maybe even a bit better though.

JVReemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 450
What are the chances we see both Rielly and Finn playing for Team Canada next year?

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:56 AM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
What would you suggest then for Burke to do?

Trade every prospect in our system and completely destroying it in the process by trading for a guy who made it clear that he wants to play with his Big Brother when his contract expires?

Trade for an over rated and overpaid winger who averages about 65 points a season with a 7.8 mil per/yr and hasn't led his team or has made it past the 1st round in his 9 years as a NHL player?

Trade valuable assets for a goaltender with a lifetime contract and in which we have the most leverage in getting him next to nothing?

You must be a great poker player.

So tell us genius, what would you do differently than Burke that would make the Leafs a better team for both next season AND in the future???

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:56 AM
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickster View Post
With Gardiner just graduating, it is impressive to still have Rielly, Percy, Blacker, Finn, and Holzer on the radar in the next few years... Especially when the current D is not old by any means...
at the same time Phaneuf and Komisarek's contracts are up.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:58 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
TSN Scout Craig Button:

Sounds like Gunnarsson, no?
Sounds a bit like Sylvain Lefebvre, which I would love. You hardly ever knew the guy was on the ice, in a good way.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:58 AM
Stephen

This is actually starting to be a problem because these guys will have no room to play for the Leafs or Marlies even if they're good enough.

Phaneuf
Gardiner
Rielly
Gunnarsson
Schenn
Franson
Liles
Komisarek
Holzer
Fraser
Blacker
Percy
Finn
Nilsson
Granberg

And do we still go after Schultz?

I can't imagine the Leafs getting proper trade value out of these guys or developing them properly to the point where we can make good hockey deals for quality forwards. This is getting retarded. There's depth but this isn't even useful anymore.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:59 AM
WWB

[QUOTE=Darkhorse1280;51371965]What would you suggest then for Burke to do?

Trade every prospect in our system and completely destroying it in the process by trading for a guy who made it clear that he wants to play with his Big Brother when his contract expires?

Trade for an over rated and overpaid winger who averages about 65 points a season with a 7.8 mil per/yr and hasn't led his team or has made it past the 1st round in his 9 years as a NHL player?

Trade valuable assets for a goaltender with a lifetime contract and in which we have the most leverage in getting him next to nothing?

You must be a great poker player.

So tell us genius, what would you do differently than Burke that would make the Leafs a better team for both next season AND in the future???[/QUOTE]

I want to hear this too...Your answers have to be logical...Kadri for Jordan Staal and such solutions are just not gonna cut it. Your answers have to make sense for everyone involved!!

Old
06-23-2012, 09:59 AM
Raging Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Declinin View Post
He should've already silenced Cherry seeing how he's drafted more Ontario-born players since arriving in Toronto than any other team has.
It has to be players from Ontario. That played in the OHL. If you are awestern boy like Frattin and Colborne and chose to go the college route instead of the CHL, that's a sin in Don's book.

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:00 AM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Declinin View Post
LOL

Brandon Sutter is a quality NHL player, not a fourth-liner on par with any of our Marlies prospects.

Besides, it's not just about beating another team's offer. Staal wanted to go to Carolina to play with his brother. For all we know Burke was interested and would've been willing to give up more for him, but he wouldn't have re-signed here.
The only club that could make that deal was the Canes. Staal made it clear to the Pens he was not interested in committing to them. Watch for Marc to join them at some point. The Leafs never had a shot.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:00 AM
Cool Beans Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
We could potentially have Percy, Finn, and Rielly playing for Canada at the WJ's.
Could be off a year but didn't we have Bell, Colaiacovo and White all on the same team for WJ's? If so, its certainly exciting as 2 of them have had solid careers (Carlo less so, but we don't need to get into that)

Cool Beans Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:01 AM
Dr Swag
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
What are the chances we see both Rielly and Finn playing for Team Canada next year?
Around 71.8%

Dr Swag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:01 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I can't imagine the Leafs getting proper trade value out of these guys or developing them properly to the point where we can make good hockey deals for quality forwards. This is getting retarded. There's depth but this isn't even useful anymore.
See, the trick is to trade the established ones.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:02 AM
Kulemon

Can people **** and stop crying about not picking a forward? This kid was the BPA by far. I personally had him at 13. I honestly think he is a better prospect than Percy and has quite a bit more upside. This guy is a steal. A great character kid and a leafs fan.

The leafs know what they are doing. They probably saw a lot of Finn this season while keeping a eye on last years pick Garret Sparks. He's so good. I'm so happy with this pick.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WWB

Quote:
This is actually starting to be a problem because these guys will have no room to play for the Leafs or Marlies even if they're good enough.

Phaneuf
Gardiner
Rielly
Gunnarsson
Schenn
Franson
Liles
Komisarek
Holzer
Fraser
Blacker
Percy
Finn
Nilsson
Granberg

Yes please go after Schultz...You really think it is a problem having too many D-prospects??? Its a sweet problem if you ask me!!

Old
Ruski

Quote:

Phaneuf
Gardiner
Rielly
Gunnarsson
Schenn
Franson
Liles
Komisarek
Holzer
Fraser
Blacker
Percy
Finn
Nilsson
Granberg

I completely agree! Any GM that looks at our AHL/NHL roster and wants to make a deal, will definitely try and rip us off knowing we need to move "some" defencemen.
How do we get top dollar for some of these guys?

Ruski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:03 AM
HarrisonFord
He's baaaaaack

Is this draft on tv anywhere?

HarrisonFord is offline   Reply With Quote