HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eric Lindros Saga: Lindros "Trade" To Rangers

Old
06-21-2012, 10:54 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
Both Teams got superstar players and each superstar player did amazing things. Forsberg on the Flyers doesn't mean the Flyers would have won the cup. Everything worked out the way it was supposed to. Lindros didn't want to play for Quebec and Forsberg would so they get a cup. Flyers got a superstar player for a handful of years before he turned into a cucumber on ice skates.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:55 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Do you think Quebec won the trade because they got Peter Forsberg in return and he helped them win a Cup?
This should answer all the questions;
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...6/ai_95680465/

They got enough assets to put them over the top and help them buils a strong team that lasted nearly a decade.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:00 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

If the Rangers got Lindros, he would have learned from Messier and the Rangers would have won 2-3 cups in the 1990s. Methinks many here have no idea how dominant a player Lindros was in his first 4-5 years. I don't know if I have ever seen a combination of size, strength and talent. Lindros road kill would be 5-6 opponents a night. The Flyers were like a third world team in the middle 90s -- 5/6 top tier players and 15 journeymen. If he had stayed healthy, there's no telling what his carrer trajectory would have been.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:03 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Why didn't Lindros want to play for the Nordiques?

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:11 PM
NewYorkRangers89*

Lindros is one of my favorite players, i never seen him play but i've watched footage on him and it's pretty sick.

NewYorkRangers89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:14 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Getting rid of Zubov was a huge mistake.If I remember correctly it was a season or two after the Cup and I think we played Philly in the PO's and they pounded Zuby every chance they had.Ranger brass thought he couldn't hold up against physical play.They dealt him.Was that basically it in a nutshell? Can someone jog my memory?
It wasn't just the flyers. Zubov was getting the crap beaten out of him every game. He was wearing down and giving the puck away out of fear of being hit. It became more and more obvious over that season that he was gone. Dallas was able to use him better than the Rangers. I and pretty much all of us don't analyze game films enough to figure out why.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:18 PM
Ross Rhea
Nathan Flomm

Quote:
Why didn't Lindros want to play for the Nordiques?
Quebec is a very small city. If the NHL returned there it would easily be the smallest market in the NHL. Also for all the attention Montreal gets for the francophonic thing, a very small percentage of Quebec City natives are fluent in English compared to Montreal.

Ross Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:26 PM
NewYorkRangers89*

Zubov was really good on Dallas, he isn't the only guy we traded. We also traded Knuble, Zidlicky, Savard, add those guys to the list of lost talent even tho Zidlicky isn't the best, he is still a RH offensive defenseman who can move the puck and we need that right now.

NewYorkRangers89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:28 PM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
Do you think Quebec won the trade because they got Peter Forsberg in return and he helped them win a Cup?
Good point. It's hard to say, but Quebec certainly didn't lose that trade.

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 12:41 AM
mahonistan*

To the person asking if Quebec won... They got Peter Forsberg, Mike Ricci, Ron Hextall, Chris Simon, Kerry Huffman, Steve Duchesne, two first-round picks (one used to select Jocelyn Thibault and the other traded twice, eventually used by the Capitals to draft Nolan Baumgartner). Then through those players, they ended up acquiring Roy, Blake, Tanguay, and Bourque. That trade won them 2 cups.

Did they win in that trade? Is the pope Catholic?

mahonistan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:34 AM
eco's bones

Lindros for several years was literally the best player in the game. Think of a 6'4" 240 lb. combining Crosby like skill and Lucic like toughness. He was a beast if ever there was one. What the Rangers were willing to pay for him may or may not have been too much--I don't know but he had the talent to make other players better--for instance John LeClair was pretty much a 3rd liner in Montreal and Mikael Renberg put up huge numbers on Lindros's line but was ho hum everywhere else.

Lindros and his family were pretty arrogant alright but not anymore than Bobby Clarke--the Flyers GM at the time. My opinion anyway. Eric had the habit of barreling over and through people. He also had the habit of watching the puck too much and/or skating with his head down. That's why all the concussions started--and Clarke and his medical staff were just ****ed up--always trying to rush him back. Those days they didn't have all the testing. You maybe asked the doctor and he'd shrug his shoulders and then ask the player and he'd say 'Okay, I can play'. Keith Jones actually saved Eric's life one night after he got hit so hard a lung collapsed. They were going to put him on a plane to go home. He would have died if they had. That's the Flyers medical staff. That's Clarke too. They never quite get some concepts--like you need goaltending.

By the time he got to the Rangers he already had had about 6 concussions and it seems he got a couple more with us. That had slowed him down. I think he had an awareness at that point that his days were numbered.

As for the original draft day deal--if he'd gone the Rangers way--Messier and Lindros would have been maybe even a more awesome 1-2 combination than Crosby-Malkin. Both Mess and Eric were mean physical players--both had at least as much talent. Throw in guys like Leetch and Graves you would think they'd have won some cups.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 06:09 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
If the Rangers got Lindros, he would have learned from Messier and the Rangers would have won 2-3 cups in the 1990s. Methinks many here have no idea how dominant a player Lindros was in his first 4-5 years. I don't know if I have ever seen a combination of size, strength and talent. Lindros road kill would be 5-6 opponents a night. The Flyers were like a third world team in the middle 90s -- 5/6 top tier players and 15 journeymen. If he had stayed healthy, there's no telling what his carrer trajectory would have been.
In 1992,Leetch and Graves were 22 years old. Richter was 24. Leetch had just won the Norris and Messier won the Hart. They would have still had Zubov coming over to NA from the Unified team. Patrick would have been there. Beukeboom. Nemchinov, Gartner. Turcotte, King. Domi.

I really wanted Lindros. Score put out those special edition Lindros hockey cards. My friends and I went to the local baseball/hockey card store after school to purchase the set just for the Lindros cards. I still have them.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 06:19 AM
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
In 1992,Leetch and Graves were 22 years old. Richter was 24. Leetch had just won the Norris and Messier won the Hart. They would have still had Zubov coming over to NA from the Unified team. Patrick would have been there. Beukeboom. Nemchinov, Gartner. Turcotte, King. Domi.

I really wanted Lindros. Score put out those special edition Lindros hockey cards. My friends and I went to the local baseball/hockey card store after school to purchase the set just for the Lindros cards. I still have them.

I felt the same way about Lindros as you did. I have never seen a player like him before or since. I still have all those cards too. Score even made a Lindros baseball card with him taking BP for the Blue Jays.

Ruotsalainen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 06:30 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Meant his attitude. Arrogant, self entitled whiny brat. It doesn't help that Flyers fans think he's the best thing since sliced bread.
Because he it he best thing since sliced bread. If not for injuries, he'd of been the best player of all time. No one before and since has brought that level of skill and physical play. Howe was close, but Lindros was more skilled.

It's a shame what happened with him.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 07:53 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Because he it he best thing since sliced bread. If not for injuries, he'd of been the best player of all time. No one before and since has brought that level of skill and physical play. Howe was close, but Lindros was more skilled.

It's a shame what happened with him.
Yup. He was what every team wanted and still wants.

My most vivid memory of Lindros on the Flyers is 1997 ECF. He had 79 pts in 52 games that season and went on to snag 26 pts in 19 playoff games.

He single handedly beat the Rangers pretty much, he was all over the place. I can't remember being that afraid of an opposing player before.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 07:57 AM
pld459666

Part of his problem here in NY was the contract he signed.

It was a games played contract that payed him more money baseed on games played.

It incented him to play a soft style. In addition to dealing with the ever lingering cloud of getting another major concussion ending his career, he cnaged the way he played the game and while his first season here was decent. 73 pts in 72 games, the following season saw his talents start to decline.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:05 AM
pld459666

Quote:

I believe I still have a card somewhere that had all four 1st overall picks from NHL, NBA, MLB and NFL from 1991

Eric Lindros - NHL - Quebec (wearing a Flyers Jersey)
Larry Johnson - NBA - Charlotte
Brian Taylor - MLB - Yankees
Russell Maryland - NFL - Dallas

Probably not worth a damn thing.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:13 AM
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I believe I still have a card somewhere that had all four 1st overall picks from NHL, NBA, MLB and NFL from 1991

Eric Lindros - NHL - Quebec (wearing a Flyers Jersey)
Larry Johnson - NBA - Charlotte
Brian Taylor - MLB - Yankees
Russell Maryland - NFL - Dallas

Probably not worth a damn thing.
Ugh. What could have been.......

Ruotsalainen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:14 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Absolutely. Forsberg had a better career than Lindros both in the NHL and internationally. With the first rounder in 1993, the Avs moved the player they picked with Philly's 1993 pick (Joceyln Thibeault) as the main piece in the Patrick Roy trade, who is the greatest goalie of all time.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:16 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
Yup. He was what every team wanted and still wants.

My most vivid memory of Lindros on the Flyers is 1997 ECF. He had 79 pts in 52 games that season and went on to snag 26 pts in 19 playoff games.

He single handedly beat the Rangers pretty much, he was all over the place. I can't remember being that afraid of an opposing player before.
Potsie (RIP) did a good job against Lindros in the playoffs that year but missed a game or two because his mother passed away. The Rangers had no one to stop Lindros. I think that was the series where Messier tried to defend him down low and Lindros just shrugged him off to score a goal.

I had season tickets and would occasionally sneak down to the lower level. One time I sat on the red line about 7-8 rows up against Philly. I never saw two guys fly through the neutral zone like Lindros and LeClair. Maybe it was because they were so big but I would not have wanted to play defense against those guys.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:36 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
Potsie (RIP) did a good job against Lindros in the playoffs that year but missed a game or two because his mother passed away. The Rangers had no one to stop Lindros. I think that was the series where Messier tried to defend him down low and Lindros just shrugged him off to score a goal.

I had season tickets and would occasionally sneak down to the lower level. One time I sat on the red line about 7-8 rows up against Philly. I never saw two guys fly through the neutral zone like Lindros and LeClair. Maybe it was because they were so big but I would not have wanted to play defense against those guys.
I dont think Kapovtsev played at all in the 97 series against the Flyers. Think his mom passed at the end of the Devils series. Sundstrom also got hurt in the Devils series. That play you are talking about with Mess was an empty netter in game 3, and today Lindros would have been called for hooking. He basically hooked mess, slingshotted himself past mess and put the puck into an empty net.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:44 AM
patnyrnyg

Anyone who says they wouldn't have wanted Lindros is either nuts, or just not old enough to remember Lindros in the beginning. He was an absolute monster. Basically, anytime you make a player in video game hockey and you want him to be big, fast, strong, skilled, you are making another Lindros. He was unstoppable. He and Mess would have been a ridiculous 1-2 punch that would have won multiple cups. The only reason they didnt win a Cup in Philly was they never had the goaltending. Clarke was the GM in minnesota when they went to the Finals as a sub-.500 team with John Casey in net. Clarke just didn't believe they needed a stud goalie. Which is strange considering he won 2 cups as a player with Bernie Parent in net, one of the greatest ever in his prime.

Old
06-22-2012, 08:46 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
It wasn't just the flyers. Zubov was getting the crap beaten out of him every game. He was wearing down and giving the puck away out of fear of being hit. It became more and more obvious over that season that he was gone. Dallas was able to use him better than the Rangers. I and pretty much all of us don't analyze game films enough to figure out why.
Yeah, he was getting hammered all year when they played the Flyers, Devils, etc. Wasn't he paired with Derian Hatcher in Dallas? Could be the reason why he became more effective. Just like how Leetch had Beukeboom.

Old
06-22-2012, 08:46 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
Would we have still won the cup??
Hard to know. Kovalev was key in game 6 and throughout the playoffs. Amonte was traded to get Matteau, Weight was traded for Tikkanen, and Patrick was traded to get Larmer. Beezer also got the Rangers Doug Lidster.

All players who played an important part in the Rangers success in 1994.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:51 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Neil Smith was negotiating with Pierre Page. I saw this earlier today. Smith said he was sick of dealing with the Lindros stuff. His bosses were more interested in Lindros than he was. TSN did not mention that but that was feeling at the time. Marcel Aubut was negotiating with the Flyers. Rick Curran was fired about the Lindros family after the trade was completed. That family was a pain in the ass. The Flyers got sick of them. Sather traded for him. The Lindros family was a pain in the ass here too.
Pain in the ass? You mean, they were looking out for their sons best interests? There is a problem with that? It is a business first and foremost. Anyone out there you trust more than your parents? If I was touted as the Next One, you can bet your bippy my parents would make sure I got what was best for me.

someone mentioned brien taylor. remember, the yankees came to him and it was his mother who said, "$1.5MM or he is going to college" and closed the door. They offered I believe $.5MM and she stood her ground. He got his money, got hurt and couldn't play. But guess what, his mother is the reason he got that money. You think the Yankees would have still taken care of him after he got hurt?