HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

My Mock 1.0

Old
06-03-2012, 09:21 PM
WJC_Fan

vCash: 500
My Mock 1.0

Here is my draft. I may do an update in about a week.

2012 NHL Mock Draft
1) Edmonton: Nail Yakupov. Edmonton needs defense since they already have several young stars at forward. Trading down to two with Columbus makes sense for Edmonton but I cannot see how Columbus can with their total lack of organizational depth. Futhermore, Klefbom, Marincin, and Musil are coming soon so maybe the defensive need is not as severe as some think. Edmonton stands pat and takes the best player in the draft
2) Columbus: Ryan Murray. As for moving down, this is the most likely team to want to move down. The Islanders may want to move up. It would make a ton of sense to me. David Savard is Columbus’ top prospect per Hockey’s Future. That is not good when you have the worst record and also a horrible prospect list. This pick could change if/when Nash is dealt. I would consider Forsberg here too.
3) Montreal: Mikhail Grigorenko. Montreal desperately needs size down the middle. This is not the draft to have a need like that because the only two players that fit that bill are huge question marks. Unbelievable offensive skills and a total lack of interest in the defensive zone. If the compete level can be increased, he will be an excellent pick. Some will say Galchenyuk but I am staying with Grigorenko today.
4) NY Islanders: Jacob Trouba. The Isles are strong at forward and just need to decide which defender they prefer. To me, Trouba fits best. He can move the puck yet still has the size to not be a defensive liability. Trouba has been a real late climber to me as he seems to be gaining momentum. The Islanders are not far away from being a really good team.
5) Toronto: Alex Galchenyuk. Another team that has a glaring need. Toronto gets the other big center with question marks. Supremely talented but must overcome tentativeness. Most likely an impact player down the line. Toronto will take Grigorenko if Montreal takes Galchenyuk.
6) Anaheim: Filip Forsberg. Anaheim lands my third rated prospect. Organization needs grit/toughness to play in the top six. Forsberg reminds me of Andrew Ladd. He will be a perfect fit for them. Other options include taking the best defender available even though I do not see it as big as a need.
7) Minnesota: Griffin Reinhart. Another team that has a lot of pieces coming to the NHL soon. Their defensive depth is a mess though. Really could use top-four defenders. Reinhart is a little safer than the other potential picks.
8) Carolina: Teuvo Teravainen. Defensive depth is tremendous and they are set in goal. Top-six forwards are a mess. Skinner, Staal and then who?? Maybe Dalpe but his performance this year makes me skeptical. Teravainen is a potential offensive dynamo. He may be a top-liner and just what Carolina needs. I could see Carolina moving down since there are two defenders that are starting to slide a little.
9) Winnipeg: Morgan Rielly. Could use a forward but there is also a need for a puck-rushing defender. Rielly fits the bill. I could see Faksa here too but I think the bigger need is on the back end.
10) Tampa: Matt Dumba. The slide ends for Dumba!! A player of his size that patterns his game after Dion Phaneuf may not cut it at the NHL level. However, he is competitive and has skill to go along with the physicality. Will prove that nine other NHL GM’s were wrong.
11) Washington: Radek Faksa. While I have a couple of prospects rated higher, I see this as a player that fits the Washington need. They are trying to add size and grit. Smart winger/center that will be a complementary scorer that makes good decisions. I think that Washington still has enough defensive depth even if Wideman leaves.
12) Buffalo: Sebastian Collberg. Defense seems to be strong enough at the pro level that they can afford to aim high for a boom/bust offensive player. Best offensive player left at this point of the draft.
13) Dallas Stars: Cody Ceci. Size and mobility make this player a good fit that could move up on draft lists. Big but not overly physical. Dallas gets good value at a position of need.
14) Calgary Flames: Hampus Lindholm. Woeful defense prospects. Calgary needs defensive zone prospects. Hampus is the best one remaining. Safe pick that should top out as a top-four
15) Ottawa: Derrick Pouliot. Ottawa has a ton of offensive prospects but after moving Rundblad, there is not a ton of upside potential. Team finds a power play partner for Karlsson after Gonchar moves on.
16) Washington: Brendan Gaunce. Another big forward. Gaunce would make a perfect 3rd line center for this team. Could look defense here too as Maata is starting to be in a place where he should get drafted.
17) San Jose: Nicolas Kerdiles. A woeful minor league system and an aging roster. San Jose is deep in goal but that is about it. San Joses takes the BPA. Hard worker. Most likely tops out as a top-six winger
18) Chicago: Olli Maata. I know that this is late for most mocks but I think that he slides due to a prior concussion and underperformance offensively during the regular season. Chicago may consider a goaltender here too but to me, it is a little early. Chicago adds a top-six guy that may have offensive potential
19) Tampa Bay: Andrei Vasilevski. A little early for a goalie but it is a glaring need for Tampa. Vasilevski seems to have the highest upside of the goalies, ahead of Subban and Dansk to me. If not the goalie, one of the forwards (Aberg, Girggensons, Sissons).
20) Philadelphia: Matthew Finn. Nice youth at forward but defense could be a wreck with Pronger, Carle, and Timonen. I cannot see them going goalie either. Finn could fit in pretty quick. After Gustaffson, I am not sure if they have another top-six prospect in the system. Skating and strength need to improve.
21) Buffalo: Colton Sissons. Buffalo took the small forward and now adds some grit. Sissons can be a fore-checking demon. Good leadership qualities. The kind of player that you win with. Not a high upside for scoring but if he is on the wing of smaller forwards(Ennis, etc.), he could be successful
22) Pittsburgh: Pontus Aberg. This pick was the hardest of the first round for me. After seeing the playoffs, I think that it is time to start grooming a goalie. I do not see any goalie of the future. Secondly, the Pens still can use wing help for their top three centers. I could see them using this pick to deal for a future #1 goalie (Bernier?) or just taking Dansk even though, I think that it is a little high here. I went with a speedy winger that sure would look good playing with either Malkin or Crosby.
23) Florida: Zemgus Girgensons. A tremendous amount of depth in the organization. The deepest prospect actually is able to land a player at their biggest need. Another up and down wingers. Not sure of his hockey sense but he has a ton of winning qualities. Fits with the tremendous talent in the pipleline
24) Boston: Slater Koekoek. Boston has a couple of high-end prospects but besides from Hamilton, the defense is a little lacking. Chara is not getting younger and they will need to start thinking about replacing his minutes. I think that he would go much higher if not injured. Looked really good prior to the injury. Two-way defender will join ranks soon.
25) Saint Louis: Tom Wilson. In full disclosure, I am a Blues’ fan. I make this pick thinking what would help narrow the gap between the Kings and Blues. I saw the Blues get physically dominated at forward and defense. I do not see a defenseman that fits the bill. Hertl would be a good pick but the Blues have other offensive players coming very soon(Schwartz and Tarasenko). I could see the Blues considering a goalie but they like Allen. In two years, Wilson would fit nice on the third line with players like Steen.
26) Vancouver: Tomas Hertl. This team lacks depth on wing and center. Hertl could play both. Not the greatest skater but should fit in well with the top six giving Vancouver another scoring option.
27) New York Rangers: Oscar Dansk. I would be surprised if New York still has this pick by the time the draft rolls around. I think that they are the most likely to land Nash and need him more now that Gaborik is out. Sorry Columbus but you will not be getting Kreider or McDonaugh. I see some sort of package like Dubinsky, Mcilrath, and a First. If Columbus gets this pick, I think that they take Dansk also.
28) Phoenix: Malcom Subban. This team is stacked with defenders but lacking in goal and have a lack of forwards at the prospect level. If they go forward , then Matteau is the most likely choice.
29) New Jersey – Forfeit the pick
30) Los Angeles: Stefan Matteau. Fits the typical Kings forward. Big and strong. Defense is aging so they could go with a pick like Thrower or Bystrom.

That's it for now.

WJC_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 10:42 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Any time I get a draft that has us taking Galchenyuk or Forsberg I'm a happy man. Would love to see

Smith Pelly-Getzlaf-Perry
Etem-Forsberg-Ryan
Rakell-Holland-Palmieri
Beleskey-Bonino-Friberg

one day.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 10:57 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Fine with Ceci.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

I'm happy with my Leafs taking Galy, just wondering if he makes it past Montreal.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 11:10 PM
grits207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessely Snipes View Post
I'm happy with my Leafs taking Galy, just wondering if he makes it past Montreal.
I'd be happy with either Galchenyuk or Grigorenko but I'm hoping Montreal takes Galchenyuk so we can get Grigorenko. Both are certainly risky picks but a guy who struggled while apparently playing with Mono scares me a hell of a lot less than a guy who missed a year of development due to a knee injury.

grits207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 07:01 AM
WJC_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessely Snipes View Post
Good question! A lot of people seem to be downgrading Grigorenko and Galchenyuk is moving up a lot of lists. It will be interesting to see what Bergevin decides

Old
06-04-2012, 10:37 AM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJC_Fan View Post
Good question! A lot of people seem to be downgrading Grigorenko and Galchenyuk is moving up a lot of lists. It will be interesting to see what Bergevin decides
Which is weird coming from a fan of Galchenyuk since his rookie year. Grigorenko still played at a 100 point pace despite injuries and illness and somehow he lost the top center spot to a guy who didn't play any (almost any) hockey.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Which is weird coming from a fan of Galchenyuk since his rookie year. Grigorenko still played at a 100 point pace despite injuries and illness and somehow he lost the top center spot to a guy who didn't play any (almost any) hockey.
agreed

Musashi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:45 PM
ponokanocker

Nice list and explanations. As good as any that I have seen. Trouba is a bit of a shocker, but there are always surprises at the draft.

ponokanocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:57 PM
Ace Dreamer

Quote:
Any time I get a draft that has us taking Galchenyuk or Forsberg I'm a happy man. Would love to see

Smith Pelly-Getzlaf-Perry
Etem-Forsberg-Ryan
Rakell-Holland-Palmieri
Beleskey-Bonino-Friberg

one day.
man, that would be scary for opposing defense and goalies

Ace Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 08:56 PM
WJC_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
Nice list and explanations. As good as any that I have seen. Trouba is a bit of a shocker, but there are always surprises at the draft.
Thanks! I like Trouba and he seems to be gaining momentum as the draft gets a little closer. I think Dumba, Trouba, Reinhart, and Reilly are all pretty close and I think that it will depend on what each team drafting needs determining where they go.

I think that I might do another one with a few changes. Two things that I might change is 1) What happens if Columbus goes Forsberg instead of Murray; 2) If Dumba does not slide, how does that change it up? I really think that picks 2-10 are going to be really interesting this year!!

Old
06-06-2012, 09:51 PM
bigfatfist

Completely agree with your explanation for Ottawa, but surprised at Pouliot over Maatta. Wonder how much of Maatta's regular season 'under performance' was simply adjusting to life in a new country and playing on the smaller ice. He was ridiculous in the playoffs!

bigfatfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Will punch a kitten if Buffalo's 1st round haul is Collberg and Sissons.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 06:58 AM
HoseEmDown

Would be happy and shocked if Dumba falls to us at 10, do not want a goalie at 19, rather take Dansk in 2nd.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:29 AM
WJC_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatfist View Post
Completely agree with your explanation for Ottawa, but surprised at Pouliot over Maatta. Wonder how much of Maatta's regular season 'under performance' was simply adjusting to life in a new country and playing on the smaller ice. He was ridiculous in the playoffs!
Even when I did the mock, I agree that maybe Maata could/should go higher. I went with Pouliot because I think that he has a little more offensive upside but Ottawa surely could not go wrong with Maata either.

Old
06-07-2012, 07:36 AM
WJC_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
Would be happy and shocked if Dumba falls to us at 10, do not want a goalie at 19, rather take Dansk in 2nd.

Surely cannot argue with Tampa not taking a goalie at 19 because I do think that it is a little high. I could see them or Chicago at 18 taking the first goalie. As I did the draft, I saw a stretch from 27-35 that really has the potential to be a goalie run. Phoenix, Rangers, Columbus, and Edmonton all really could use a goalie. It would not shock me if the Isles or Leafs are considering one either. I am not sure if Dansk is going to make it through that stretch of teams. If Tampa does not take a goalie, I could see them targeting Murray with pick #40.

Old
06-07-2012, 09:31 AM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJC_Fan View Post
Surely cannot argue with Tampa not taking a goalie at 19 because I do think that it is a little high. I could see them or Chicago at 18 taking the first goalie. As I did the draft, I saw a stretch from 27-35 that really has the potential to be a goalie run. Phoenix, Rangers, Columbus, and Edmonton all really could use a goalie. It would not shock me if the Isles or Leafs are considering one either. I am not sure if Dansk is going to make it through that stretch of teams. If Tampa does not take a goalie, I could see them targeting Murray with pick #40.
I'm not sure how high Tampa scouts are on the goalies, would think not high enough for 19 but could trade back from there or trade up from the 2nd. I can see the 37th+40/50 getting us into late 1st.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:42 AM
CaptPantalones

I dont mid Scissons, but I dont think Collberg is anywhere near Buffalo's radar at 12. ESPECIALLY if both Ceci and Grigensons are on the board at 12.

But if the rest of your mock plays out, Buffalo would likely get both players and id be dancing in the streets

CaptPantalones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:17 PM
WJC_Fan

Posting my 2nd attempt
right now!!

Old
06-22-2012, 03:21 AM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Scouts don't view the OHL and the QMJHL as equal leagues i think. They value the OHL a step above the Q and it feels the WHL is even higher than the Q. Not my opinion but this appears to be a consensus amongst scouts.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote