anatsu
twitter: @finanatsu

vCash: 500
Forgot to mention that two "sleepers" in draft whom I would like to get:

Nikolai Prokhorkin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUgrSf8VIm8

Joonas Donskoi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNPR5tIL4Q8

Have a nice draft day all, try to watch it if I find a good stream.

anatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:23 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 200
I would be happy with any of:
  • Faksa
  • Trouba
  • Reinhart (though it looks like he's moving up the rankings)
  • Grigorenko (I still can't believe that he's fallen to the mid teens - I wonder what the scouts are seeing that we're not? Dude was injured, then suffered with mono, and still scored at almost a PPG during the playoffs )
  • TT (a little lower on my own personal list - great talent, but as much of a "need" for this position right now)

There are other players I'd love to see on the Jets as well, but I'm positive they'll be gone by the 9th pick.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:42 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatsu View Post
Forgot to mention that two "sleepers" in draft whom I would like to get:

Nikolai Prokhorkin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUgrSf8VIm8

Joonas Donskoi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNPR5tIL4Q8

Have a nice draft day all, try to watch it if I find a good stream.
Prokhorkin has been on the radar for some time (2nd-3rd rounder). He's currently ranked 9th amongst Euro skaters. Joonas Donskoi was a Florida pick back in 2010. He's a currently 20 years old, but he does still have upside, so I'm not sure why Florida would not sign him and let him re-enter the draft.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 06:29 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Here's how I think the teams ahead of us are going to draft tomorrow:

1) Edmonton: Nail Yakupov (Tambellini confirmed earlier today that they're taking the "consensus #1" player)
2) Columbus: Ryan Murray (second best player in the draft after Yakupov)
3) Montreal: Alex Galchenyuk (Montreal gets the big center they need)
4) New York: Griffin Reinhart (I think they want a defenseman and Reinhart's stock has risen big time)
5) Toronto: Filip Forsberg (He's the best remaining forward excluding Grigorenko, who I can't see Burke taking anyways)
6) Anaheim: Jacob Trouba (They take a lot of players out of the USHL/NCAA and with Schultz gone, I think they'll take a defenseman)
7) Minnesota: Teuvo Teravainen (Imagine Teravainen and Granlund playing together both on the Wild and international tournaments throughout their careers)
8) Carolina - Radek Faksa (They'd take a Kitchener Ranger for the third straight year)

That would leave the Jets with Rielly, Grigorenko, Dumba, Girgensons, Lindholm, etc.
And then Chevy goes off the board and picks someone projected to go in the mid 2nd round

If for some miracle Grigorenko is still there at 9th I don't think I will be able to breath until Chevy calls his name. He could turn out to be exactly what we need so desperately.

Realistically I hope they pick Faksa.

KingBogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 06:31 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

The ideal draft I'd like the Jets to have...

1 (9) Jacob Trouba - RD - 6'2" 193 lbs USNTDP committed to Michigan
2nd: Radek Faksa - C - 6'3" 202 lbs Kitchener (OHL)
3rd: Teuvo Tervainen - LW - 5'11" 165 lbs Jokerit (SM-Liiga)

2 (39) Jarod Maidens - C/LW - 6'0" 178 lbs Owen Sound (OHL)
2nd: Scott Kosmachuk - RW - 6'0" 185 lbs Guelph (OHL)
3rd: Tim Bozon - LW - 6'0" 183 lbs Kamloops (WHL)

3 (70) Sam Kurker - RW - 6'2" 198 lbs St.John's prep (HS) committed to Boston U
2nd: Brian Hart - RW - 6'2" 216 lbs Exeter (HS) committed to Harvard
3rd: Dylan Blujus - RD - 6'3" 193 lbs Brampton (OHL

5 (130) Matej Baren - C - 6'4" 211lbs P.E.I (QMJHL)
2nd: Jon Gillies - G - 6'5" 210 lbs Indiana (USHL) committed to Providence
3rd: Branden Troock - RW - 6'2" 174 lbs Seattle (WHL)

6 (160) Chris Dreidger - G - 6'3" 190 lbs Calgary (WHL)
2nd: Chris Tierney - C - 6'0" 181 lbs London (OHL)
3rd: Jaynen Rissling - LD - 6'4" 223lbs Calgary (WHL)

7 (190) Evan McEneny - LD - 6'2" 205 lbs Kitchener (OHL)
2nd: Richard Ullberg - G - 6'3" 185 lbs Saipa (SM-Liiga)
3rd: Alex Gudbranson - RD - 6'2" 206 lbs Kingston (OHL)

I know some are a bit optimistic (fallers)and others could be considered reaches, but it's all in good fun. I also think the Jets could possibly move around like they did last year in the middle rounds (3-5). There's a big cap between picks 70 and 130.

Old
06-22-2012, 06:32 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan815 View Post
My ideal first round picks (in our range)

Tuevo Teravainen
Morgan Reilly
Grigerenko
Radek Faksa
Matt Dumba

Size is being overrated and overhyped by alot of people. I think there's a very good chance that either Reilly or Teravainen will be there at 9 and if we pass up on them I will supremely disappointed
Meh, Teravainen is a nice pickup, I won't be disappointed, but probably not all that happy either. Reilly is too one dimensional, would not be happy with that pick at all.

I don't think size is overrated so much as people are looking for players that have complete packages, as in drool worthy upsides. Guys like Faksa, Reinhart, Trouba even Girgensons have the potential to be dominant players in both zones, guys that you can build your team around. Teravainen is a nice piece, has loads of offensive potential, but is a one dimensional player with Patrick Kane/Ray Whitney type upside...which is great, but when guys have Anze Kopitar, Shea Weber lite, Chris Pronger lite, and Rod Brind'Amour you take the later guys everytime, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Prokhorkin has been on the radar for some time (2nd-3rd rounder). He's currently ranked 9th amongst Euro skaters. Joonas Donskoi was a Florida pick back in 2010. He's a currently 20 years old, but he does still have upside, so I'm not sure why Florida would not sign him and let him re-enter the draft.
Could be any number of reasons FLA failed to sign Donskoi. Donskoi may not have wanted to come to NA. FLA may not have liked him enough to sign. Donskoi may not have felt he had a good chance in the FLA system, wanted to try somewhere else. FLA may not have offered enough money. It's impossible to know.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 06:35 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

DRAFT DAY!!! My favourite of the 3 NHL holidays (Trade Deadline and July 1 being the others). I am huge draft junkie (which is how I found out about hf in the first place), cannot WAIT until the draft starts. I think everybody knows who I want, if not it's in my sig

RADEK FAKSA. Time to join the Winnipeg Jets

Old
06-22-2012, 06:42 AM
anatsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Could be any number of reasons FLA failed to sign Donskoi. Donskoi may not have wanted to come to NA. FLA may not have liked him enough to sign. Donskoi may not have felt he had a good chance in the FLA system, wanted to try somewhere else. FLA may not have offered enough money. It's impossible to know.
I think some thing was there that Donskoi wanted still play in the SM-liiga, but FLA wanted him to come over.

Old
06-22-2012, 06:47 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatsu View Post
I think some thing was there that Donskoi wanted still play in the SM-liiga, but FLA wanted him to come over.
Do you know if anything has changed in his stance?

Old
06-22-2012, 06:48 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
DRAFT DAY!!! My favourite of the 3 NHL holidays (Trade Deadline and July 1 being the others). I am huge draft junkie (which is how I found out about hf in the first place), cannot WAIT until the draft starts. I think everybody knows who I want, if not it's in my sig

RADEK FAKSA. Time to join the Winnipeg Jets
Draft day is by far my favorite day(s). It's how I heard about these boards also.

Old
06-22-2012, 06:50 AM
Active Puck
STREAMERS!

vCash: 50
Dumb question but is the top 10-12 a lot more deeper than normal? Seems like there's some really good players this year.

Active Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 06:56 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active Puck View Post
Dumb question but is the top 10-12 a lot more deeper than normal? Seems like there's some really good players this year.
Weak year actually, but the real drop off is at about 12. The top 12 aren't too too bad in terms of other years (but still not as good as most, IMO and most others opinions from what I've seen), but the dropoff at 12 makes it a bad draft. Worst for depth easily since I have been a serious draft follower (2005).

Old
06-22-2012, 06:56 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active Puck View Post
There's talk about a drop off around that area. A lot of similar talent/upside in the group after Yakupov.

Old
06-22-2012, 06:59 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Weak year actually, but the real drop off is at about 12. The top 12 aren't too too bad in terms of other years (but still not as good as most, IMO and most others opinions from what I've seen), but the dropoff at 12 makes it a bad draft. Worst for depth easily since I have been a serious draft follower (2005).

This is true. The drop in depth seems to happen in the early third of 2nd round IMO. We should still get a quality prospect at 39, so that's a good thing.

Old
06-22-2012, 07:13 AM
Active Puck
STREAMERS!

Thanks for the responses guys. Just looks like there could be 3, maybe 4 decent picks when it comes our turn and that's pretty cool.

Active Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 07:29 AM
anatsu

Yeah this is a pretty weak draft, next year is another story then. 2013 should be a wonderful draft year. Also many finns there going on the top, Barkov, Ristolainen and Ikonen, for example.

Old
06-22-2012, 08:08 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

So if Grigorenko is still available when we draft at no. 9, how many would want him?

Me personally? even at 9 overall, may be worth a shot. Talented kid, gotta give him a lot of credit for coming over and playing in Canada. He has his critics, and he may not pan out, but if he does... he could be a gem. However, at the end of the day I do not see management making Grigorenko their selection.

Lawless believes it's either Faksa or Ceci. I mentioned Ceci a couple weeks ago, and I honestly think he would be a very good pick at no. 9. People see his numbers and think he's simply an offensive defenseman, when in truth he has a pretty solid all-around game. I would be very happy with Cody Ceci, very happy. I am of the opinion that Ceci is one of the more advanced and ready prospects in the draft, and I think his game is more all-around than many other defenceman at this current stage.

As for Faksa, I'd be thrilled with him. I just don't know if he's going to get by Carolina t the no. 8 spot. They love their Kitchener Rangers as they've selected them in the last 2 drafts - Skinner (2010) and Murphy (2011).

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:12 AM
heilongjetsfan

to me I'd like the plan to go like this:

-Grigorienko -if he's still available, he's by far BPA.
-Teravainen -seems big enough to not be getting questioned on his size. sure can't question his hands or his vision.
-Trouba -my favourite of the Dmen after Murray who will definitely not be available. I don't think defense is our biggest concern right now, but if Grigs and TT are both gone, he could still be around.
-Faksa -the whole leaving home at 11 thing shows a lot of dedication. That said, I still think one of the 3 above are going to be there when KC climbs the steps.

As for pick 39 I'd really like to see them pick up Tanner Pearson. He's had a great year in Barrie, and we've already got 3 others who came out of the Colts system. Why not 4?

In closing, these next 10 hours are going to be tough to wait through, but I'm on Beijing time so I can sleep through most of it (hahaha!). As long as Cheveldayoff doesn't call out Dumba's name I'm a happy guy!

heilongjetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:18 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
So if Grigorenko is still available when we draft at no. 9, how many would want him?

Me personally? even at 9 overall, may be worth a shot. Talented kid, gotta give him a lot of credit for coming over and playing in Canada. He has his critics, and he may not pan out, but if he does... he could be a gem. However, at the end of the day I do not see management making Grigorenko their selection.

Lawless believes it's either Faksa or Ceci. I mentioned Ceci a couple weeks ago, and I honestly think he would be a very good pick at no. 9. People see his numbers and think he's simply an offensive defenseman, when in truth he has a pretty solid all-around game. I would be very happy with Cody Ceci, very happy. I am of the opinion that Ceci is one of the more advanced and ready prospects in the draft, and I think his game is more all-around than many other defenceman at this current stage.

As for Faksa, I'd be thrilled with him. I just don't know if he's going to get by Carolina t the no. 8 spot. They love their Kitchener Rangers as they've selected them in the last 2 drafts - Skinner (2010) and Murphy (2011).
I like Ceci, but I question his confidence level. I saw an interview with him where he was embarrassed about telling people that he played the piano (teased about it). Whereas our 4th round pick last year Yuen was quite confident and proud of his piano skills. I know it's only one interview, but I still question it. A leader doesn't care what others think, followers do IMO. I wonder how his interview with the Jets went?

Old
06-22-2012, 08:25 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 200
Quote:

(...)
Possibly just my opinion, but if he's still there at #9, I think you really have to consider taking him. He has fantastic skill, and very good size. He fits a need that the team has and will have over the next couple of years, which is centre. Faksa may have a better overall game, or better character, or ??, but I believe he lacks Grigorenko's skill level.

It's possible that he doesn't meet some of TNSE's requirements in certain areas, but talent level wouldn't be one of them, IMHO.

That said, I would also be happy with Faksa at #9, if he's there - seems like a very well rounded player. Was always impressed with his offense AND defense when I watched Rangers games.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:53 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Given what sounds to be our 3 targets - Faksa, Trouba and Ceci, I'd be thrilled with either one of them.

Here is the analysis (By Craig Button) and Bob McKenzie's rankings on these 3 players.

Quote:
9. Jacob Trouba - Jacob is an initiating player who takes charge. It begins with an intense desire to impact the game in some way. He takes charge of situations and if an opponent is not prepared to commit 100% versus him, he will find himself falling short. He is a very strong skater, with excellent balance & this allows him to jump into the attack and move up ice but it also allows him to deliver bone jarring hits as well as fend off opposing checks. With his size and skating combination, he's a very difficult player to break down defensively and to gain the upper hand on. Very good understanding of the game and his awareness and poise allows him to make strong plays under pressure. He moves the puck well and can make plays offensively but his best offensive weapon is a heavy shot that can overwhelm goalies and creates challenges for them in terms of corralling it. He thrives in the competitive moments and the bigger the game, the better he is. He plays to win and there is no sacrifice he won't make in the game to help his team win.
Quote:
11. Radek Faksa - Radek is cut from the mold of a classic center. He moves around the ice looking for opportunities and ready to exploit the weakness in an opponent. He has an excellent feel for the game and knows how to get himself into advantageous positions without the puck and then when he does have the puck, he is extremely capable of taking advantage and creating chances. He can create offense in multiple ways, with his playmaking, his shot, and his willingness to engage physically. He is still developing physically but his skating base is very good without any noticeable weakness and as he becomes stronger, it will give him more speed and quickness to be that much better. He plays very well in defensive situations because of his IQ but is very adept at transitioning quickly to offense. He gains advantages with physical play and is willing to play in traffic and along the boards. When he matures, he will be a blend of skill and size which is both coveted and important to winning.
Quote:
14. Cody Ceci - Cody is the prototypical work horse player. He goes about the game playing in all of the important situations and at the critical times, seemingly effortless but with an incredible effectiveness and efficiency that goes unheralded but is ultimately important to winning. He plays a game that is rooted in his razor sharp attention to detail, strong positioning and an awareness of what he can do to shift the balance to his team's favour. He does it in so many ways; eliminating opponents in defensive situations, getting the puck up the ice, either by passing or skating, jumping into the attack when required, running the power play with a combination of passing and shooting and helping kill penalties with whatever sacrifices are necessary. He possesses all of the requisite skills, physical and mental, as well as a determination to make a difference in the game in some way, shape or form. He is a coach's dream in that when he is on the ice, the game is under control and your team has an increased chance of success.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:55 AM
Tdoe42

I think I need too get my subscription to the Hockey News back I know nothing about this draft. Ken King and Adam Proteau are ****'s and the reason I stopped reading

Tdoe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:56 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Here's my wild stab at draft day:

1. Oilers - Nail Yakupov
2. Blue Jackets - Alex Galchenyuk
3. Canadiens - Mikhail Grigorenko
4. Islanders - Ryan Murray
5(a). Penguins - Mathew Dumba
6. Ducks - Filip Forsberg
7. Wild - Griffin Reinhart
8. Hurricanes - Jacob Trouba
9. Jets - Radek Faksa
10. Lightning - Zemgus Girgensons

(a) Toronto trades 5th overall pick, Nazem Kadri and the rights to Matt Frattin to Pittsburgh for Jordan Staal and the 22nd.

Have a strong hunch about Girgensons at #10, he just seems like a guy who would fit the Lightning well. Dumba is a boom/bust pick, but the Penguins would be in a better position to take on that risk. I know most mocks have the Ducks taking a defenseman, but I think Forsberg is too good to pass up at #6.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:57 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I think Trouba is going to go earlier that he was predicted. Just a feeling I have. He's the only top defenseman who is American and going the USHL route.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:09 AM
Huffer

Quote:

I'd take Grigorenko in a heartbeat.

IMO, it seems like there are much more positive's out of Grigorenko then negatives. The guy was battling for #1 at the halfway point in the year while tearing up the Q in his first year in NA. He goes to the World Juniors and suffers a high ankle sprain and keeps playing. (Anyone remember how long Terrence Jeffers Harris was out with his high ankle sprain?).

He understandably doesn't keep up his pre Juniors pace playing with the injury, and near the end of the season (who knows when), gets mono. His team blows a 3-0 lead in the playoffs and somehow it's all his fault, even though he put up a point a game on a young team, and lost to a team that also had young talent but better vets.
The knock on him is that is supposedly lazy and might bolt to the KHL. I see a guy who moved across the world as a kid by himself when he didn't even speak a word of English. In one year he can speak English better than a lot of players who have been here for half their careers.

I'm not saying he might not be a risk. But if every draft pick is a risk, then if a guy with top 2 talent somehow falls into your lap at 9, I sure would like us to take a chance on him.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote