Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft

Old
06-22-2012, 09:10 AM
Huffer

vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
I think Trouba is going to go earlier that he was predicted. Just a feeling I have. He's the only top defenseman who is American and going the USHL route.
Yeah, I could see Anaheim or Minnesota taking him for sure.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:12 AM
tbcwpg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Here's my wild stab at draft day:

1. Oilers - Nail Yakupov
2. Blue Jackets - Alex Galchenyuk
3. Canadiens - Mikhail Grigorenko
4. Islanders - Ryan Murray
5(a). Penguins - Mathew Dumba
6. Ducks - Filip Forsberg
7. Wild - Griffin Reinhart
8. Hurricanes - Jacob Trouba
9. Jets - Radek Faksa
10. Lightning - Zemgus Girgensons

(a) Toronto trades 5th overall pick, Nazem Kadri and the rights to Matt Frattin to Pittsburgh for Jordan Staal and the 22nd.

Have a strong hunch about Girgensons at #10, he just seems like a guy who would fit the Lightning well. Dumba is a boom/bust pick, but the Penguins would be in a better position to take on that risk. I know most mocks have the Ducks taking a defenseman, but I think Forsberg is too good to pass up at #6.
I think that might be how it goes, but I think that the Leafs will keep the pick and go with Forsberg. I hope Faksa drops to us but I don't think Carolina likes taking defencemen in the first round.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:15 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Let the speculation begin! I'll say this, if Chevy and co. really want Radek Faksa, I think they'll have to get ahead of Carolina to make it possible.

Quote:
Ken Wiebe ‏@WiebeSunSports
Should be an interesting day here in Pittsburgh. Lots of debate about what could happen at top of draft, who will be there at 9 for #NHLJets
Quote:
Ken Wiebe ‏@WiebeSunSports
Provided the #NHLJets stay at No. 9, which is adding to the intrigue. Some buzz the Jets might be willing to move up to get their guy

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:24 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Let the speculation begin! I'll say this, if Chevy and co. really want Radek Faksa, I think they'll have to get ahead of Carolina to make it possible.
If that was the case they had better be VERY sure that he is going to be better than who might be available at 9.

Not a huge fan of using up assets to move up a couple of spots. Especially when we know we are getting a great talent at 9 regardless.

I agree about Carolina though. Easily could see them taking Faksa.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:24 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I'd take Grigorenko in a heartbeat.

IMO, it seems like there are much more positive's out of Grigorenko then negatives. The guy was battling for #1 at the halfway point in the year while tearing up the Q in his first year in NA. He goes to the World Juniors and suffers a high ankle sprain and keeps playing. (Anyone remember how long Terrence Jeffers Harris was out with his high ankle sprain?).

He understandably doesn't keep up his pre Juniors pace playing with the injury, and near the end of the season (who knows when), gets mono. His team blows a 3-0 lead in the playoffs and somehow it's all his fault, even though he put up a point a game on a young team, and lost to a team that also had young talent but better vets.
The knock on him is that is supposedly lazy and might bolt to the KHL. I see a guy who moved across the world as a kid by himself when he didn't even speak a word of English. In one year he can speak English better than a lot of players who have been here for half their careers.

I'm not saying he might not be a risk. But if every draft pick is a risk, then if a guy with top 2 talent somehow falls into your lap at 9, I sure would like us to take a chance on him.
I totally agree with this. He has the talent and size to take a risk on. He has the potential to be an undisputed PPG 1st line centre a few years from now. In his prime he has the talent to be among the top centres in the league. Sure there is risk, but in the draft even the so called safest picks carry risk.

Now remind me again what our biggest need is

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:42 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Little more fuel to the fire from the Winnipeg Sun,

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/06/2...-make-a-splash

Quote:
Having Cheveldayoff pull off a blockbuster deal is a possibility, but it’s far more likely a trade could be to package something up and moving their first-round pick at nine for a chance to move up.

“If you polled all 30 teams and they were honest with you, they’d maybe have a lot of the same guys in the Top-10, but they’d have them in a different order,” said Cheveldayoff. “It does lend itself to a lot of intrigue and certainly if we’re going to keep our pick, we’re going to be listening to see who goes ahead of us, with interest.

“There’s lots of interesting players. We’re fortunate that at nine, if we stay there, that we’re going to get a player that we feel is going to be able to contribute at some point and time to our organization.”

While there’s no doubt the Jets might still be able to get an impact player at nine, it’s probably worth the risk to move a player or prospect to ensure you get the guy you want.

Whether it’s a forward or a defenceman the Jets have their sights on with that first round pick, leaving things to chance is a somewhat risky proposition.

Sure, it could still turn out that player is still available, but what if he’s not and you’re left wondering what might have been?

The Jets are moving in the right direction and we understand that the patient approach, with a focus on building through the draft, is the foundation they’re going to build on.

But there is ample work to be done and pulling the trigger on the right deal this weekend just might speed up the process.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:45 AM
anatsu
twitter: @finanatsu

When you are reading rumors on twitter, on the net, top-three might even be:

1. Ryan Murray
2. Filip Forsberg/Matthew Dumba
3. Teuvo Teräväinen

There is strong interest in Teräväinen from MTL, at least. They have example interviewed Jarmo Kekäläinen about him and so.

anatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:53 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Little more fuel to the fire from the Winnipeg Sun,

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/06/2...-make-a-splash
That's just tabloid journalism though.

All Cheveldayoff says is:

"If you polled all 30 teams and they were honest with you, they’d maybe have a lot of the same guys in the Top-10, but they’d have them in a different order,” said Cheveldayoff. “It does lend itself to a lot of intrigue and certainly if we’re going to keep our pick, we’re going to be listening to see who goes ahead of us, with interest.

“There’s lots of interesting players. We’re fortunate that at nine, if we stay there, that we’re going to get a player that we feel is going to be able to contribute at some point and time to our organization.”

So he's saying that all the teams have the players in different orders (duh), and that he knows that if he keeps his pick they will get a good player there.

All the rest is Wiebe's own personal opinion / fluff article.

Unless he is quoting someone in the organization, or relaying information he has heard from reliable sources, I take quotes like the following about as serious as posts on HF:

"While there’s no doubt the Jets might still be able to get an impact player at nine, it’s probably worth the risk to move a player or prospect to ensure you get the guy you want.

Whether it’s a forward or a defenceman the Jets have their sights on with that first round pick, leaving things to chance is a somewhat risky proposition.

Sure, it could still turn out that player is still available, but what if he’s not and you’re left wondering what might have been?"

I'm not saying we "won't" trade up. But Wiebe isn't basing his thoughts on anything Cheveldayoff is saying here.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatsu View Post

1. Ryan Murray
3. Teuvo Teräväinen

There is strong interest in Teräväinen from MTL, at least. They have example interviewed Jarmo Kekäläinen about him and so.
If Montreal took TT, then I would hope Chevy would try to trade up to the NYI's 4th pick and grab Galchenyuk. Going to have to jump the Leafs for that to happen.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:55 AM
Huffer

Quote:

1. Ryan Murray
3. Teuvo Teräväinen

Grant McKagg on the Habs board has also said that the Habs are highly interested in TT at 3.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:56 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
If Montreal took TT, then I would hope Chevy would try to trade up to the NYI's 4th pick and grab Galchenyuk. Going to have to jump the Leafs for that to happen.
You wouldn't want Yakupov?

Old
06-22-2012, 09:58 AM
tbcwpg

Quote:

1. Ryan Murray
3. Teuvo Teräväinen

Teravainen is MTL's type of player, a small forward. I think they need to move away from that mold, though, and I think Bergevin understands that.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:58 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
You wouldn't want Yakupov?
I'm pretty sure he'll be gone and the asking price will be steep.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:59 AM
Huffer

I was just going off of the anatsu draft.

But for sure, if Galchenyuk is available at 4 and the Islanders are looking for a D man, that would be a trade up scenario I could get behind. (As long as we aren't selling the farm).

Moving up to 4 to get a guy that would have no chance to be at 9 makes some sense to me. Moving assets to land a guy who could be around at 9, or is comparable to other players around the 9 spot doesn't (To me).

Old
06-22-2012, 10:00 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
No Yakupov?
Did you just ask me that twice?

Old
06-22-2012, 10:01 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Lol and I quoted you too soon

Old
06-22-2012, 10:04 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Did you just ask me that twice?
Must have been a hiccup.

Old
06-22-2012, 10:14 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:

But for sure, if Galchenyuk is available at 4 and the Islanders are looking for a D man, that would be a trade up scenario I could get behind. (As long as we aren't selling the farm).

Moving up to 4 to get a guy that would have no chance to be at 9 makes some sense to me. Moving assets to land a guy who could be around at 9, or is comparable to other players around the 9 spot doesn't (To me).
The Islanders are looking for a top 4 d-man, which we kinda lack. I would hope we could make a deal that doesn't really hurt our current roster. We have a lot of picks for next year, but I'm not sure Snow bites. If he would consider picks/prospects, then I'd offer...

1st 2012(9th) + 2nd (2013 Chicago) + 3rd 2012(70th) + Paul Postma/Arturs Kulda

for

1st (4th)

If it took more than that, then I'd have to rethink my offer.

Old
06-22-2012, 10:16 AM
Becel
I Hate Jamie Macoun

Found a good little piece on Trouba. He menitions beeing booed by the Winnipeg crowd at the U17s for a game. He has the image of him running the Canadian goalie as his twitter pic apparently.

Quote:
"I'll never forget that one," he said, "We were in the final (in Winnipeg) against Ontario (U17's) and we were down I think 3-1 at the time. I was going to the net and I got tripped, you could say, and fell into the goalie... on accident. Then I got booed by 17,000 people for the rest of the game."
http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.ca/2...ob-trouba.html

Still think it would be great in the post draft interview after Winnipeg picks him: "So Jacob what do you know about Winnipeg?"

Trouba: "Well, the last time I played there they booed me mercilessly as a 16 year old"

Becel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:20 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Faksa is definitely a possibility, I'm almost certain that Carolina will take him, if they don't trade the pick for Staal.

Other possibilities could include Reinhart, Trouba, Dumba, Grigorenko or Teravainen - all of which have been pegged to go anywhere from 4th to 12th.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Faksa is definitely a possibility, I'm almost certain that Carolina will take him, if they don't trade the pick for Staal.

Other possibilities could include Reinhart, Trouba, Dumba, Grigorenko or Teravainen - all of which have been pegged to go anywhere from 4th to 12th.
Agree. Whether it be Faksa or Trouba, I think we may need to move up if we really want one of them. I'm with you, WJG, I think Trouba goes earlier than some predict.

Old
06-22-2012, 10:29 AM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
its funny i think we can all agree that we really have no clue who the Jets will take in this years draft. Sooooo many options!!

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:35 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetNation View Post
its funny i think we can all agree that we really have no clue who the Jets will take in this years draft. Sooooo many options!!
This is what is so exciting, I find. For not an overly strong draft (for all we know today), I think we're really in a prime spot to land a top 6 forward or top 3-4 defenceman. Awesome pieces to add, and I feel confident they'll pan out for us whether it be Faksa, Trouba, Ceci, etc.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:05 AM
Rheged
JMFT

How much fun is this? So much craziness this morning, can't believe how strong the rumblings seem to be that Edmonton wants Murray and Montreal wants Teravainen, I just don't know what to believe right now haha.

As for the Jets pick, I'm happy with pretty much any of the guys that'll probably be around there but after reading the story on Faksa you gotta think he's a guy who will be driven and determined to be a great player and help his family out. That definitely puts a few more points in Faksa's favor for me.

Toronto rumored to be looking at a Defenseman at 5 now too.. man, just crazy today.

Last edited by Rheged: 06-22-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Rheged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:17 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
How much fun is this? So much craziness this morning, can't believe how strong the rumblings seem to be that Edmonton wants Murray and Montreal wants Teravainen, I just don't know what to believe right now haha.

As for the Jets pick, I'm happy with pretty much any of the guys that'll probably be around there but after reading the story on Faksa you gotta think he's a guy who will be driven and determined to be a great player and help his family out. That definitely puts a few more points in Faksa's favor for me.
Great Stuff!

I'm not a big fan of moving down a few spots to get a guy who could possibly be around at 9, but if Edmonton took Murray, and Montreal took TT, I would defiantly contact the Islanders and try to get Yakupov or Galchenyuk (Whomever the BJ's didn't take).

Do you have any quotes for any of this? (Just to save time searching)