HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

My Mock 2.0

Old
06-21-2012, 11:22 PM
WJC_Fan

vCash: 500
My Mock 2.0

2012 NHL Mock Draft 2.0
Changes from my first draft:
a) Tampa traded for a goalie
b) New Jersey is making their pick
c) I could not decide between Murray or Forsberg for Columbus. I will switch the pick to Forsberg to see how much it changes my draft
d) Dumba does not slide in my second version
e) A Buffalo fan wanted to punch a kitten after my draft netted Buffalo, Collberg and Sissons. I will take that dislike of the picks into consideration.

1) Edmonton: Nail Yakupov. Edmonton needs defense since they already have several young stars at forward. Trading down to two with Columbus makes sense for Edmonton but I cannot see how Columbus can with their total lack of organizational depth. A trade with Montreal makes the most sense but I do not see Edmonton settling for just picks. Guys like Tinordi, Subban, and Bealieu would need to be included to entice me if I was Edmonton. Futhermore, Klefbom, Marincin, and Musil are coming soon so maybe the defensive need is not as severe as some think. Edmonton stands pat and takes the best player in the draft
2) Columbus: Filip Forsberg. As for moving down, this is the most likely team to want to move down. The Islanders may want to move up to get Murray. It would make a ton of sense to me. David Savard is Columbus’ top prospect per Hockey’s Future. That is not good when you have the worst record and also a horrible prospect list. This pick could change if/when Nash is dealt. Also, teams with two picks like Buffalo and Washington may interest Columbus.
3) Montreal: Alex Galchenyuk. Montreal desperately needs size down the middle. This is not the draft to have a need like that because the only two players that fit that bill are huge question marks. Consensus seems that Galchenyuk goes before Grigorenko although I am not sure if it is really clear cut. Galchenyuk had a serious injury and he seems as risky to me as the defensively indifferent Grigorenko
4) NY Islanders: Ryan Murray. The Islanders resist moving up and end up with the best defender in the draft. While Rielly may have higher upside, Murray is much more likely to be a top four for years to come. Very safe pick for a team that lacks defenders with high upside. Not sure about his offensive upside but he could impact a defense like Niedermayer did in New Jersey.
5) Toronto: Mikhail Grigorenko. Another team that has a glaring need. Toronto gets the other big center with question marks. Supremely talented but must show more defensive awareness to be an NHL’er. I know that people say that he is not a “Burke” player but he was okay with talented players like the Sedins who show little physicality.
6) Anaheim: Matt Dumba. Anaheim has a nice set of young defenders but would be reaching to take a forward here. I wonder if they would consider a move down to try to pick up a player like Faksa a few picks back. Dumba fits well with guys like Fowler, Vaatanen, and Sbisa.
7) Minnesota: Griffin Reinhart. A team that has a lot of pieces coming to the NHL soon. Their defensive depth is a mess though. Really could use top-four defenders. Reinhart is a little safer than the other potential picks.
8) Carolina: Teuvo Teravainen. Defensive depth is tremendous and they are set in goal. Top-six forwards are a mess. Skinner, Staal and then who?? Maybe Dalpe but his performance this year makes me skeptical. Teravainen is a potential offensive dynamo. He may be a top-liner and just what Carolina needs. I could see Carolina moving down since there are two defenders that are starting to slide a little.
9) Winnipeg: Morgan Rielly. Could use a forward but there is also a need for a puck-rushing defender. Rielly fits the bill. I could see Faksa here too but I think the bigger need is on the back end.
10) Tampa: Jacob Trouba. I could see him going as high as fourth or sliding to eleven or twelve. Great size/speed combination. May not have a high offensive upside but will be a solid NHL’er.
11) Washington: Radek Faksa. I see this as a player that fits the Washington need. They are trying to add size and grit. Smart winger/center that will be a complementary scorer that makes good decisions. I think that Washington still has enough defensive depth even if Wideman leaves.
12) Buffalo: Cody Ceci. Buffalo fan did not seem too impressed with Collberg here so I will try a different direction for this pick. I think that they need offense more than defense but I do not see a prospect that rates above the defenders. Buffalo takes the mobile Ceci and adds him to a nice stable of defenders
13) Dallas Stars: Hampus Lindholm. In this draft, Dallas misses out on Ceci but takes a nice consolation prize. Should be a top-four defender for sure. Seems to be another defenseman moving up the charts.
14) Calgary Flames: Olli Maata. Woeful defense prospects. Calgary needs defensive zone prospects. Has had a concussion and was not great in the regular season but really stepped it up in the playoffs and moved up draft lists because of it.
15) Ottawa: Derrick Pouliot. Ottawa has a ton of offensive prospects but after moving Rundblad, there is not a ton of upside potential in their defensive prospects. Team finds a power play partner for Karlsson after Gonchar moves on. He may be one of the steals of the first round.
16) Washington: Brendan Gaunce. Another big forward. Gaunce would make a perfect 3rd line center for this team. Could look defense here too as Finn would be a decent pick here.
17) San Jose: Pontus Aberg. A woeful minor league system and an aging roster. San Jose is deep in goal but that is about it. San Joses takes a safe pick. Will be a solid NHL’er. Less risk then Collberg here and San Jose needs prospects in the system that will make the NHL.
18) Chicago: Matt Finn. Nice fit for Chicago. He is rising up lists and will fit in Chicago. Chicago is loaded at forward but can use some help on defense and in goal. It is a little too early for a goalie so they land a defender.
19) Tampa Bay: Sebastian Collberg. Speedy winger is a little risky but is the best pure offensive player left at this point. Deal for Lindback cost Tampa picks but if he pans out, they may get good quickly. Tampa gets a potential impact offensive player to add to the stable of forwards that they already possess.
20) Philadelphia: Slater Koekkoek. Nice youth at forward but defense could be a wreck with Pronger, Carle, and Timonen. I cannot see them going goalie either. Koekkoek had the serious injury but would go much earlier if he was not injured. After Gustaffson, I am not sure if Philadelphia has a top-six defensive prospect in the system. Great awareness. Will be a good pro, health permitting.
21) Buffalo: Zemgus Girgensons. Brings solid leadership qualities to the Sabres. May not be the most offensively gifted but will always bring the effort. Potential power forward and at worst a two-way forward.
22) Pittsburgh: Scott Laughton. As the Penguins are struggling to get Staal under contract. A player that could be his replacement makes perfect sense. May not have the offensive upside that Staal has but these are the kind of players that win playoff rounds.
23) Florida: Tom Wilson. Dale Tallon adds the kind of player that wins playoff rounds. As the Panthers get ready to start graduating a ton of youth to the NHL roster, a player with this type of grit will benefit them immensely.
24) Boston: Dalton Thrower. Did not have him in the first round in my previous draft but I think that Boston will be looking defenseman and I think that he is the best available at this point. Not the biggest guy but plays with a ton of heart. Plays like a Boston-type player.
25) Saint Louis: Colton Sissons. In full disclosure, I am a Blues’ fan. I make this pick thinking what would help narrow the gap between the Kings and Blues. I saw the Blues get physically dominated at forward and defense. I do not see a defenseman that fits the bill. Hertl would be a good pick but the Blues have other offensive players coming very soon(Schwartz and Tarasenko). I think that the Blues would have been thrilled to get Wilson or Laughton but they go earlier. Thrower was probably under consideration too. Captain-type leadership skills. Does the little things that win games.
26) Vancouver: Tomas Hertl. This team lacks depth on wing and center. Hertl could play both. Not the greatest skater but should fit in well with the top six giving Vancouver another scoring option.
27) New York Rangers: Andrei Vasilevski. I would be surprised if New York still has this pick by the time the draft rolls around. I think that they are the most likely to land Nash and need him more now that Gaborik is out. Sorry Columbus but you will not be getting Kreider or McDonaugh. I see some sort of package like Dubinsky, Mcilrath, and a First. If Columbus gets this pick, I think that they take a goalie also. Vasilevski has time to mature with Lundqvist cemented in as the starter for the time being.
28) Phoenix: Oscar Dansk. This team is stacked with defenders but lacking in goal and have a lack of forwards at the prospect level. If they go forward , then Kerdiles, Matteau, or Samuellson will be the most likely choice.
29) New Jersey – Malcolm Subban. New Jersey keeps the pick and takes a goalie of the future. Unlike the last couple of drafts, I believe that there will be starting goalies coming out of this draft and all three taken in the first round have an excellent chance to be starters down the line.
30) Los Angeles: Nicholas Kerdiles. Fits the typical Kings forward. Big and strong. Big-game goal scorer. Will be a nice fit. Kings are happy that he slides to them. Defense is aging so they could go with a pick like Skjei or Bystrom.

WJC_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:55 PM
bigfatfist

Hahahaha....watching the 3 of the players Sens fans want most going 12, 13, 14 before them seems cruel! Man, I hope you're wrong! We don't see Pouliot play out here, so I'll reserve judgement, but your logic for the pick is right on.

bigfatfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 12:06 AM
Flair Hay

vCash: 50
Solid man. If Reilly is that dynamic I'd be okay with taking him there. I agree the forwards are probably going to go higher in general

Flair Hay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 12:08 AM
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad

vCash: 69
Wait...Winnipeg needs a puck rusher?

Enstrom, Byfuglien, Bogo...I'm confused.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 12:14 AM
Flair Hay

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post

And Postma is an offensive style defenseman too. But I dont think you can have enough good puck rushing defensemen. He has decent size and the smarts to be great at both ends of the ice. Could make a sick pairing with bogosian someday.

Flair Hay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 12:16 AM
ProspectTalk

Duckjet, every ****ing thread you go into is to point something out to seem like you're smart. Just shut the **** up

ProspectTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 12:26 AM
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectTalk View Post
Duckjet, every ****ing thread you go into is to point something out to seem like you're smart. Just shut the **** up
Isn't the point of a forum to engage in debate and discussion? You shut the **** up. At least bhay gave me a well thought out rebuttal. It's his opinion that you can't have enough OFD's personally I believe the best bluelines have a balance of physicality and responsible play with offensive contributions from OFD's. There's a reason for what I say.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 07:05 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1126
I don't always agree with DuckJet, but he is right a puck rushing d-man is the last of the Jets needs unless they have a trade in the works for Enstrom or Buff. Truth be told the Jets d rush way too much, especially Buff. They have to lead the league in giving up odd man rushes.If Jets pick a d it will be a large presence they project to be a solid stay at home 2nd pairing guy. My guess the Jets would jump on Faksa or Grigorenko if he fell to them.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 01:00 PM
WJC_Fan

Quote:

Enstrom would definitely fit that definition for me but not the other two.
I guess that i was considering them as offensive defenseman but not necessariliy the type of player that I was describing with the explanation. I am thinking more of a guy like Ryan Murphy that relies on speed to make an impact offensively. Both Bogosian and Byfuglien possess other skills like big-time shots to contribute offensively.

I will be the first to admit that I am more familiar with the Western Conference then the East. I could see Trouba going here. I have to admit that I would not be shocked if they go forward but I think the defenders that are still on the board have higher upside to me.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:04 PM
WJC_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatfist View Post
Hahahaha....watching the 3 of the players Sens fans want most going 12, 13, 14 before them seems cruel! Man, I hope you're wrong! We don't see Pouliot play out here, so I'll reserve judgement, but your logic for the pick is right on.
I like Pouliot's game. I do not think that you can teach the offense that he brings. Teach him the defense and he could be a real gem. With his size, Dan Boyle comes to mind for me.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:07 PM
WJC_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
I don't always agree with DuckJet, but he is right a puck rushing d-man is the last of the Jets needs unless they have a trade in the works for Enstrom or Buff. Truth be told the Jets d rush way too much, especially Buff. They have to lead the league in giving up odd man rushes.If Jets pick a d it will be a large presence they project to be a solid stay at home 2nd pairing guy. My guess the Jets would jump on Faksa or Grigorenko if he fell to them.

As a fan that got to see Dustin several times a year when he was a Hawk coming to play against the Blues, I agree that maybe the wrong guys are carrying the puck.
Surely would not be shocked if they take Faksa but I wonder if his upside is as high as Reilly or Trouba.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:08 PM
WJC_Fan

Quote:
Isn't the point of a forum to engage in debate and discussion? You shut the **** up. At least bhay gave me a well thought out rebuttal. It's his opinion that you can't have enough OFD's personally I believe the best bluelines have a balance of physicality and responsible play with offensive contributions from OFD's. There's a reason for what I say.

Just curious if you think that they would ever consider moving Buff back to forward?