Notices

Steve Ott

Old
06-22-2012, 02:21 PM
ODAAT

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
No thanks. He's a ****** bag and I hate him.
When commenting, could you focus on expressing yourself a touch more clearly please and thanks

Your actually being far too kind

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 02:55 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
Let Vancouver have him, I'd rather have Ryder back if they're dumping their veterans.

dafoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Danny Woodhead

My favorite players are violent or pesky, but I draw the line at those who attempt to injure. Steve falls into that category IMO. But don't buy the argument that he doesn't bring something that we don't already have. If he wasn't a 'knee-seeking missile', I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Danny Woodhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:02 PM
BobbyMarks1

Why don't we just change the name of the Bruins to the Charleston Chiefs while we're at it?.

BobbyMarks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:44 PM
BruinsNeedaRussian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zylos45 View Post
correct me if I am wrong but

contract numbers
Ott 29 y.o. - signed for 2 more years at 2.95 mil (does not have a NTC for next 2 seasons)
Kelly 31 y.o. - signed for 4 more years at 3 mil (NTC)

what does Kelly give you that ott would not?

if Ott is overpaid Kelly is overpaid for 2 extra years
10x better defensive play, leadership, less stupid penalties, won't piss off reffs, less suspensions, and won't spark the other team.

BruinsNeedaRussian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 04:42 PM
WithOutPaperss

I love Ott, so I'd say yes. But I'm in the minority I see...

WithOutPaperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 06:44 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Hell no. I do not want a knee-seeking missle, a scud on our Bruins. Do not want someone that goes out looking to hurt players and end careers. Minus the Savvy hit, he is as bad as Cooke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
When commenting, could you focus on expressing yourself a touch more clearly please and thanks

Your actually being far too kind
Would "leaky ****ing ****** bag" be more accurate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Woodhead View Post
My favorite players are violent or pesky, but I draw the line at those who attempt to injure. Steve falls into that category IMO. But don't buy the argument that he doesn't bring something that we don't already have. If he wasn't a 'knee-seeking missile', I'd take him in a heartbeat.
Damn you beat me to the Jack Edwards reference.

PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 06:54 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Ott is a punk.
Pass.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 06:59 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafoomie View Post
Let Vancouver have him, I'd rather have Ryder back if they're dumping their veterans.
Me too. Is Ryder available ?

06-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Ott would be a good pick up.

Central Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:39 PM
Dr Quincy

If Chris Nilan can one day become a Bruin, find it odd that people are saying"No Never" or "The players would hate him" about Ott.

Guys, players aren't fans. If Ott could help the team they'd welcome him with open arms.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:48 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
If Chris Nilan can one day become a Bruin, find it odd that people are saying"No Never" or "The players would hate him" about Ott.

Guys, players aren't fans. If Ott could help the team they'd welcome him with open arms.
Do you think Ott would be a good fit?

Old
06-22-2012, 09:51 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
Do you think Ott would be a good fit?
They need a 3rd line LW, and he can definitely be that, but I don't think he's the best option out there.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:22 AM
ODAAT

Quote:

I agree however, I don`t think Ott could help this team

Old
06-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Quote:
I agree however, I don`t think Ott could help this team
I think he can. Ott would bring some "nasty" on the top 9, something the Bruins lacked last season, once Horton got injured.

He may not be the best option. But as a 3rd line winger, i take Ott over Pouliot any day of the week.

Besides, the thought of the Bruins sending out Marchand and Ott will drive the whole NHL crazy. Also the Bruins have the muscle to back up their antics.

Old
06-23-2012, 09:03 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
I think he can. Ott would bring some "nasty" on the top 9, something the Bruins lacked last season, once Horton got injured.

He may not be the best option. But as a 3rd line winger, i take Ott over Pouliot any day of the week.

Besides, the thought of the Bruins sending out Marchand and Ott will drive the whole NHL crazy. Also the Bruins have the muscle to back up their antics.
This team lacks absolutely no muscle at all with or without Ott, I`m just not a fan, and it has little to do with his run and hide routine when he`s played the B`s, sorry, I like Marchand, love his getting under the skin stuff but......there`s a line that I figuratively draw and I`m not a fan of that line being crossed when Marchand does something....how do I say this.....stupid.

I don`t want players who cause crud and expect their teammates to clean up their mess, and that, for me, is what Ott does, ALWAYS picks his spots to drop the mitts and while I understand that it makes little to no sense when a lightweight(not that Ott is a lightweight) goes with a heavyweight, the problem with Ott is he consistently takes runs at players, and then is immediately found where???? On the bench as he`s skated away and has allowed the Barch`s for example to clean up the mess he made, sorry, this isn`t my kind of player.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:34 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Quote:
This team lacks absolutely no muscle at all with or without Ott, I`m just not a fan, and it has little to do with his run and hide routine when he`s played the B`s, sorry, I like Marchand, love his getting under the skin stuff but......there`s a line that I figuratively draw and I`m not a fan of that line being crossed when Marchand does something....how do I say this.....stupid.

I don`t want players who cause crud and expect their teammates to clean up their mess, and that, for me, is what Ott does, ALWAYS picks his spots to drop the mitts and while I understand that it makes little to no sense when a lightweight(not that Ott is a lightweight) goes with a heavyweight, the problem with Ott is he consistently takes runs at players, and then is immediately found where???? On the bench as he`s skated away and has allowed the Barch`s for example to clean up the mess he made, sorry, this isn`t my kind of player.
Ott fights. He has fought 27 times over the past 3 seasons( only 6 last season). Last season he fought Mike Richards,Barret Jackman,Willie Mitchell and Curtis Glencross.

Ott had 39 points last season, 156 pims. he played 18+minutes and was a +5(5th best on team) he can play the PP(get in the goalies grill). He can also play the PK. he can also play center.

The toughness factor on the top 9 can be an issue if Horton out. Eliminate Lucic and who is left?

Old
06-23-2012, 01:25 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsNeedaRussian View Post
10x better defensive play, .

Not true. Ott is just as good defensively as Kelly. Gets just as much PK time on a pretty identical PK rated team. Not only that, check this out:

With Ott on the ice on the PK last year, Dallas gave up 3.85 goals against per 60 minutes.

WITHOUT Ott on the ice their PK gave up 6.51 goals per 60 minutes. That's just insane numbers.

OTOH Boston's PK was better WITHOUT Kelly on the ice than it was with him on it. They gave up goals at a higher rate with kelly playing than without.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsNeedaRussian View Post
leadership, less stupid penalties, won't piss off reffs, less suspensions, and won't spark the other team.
Neither of us know anything about the leadership, so that one can't be argued really. Yes Ott takes 1.2 penalties a game and Kelly takes .7 a game. But Ott also draws more .9 to .6.

In fact, Ott takes about as many penalties as Lucic does. But he also draws 2x as many penalties as Lucic does.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:31 PM
bruinsfan46

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Ott in. He's a pain in the ass to play against and opposition fans hate him, but he's been a really good hockey player going back to his junior days playing with Kyle Wellwood in Windsor. He's a tool, but an effective tool.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:35 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Ott in. He's a pain in the ass to play against and opposition fans hate him, but he's been a really good hockey player going back to his junior days playing with Kyle Magic HandsWellwood in Windsor. He's a tool, but an effective tool.
Don Cherry fixed it for you.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:54 PM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly23 View Post
Does he come with Kaleta and Clitsome and Avery and Burrows you do not bring in guys the fans hate.
Fans hated Ryder, Pouliot and Begin. Didnt't stop PC from bringing them in.

06-23-2012, 02:04 PM
Kiss My Rask
VGHC

Guys/gals,

Don't you think this team has enough grit? I'd like someone who gives us 3 scoring lines again.

XXX - Kelly - Peverley

Need someone who can put up some points there, don't expect Kelly to score 20 and Pevs is gonna get you 15-18. I'd keep Caron as the 13th F, add a Doan or Whitney for the 3rd line. No thanks to Ott or another grinder

Kiss My Rask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:12 PM
the overrated
wicked overrated

Quote:

Imagine the reaction if these boards existed when Nilan was acquired. I don't think it would have been overly positive.

For me: I didn't like seeing Nilan in a B's uniform. He was never a player that I liked or respected before he became a Bruin, so while I disliked him less when he put the spoked-B on, I still disliked him more than I would have nearly any other player.

And IRT Ott: I don't think he's what the team needs at the LW spot. He produced less than Pouliot did last year at nearly 3x the money. I pass as much as I think he's overpaid & unproductive than because of what I think of him as a person/player.

the overrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:21 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Kelly is easily better defensively than Ott.

Again, do we really want someone on the Bruins that seeks to injure the opposition? Marchand will cross the line with gladness in his heart, but even he draws a line. Ott doesn't have any such line. He is a decent 3rd line player aside from that.

Do we want him throwing a cheapshot, and having someone pissed take their anger out on Seguin next shift? Or Krejci? I think not. He doesn't add any toughness either. He is a dirty player that does fight on occasion rather than turtle, but that still doesn't excuse how he plays. His playing style goes completely against the new model of these big bad Bruins; hard and tough to play against, but disciplined and relatively clean.

Last edited by PatriceBergeronFan: 06-23-2012 at 03:44 PM.
PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote