2012 Wimbledon

Old
06-26-2012, 07:48 AM
Deficient Mode
Step with me

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Bogomolov/Dolgopolov: I just always wanted this match up to occur, and now it has. Bonus points to those who remember which one has the junior after his name.
Funny thing is, it used to be both of them.

Dolgo won in three, 6-3, 6-4, 7-5. Expected. Great day for him on serve: 63% first serve and 23 aces.

Deficient Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:51 AM
kihei

vCash: 3400
Goffin seems to be pulling away a bit from Tomic, who needs to raise his game if he is to prolong the match.

4th set: But Goffin continues his recent dominance with an early break....and quickly up a second break, as Tomic has no answers to anything....a major difference between the two is that Goffin's net play has been more frequent and far deadlier than Tomic's...Goffin serving for the match, Tomic looking like he is already thinking about a shower...and he holds serve easily for the match.

I was really impressed with Goffin's play over the last two sets. His serve doesn't look devastating but it has some pop and is well placed. His all court game on grass was excellent, especially his net play. He controlled almost all of the key points. In short, he is going to be a handful for anybody else who plays him, and I think that will be true all the way up the food chain should he get to Tsonga or beyond.

Last edited by kihei: 06-26-2012 at 08:29 AM.
kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:19 AM
Filppula
Jurks

Later Bernie you hack.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Deficient Mode
Step with me

**** yes! Beautiful match and amazing result. Should take a healthy bite out of Tomic's ranking too. Another fourth round for Goffin isn't impossible with this draw, either.

Old
06-26-2012, 08:27 AM
kihei

Damn, where did the sun go? Rain delay.

Old
06-26-2012, 08:33 AM
kihei

At least, I don't think Tomic embarrassed himself today. It was an interesting match in that one player flew ahead and then slowly the other player caught up, went past and then dominated. A fascinating sustained rhythm.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:00 AM
Deficient Mode
Step with me

Quote:
At least, I don't think Tomic embarrassed himself today. It was an interesting match in that one player flew ahead and then slowly the other player caught up, went past and then dominated. A fascinating sustained rhythm.
No, he has had embarrassing moments both on (against Fognini for example) and off court (his encounters with the police), but today he was mostly outplayed. A couple of small but important changes turned things in Goffin's favor. Tomic's returning was pretty poor the last two and a half sets - in large part but not wholly due to Goffin - and he could probably be faulted for turning the match into a slugfest - which favored Goffin with his superior mobility and ability to handle pace - instead of trying to hit low and short balls to Goffin's forehand, which brought him a lot of success the first two sets. Most of this result can be attributed to David shaping up. Kind of stupid of Tomic to break his racquet once the match is over though.

Kvitova just finished off Amanmuradova right after the rain delay.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:23 AM
Deficient Mode
Step with me

Play has resumed on all courts now. Italian commentator on Dimitrov: "We have the sense of a photocopy of Federer."

Old
06-26-2012, 09:25 AM
kihei

Tsonga up a set and a break against Hewitt. A brief peek made it look very one sided so far.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:27 AM
Deficient Mode
Step with me

Quote:
Tsonga up a set and a break against Hewitt. A brief peek made it look very one sided so far.
They're on serve in the second.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:30 AM
kihei

Picked Murray, but am rooting for Rafa. His match with Bellucci is underway and Tomaz holds serve, saving the first of what will undoubtedly be many break points along the way....Rafa broken in his first service game, 0-2...Bellucci hitting some fantastic winners gets a second break from a decidedly unsharp Rafa, 4-0....Thomaz, volleying like a sea turtle, quickly gives one back....and I've done a disservice to sea turtles, as Bellucci botches another easy volley to give away the second break, back on serve....Tomaz comes out of his coma in time to hold at love, 5-4

Last edited by kihei: 06-26-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old
06-26-2012, 09:31 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
They're on serve in the second.
Oops. Maybe too quick a peek.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:40 AM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Jarkko Nieminen beats 14th seed Feliciano Lopez

vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:41 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
RIP parabola

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
This is the most frustrating part of tennis. We have Nadal down 3-0 and a GREAT match from yesterday between McHale, and yet I'm stuck watching the most boring match between Williams and some first round kid.

I hate the coverage. Absolutely hate it.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:42 AM
Deficient Mode
Step with me

Bellucci

Almagro completed his comeback from two sets down against Rochus. Haas-Kohlschreiber now underway.

Tsonga-Hewitt is actually a good match from what I've seen. Hewitt just had three break points; now saves one on his own serve. Tsonga as always in good humor.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:50 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
RIP parabola

There we go. Really pumped for Mchale. She deserved that match.

Now I like that Belucci kid is giving Nadal a run here.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:52 AM
Deficient Mode
Step with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsk92 View Post
Jarkko Nieminen beats 14th seed Feliciano Lopez
A bit of a surprise. Nieminen hasn't been anything to write home about this year, but Lopez retired quickly at Roland Garros so I guess injury/form was a concern for him.

Old
06-26-2012, 10:01 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
RIP parabola

Just like that 4-4..... wow.

Old
06-26-2012, 10:10 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
RIP parabola

Belucci finds a little comfort here and at least forces a breaker.

Old
06-26-2012, 10:23 AM
kihei

What a hilarious tie breaker. That set was Bellucci's career in a nutshell. Drops of genius in a sea of mediocrity. Next match, please.

Old
06-26-2012, 10:27 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
RIP parabola

Quote:
What a hilarious tie breaker. That set was Bellucci's career in a nutshell. Drops of genius in a sea of mediocrity. Next match, please.
He had a winning formula early. He was using big shots w/ good margin and attacking the hell out of Rafa's serve.

How the guy gets tight on a couple short slices in the middle of the court boggles my mind. I could see an amateur doing that, but couldn't believe he missed 2-3 important ones. No point in playing well if you can't put away the shot you wanted to begin with.

Old
06-26-2012, 10:31 AM
Deficient Mode
Step with me

Quote:
Yup. Atrocious play. Story of a lot of careers actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
He had a winning formula early. He was using big shots w/ good margin and attacking the hell out of Rafa's serve.

How the guy gets tight on a couple short slices in the middle of the court boggles my mind. I could see an amateur doing that, but couldn't believe he missed 2-3 important ones. No point in playing well if you can't put away the shot you wanted to begin with.
Lower-ranked players are afraid to be leading against the top guys. Sets like that happen way too often.

Old
06-26-2012, 10:50 AM
Deficient Mode
Step with me

Wow, another hilarious tiebreak in the second between Kohli and Haas. The first six points went to serve, 3-3, but after that 10 straight points went against serve, 8-8. Haas had set point on his own serve, and Kohli had two set points on his own serve. Finally Kohli held a point, 9-8, for set point on Haas' serve, and he won that. 10-8. One set all.

Dimitrov-Anderson has been very close. A lot of deuce games. Looks like the second is heading for a tiebreak.

Old
06-26-2012, 11:06 AM
kihei

Del Potro, looking comfortable, is off to a good start with a break for 2-1....Juan Martin absolutely dominating at the moment, serving very well...and takes the set, 6-4. Del Potro had 6 aces, first serve 80%, first serve points won 80% and second serve points won 80% in that set, with a 14/3 winner/unforced error ratio....

2nd set: fine tennis from both players, 2-2....Del Potro faces his first break points of the match and is broken, 5-3 Haase....and holds for the set....Kind of hard to describe Haase's game, sort of junkyard dog-ish, isn't pretty doing it, but keeps the ball in play, doesn't do anything stupid, and doesn't make many errors. Not exactly a grass court game, I would have thought, but he is doing very nicely at the moment.

3rd set: Haase breaks to start the set...Haase still up a break but the tennis has turned scruffy, graphic just up that JM is now at 29% on first serves for the set, 2-1...Del P breaks back, no rhythm to this set whatsoever...just trading uneventful service holds at the moment, a set without a spark so far..5-5 as match seems crawling to a tie breaker behind solid, well played but unspectacular tennis from both players...and, voila, the tiebreaker...and Del Potro takes it, behind good serving and some high velocity forehands. Doubt Haase is going to go away in the next set, though.

4th set: I may have spoken too soon. Haase looked beaten in that game, playing his first really stupid point of the match at the net (he hit a putaway volley directly back to a surprised Del Potro who reflexed it back to win the point) and coming in again after an indifferent approach shot to be broken, now 2-1 with Juan Martin in firm control of the match...iffy concentration, tired body language, occasional tangled footwork, but Haase hangs in, still down only a break at 2-3...Del P looks like he is content to conserve energy on Haase's serve, certain that he can serve the match out in two more games, 4-3....Del P with some tired footwork himself struggles but holds on for 5-3...Del P went for the break on Haase's service game this time, but Haase held, so the match is on Juan Martin's racket....a bad double fault and three terrible unforced errors and Haase has life again....and Haase hands it right back at 15, so JM is yet again serving for a match nobody seems to have the energy to take...and Juan Martin makes no mistake this time, winning the game at love to finally take the match.

Fine start for Del Potro, with the big serve and forehand both very much in evidence. The question may be whether he is in good enough condition to go really deep in the tournament. He will be a dangerous foe, though, the rest of the way. Very well played by Haase, as well.

Last edited by kihei: 06-26-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old
06-26-2012, 11:32 AM
bruinsfan46

Falconi was quite the belly for a 22 year old tennis pro.

Bellucci folded like a cheap suit after a promising start. That tiebreaker was hilarious.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote