HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo - Toronto, Florida among interested teams.

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2012, 12:41 PM
AvantiCanada*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Doubt it. They're willing to give up 3 picks for Bobo, I have a feeling it's because Lu won't waive for CLB.
Thats my impression as well. Columbus doesn't have a hope in hell with Luongo, and Gillis has told CBJ as much, which is why they went and overpaid for Bobrovsky.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:42 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximLapierre View Post
Jets not feeling secure with Pavelec considering the K?
They need to replace Chris Mason who is awful, Pavelec or no.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:43 PM
KISSland

Columbus Why?

Old
06-22-2012, 12:44 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Hearing it's two fouth-round picks and one second for Bobrovsky.
Includes the no 45 pick.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

TSNBobMcKenzie:
Quote:
Hearing it's two fouth-round picks and one second for Bobrovsky.
Howson is an idiot...

Old
06-22-2012, 12:45 PM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Dreger on TSN (link on their frontpage)

- Progress made last night in talks.
- Toronto in the discussion, Florida as a long shot, Columbus as a "longer shot maybe".
- Toronto willing to move a "good asset" to acquire Luongo, but would feel more comfortable if they were able to move a contract in addition to that asset. (Dreger changing his tune on that one - Burkie feeling the pressure of multiple bidders?)
What tune? Dreger is just reporting what he's heariing...he doesn't have "a tune". It shouldn't surprise anyone that things might be heating up on the morning of the draft. it gets pretty tiresome every time a rumour gets posted to get all the "x is just a mouthpiece for TO" or "x just lives in his basement and makes stuff up" etc. There rumours, which by definition may or may not be true. If peeps are bothered by the source of the rumour, don't read it and don't comment on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
If we traded Kesler I'd hope we'd get a high quality top 6 center somewhere along the way.
Except you don't usually trade a top 6 C for a top 6 C.

I love Kesler's game...when he's not flopping or injured...except he's not not flopping or injured when it matters enough. There's not many trades involving Kesler I'd be interested in, but something around Lu + Kes for Nash + #2 I would be.

We'd then either run with Schroeder as the #2 C, acquire one in another trade, or grab a UFA (although it's pretty slim pickings). It would certainly shake up the core without dismantling it, and we'd miss Kesler, but it would also provide us with the true sniper this team needs, and the #2 would help extend the window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Simple request: the last thread got mega dumb. Can we not spend 40 pages debating the 2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs or whatever? It's more interesting to speculate returns for either goalie than to debate which you'd prefer to trade.
Hey great, thanks for bringing it up!

Old
06-22-2012, 12:48 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

DarrenDreger:
Quote:
Bobrovsky to CBJ for 45 and 117 this year and 4th rd. (PHX) next year.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:49 PM
thecupismine

Wow, I'm honestly surprised at how much GMs are willing to gamble at the goaltending position. Yzerman basically has his whole team's fate lying on the backs of Lindback next year, and Columbus has it on Bobrovsky? I swear some teams never seem to be able to learn what the true value of great goaltending is. That isn't to say that the gambles won't pay off, but we're talking about one goalie who had a losing record last year and another who had a save percentage under .900. Some media types seem to like this kind of gamble saying its a "bargain" to get someone like that who "could" pay off, but it could just as easily blow up in their face and result in another lottery pick no matter how well the skaters play in front of them. Too much risk...that's why I would not be surprised if there's a lot of teams still interested in Luongo as you're a lot more sure of what you're going to get than you are with these young backup goaltenders.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:52 PM
Jrtu

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecupismine View Post
Wow, I'm honestly surprised at how much GMs are willing to gamble at the goaltending position. Yzerman basically has his whole team's fate lying on the backs of Lindback next year, and Columbus has it on Bobrovsky? I swear some teams never seem to be able to learn what the true value of great goaltending is. That isn't to say that the gambles won't pay off, but we're talking about one goalie who had a losing record last year and another who had a save percentage under .900. Some media types seem to like this kind of gamble saying its a "bargain" to get someone like that who "could" pay off, but it could just as easily blow up in their face and result in another lottery pick no matter how well the skaters play in front of them. Too much risk...that's why I would not be surprised if there's a lot of teams still interested in Luongo as you're a lot more sure of what you're going to get than you are with these young backup goaltenders.
Maybe Howson didn't want to gamble, but he had no choice, as Luongo wouldn't waive for Columbus.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:54 PM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrtu View Post
Maybe Howson didn't want to gamble, but he had no choice, as Luongo wouldn't waive for Columbus.
Well then we should have traded Schneider for Nash + #2 + Johansen + Boone. WTF was Gillis thinking!!

Old
06-22-2012, 12:54 PM
metric

Three picks for Bobrovsky. BOBROVSKY! And other two second round picks for Lindback. Yet Leafs fans continue insisting Luongo isn't worth much.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:56 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
Well then we should have traded Schneider for Nash + #2 + Johansen + Boone. WTF was Gillis thinking!!
That does get me thinking - what would Schneider fetch from CLB?

Old
06-22-2012, 12:57 PM
KISSland

Wonder if that "mystery team" is now out of the running.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:57 PM
FiveAndGame

Just throwing this out there...

But what if the Columbus trade for Bob was to acquire a backup that can be relied on for Lu, thus opening up the opportunity of a cap dump trade involving Mason?

Old
06-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveAndGame View Post

But what if the Columbus trade for Bob was to acquire a backup that can be relied on for Lu, thus opening up the opportunity of a cap dump trade involving Mason?
Too complicated for Howson to handle.

Old
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
Three picks for Bobrovsky. BOBROVSKY! And other two second round picks for Lindback. Yet Leafs fans continue insisting Luongo isn't worth much.
I don't think these goalie are comparable to Luongo. Neither of them are 33 with 10 years left on their contract.

Luongo has good trade value, his contract has extreme negative value.

Old
kanuck87

Quote:

Why would Lu want to go to CLB?

Old
06-22-2012, 01:01 PM
alternate

Quote:

They gave up too much imo for Bob to have been acquired as a backup.

but if this was the case, Mason would almost certainly be involved in any deal for Luongo.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecupismine View Post
I love it when people cite the Detroit model as an example of why investing in goaltending isn't prudent. Granted, I've only skimmed the Jackets' roster, but I don't see a top 3 defenceman of all time on there. Unsurprisingly, the Flyer's carousel of crap only paid off when they had a Hall of Famer on the backend. If you don't have the horses to support a "bargain", you're gonna have a bad time.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:02 PM
FiveAndGame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
Why would Lu want to go to CLB?
He wouldn't really have a choice if Columbus is the destination. If he is waived Columbus can pick him up as they are first on the waiver order.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:03 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
I don't think these goalie are comparable to Luongo. Neither of them are 33 with 10 years left on their contract.

A know it all Leafs fan?? I need to rethink the way I see the world now!

Old
Apu
Ex-pat in Oiler Land

Here comes the Leafs Nation, chanting mantras such as "With one less team in contention (CBJ), it's Komi + 4th or GTFO."

Old
brownbello

I'm curious what Mason can do with some strong goaltender coaching and a stronger team. I mean you don't go from good to crappy overnight. I think a lot of it was confidence, positioning and coaching. I mean we even made Raycroft look half decent....

Old
PG Canuck

vCash: 50
Quote:
He wouldn't really have a choice if Columbus is the destination. If he is waived Columbus can pick him up as they are first on the waiver order.
Good point. MG can say, either we trade you to CBJ, or we can just waive you, and you'll end up there anyways. I don't see MG ever waiving Luongo though, just can't see him doing that to such a good player like Luongo.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:04 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Closed Thread