HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round I, Pick #28: Brady Skjei, D

Old
06-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Can't hate a big fast defenseman. Even if he's "just" a third pairing guy if he's a real good one that's great. Plus in 3-4 years it's entirely possible the Rangers will have bigger holes to fill in their D

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:01 AM
Neknim

The Rangers love the USD program and college route, i love the pick we will grab a fwd hopefully today at 59

Neknim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:02 AM
Leetch3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I've said this a few times but the only thing I dislike about this pick is his commitment to U of M.

University of Stagnation. Lucia has no idea how to develop players IMO.
AWESOME so we finally get kreider out of bc so people can stop whining about jerry york only to be proven wrong and now we are already whining about lucia for the 3 years skjei will be there lol

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:05 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The most pertinent quote here, IMO is
Quote:
"... Skjei is a 6-3, 200-pound defenseman, which obviously is attractive on its own, you begin to see the breadth of his talent. For a player at his size, mobility is almost an added bonus. When you consider some scouts are calling Skjei the best skater in the draft, itís enough to make a few teams in the latter half of the first round drool at their good fortune.

Skjeiís standout tool is obviously his skating. Itís not just speed, itís the ability to use his feet efficiently with good edge work and an explosive first step. He doesnít have overwhelming puck skills, but he certainly makes up for it with his feet. He knows how to pursue and protect the puck and uses his physical tools pretty well. ...."
Looks like the best D available exclusive of the guys like Murray picked very early. Best athlete available? Maybe. Possible weakness? They are not saying ANYTHING about his shot, good, bad, or otherwise, accurate, heavy, whatever. Hopefully if he is so athletic whatever he has can be maximized by technique.

A lefty, this is a balanced addition to Noreau and Ceresniak, who are righties.

I picked and wanted Tanner Pearson a LW with shooting skills who went to the Kings. But I won't complain if this was, overall, the smartest choice to make.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:08 AM
Neknim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
I would not compare the upside of Skjei to McDonagh at the time they both were drafted. When McD was drafted, he was thought to be a potentially big-bodied offensive blueliner. One of the reasons that some of the Canadiens' folks were okay with letting him go was because McDonagh did not develop quickly enough to satisfy that he would become what was projected.
Keep in mind that the 07 draft wasnt as deep on D as this one while Skjei got a little lost with all the other D.

Neknim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:17 AM
RangerBlues

The scouting report I read last night stated he was an exceptional skater/defender FAST. Not very physical No shot, poor passer.

Shooting and passing can be taught. Size and speed cannot.

He has a NHL skill set now.
See ya in four years when the rest of the game comes together.

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:18 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
The most pertinent quote here, IMO is

Looks like the best D available exclusive of the guys like Murray picked very early. Best athlete available? Maybe. Possible weakness? They are not saying ANYTHING about his shot, good, bad, or otherwise, accurate, heavy, whatever. Hopefully if he is so athletic whatever he has can be maximized by technique.

A lefty, this is a balanced addition to Noreau and Ceresniak, who are righties.

I picked and wanted Tanner Pearson a LW with shooting skills who went to the Kings. But I won't complain if this was, overall, the smartest choice to make.

I'm a bit confused about that as well.

One quote:

"His shot is average at best and needs to be powered up."

And another:

"He has a heavy, accurate slapshot that is a weapon from the point."

So which is it?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:20 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Grant Sonier had Skjei rated #19 overall.

Quote:
Size and skating make Skjei very attractive and I would not be surprised if a team stepped up and selected him higher than I have him listed. His physical tools, especially his range of skating, are already NHL-like to go along with his size and overall ability. He had a solid World U-18s, where I believe he jumped up the draft charts for many.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story...pects-rankings

Sonier had Skjei going to Chicago at #18 in his mock

Quote:
Skjei's size and skating are so attractive that the Hawks will not be able to pass on him. Playing for the U.S. national developmental team -- based in Ann Arbor, Michigan -- puts him in the backyard of Chicago's head scout and you can bet he's gotten plenty of viewings. The more you watch Skjei, the more you realize what he has is natural.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story...nal-mock-draft

NHL skater at the age of 18. Like Chris Kreider and his skating ability in 2009.

Sonier analysis of the selection

Quote:
Tremendous size and skating are the hallmarks of his game. He's got natural overall ability. He's the type of player who, the more I watch, the more I like him. He helped lead the USNTDP to its fourth straight gold medal and proved to be one of the leaders on that team.

This is the second time the Rangers have dipped into the USNTDP in the past two first rounds, having selected J.T. Miller in 2011.

The Blueshirts have some prospect depth on the blue line now, perhaps giving them a little trade ammunition for that scoring forward this summer.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog/...-blog-analysis

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:25 AM
Chief

Like the Isles pick Pokka...and of course Detroit gets Frk...frkin' unbelievable. Praying Zharlov is there for the Rangers later.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:34 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlues View Post
The scouting report I read last night stated he was an exceptional skater/defender FAST. Not very physical No shot, poor passer.

Shooting and passing can be taught. Size and speed cannot.

He has a NHL skill set now.
See ya in four years when the rest of the game comes together.
Exactly.
Brett Hedican is a good comparable, especially at this early stage, but if we are lucky this guy might develop into A MINI version of Victor Hedman, with most of the size, all of the speed, maybe more --- though the shot will remain a mystery.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:00 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Skjei has been on a pairing with Seth Jones, right?

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I'm a bit confused about that as well.

One quote:

"His shot is average at best and needs to be powered up."

And another:

"He has a heavy, accurate slapshot that is a weapon from the point."

So which is it?
ISS rated his shot as Very Good (which is like a B for them). They say: "He attacks open lanes aggressively & has a good shot". Red Line is silent on his shot.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:15 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
Skjei has been on a pairing with Seth Jones, right?
He said so in an interview I read.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:27 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
ISS rated his shot as Very Good (which is like a B for them). They say: "He attacks open lanes aggressively & has a good shot". Red Line is silent on his shot.
Thanks. As long as his shot is at least average + I'm not too worried. That's not a bad starting point.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:32 PM
Jacques Strap

Corey Pronman on Brady Skjei.

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1319

37. Brady Skjei, Defense, USA Under-18 National Team-USHL

Skjei is quite an intriguing prospect to scout, as while average across the board aside from his size and skating, it's the latter that is clearly visible every time he plays and generates his value. Skjei is a well above-average to elite skater who moves as well as you'll find in a 6'3" player. I've seen instances where forwards would get two or three steps behind him and with a few side steps he would catch up to them. His first step is pretty explosive and makes him very dangerous on the rush as he regularly will take the puck out of his own end and bring it up through the opponent's blue line with ease. Skjei's puck skills are solid for a big man, but compared to a wide talent pool they're pretty average. The same can be said for his puck-moving skills as well which is why despite that one high-end ability, I don't think he has a significant offensive ceiling. In his own end, he uses his mobility well to stay with his checks, but doesn't use his large frame as much as he could and seems a bit timid at times. Whoever drafts him will be betting on the tremendous physical tools and hoping something else in his game takes a jump forward along the way to really propel his value.

Jacques Strap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:55 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Skjei, who had 12 points in 24 games for the U.S. team, is considered one of the better skaters in the draft.

"It's world-class," Cole said of his skating. "He's probably one of the better skaters to come through here in 15 years. Ö

"The thing about it is that when you have guys that fast they are usually smaller. But he's 6-3."
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...aft/55751868/1

Old
06-23-2012, 03:21 PM
Glennsoe
Horndog

I like this kid already.

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:36 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Just going to echo what i said in the Nieves thread.

I haven't had the chance to join in today.

I am VERY happy with our draft.

Happy my guy went out west, too.

Skjei and Nieves are great kids. Great skaters. I love going with players that are going through the USA Hockey development path. HS, USHL/USNTDP, NCAA, AHL, NHL.

Continuing the build the identity here.

This Rangers team will be hard to keep up with, the speed is going to be a great asset.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:55 PM
collegehockeyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
AWESOME so we finally get kreider out of bc so people can stop whining about jerry york only to be proven wrong and now we are already whining about lucia for the 3 years skjei will be there lol
LOL so true. its to be expected from a badger fan lucia doesnt coach the defensemen anyway- mike guentzel does. guentzel returned to Minnesota as D coach last year and they were the top defense in the WCHA (with only 1 upperclassmen on the blue line). like i said earlier- guentzel coached defensemen alex goligoski, paul martin, erik johnson, keith ballard, etc in college. skjei could not be in better hands. he is going to love playing under that guy

collegehockeyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:59 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher View Post
Leopold Martin Ballard EJ Goligoski Leddy Bickel Ness Fairchild Kessel Vanek Wheeler Okposo might disagree. Overwhelming in D men.
And Okposo struggled because he left school too early. He needed to be at Minn for 3 years. 1.5 years was not good enough.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:03 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Just going to echo what i said in the Nieves thread.

I haven't had the chance to join in today.

I am VERY happy with our draft.

Happy my guy went out west, too.

Skjei and Nieves are great kids. Great skaters. I love going with players that are going through the USA Hockey development path. HS, USHL/USNTDP, NCAA, AHL, NHL.

Continuing the build the identity here.

This Rangers team will be hard to keep up with, the speed is going to be a great asset.

I agree. I can't say this was the kid I wanted. (It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Jankowski was still available at this spot, since he also fits the Ranger draft profile.) But, it would appear all of these picks have big upside, including Spelling. That should continue to be the approach going forward on draft day. The pipeline has been built, just keep the product flowing.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:04 PM
collegehockeyguy

dont know if this has been posted. brady skjei's interview

http://blueshirtsunited.com/videos/1...jei-one-on-one

collegehockeyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:51 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
He's 3 months older than me. He could be my friend.

06-23-2012, 04:54 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Skjei is represented by Ben Hankinson. Same advisor/agent as Ryan McDonagh,Mike Sauer and Stu Bickel.

Old
06-23-2012, 06:20 PM
mahonistan*

anyone else think it's nuts that we are drafting kids born in 1994? Where the heck did the time go?

mahonistan* is offline   Reply With Quote