HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Round I, Pick #28: Brady Skjei, D

Old
06-25-2012, 02:39 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I didn't have Skjei rated too much lower than #28, but I had both of those guys rated much earlier. While I like him as a prospect, I think the Rangers might be getting a little too enamored with this "big guy who can skate" mentality. Yeah, McDonagh and Kreider both fit that mold, but they were also very solid players in their own right. Nieves and Skjei are great skaters, but they're much bigger projects, IMO.
It's gonna be awhile before we see either one, that's why it doesn't bother me that we went with another Dman. The depth is pretty outstanding right now and maybe we can put more emphasis on forwards in much better future drafts and free agency.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:59 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I'm in full agreement with both of you, BN13 and TRX. I like Skjei, but I'd have gone with Collberg. I liked Thrower, more, too.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:00 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Among players drafted 2005-08, only 30 players -- 6% -- taken outside the top 100 have played 100 NHL games.
https://twitter.com/LukeDeCock/statu...59752827633664

What a great stat. 6%. 4 drafts.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:27 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
No, big d-men who don't hit and who shy away from contact and who don't try become targets.

McDonagh is a big d-man who isn't plastering people out there all the time and he is far from a target. As long as Skjei puts in the work and plays hard, he'll be fine.
A matter of semantics I suspect. McDonagh doesn't shy from contact at all. He lets his hits come to him--he doesn't chase after them. That's more or less what I would suspect from Skjei.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
A matter of semantics I suspect. McDonagh doesn't shy from contact at all. He lets his hits come to him--he doesn't chase after them. That's more or less what I would suspect from Skjei.
Yeah, it's about what you'll see from him, too. They play a very similar game.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:37 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I didn't have Skjei rated too much lower than #28, but I had both of those guys rated much earlier. While I like him as a prospect, I think the Rangers might be getting a little too enamored with this "big guy who can skate" mentality. Yeah, McDonagh and Kreider both fit that mold, but they were also very solid players in their own right. Nieves and Skjei are great skaters, but they're much bigger projects, IMO.
Watching too much Los Angeles Kings hockey.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:25 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Tom Pyatt
Trevor Koverko
Greg Beller
Ryan Russell

David Kveton
Tomas Zaborsky
Eric Hunter
Lukas Zeliska

Max Campbell
Carl Hagelin
David Skokan
Danny Hobbs

Dale Weise
Chris Doyle
Mitch Gaulton

Not too bad - 3 NHLers out of 15 picks for the NYR organization = 15% or 2,5 times higher than the league average.
We could of had guys like niklas Hjalmarsson, Darren Helm, Tom Wandell, Sergei Kotitsyn, Anton Stralman ( we got him anyways for free), Partic Hornqvist (2005), Viktor Stahlberg (2006), Jamie Benn and Carl Gunnarsson (2007), Gustav Nyqvist (2008) though? Keith Yandle was barely out of our reach as well in this category...

Picking up late round Swedes seems to be the trick (Hank, Hagelin, Fast?) to learn...
Almost all late American, Canadian, Czech and Russian picks fail. Interesting...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 06:09 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Brady Skjei. #16

US NTDP USHL game 3/16/12

10:05. PK. Good work in the corner. Breaks up a pass and goes down the other end for a scoring chance

11:30. Lugs the puck out of his end.

12:09. PP. Pinches along the wall. Working on the PP point.

14:50. Sets up a play in front of the net

http://reelhockeyscouting.com/wp-con...2/04/Skjei.m4v

http://reelhockeyscouting.com/2012/0...ntdp-u18-ushl/

Old
06-26-2012, 06:19 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
Quote:
Brady Skjei. #16

10:05. PK. Good work in the corner. Breaks up a pass and goes down the other end for a scoring chance

Small sample size, but it looks like he got lots of icetime.

McDonagh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 06:25 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Skjei likens his game to Nick Leddy who spent 1 year at Minnesota before turning pro

Quote:
Skjei also mentioned another Minnesota-born d-man, Nick Leddy, as someone he has followed for years
https://twitter.com/JimCerny/status/217682781570994176

Skjei is much bigger than Leddy who is 3 years older than Skjei. McDonagh and Leddy are the two players Skjei likes.

Old
06-26-2012, 06:40 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Tom Pyatt
Trevor Koverko
Greg Beller
Ryan Russell

David Kveton
Tomas Zaborsky
Eric Hunter
Lukas Zeliska

Max Campbell
Carl Hagelin
David Skokan
Danny Hobbs

Dale Weise
Chris Doyle
Mitch Gaulton

Not too bad - 3 NHLers out of 15 picks for the NYR organization = 15% or 2,5 times higher than the league average.
Actually only Pyatt has 100 NHL games (which was the criteria used)

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 06:55 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
On which areas he would like to improve his game: “Get stronger for sure, be more physical on the ice. I think I’m a big boy, I can be more physical on the ice. Strength and be more physical, there’s a lot of things to improve on but those are the two main things.”

On whether he’ll pick the brains of former first-rounders J.T. Miller and Dylan McIlrath at prospect camp: “Yeah, for sure. I started talking to J.T., I sat by him in the locker room. He started guiding me through what was going to happen. It was nice talk to them, get a feel for what’s going on. They’re good players, it’s fun to skate with them out there.”

On whether playing on the Olympic-sized rink at the University of Minnesota will hinder his physical development: “I don’t think so. Half the games will be on normal ice. I love the Olympic ice. I feel like I can use my skating to my advantage. But I think I’ll be physical on that ice too.”

On who he modeled his game after: “I played against (the Blackhawks) Nick Leddy in high school hockey. Not that he’s my idol but I like the way he played so I kind of tried modeling after him. Watching a guy like (Ryan) McDonagh in the playoff, obviously he stepped up his game and played unbelievable. I think maybe I can play like McDonagh some day. It will take a while, he’s worked hard. We’ll see where I go.”
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...ales_operator/

Miller and Skjei were teammates at the US NTDP in 10-11. Skjei and McIlrath are both Newport Sports clients. Skjei is not represented by Ben Hankinson who reps McDonagh,Sauer and Bickel.

Old
06-26-2012, 07:13 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Brady Skjei. #16

Good find, RB. Skating is 100% as advertised. Looked good running the PP as well.

06-26-2012, 11:13 PM
NewYorkRangers89*

Quote:
Tom Pyatt
Trevor Koverko
Greg Beller
Ryan Russell

David Kveton
Tomas Zaborsky
Eric Hunter
Lukas Zeliska

Max Campbell
Carl Hagelin
David Skokan
Danny Hobbs

Dale Weise
Chris Doyle
Mitch Gaulton

We could of had guys like niklas Hjalmarsson, Darren Helm, Tom Wandell, Sergei Kotitsyn, Anton Stralman ( we got him anyways for free), Partic Hornqvist (2005), Viktor Stahlberg (2006), Jamie Benn and Carl Gunnarsson (2007), Gustav Nyqvist (2008) though? Keith Yandle was barely out of our reach as well in this category...

Picking up late round Swedes seems to be the trick (Hank, Hagelin, Fast?) to learn...
Almost all late American, Canadian, Czech and Russian picks fail. Interesting...

When you say we could have had Benn, Kostitsyn and Stalberg i almost feel as bad as when we drafted Jessiman but it's not as bad thank god. Hopefully our guys have other teams wishing they drafted them in those years.

NewYorkRangers89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:52 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Tom Pyatt
Trevor Koverko
Greg Beller
Ryan Russell

David Kveton
Tomas Zaborsky
Eric Hunter
Lukas Zeliska

Max Campbell
Carl Hagelin
David Skokan
Danny Hobbs

Dale Weise
Chris Doyle
Mitch Gaulton

Sauer has 98 games. Without injury he would make it 4 out of 31 for Rangers. Not bad, not bad at all.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:55 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Sauer has 98 games. Without injury he would make it 4 out of 31 for Rangers. Not bad, not bad at all.
he wasn't outside the top 100 so he doesn't apply to the 'stat'

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:56 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Wasn't Sauer a top 100 pick in his draft year?

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:19 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Sauer was drafted 40th overall in 2005.

Rangers Fail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:15 AM
NYR Viper

I would LOVE if Skjei became Nick Leddy. He is a solid top-4 d-man already in Chicago. I just hope he has the same work ethic as McDonagh as Mac is a gym rat.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:30 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Regina Pats own Skjei's CHL rights. Not that he would bail out on Minny but the Rangers usually have the CHL discussion at prospects camp. They had it with Kreider and Miller. They tried to sign Kreider after his frosh season. If Skjei shows signs of being close to the NHl after his freshman year,they're going to attempt to sign him. Leddy left after his freshman year. He played in prospects camp in 2010. Hawks signed him.

Old
06-27-2012, 07:52 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

Skjei likens his game to Nick Leddy who spent 1 year at Minnesota before turning pro

https://twitter.com/JimCerny/status/217682781570994176

Skjei is much bigger than Leddy who is 3 years older than Skjei. McDonagh and Leddy are the two players Skjei likes.
Leddy and Fowler, these are the two guys he looks up to.

I don't think he'll be one and done in Minny:

Quote:
He'll follow in the footsteps of his grandfather, who played football at the school.

"Every Minnesota kid wants to be a Gopher growing up," he said. "With the coaching staff they have, going in there I can really learn off them and improve my game."
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=635098

Quote:
I would not call Sauer a success story. Good player, bad history of injuries, same as his brother. I voiced these same concerns before we drafted him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I would LOVE if Skjei became Nick Leddy. He is a solid top-4 d-man already in Chicago. I just hope he has the same work ethic as McDonagh as Mac is a gym rat.
Nick Leddy is a solid top 4 Dman?

Old
06-27-2012, 08:27 AM
NYR Viper

Yeah, I would say so. He has been a solid d-man for the Blackhawks for a couple of seasons. They love him in Chicago and part of the reason they were rumored to be possibly moving Hjalmersson was due tot he raise they projected Leddy to get.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:43 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Yeah, I would say so. He has been a solid d-man for the Blackhawks for a couple of seasons. They love him in Chicago and part of the reason they were rumored to be possibly moving Hjalmersson was due tot he raise they projected Leddy to get.
I don't think 'solid' when I think of NL, maybe that word gets thrown around way too much, just maybe

Offensively he's a step up from Hjalmersson, but both were pretty unspectacular on the defensive end.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:45 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

I view Nick Leddy as a McDonagh-lite. Has good offensive skills and instincts like McDonagh, about equal to DZ on the defensive end.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:51 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I don't think 'solid' when I think of NL, maybe that word gets thrown around way too much, just maybe

Offensively he's a step up from Hjalmersson, but both were pretty unspectacular on the defensive end.
I think he is solid for his age. He is good at carrying the puck, very good skater, good with the puck. He has a ways to go in terms of development but he was a top-4 d-man on a playoff team.

Either way, I think Skjei stays in college a year or 2 longer than Leddy did.